Quantcast

» «
Photo

Health/Armor Meters

132 replies to this topic

Poll: Which style of health/armor meter do you prefer? (392 member(s) have cast votes)

Which style of health/armor meter do you prefer?

1. The number system (125 votes [34.06%])

Percentage of vote: 34.06%

2. The bar system (188 votes [51.23%])

Percentage of vote: 51.23%

3. Other (54 votes [14.71%])

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote
D- Ice
  • D- Ice

Gangsta

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

Since this is next gen realism "things will be different".
How about displaying health as pictograms. You could have like ten bottles of vodka, and everytime you get shot, one breaks. To refill, simply drink more vodka. lol.gif

Seriously, I want to see you having choice over the HUD.
With health, either have percentages, a bar or both (percentage inside bar).
With wanted levels, if they bring back a similarly quantified wanted level system, you should be able to choose stars, the angry cop heads or both (stars with angry cop heads inside wink.gif )

soleil
  • soleil

Yes, I play video games.

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (jeremy_jeremy00 @ Jun 5 2007, 09:21)
QUOTE (soleil @ Jun 4 2007, 20:59)
If we are going for realism, maybe Niko goes down in one shot, unless he's wearing armor.  But even then the force should put him on his back.

would be kinda gay, how you supposed to have a decent gun fight with loads of people when you die first shot!! I know they said they are going for more realism but they didnt say its gonna be just like real life.

all this realism talk is doin my head in!

Well I figure that you're NOT supposed to be able to have a decent gun fight with loads of people... unless you had some strategic advantage. This is what realism is.

If you want to take on 10 guys, you shouldn't be able to just rush into the middle of them and blast away. You should have to stalk them from afar, and snipe one. Then as the others rush for cover, try to snipe more before they reach cover. Then use your other weapons that have splash damage like grenades to get the guys who are behind objects. They might not know where you are still, so the ones who are taking cover from the wrong angle you will continue to snipe. Eventually you get them all, but not in a few seconds at point blank because you have 100 times more health than them.

You can't rush up to ten guys and shoot them all down, but you DO get to carry grenades and sniper rifles and many other weapons all at the same time, which is NOT realistic. THAT is how you balance gameplay and realism.

kingofnexus
  • kingofnexus

"Look, mom, i'm STILL playing with myself!"

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (GTA fo LIFE @ Jun 5 2007, 12:40)
I don't like numbers, because its imposible in real life to find out how much % of life do you have now.
BARS ARE BETTER.

Oh yeah and in real life everyone can gauge how much life they have on a bar though sarcasm.gif

Fully customisable hood is what is needed. Where you check which objects in the hood to show, then you can decide between nothing, bar, percentage or or both. You could aslo toggle map, and any other information that is needed.

Rashon.
  • Rashon.

What Comes Around Goes Around

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Civkiller @ Jun 4 2007, 22:19)
QUOTE (rashon125 @ Jun 5 2007, 01:20)
QUOTE (Civkiller @ Jun 4 2007, 15:50)
how about this...NEITHER!!! i like the idea of depending where u get shot is how ur life goes...shot in the head BOOM instant death, shot in the arm then either the arm is weakened or unusable, shot in the leg u stumble but on top of all of that if there's a certain amount of blood that comes out of ur body then u should die of internal/external bleeding...these bars and numbers are dated now and so blah, doesn't really add to the games anymore and it makes the games easier cause u can judge what u can do with the amount of life u have left or until u get the next health pack which i'm sorry but if u have 2 bullets in u, i'm pretty sure that ur foot wouldn't step on it and u're automatically healed...in a shooting game it would be cool to see u hide in a corner while u patch urself up...

No, just, no. That would be fitting into the category of too realistic. Without a meter of any kind, you'll never know when you'll die and when you end up dying, it'll just suck. When you're walking down the street, and you pass by some rival gang members that end up shooting you in the head, it just ends there. Doesn't that suck? When you're starting the main part of the mission with lots of shooting, you get shot in the head, and Boom!, it ends there. Doesn't that suck also? When you're shot in the leg, and end up slowing down for the rest of the mission without a health icon, you're vulnerable to more gunshots, and you end up dying. It just sucks. Those kinds of effects shouldn't last too long or else it'll make the game impossible to beat. That's basically what you're saying

I think I made a point there.

what i was saying doesn't really have to do with realism but more of strategics...yes if u get shot once in the head u SHOULD die...and YES if u get shot in the leg it SHOULD slow u down...and by having those features it would make u a better player cause u would ACTUALLY have to use ur brain for once instead of closing ur eyes and blasting away...that's just not fun...i like having the feeling of fear that something bad will happen if i turn a corner or something like that...it makes the game more interesting....and not boring or predictable...for the realism part i don't really care it's not about that...i just want more strategics added...cause all of the past gta's were just too easy besides that stupid rc plane mission in SA took me FOREVER!!! lol

In reality, if you get shot anywhere, it'll hurt and immediately disable you for something. If you get shot in the arm, you can barely even use a two-handed weapon, come on, now. I wouldn't want to go somewhere with the potentially immediate threat of getting killed by a single gun shot or a few gun shots.

And will everyone stop with the bars and numbers not being realistic for gosh sake. Do you really think GTA IV needs to be the most realistic it can get? It's a game.

scoot
  • scoot

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:47 PM

how about neither?

ya know something like in fight night round 3 where the HUD isnt implemented, but rather, that pain and such things are shown through body language and emotions. if your almost dying for instance in GTA IV, how about one hand holding the ribs cage whilst the other holsters the gun, whilst Niko is limping away??

just a thought

EDIT: ahhh so someone got there first, my bad. sorry guys

psalm66six
  • psalm66six

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

How about they pull a "Getaway".

Civkiller
  • Civkiller

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (rashon125 @ Jun 5 2007, 19:34)
QUOTE (Civkiller @ Jun 4 2007, 22:19)
QUOTE (rashon125 @ Jun 5 2007, 01:20)
QUOTE (Civkiller @ Jun 4 2007, 15:50)
how about this...NEITHER!!! i like the idea of depending where u get shot is how ur life goes...shot in the head BOOM instant death, shot in the arm then either the arm is weakened or unusable, shot in the leg u stumble but on top of all of that if there's a certain amount of blood that comes out of ur body then u should die of internal/external bleeding...these bars and numbers are dated now and so blah, doesn't really add to the games anymore and it makes the games easier cause u can judge what u can do with the amount of life u have left or until u get the next health pack which i'm sorry but if u have 2 bullets in u, i'm pretty sure that ur foot wouldn't step on it and u're automatically healed...in a shooting game it would be cool to see u hide in a corner while u patch urself up...

No, just, no. That would be fitting into the category of too realistic. Without a meter of any kind, you'll never know when you'll die and when you end up dying, it'll just suck. When you're walking down the street, and you pass by some rival gang members that end up shooting you in the head, it just ends there. Doesn't that suck? When you're starting the main part of the mission with lots of shooting, you get shot in the head, and Boom!, it ends there. Doesn't that suck also? When you're shot in the leg, and end up slowing down for the rest of the mission without a health icon, you're vulnerable to more gunshots, and you end up dying. It just sucks. Those kinds of effects shouldn't last too long or else it'll make the game impossible to beat. That's basically what you're saying

I think I made a point there.

what i was saying doesn't really have to do with realism but more of strategics...yes if u get shot once in the head u SHOULD die...and YES if u get shot in the leg it SHOULD slow u down...and by having those features it would make u a better player cause u would ACTUALLY have to use ur brain for once instead of closing ur eyes and blasting away...that's just not fun...i like having the feeling of fear that something bad will happen if i turn a corner or something like that...it makes the game more interesting....and not boring or predictable...for the realism part i don't really care it's not about that...i just want more strategics added...cause all of the past gta's were just too easy besides that stupid rc plane mission in SA took me FOREVER!!! lol

In reality, if you get shot anywhere, it'll hurt and immediately disable you for something. If you get shot in the arm, you can barely even use a two-handed weapon, come on, now. I wouldn't want to go somewhere with the potentially immediate threat of getting killed by a single gun shot or a few gun shots.

And will everyone stop with the bars and numbers not being realistic for gosh sake. Do you really think GTA IV needs to be the most realistic it can get? It's a game.

no, but the bars are outdated now...they should come up with new ideas...

soleil
  • soleil

Yes, I play video games.

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:30 PM

Let's stop with the quote trains.

I think health meters should be eliminated. If he is hurt, you will hear him breathe faster and heavier, and slow down when running.

I have no problem NOT being a protagonist who has twenty times more health than any other person in the game. We can reload, so it's not like dying will force you to start over from scratch.

Topher Ridge
  • Topher Ridge

Hell's Angels LC bad ass!

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

Ok, you want new ideas, well tell me when was the last time you saw a movie without a romance story in it, or read a fantasy book without magic, or swords. There are some things that shouldn't change in books, or movies and games. And the thing in games is the health bar, it will always be there in some way shape or form so stop friggin complaining about it being there and just deal with. The Getaway already tried the no hud no life bar thing and it sucked, it sucked bad.

soleil
  • soleil

Yes, I play video games.

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Topher Ridge @ Jun 5 2007, 21:32)
Ok, you want new ideas, well tell me when was the last time you saw a movie without a romance story in it, or read a fantasy book without magic, or swords. There are some things that shouldn't change in books, or movies and games. And the thing in games is the health bar, it will always be there in some way shape or form so stop friggin complaining about it being there and just deal with. The Getaway already tried the no hud no life bar thing and it sucked, it sucked bad.

Ya but in other books, movies and games, the makers didn't say that things will be different. So they kept the same formula. But in GTA IV, things will be different.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:44 PM

poll added

Usually I can look at a status bar and guess within a few percent. But I still prefer the number system at times. Numbers lead me to gamble more on what I think I can get away with, becasue it's number that can be inerpreted instantly. With bars, I seem to spend that extra split second trying to guess what number it would be.

Starion
  • Starion

hmm..

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (soleil @ Jun 5 2007, 16:28)
Well I figure that you're NOT supposed to be able to have a decent gun fight with loads of people... unless you had some strategic advantage.  This is what realism is.

Thats just plain stupid. We want to have fun in the game, not abide by textbook realism 24/7 in the game.

Mokiesmoky
  • Mokiesmoky

Finally Famous

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (starion @ Jun 4 2007, 20:28)
How about we have the health display in numbers, but we have a red ring around the number gauge, which is what displays the health also.

I agree with this. We have both a number and a bar.

soleil
  • soleil

Yes, I play video games.

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (starion @ Jun 5 2007, 22:08)
QUOTE (soleil @ Jun 5 2007, 16:28)
Well I figure that you're NOT supposed to be able to have a decent gun fight with loads of people... unless you had some strategic advantage.á This is what realism is.

Thats just plain stupid. We want to have fun in the game, not abide by textbook realism 24/7 in the game.

If you read the rest of my post, you'd see that I was not calling for textbook realism 24/7.

Rashon.
  • Rashon.

What Comes Around Goes Around

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (scoot @ Jun 5 2007, 15:47)
how about neither?

ya know something like in fight night round 3 where the HUD isnt implemented, but rather, that pain and such things are shown through body language and emotions. if your almost dying for instance in GTA IV, how about one hand holding the ribs cage whilst the other holsters the gun, whilst Niko is limping away??

just a thought

EDIT: ahhh so someone got there first, my bad. sorry guys

One problem. This isn't Fight Night Round 3. This isn't a boxing game. Also, like I said before, what about two-handed weapons like M4s, MP5s, and such.

kilo73
  • kilo73

Sorry For the Bodies

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:40 AM

I wanna know why everyone thinks that bars and/or numbers are un-realistic.
Its not like Niko sees or something, its ment for the gamer. All it does is help you know how much life you got, whats rong wit that.

XBOXLOVER
  • XBOXLOVER

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:44 AM Edited by XBOXLOVER, 06 June 2007 - 05:48 AM.

I voted other. Both bars and numbers WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

el monoro
  • el monoro

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

i went with the bar system because if u have to quickly glance up at ur health during a shootout, its easy to read, and although numbers are accurate, they are not i deal for quickly glancing at in times of trouble.

Helsinki
  • Helsinki

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (Claude GTA3 @ Jun 4 2007, 17:42)
I prefer numbers,they're more accurate

Yeah, and if they had it range from 1 to 1,000,000, it'd be even more accurate... sarcasm.gif

scubakid
  • scubakid

Steve_c32

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:53 AM

I think the numbers are good, they should just devrease slower when your character gets 'better' instead of the bar getting longer, it just got in the way. For the wanted level, I reckon the stars should fill up and always be slowly decreasing, unless your at say 5 or six stars. You should be able to have say '3 and 1/2 stars' so the third star is only half full so you know how close you are to going up a star, and say you don't want to get to 5 stars where it won't decrease, you watch what your doing and make sure it doesn't go up muppetmaster_karma.gif

TDP992
  • TDP992

weed purple like a lakers away jersey

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

The bar system made more sense for San Andreas, since you could grow your health, and it looks better for the bar to get bigger, than for the numbers to go over 100 like in GTA III.

j_f_mac
  • j_f_mac

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:14 PM

I always hate fps with bars, so I voted for numbers.

TommyJohnson987
  • TommyJohnson987

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:58 PM

bar system..Much Better than the the number one. biggrin.gif

Topher Ridge
  • Topher Ridge

Hell's Angels LC bad ass!

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

Bar ftw

C0met
  • C0met

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:49 PM

I dislike the percentage and think a bar would be better. Hope they make it optional though.

james_root
  • james_root

Gaming Since Forever

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:09 PM

i prefer bar system

the skuzzbot
  • the skuzzbot

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

Honestly, I am indifferent for which they use, and they definitely will use one, for nostalgic reasons. I am also fairly certain that the health indication meter won't be necessary, that it will be possible to tell if Niko is injured based on body positioning, facial expressions, and his own speech, and maybe even a deformity of the screen itself (in extreme cases of injury).

But, on a side note, I remember playing San Andreas for the first time and being terrified that there was no health numbers

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (el monoro @ Jun 6 2007, 08:17)
i went with the bar system because if u have to quickly glance up at ur health during a shootout, its easy to read, and although numbers are accurate, they are not i deal for quickly glancing at in times of trouble.

I have to agree with that. There are times when I glance up and 30 could look like 80 or something.

tacojoe
  • tacojoe

Mother âucker

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:03 PM

The Bars are better because numbers look strange to me. I'd hope there would be bars.

OG-LOC R360
  • OG-LOC R360

Group: BSC-FC

• Members

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:14 AM

Here's my HUD with the health and armour meter.

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users