Photo

Early Side-Missions In Locked-Off Areas

290 replies to this topic
OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:05 AM

I guess this map would count as fairly major. It shows the restricted boundaries that define the 4 star system, and also has the military zones highlighted for completeness.
QUOTE (OrionSR @ Jan 11 2008, 14:13)
SA Restricted Area Map

Seemann managed to dig the restricted area coordinates out of the executable, and pdescobar used this information to create a map of the 4 and 5 star restricted areas of San Andreas. The only detail that seems just a tad off, is that the gap to cross the bay is on the LV side of the Amphibious Assault Ship, even though it looks like there is more room on the other side. <Reference Link>

user posted image
  • OG Viking likes this

Win98crash
  • Win98crash

Tenpenny's Envy

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Aug 1 2008, 04:05)
I guess this map would count as fairly major.

That map is great! Thanks a lot.

There's nothing like doing the Pizza Boy delivery missions in Venturas with 4 stars lol.gif

zmoonchild
  • zmoonchild

Dumb Tag

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (rubregg @ Jul 29 2008, 12:39)
Guide updated

I've finally come around to updating the guide and adding some of the things that have come up in this topic and elsewhere. Shout if I've missed a biggie. All updates are coloured yellow.

Enjoy  biggrin.gif

I was reading through your “updated” guide and thought I’d add a minor correction… Kickstart doesn’t require any Bike Skill… Unlike Dirt Track, you can start it with no Bike Skill at all.

The Bradygames guide for PC and Xbox states that you must have 50% Bike Skill… they are also incorrect.

Just thought I’d pass that along.
smile.gif

radicell
  • radicell

Arsenal Fan

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Aug 1 2008, 17:05)
I guess this map would count as fairly major. It shows the restricted boundaries that define the 4 star system, and also has the military zones highlighted for completeness.
QUOTE (OrionSR @ Jan 11 2008, 14:13)
SA Restricted Area Map

Seemann managed to dig the restricted area coordinates out of the executable, and pdescobar used this information to create a map of the 4 and 5 star restricted areas of San Andreas. The only detail that seems just a tad off, is that the gap to cross the bay is on the LV side of the Amphibious Assault Ship, even though it looks like there is more room on the other side. <Reference Link>

user posted image

I would guess that these boundaries only apply to when I'm on vehicles? 'Cause isn't it possible to swim into the Sherman Dam bay and collect the oysters there without triggering a 4-star?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (radicell @ Aug 1 2008, 02:57)
I would guess that these boundaries only apply to when I'm on vehicles? 'Cause isn't it possible to swim into the Sherman Dam bay and collect the oysters there without triggering a 4-star?

The boundaries still apply, the exception is only for swimming. If he jumps up out of the water (like grabbing for a passing boat), or touches bottom, then the wanted level will be triggered. A vehicle is not necessary. However, the military zone will still trigger a wanted level even if CJ is swimming.

jheath
  • jheath

Nameless Redshirt

• Members

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (rubregg @ Jul 29 2008, 10:39)
I've finally come around to updating the guide and adding some of the things that have come up in this topic and elsewhere. Shout if I've missed a biggie. All updates are coloured yellow.

I think you should update Section 6.9. (Girlfriends) in the guide to include OrionSR's "bump progress to 45%" find.

In short, start dating Katie, Michelle, and Barbara before finding all of the oysters, then fail dates repeatedly until the your progress with all the girls is at or below 0%. When you acquire the last oyster, the bonus should reset your progress with all the the girls to 45%.

radicell
  • radicell

Arsenal Fan

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Aug 2 2008, 03:11)
QUOTE (radicell @ Aug 1 2008, 02:57)

The boundaries still apply, the exception is only for swimming. If he jumps up out of the water (like grabbing for a passing boat), or touches bottom, then the wanted level will be triggered. A vehicle is not necessary. However, the military zone will still trigger a wanted level even if CJ is swimming.

Gotcha, thanks.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (jheath @ Aug 2 2008, 17:45)
I think you should update Section 6.9. (Girlfriends) in the guide to include OrionSR's "bump progress to 45%" find.

In short, start dating Katie, Michelle, and Barbara before finding all of the oysters, then fail dates repeatedly until the your progress with all the girls is at or below 0%. When you acquire the last oyster, the bonus should reset your progress with all the the girls to 45%.

On a similar note: zmoonchild discovered that failing a food date leaves the fast food restaurants unlocked. They won't be marked on the map but can still be used to maintain a healthy fat supply.

Steve Crook
  • Steve Crook

Player

• Members

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Aug 3 2008, 22:21)
On a similar note: zmoonchild discovered that failing a food date leaves the fast food restaurants unlocked. They won't be marked on the map but can still be used to maintain a healthy fat supply.

If you're in a zone not yet opened, do the police line up waiting for you when you come out if you go in a restaurant opened up like that?

Steve

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (Steve Crook @ Aug 3 2008, 15:39)
QUOTE (OrionSR @ Aug 3 2008, 22:21)

If you're in a zone not yet opened, do the police line up waiting for you when you come out if you go in a restaurant opened up like that?

Steve

Yes. The police will be lined up and waiting for CJ if he has a wanted level. It is not necessary to be in a restricted area. A quick test in Dillimore spawned 1 cop for 1 star, 2 cops for 2 stars, 4 cops for 3 stars, and 5 cops for 4 stars. This save is restricted to a 4 star wanted level so I'm not sure if the numbers change if CJ has 5 or 6 stars. It is my understanding that the game will always try to spawn these foot cops when CJ is on foot in a pedestrian zone and has a wanted level.

oelpogi03
  • oelpogi03

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

how come I have a different "Madd Dog" gameplay? After stealing his rhyme book for OG LOG, I have to kidnap Madd Dog and drive him off to the ocean cliff and eventually kill him. Unlike from some GTA San Andreas sites, CJ befriends Madd Dogg after saving his life for trying to commit suicide...do i have a different version of San Andreas?

radicell
  • radicell

Arsenal Fan

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (oelpogi03 @ Aug 7 2008, 20:10)
how come I have a different "Madd Dog" gameplay? After stealing his rhyme book for OG LOG, I have to kidnap Madd Dog and drive him off to the ocean cliff and eventually kill him. Unlike from some GTA San Andreas sites, CJ befriends Madd Dogg after saving his life for trying to commit suicide...do i have a different version of San Andreas?

In that mission ('Management Issues), it's not Madd Dogg you're killing, it's his manager. OG Loc has you kill Madd Dogg's manager so that Madd Dogg's career will be ruined so that Loc can take over.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

This has to be, without doubt, the BEST guide I've seen. A big thanks to everyone involved, especially rubregg cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif . You guys inspired me to test my skills to the limit and I was finally able to get all snapshots, horseshoes and oysters in one run (and raise my driving skill quite a lot tounge.gif ).

While I didn't discover anything interesting like Orion and my runs were about an hour-long each, I'd have to add that I DIDN'T feed CJ at all (except during the mission "Ryder") and was still able to avoid the gym glitch. At the end of the day, my CJ was skinny as hell but I was still able to go to the gyms and was able to use the equipments without any "Worked out enough" messages popping in.

I don't know what happened, was I just lucky or did I bump into something interesting but I just thought I'd tell you that. Sorry if this has already been mentioned in the recent updates since I didn't bother looking at all pages.

cacarla
  • cacarla

Criticism Follows Success

• Members

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE (Dark_side646 @ Aug 30 2008, 01:16)
This has to be, without doubt, the BEST guide I've seen. A big thanks to everyone involved, especially rubregg cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif . You guys inspired me to test my skills to the limit and I was finally able to get all snapshots, horseshoes and oysters in one run (and raise my driving skill quite a lot tounge.gif ).

This is fantastic! icon14.gif Dark_Side did you have extra armor for the 4-star exploration or was it a normal endeavour.. which weapon did you use? I'm just curious to know? Fantastic run smile.gif . Well done. And yup, all credit goes to Rubregg and Orion.. colgate.gif

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:15 PM Edited by Dark_side646, 30 August 2008 - 08:25 PM.

Thanks. smile.gif Yeah, I was fully prepared with all the perks that could help me out biggrin.gif . I didn't use guns that much but kept the handy SMG and tear gas and used them when things got tight. Mainly I just kept going and using cars as much as I could. I had to contend myself at times with bikes too but cars were my best friends all along. They offered me better protection from bullets, they were in abundance and I was more comfortable in them with the police banging on all sides tha I would be with a bike. devil.gif

I had to reload several times confused.gif and it really seemed like an awful chore at times but when it was finally done, it was well worth the effort.

I'm sorry I can't give any videos or other proofs except for my own words sad.gif but the boost that I got in the driving skills by using cars was really worth it (hate to drive all day at the airport). Guess I really suck at 2-wheelers suicidal.gif.

I guess it might be pretty obvious but (in case it's not) you can easily use the ambulance (a vehicle I used a lot) to get 2 horseshoes with a little less hassle. Number 11 and 39 in dark52's Horseshoe map at gfaqs. Just thought I'd say so. tounge.gif

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for your comments, OrionSR, Zmoonchild and jheath.
Very good & helpful; read, noted, will work in as soon as bbcode is fully back. icon14.gif ...guess I did miss out on quite a bit while I was away...

Thanks a lot Dark_side646.
I'm glad you find my guide helpful and that inspired you to try out 4star stuff yourself. Congrats on your success!! I must admit you're probably the first player I hear who prefers cars in restricted territory. If you're all for 4 wheels, try out the firetruck, the Dune or the Sandking (there's one parked at The Big Ear in the desert). Or - especially if you're afraid of exploding - give the Mountain Bike a try, even if it's two wheels short. Mastering the mega hop gives access to way more horseshoes than any ambulance ever could... wink.gif

Don't worry about videos or proof - this is a guide and not a contest. It's great to hear you're inspired to do missions in restricted territory - that's exactly what this topic is for smile.gif. If you get to like it, you could always join the chain game. We're playing with a modified save file that adds, among many other things, 4star race tournaments and 4star gang-wars to the fun. It's a pinned topic in the Mission Help section - or just click the image in my sig.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

Well, thats one reason I thanked you guys biggrin.gif . While the Firetruck and Dune were mentioned by Orion, which inspired me to use them most of the time, I also found the Ambulance, Tanker and Hotdog van to be quite helpful too. Believe me, the Dune proved to be a life saver during the Horseshoe-run. blush.gif

I did try using the NRG and bicycles but I just couldn't manage mega-hops. confused.gif Not to mention, I completely suck at dodging the police cars so I decided to get the safest and most abundant means of transport - the cars. Even though they get bashed pretty quickly, there's always another one nearby.

As for the chain-games save file you just mentioned then it seems like a dream come true. biggrin.gif I'll try to get this baby as soon as I can which won't happen for a week (exam time approaching cryani.gif ). I might also have problems if the file is a big one, I'm using dial-up suicidal.gif . But still thanks for the info. I'll be looking forward to it.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:13 PM

Yes, I agree, the mega-hops do require a bit of practice. I still can't do them always, maybe 50% of my tries. These 50% are worth it though.

Good luck for your exams and hope to see you in the chain game afterwards. Don't worry, in this round the 4star phase is over since we've reached Las Venturas in the storyline - but there'll be a next round after it. And don't worry about file sizes, a gtasa save file is a mere 198 kilobytes big so that shouldn't be a problem I hope. It basically works like this: you download the last player's save file, play one mission and upload your new save file for the next player to download. Just have a look at the current topic and you'll get the idea.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:42 PM

Add the Broadway to the list of good 4-wheel 4-star vehicles. If it takes too much damage then toggle the pimping mission to reset the vehicle to 200% health. Flat tires can still be a concern as they aren't repaired by the mission.

The Barracks is another good brute force vehicle that can take a lot of damage. Actually, most of the heavy trucks are a good choices, especially the Roadtrain. The Packer is interesting when the cops try to ram the vehicle from behind, but pretty useless in the cities.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:16 PM Edited by Dark_side646, 01 September 2008 - 06:24 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll give the broadways and police vehicles a try sometimes with those tricks you mentioned. devil.gif
Of course, that would mean another start. Sadly, I always overwrite my master-saves when I start with the story confused.gif . I'll have to do this once again but meh, as long as it's fun who cares?

bmx rule
  • bmx rule

Military Of Mobile Defence Infantry; Private

• Members

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE (rubregg @ Jun 7 2007, 20:06)
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/245/tutorialtitle2pa7.jpg

Early Side-Missions In Locked-Off Areas

A Beginner's Guide to 4 Wanted Stars (incl. videos)

Updated on July 29th 2008. New bits are yellow.

Contents

0. Collection Of Links & Resources (http://www.gtaforums...dpost&p=4282811)

1. Introduction (http://www.gtaforums...dpost&p=4282813)
.. .. .. 1.1. First Things First
.. .. .. 1.2. What This Is
.. .. .. 1.3. What This Isn't
.. .. .. 1.4. Sources

2. Preparations (http://www.gtaforums...dpost&p=4282815)

3. Getting There (http://www.gtaforums...dpost&p=4282818)
.. .. .. 3.1. Enter LV / Flying Outside The Map
.. .. .. 3.2. Enter SF / Mission Triggers (a)
.. .. .. 3.3. Mission Triggers (b)
.. .. .. 3.4. Enter Without Flying

4. Getting Back (http://www.gtaforums...dpost&p=4282820)

5. Surviving There / General Tips (http://www.gtaforums...dpost&p=4282824)
.. .. .. 5.1. Various
.. .. .. 5.2. Driving
.. .. .. 5.3. Vehicle Swapping
.. .. .. 5.4. Armour, Health and Indoor Locations
.. .. .. 5.5. Flying
.. .. .. 5.6. Boats

6. Tips For Specific Side-Missions (http://www.gtaforums...dpost&p=4282825)
.. .. .. 6.1. Collectibles
.. .. .. 6.2. NRG Challenge
.. .. .. 6.3. Stadium Events (50% bike skill for LV races)
.. .. .. 6.4. Courier Missions
.. .. .. 6.5. Chiliad Challenge (from 7:00 to 18:00 / 40% cycling skill)
.. .. .. 6.6. Gym Trainers (after 'Drive-Thru' / 25% muscle)
.. .. .. 6.7. Schools (after 'Deconstruction')
.. .. .. 6.8. Weapons / Miniguns
.. .. .. 6.9. Girlfriends
.. .. .. 6.10. The Unnecessary and The Impossible
.. .. .. 6.11. The Elite Of San Andreas

7. Thanks (http://www.gtaforums...dpost&p=4282826)

not getting 4 star enter the cheat wanted level never rises which is circle, right, circle, right, left, square, triangle, up.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:44 PM

What? And ruin the fun of it? No chance. angry.gif

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (bmx rule @ Sep 2 2008, 08:35)
not getting 4 star enter the cheat wanted level never rises which is circle, right, circle, right, left, square, triangle, up.

What Dark_side646 said. This guide's about doing it without cheats; with cheats it's as easy as pointless. rolleyes.gif

RichardG
  • RichardG

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

Sorry for the bump, (the rules won't say the deadline, so I consider it 30 days).

Is it just for me or the LV jump isn't working for me?
My bike knocks the "wall" and I fall from it.

Steve Crook
  • Steve Crook

Player

• Members

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (RichardG @ Sep 28 2008, 18:24)
Sorry for the bump, (the rules won't say the deadline, so I consider it 30 days).

Which LV jump? There are quite a few of them. Can you be more specific?

Steve

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:55 AM Edited by rubregg, 29 September 2008 - 06:58 AM.

QUOTE (RichardG @ Sep 28 2008, 20:24)

Are you talking about the LV Early Access jump over the water? If so, hitting the right spot for take-off is a bit tricky and might require a bit of practice. If not, like Steve said, which jump are you talking about?

...and don't worry about posting in here, perfectly fine by me.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

Well, I dunno if this is gonna help anyone or not and I might be a tad bit late in telling everyone now but, for those who feel TOO adventurous, do NOT do NRG-500 BEFORE the BMX challenge as this will add to the Mission Attempts and Completed Stats 2 times.

However, if you're like me and like to keep the mission Attempts & Passed stats in check, do them in reverse order as it'll add only one in Attempts but 2 in Passed.

Sorry if it didn't really help.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the info, Dark_side646. I usually do BMX before NRG and never really got into the details too much. ...so what happens if you do BMX first and NRG next, but fail on NRG? I think you'll get mission attempts added in this case, but I am not 100% sure.

In any case, if you want the 'free' NRG at Easter Basin, you'll have to have passed *both* challenges, NRG and BMX. Then you can just grab the NRG and drive away, failing the mission but not getting mission attempts booked. If you haven't passed BMX yet, you will get further mission attempts for NRG, even if you have passed NRG before. The reason for this is that the script handles BMX and NRG in the same mission.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

I didn't look into it that much but I think you DO get another Attempt stat increase if you fail NRG before doing BMX.
Also, to get the free NRG *BEFORE* passing the challenge, we can just push it a little. Don't worry about cops as for me, 99% of the time, they weren't anywhere close to the bike.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

If you push the NRG out of the trigger zone before mounting then the bike won't get set to 300% health. All the more incentive to complete both missions early I guess. Which is too bad since both mission rename the save. I tend to use the 4 named missions (BMX, NRG, 8-Track, and Dirt Track) for marking my progress. LS Done, SF Done, that sort of thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users