Quantcast

» «
Photo

What Percent of GTA Players are under 18?

385 replies to this topic

Poll: Are You? (1296 member(s) have cast votes)

Are You?

1. Under 18 (661 votes [55.73%])

Percentage of vote: 55.73%

2. 18-21 (307 votes [25.89%])

Percentage of vote: 25.89%

3. 21-25 (117 votes [9.87%])

Percentage of vote: 9.87%

4. 25+ (101 votes [8.52%])

Percentage of vote: 8.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:56 AM

I remember when Mortal Kombat first came out and you could put in blood cheats and do different button combos to get more violent effects. I was twelve at the time and I would crack up and get a big kick out of it. The same summer it came out I spent a month with my cousin who was thirteen and he had the game. He got so carried away with it he busted my lip while imitating it.

Moral?

Not every kid is an idiot, but some of them are. I have no story to back it up, but I'm sure not every adult is emotionally mature enough to be given the freedom they earn simply by getting old. General experience dictates as much.

I'd say the regulatory committees are doing the best they can with arbitrary age limits, or at least believe so.

Johnny Burbank
  • Johnny Burbank

Hustler

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:53 AM

An 18 year old is a man as far as I am concerned. I realize that people are maturing at a slower pace than they used to (in terms of responsibilites, marriage pressures, kid pressures, etc), but still if you can die for your country at 18 you should be able to buy GTA4.

At the same time, there is artistry in these games that make you think and reflect upon life, and I can see where that would appeal to 15 or 16 or 17 year old. I would have loved this game at that age. So I can see where with a parent's permission (to satisfy only the legal question) that a person between 15 and 18 should be allowed to buy the game.

Glycerine
  • Glycerine

The Waffle King

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:54 AM

Its hard to base a kid on maturity. Some 14 year old kid could be more mature than a 25 year lod but one day he might snap and make GTA a reality. For me I think it depends on how mentaly stable the person playing it is. I'm 16 and after I play a violent game I feel like getting into a fight but I know well enough not to.

G twenty-nine
  • G twenty-nine

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:56 AM

I'm 23 (April). I don't see why age matters, though. If people want to play, they will play.

Johnny Burbank
  • Johnny Burbank

Hustler

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (Glycerine @ Jun 9 2007, 03:54)
Its hard to base a kid on maturity. Some 14 year old kid could be more mature than a 25 year lod but one day he might snap and make GTA a reality. For me I think it depends on how mentaly stable the person playing it is. I'm 16 and after I play a violent game I feel like getting into a fight but I know well enough not to.

You'd feel like getting into a fight with or without GTA. Young men have always wanted to get into fights. I was in at least 10 when I was younger. At least. And then one day, poof, the switch turned off. For me it happened at about 23. But I know men today in their 40s and 50s who are still looking to brawl, prove themselves, they never get it out of their system. So I don't think anyone should blame GTA for violence. Men are agressive by nature. Sometimes it gets expressed through violence, sometimes it is channeled in other ways, such as computer programmers for R* who channel it into violent action in videogames.

It's because of agression that men make games like GTA. It's not the other way around as many people want to say like that lawyer in Florida who is trying to ban the game. And if someone wants to go around a re-enanct a scene in GTA4 and go on a killing spree then that person is nuts and GTA is not the cause of it. Blame the big man in the sky for that.

ecwphan
  • ecwphan

gtaphan

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:13 AM

i'm 15. i'd say that it's how well people can handle it. i was 12 when i got vice city and whenever i slept my dad said i was always tossing and turning and mumbling to myself then my ps2 decided to be a dick and stop working i gave all my games away and what do you know i stoped tossing and turning but for some reason now i can handle gta better now in my sleep.hopefully some maniac won't attempt to re-nact a scene from gta iv

OG-LOC R360
  • OG-LOC R360

Group: BSC-FC

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:17 AM

I'm 15 and leagally allowed to play GTA. There is a row whenever we should have a AO ® rating for games like GTA, and I vote yes, if they do. I own the PS2 caffiened GTA SA, as well. I think I got it when I was 12.

lastmanonearth
  • lastmanonearth

Je suis Drunken Cowboy

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:32 AM

I'm 19 but I played GTA before I was 10, then I bought GTAII at, like 11, and when GTA3 came out I was 13 and I bought it. And because I haven't played any of the 'GTA ___ Stories' series, every time so far I bought a GTA I was underage. I also have VC and SA. When GTAIV comes out in October I will have just finished hs.

I think the percentage of under 18 GTA players is about 50%.

super_slav
  • super_slav

Fo Shizzle

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

I was playing GTA when i was 7-8 years old now im 15.

Azil2fu
  • Azil2fu

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:15 PM

I'm 21 and i never thought that there would be as many young people here

D- Ice
  • D- Ice

Gangsta

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:45 PM

I think altogether, a small proportion (less than 40%) are under 18. I heard once the average age of a GTA player was like 30 something. However, I think it just happens those people don't come onto these sites often, as they might have other, bigger responsibilities than coming here.

I'm 18, and been playing GTA since GTA 3 came to Iraq (at about same time Vice city came out in US). I think it's wrong to put age limits on the media, like games film etc... Games rated 'Mature' should not be to people 17+ but people who are MATURE, i.e. mentally. I'm sure mature enought to play GTA before I was 18. I'm just not mature enough not to copy it. rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

nucleartown
  • nucleartown

Apple Freak!

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:17 PM

I have been playing since 6. lol. I'm 12 now. though.

I was like playing gta 3, vicecity, san andreas and hope to play iv.

Ph3L1z14n0
  • Ph3L1z14n0

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (Bruinfany2k @ Jun 8 2007, 02:47)
I'll say 60-80%.... And it's hard to say weather a teenager should be playing it because every kid has a different maturity level so that's a tough call.

Exactly, some kids like me played Turok 2 when we were around 11 but that never made an influence in my violent behavior, i've never been arrested, i don't touch drugs and i drink ocassionally, i'm 19 years old

Azil2fu
  • Azil2fu

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:46 PM

Yes but look at in the united states every massacres. They should forbidden violent video games for teenagers and weapons by the same occasion... So much people dead for nothing...

Ph3L1z14n0
  • Ph3L1z14n0

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Azil2fu @ Jun 9 2007, 14:46)
Yes but look at in the united states every massacres. They should forbidden violent video games for teenagers and weapons by the same occasion... So much people dead for nothing...

Who said it was because of videogames? teenagers punch, kick, insult and shoot people because of thousands or reasons confused.gif

spike88
  • spike88

Big Boss

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:11 PM

I say they should sell games based on a pysch profile, but thats not going to happen. Alot of minors play GTA esplecially my 10 year old brother and his friend. It is not the issue of the game being to violent but the issue of kids not being parented to the point that they do not know better.

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

i'm 23 and i was 20 when i stood in line to pick up San Andreas (pre-order night before release) and most of the people there were under 18. i felt really old being there and i was only 20!

¤FireStyle¤
  • ¤FireStyle¤

Prankster

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:52 PM

i'm 23 and i was 20 when i stood in line to pick up San Andreas (pre-order night before release) and most of the people there were under 18. i felt really old being there and i was only 20!

Yea I hear you man !

Personally I believe that a large number of gta players are below 18.....but I also believe that r* dosen't design the gta games with 12, 13 and even 16 yr olds in mind. I think the gta games are really designed for more mature gamers in mind...because I'm sure there are a lot of 15 yr olds out there who didn't get all the jokes, satire in Vice city and SA and were wondering why Good Charlotte wasn't included on the soundtrack !!!

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:30 PM

In my hood evey 6 year old kid plays GTA, cause i lend them my copy biggrin.gif . So i`m helping in development and shape of young minds into......something.....

I`m 18 now and i played every GTA so how old was i when GTA3 (the most brutal GTA) came out? Hahahahahaha!!!!!

ClearBlack
  • ClearBlack

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:25 PM Edited by ClearBlack, 09 June 2007 - 08:29 PM.

I think the gta games are really designed for more mature gamers in mind...because I'm sure there are a lot of 15 yr olds out there who didn't get all the jokes, satire in Vice city and SA and were wondering why Good Charlotte wasn't included on the soundtrack !!!

"The average game player is 33 years old and has been playing games for 12 years."

Taken from this site: http://www.theesa.co...op_10_facts.php

I know this topic is about people under 18, but more of the gamers playing this game are well over 18. I am 31, and will be playing this game. This age is getting higher each year, because when these 18 yr olds were still in diapers, I was playing the Atari and Kaliko Vision. My first PC was the Commodore64.

So I think the more interesting pole would be "What is your age" kinda deal.

Anyways, good post.

nabo45
  • nabo45

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

Dude ive been playing GTA since i was 8 and im 14 now, and everybody i know are playing GTA, and they been playing since GTA2 and they are still playing...

- nabo45

FrozenFire
  • FrozenFire

Holy crap

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:05 PM

I'm 14 currently, and i've been playing GTA since the very first one came out (The old bird's-eye-view ones).
I never understood most of the jokes in them until I got older, but they were still my favorite games =P
As far as I know, all of my friends have played GTA since they were very young kids.

Ugee
  • Ugee

I pwn n00bs

• Members

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:33 AM

I've been playing GTA since the release.
I'm currently turning 16 in August.
Doesn't really matter how old you are, as long as your mature enough to keep that kind of behavior in the game.
The way I see it, games like GTA let us do things that we really shouldn't do in real life.
So now we get to do it without harming anyone biggrin.gif

GTA3leading man
  • GTA3leading man

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:24 AM

everyone in the US who isnt over 60 and isnt a insane god freak has played gta

Bren_34
  • Bren_34

LCPD Riot Cop

• Members

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (Glycerine @ Jun 8 2007, 23:54)
Its hard to base a kid on maturity. Some 14 year old kid could be more mature than a 25 year lod but one day he might snap and make GTA a reality.

Yeah, but then that person was f*cked up to begin with. No normal person just snaps and does that. So they would have done something sooner or later.

Bren_34
  • Bren_34

LCPD Riot Cop

• Members

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (¤FireStyle¤ @ Jun 9 2007, 14:52)

Yea I hear you man !

Personally I believe that a large number of gta players are below 18.....but I also believe that r* dosen't design the gta games with 12, 13 and even 16 yr olds in mind. I think the gta games are really designed for more mature gamers in mind...because I'm sure there are a lot of 15 yr olds out there who didn't get all the jokes, satire in Vice city and SA and were wondering why Good Charlotte wasn't included on the soundtrack !!!

I hate G.C.

I'm almost 16, and I understood every joke in GTA SA, even when I was 11. Im not naive I tell you that!

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE (ClearBlack @ Jun 9 2007, 14:25)
"The average game player is 33 years old and has been playing games for 12 years."

Taken from this site: http://www.theesa.co...op_10_facts.php

I know this topic is about people under 18, but more of the gamers playing this game are well over 18. I am 31, and will be playing this game. This age is getting higher each year, because when these 18 yr olds were still in diapers, I was playing the Atari and Kaliko Vision. My first PC was the Commodore64.

So I think the more interesting pole would be "What is your age" kinda deal.

Anyways, good post.

they don't factor in in those studies parents buying games for kids.

Bren_34
  • Bren_34

LCPD Riot Cop

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:07 AM

I go with my parents when I buy em even though they know I'm the one playing them, but to the shop I go since I have a parent that says I can play them, they let me have it.

bigg z
  • bigg z

Things will be different...

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:23 AM

I'm 13 years old and have only played GTA San Andreas so far. I would have played VC and III, but I don't think I could stand the missing features in the latter games. monocle.gif

Anyway, I'm definitely stable enough mentally to handle GTA games. I may not have as much stress as adults, but school can be a b**** lol.gif . It's a great way to unwind and relieve stress. Once I stop playing, I don't have any violent thoughts at all, I just return to my normal life. cool.gif

skyline93
  • skyline93

Yeah boi.

• Members

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

Haha im 13 too tounge.gif But i've played Gta sense gta 1 came out because my neighbour had gta 1 when it camed out and i used to goto him and play it and i didnt eaven know what game it was lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users