Photo

How Long Should Abandoned Cars Stay?

71 replies to this topic
Mafia Righthand_Man
  • Mafia Righthand_Man

Shuffle off.

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:36 AM

If it at all impedes with the game trying to show more than 5 cars in the game's equivalent of Times Square, then it should be a very short time in which cars stay. I want immersion, damnit. Not a ghost town.

NoSkillz187
  • NoSkillz187

The Godfather

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:54 AM

I think a full in game day would be good. But sometimes cars that you left did stay for awhile in SA.

TDP992
  • TDP992

weed purple like a lakers away jersey

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:01 AM

I hope cars never disappear. That way we can actually use the driveway. smile.gif

jimm
  • jimm

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:05 AM

it would be cool if u actually parked ur car in a parking lot or in ny parking space, the cars could stay there for much longer maybe like 5-6 ingame days nd then maybe it could get towed away.................nd if u park the car in a bad area then it would get jacked much sooner( in maybe 2 ingame days)...........i also think that cars left sitting in the middle of the road should be towed away much sooner like maybe 1/2 an ingame day...................or else it would look pretty odd!!!

Cursed
  • Cursed

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:23 AM Edited by Cursed, 12 June 2007 - 07:44 PM.

Well it all depends where it is and what condition. If its in the middle of the road it will either be stolen or towed. If its damaged badly in the road it will probably be towed. If its parked in a space with the engine off then 2-3 days then towed or clamped.

devil.gif Cursed devil.gif

manofpeace
  • manofpeace

Stay Gold

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (jimm @ Jun 12 2007, 01:05)
it would be cool if u actually parked ur car in a parking lot or in ny parking space, the cars could stay there for much longer maybe like 5-6 ingame days nd then maybe it could get towed away.................nd if u park the car in a bad area then it would get jacked much sooner( in maybe 2 ingame days)...........i also think that cars left sitting in the middle of the road should be towed away much sooner like maybe 1/2 an ingame day...................or else it would look pretty odd!!!

That was too long for a car to be stolen in a bad neighborhood and it would not take 6 hrs to get a car out of the road. People call 911 and get the cops to tow it away as soon as they find it just sitting there.

Many days/forever for just a parking lot in the middle of the city that doesn't serve a specific business is adequite, simply because nobody will care if there's a car there. Sure, it might get jacked, but if it wasn't it would stay there. Parking a car in a parallel parking zone would get it towed within a few game hrs because of general parking laws. If you parked your car in a bad neighborhood it would easily be taken within a few game hrs/days. In a good neighborhood, your car is extremely unlikely to be stolen, but remember: this is Liberty City . Your car could be towed away for taking up space and you not being there, or if you park in front of someone's house then they could report that a car is sitting near their house and nobody has gotten it out of the way in a while. Basically, there are a lot of ways your car could not be there when you return or be stripped. But my favorite idea for this thread is: It is a video game and not real life, so not too many of those would happen. Yeah, it could be stolen and stuff, but all this towing and jacking is rediculous.

jimm
  • jimm

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:31 AM Edited by jimm, 12 June 2007 - 06:33 AM.

QUOTE (manofpeace @ Jun 12 2007, 06:24)

That was too long for a car to be stolen in a bad neighborhood and it would not take 6 hrs to get a car out of the road. People call 911 and get the cops to tow it away as soon as they find it just sitting there.

Many days/forever for just a parking lot in the middle of the city that doesn't serve a specific business is adequite, simply because nobody will care if there's a car there. Sure, it might get jacked, but if it wasn't it would stay there. Parking a car in a parallel parking zone would get it towed within a few game hrs because of general parking laws. If you parked your car in a bad neighborhood it would easily be taken within a few game hrs/days. In a good neighborhood, your car is extremely unlikely to be stolen, but remember: this is Liberty City . Your car could be towed away for taking up space and you not being there, or if you park in front of someone's house then they could report that a car is sitting near their house and nobody has gotten it out of the way in a while. Basically, there are a lot of ways your car could not be there when you return or be stripped. But my favorite idea for this thread is: It is a video game and not real life, so not too many of those would happen. Yeah, it could be stolen and stuff, but all this towing and jacking is rediculous.

dont u understand towing in the sense..........maybe u jus get a message on ur mobile saying that ur car has been towed awy or something...........its not like the tow truck is actually gona come nd toe it away, yeas definately that would be rediculois nd unecessary!!!...........nd by the way judging by ur comments , it seens u like to have the game to be realistic(which is contradictry to ur final statement!!).....if ur saying tht a car is gona get jacked or vanishes in jus a few game hours then GTA4 is gona be more like the old GTA's itself.........nd thats not gud when it comes to car vanishing

nd by the way jacking way a feature in SA where u could see actual thugs jacking cars, so i think that feature will still remain

manofpeace
  • manofpeace

Stay Gold

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (jimm @ Jun 12 2007, 01:31)
QUOTE (manofpeace @ Jun 12 2007, 06:24)

dont u understand towing in the sense..........maybe u jus get a message on ur mobile saying that ur car has been towed awy or something...........its not like the tow truck is actually gona come nd toe it away, yeas definately that would be rediculois nd unecessary!!!...........nd by the way judging by ur comments , it seens u like to have the game to be realistic(which is contradictry to ur final statement!!).....if ur saying tht a car is gona get jacked or vanishes in jus a few game hours then GTA4 is gona be more like the old GTA's itself.........nd thats not gud when it comes to car vanishing

nd by the way jacking way a feature in SA where u could see actual thugs jacking cars, so i think that feature will still remain

I was pointing out how a car would be stolen if the game is that realistic. I don't wan't my games ultra realistic, just really awesome.

Oskoo
  • Oskoo

GTA IV - BRING IT ON!

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:52 AM

Nice ideas here. This should be similar not just for vehicles but for other objects like bodies, trash/rubbish, debris etc. Obviously a body would be dealt with much faster.

libertycity_fiction
  • libertycity_fiction

Dear brother I do not spread rumours I create them

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:37 PM

well in gta 3 unlike SA you could get out of a car and grab another one roam around like 15 real min go back where you left it and it would steel be there.

All-Blacks
  • All-Blacks

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:55 PM

I hope R* don't go too far with this realism crap, when I ditch a car, I don't go back to it, I normally just steal a new one. So I don't see the point of the car just sitting there for days on end. Just make it simple, and make it dissappear after say, you leave a 1km radius of where you parked the car. But if you leave it on the road, it'll dissappear much quicker.

jimm
  • jimm

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (All-Blacks @ Jun 12 2007, 12:55)
I hope R* don't go too far with this realism crap, when I ditch a car, I don't go back to it, I normally just steal a new one. So I don't see the point of the car just sitting there for days on end. Just make it simple, and make it dissappear after say, you leave a 1km radius of where you parked the car. But if you leave it on the road, it'll dissappear much quicker.

butyou see the action of jacking a car is much more complicated now!!...........its not like u jus pull someone out of the car and u drive away,nikko has to break the glass open the doors, nd if the cars parked hed also have to hotwire it!!..........its not gona be simple like the old days buddy

Waterbottle
  • Waterbottle

second daughter of my father's sister anne marit

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

It should depend on where you abandoned it, I think if you leave a car in the middle of the highway it should be gone relatively quickly. However if you leave it in a parking spot or somewhere secluded it would be nice if it didn't disappear for a while.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

Until someone steals it, which in NY or Liberty is aproximetly 5 minutes so in game time 5 sec biggrin.gif

RoCKNRoLL1974
  • RoCKNRoLL1974

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:15 AM

cars should def stick around...occassional car thefts ok, but stressing occassional

freak2121
  • freak2121

I'm bored.

• Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:16 AM

A tow truck should come and tow the car biggrin.gif other than the car just sitting there

Simseth
  • Simseth

SimSeth

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:26 AM

Perhaps every car gets a unique license plate number, and if your car is stolen, you could find it.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:31 AM

I liked hearing the peds may call the cops when they see crime, as that repeats something Rockstar already used in The Warriors and in fact, the HUD and police seem similar from reports, and I like the Warriors design so this is exciting.

I think random changes to environment will still be rather unpredictable

HAGGIE_GTA
  • HAGGIE_GTA

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:32 AM

i say 24 hours

dodgeviper500
  • dodgeviper500

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:34 AM

until somebody takes it

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:47 AM

It's easy to say it's been stolen but the fact of the matter is the memory and CPU in the game won't hold things in memory that are placed in the environment as objects not needed for the main story, in priority, considering the mass amount of things needed to animate for all the elements. Alot of work goes in each time they ramp up the hardware and also try to out do their last game.

In some regard, they could rest on their laurels but they are driven to make GTA match their ideas and dreams and we're all glad to be along for that ride. I expressed my dismay at the early 2D versions, but since GTA3, there had been something that really lifts Rockstar above other companies... I wish them all the luck in the World to see their dreams come true on screen

josh995
  • josh995

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE (Lonely_One @ Jun 12 2007, 02:48)
Are you kidding me, it being towed or stolen in six hours is not realistic. I think a full GTA day until it disappears would be best.

not realistic? well i live in chicago and if you leave your car for just like 20 minutes, your car will be gone. unless youre parked legally, your car is fresh bait for the tow trucks.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:12 AM

The premise of buying a home location with a garage negates itself if one were to get their car any time, day or night! tounge.gif

HAGGIE_GTA
  • HAGGIE_GTA

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:19 AM

It would be cool to be able to lock your cars, for extra safety and since they are locked they will never disappear because u obviously want them again since you locked it.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:33 AM

Keys make sense in Uncharted, yes. In GTA, no, not really

Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:57 AM Edited by Supreme., 07 January 2008 - 03:03 AM.

I'd like for some of them to be stolen, yeah. But I'm not sure about them being towed...

On the theft part, though, R* will probably have random peds doing the car jacking thing, maybe just like we can (whether they're parked or not) possibly with the various animations such as breaking the window too. That'd be cool to see, especially if the cops caught them. happy.gif

As for them disappearing, the only thing that really matters to me is whether or not they disappear while you're still in the vicinity! It's kind of funny though, because in past GTAs, sometimes I would go a long ways away and return to see that same car I ditched like 15 minutes prior. Then on other occasions I'd get out of the car, walk half a block, turn around, and it'd be gone! lol.gif

4doora
  • 4doora

Car Guy

• Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:05 AM

They should get towed, that'd be cool
maybe have an impound lot with all the cars you've left everywhere, in the same condition you left them... just a thought sigh.gif

maybe like 10 real minutes before a car gets towed (if it's just left in the middle of the road)

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:11 AM

That idea was Supposedly employed in San Andreas with the car dealership, but I felt it just didn't really work, or I was doing it wrong?!?! notify.gif

Neal40000
  • Neal40000

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

ide say a full game day thats 24 minutes

edit: yea the car depots a good idea, if you dont pay to get the car back or wahtever it just gets crushed.

ceedot
  • ceedot

Zeestar.

• Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

sh*t, this was bumped from 6 months ago.

They should stay for a while. But then again, someone could always steal it, or tow it away.
At least longer than they used to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users