• This topic is locked This topic is locked
209 replies to this topic
OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Members
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:03 AM Edited by OrionSR, 11 June 2007 - 05:44 AM.

I'll take the next mission.

Mission: 555 We Tip
Called By: OrionSR
Link: <GTASnP>
Notes:

Valet Suit and Medic Suit now in Wardrobe
Valet Parking is an Asset
Trucking Level 6 complete

Completion: 42.25%

Gray_Eagle
  • Gray_Eagle

Professional Foo'

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:54 AM Edited by Gray_Eagle, 11 June 2007 - 09:55 AM.

Ill have a go

Mission: SUPPLY LINES...
Called By: Gray_Eagle
Link: http://gtasnp.com/3055
Notes:
---

Completion %: 42.78%

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:48 PM

It's been more than 6 hours since the last turn was completed. The 3-Mission Wait Rule has been reset and anyone may now call a turn.

Gray_Eagle
  • Gray_Eagle

Professional Foo'

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:37 PM Edited by Gray_Eagle, 11 June 2007 - 05:16 PM.

yay! ill take another

Mission: NEW MODEL ARMY
Link: http://gtasnp.com/3059
Notes:

NRG-500 and Go-Kart in Doherty garage
Modded the pheonix

Completion %: 43.31%

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:18 PM Edited by rubregg, 11 June 2007 - 07:48 PM.

Right, so after being busy recently I was just catching up with what's going on in here. Turns out: a lot.

Of all that, my favourite quote has *got* to be:
QUOTE (quartet1977 @ Jun 6 2007, 20:35)
i'm running vista, too. maybe that's part of the problem.

<no comment> lol.gif

Nice research into those bridge barricades, everyone! icon14.gif I'm curious what'll come out of Yay-Ka Boom Boom...

QUOTE (OrionSR)
So, am I way off topic with these comment[s]?

Obviously I personally don't think you are. And I'm taking notes too wink.gif

But now, lemme take a turn...

Mission: Deconstruction
Called by: rubregg
Link: here
Completion: 44.39%
Notes: LV gym trainer beaten, 1 unique jump

I tried that super bunny-hop thing but I only succeeded very rarely. How exactly do you do those, do you have to have a certain speed or is it just the right timing when to fire?

Oh, and Martin bridge is locked, I have v1.

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:23 PM Edited by JAJ, 11 June 2007 - 10:34 PM.

my turn...
Mission: Photo Opportunity
Called by: JAJ
Notes:
saved at the Doherty garage
Completion %: 44.32%

QUOTE (OrionSR)

I think this stuff is great & I enjoy reading about it, so I guess I'm taking notes too.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:53 PM Edited by OrionSR, 11 June 2007 - 10:03 PM.

QUOTE (rubregg @ Jun 11 2007, 11:18)
QUOTE (OrionSR)

Obviously I personally don't think you are. And I'm taking notes too wink.gif

[...]

I tried that super bunny-hop thing but I only succeeded very rarely. How exactly do you do those, do you have to have a certain speed or is it just the right timing when to fire?

Well, it doesn't seem to be bothering anyone else...

The timing on the mega-hop is a little tricky, but I'm starting to suspect there is more to it than that. In order to get more reliable mega-hops, I programmed a gamepad button with recorded pauses. Since the profiler doesn't record joypad button releases, I used the default keyboard keys to record the new control. Holding the hop button (L-Ctrl) for .4 or .5 seconds gives me enough time to supplement a long hold with the joypad button. So for my configuration, Joy10 holds hop for .4 sec, then releases L-Ctrl and fires (L-Alt) an Uzi .1 seconds later. Or, hold Joy5, then press Joy10, and release both .5 seconds before I want to mega-hop.

Speed doesn't matter, but some momentum is required in order to land on anything, or clear the desired obstacle. A mega-hop can be done from a stop. This is often a handy way to access a difficult spot, but often requires getting the front or back wheel up on a curb or a sloped surface in order to launch CJ in the chosen direction. I tried it on a hedge with the front wheel nearly vertical, and CJ shot clear across the road. I've been using this trick for the longest time to collect that difficult corona during the BMX Challenge.

Cycle skill and and hop hold seem to have a fairly strong influence on mega-hop height. At Cycle Max, a short hold gains about 36 feet in height, a long hold is 40 feet. I don't have data on lower skill levels; Cycle Skill can be maxed out fairly quickly. Bunny-hops can be used to clear most obstacles, and I'm trying to use them whenever possible until I learn the clearance requirements for the routes I'm taking.

This has proven to be somewhat inconsistent. Perhaps a finer resolution in the pause would help, but I doubt it. It seems to help if I let CJ coast for a second before mega-hopping. I think his foot position might have something to do with it, and have been practicing by setting up with left or right turns, but can't find a consistent pattern. Anyway, I think my timing is fairly good. I've always enjoyed playing with the mega-hop and have practiced it frequently. I starting to suspect that there's something else involved, and if I can nail it down, then I'll be able to land the mega-hops consistently without the need for a programmed control.

So I loaded up the current OG Loc save before any horseshoes were collected and padded the cycles to max. I'm crossing at the train bridge and simply mega-hopping over the barriers. I'm still in the experimental stage of figuring out where the ped cops spawn, and where I can hop or mega-hop from roof to roof, or over fences and rails so the cops can follow. I keep getting busted far too often, but once I know where I need to burn a little armor I should be fairly safe. Some of the more difficult horseshoes are much easier to collect using a cycle; this is working out better than expected. I'm also liking the fact that the cycles don't get flats or take damage and explode.

The invisible barriers over the bridges seem to have different heights. The train trestle between LS and LV has a medium height barrier that extends a few meters above the large yellow sign. The nameless bridge between Fallen Tree and Blueberry and the Mako Span (LV/LS Freeway) also have medium height barriers - the Mako Span only has one barrier, or a short rail if returning to LS. The Fallow and Martin Bridges both have short barriers that extend about a meter above the yellow sign, but this height still requires a mega-hop. Other bridges between LS and SF territories appear to have tall barriers that a mega-hop cannot clear. I haven't tested the height of the SF to LV barriers. I think some barriers are tall enough to be dangerous to low flying aircraft.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:39 AM Edited by OrionSR, 12 June 2007 - 02:58 AM.

I'll take a turn.

Mission: Back to School
Called by: OrionSR
Link: <GTASnP> Saved on v1 with v2 scripts
Link: <GTASnP> ID Converted to version 2
Link: <unbase> ID Converted to version 2
Notes: Hotknife spawns at the Driving School
Completion %: 45.45%

This is weird. Normally there are only 53 total turfs, and Ballas get 40 of them. I don't think it matters though. I believe everything is reset before the next round of gang wars.

Biggest gang Ballas 39
2nd biggest gang Los Santos Vagos 18

Edit: Oops, I uploaded the correct file, but had converted the backup. The second link should work for you. Or, download the conversion program, the link is on the first page. If this happens again, then drop the save on the application and it should fix the problem for you. Links have been update, SnP is really slow at the moment.

blentz
  • blentz

>/dev/null 2>&1

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:23 AM Edited by blentz, 12 June 2007 - 03:05 AM.

I'll have a turn...

OrionSR: I think that save file is bad... When I load it, it gives me the opening cutscene.

Thanks, OrionSR. My feeble brain did figure that out... eventually. dozingoff.gif

Mission: Jizzy
Called by: blentz
Link: http://www.unbase.com/n/2763903120
Notes: Parked Jizzy's Broadway in one of the safe house garages... ya know, in case someone wants to giggle at the license plate. Saved near Woozie's.
Completion: 45.99%

blentz
  • blentz

>/dev/null 2>&1

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:05 AM

Does anybody know the person/folks who host gtasnp.com? I'd be willing to mirror or host their site somewhere, if I could get access to their code/application.

Gray_Eagle
  • Gray_Eagle

Professional Foo'

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Jun 12 2007 @ 07:53)

The invisible barriers over the bridges seem to have different heights.

Well the Garver Bridge either has an invisible barrier that is higher than where it hits the supporting cable thingy that holds it up or more barriers start from right above the "No access across bridge " signs on the big cable, cos you cant go along there, i tried it last night.

@blentz: Samutz is the person you are looking for.

Gray_Eagle
  • Gray_Eagle

Professional Foo'

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:44 AM Edited by Gray_Eagle, 12 June 2007 - 04:53 AM.

And illl take a turn...

Mission: MOUNTAIN CLOUD BOYS
Link: http://gtasnp.com/3071
Notes:

I went to all the trouble of doing the bike school and was nearly back (thanks to rubreggs excellent locked missions guide) before i realised that schools are named missions....

Completion %:

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:17 AM Edited by rubregg, 12 June 2007 - 04:37 AM.

QUOTE (blentz @ Jun 12 2007, 05:05)
Does anybody know the person/folks who host gtasnp.com? I'd be willing to mirror or host their site somewhere, if I could get access to their code/application.

AFAIK that would be Samutz . A mirror? What a fine suggestion.... cool.gif
BTW, blentz, I really like your member title lol.gif

Territories
QUOTE (OrionSR)
This is weird. Normally there are only 53 total turfs, and Ballas get 40 of them. I don't think it matters though. I believe everything is reset before the next round of gang wars.

Biggest gang Ballas 39
I remember I noticed something like this before. I don't remember the details, but on some point in the game the total no. of territories suddenly went up by a couple (I think it was 57 too) and later down again. I never researched into this though - maybe we can keep an eye on those in the current round...

Another possibility could be the territory glitch, but I've never tried this and from reading I get the idea that you have to fly a really really long distance away from the mainland to get this. I think our flying skill is still at 0%, so that can't be it.

Mega-Hopping
Right. I play with keyboard and I don't have a joypad, so programming keys might be a bit tricky. Or is it? To be honest, I never did this so really have no clue...

It generally sounds as if the timing is quite important for the mega-hop, notably the time between releasing L-Ctrl and firing. ....and maybe I'll be more successful if I practiced *without* wanted stars first... In my last turn I went straight to the LV mountain bike you suggested and tried mega-hopping around LV. I must say, I might prefer the mountain bike over cars in 4starland, it was refreshingly funny to dodge cops on a bloody bike. On one point I was even surprised by the FBI courtesy of a fifth wanted star - but of course we're past 'Farewell My Love' so we can get 5 lol.gif

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:09 AM Edited by OrionSR, 12 June 2007 - 05:11 AM.

Gads, the barrier on the Gant Bridge is huge. Not just in height, but it extend more than half way across the bridge span. It's definitely a flying hazard. The other bridges connecting SF and LV also have very tall barriers, but they extend only a short distance on either side of the blockade. The barriers are roughly 80% the total height of the structure, and seem to be simple rectangular prisms. Here's a couple of screenshots from Gant.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

In the 3rd shot, CJ is facing the SF side of the barrier. This explains a lot of the plane crashes back when I was more inclined to fly into the restricted areas.

Now that the introductions are out of the way, should we move this conversation to your 4 Star topic? Maybe we can generate some on-going discussion and it can be a healthy and lasting thread.

I'm not sure I'm going to use my programmed mega-hop all that often. It kind of feels like cheating. I do program occasionally for specific tasks. Like super-sprint buttons for the triathlons, lift buttons for weights, or a drink button that doesn't release the Enter key in order to build a little fat. My gamepad doesn't work well at all for sprint swimming; on the surface, and especially underwater. The repeat rate is too slow or something, not sure why. So in order to reduce the risk of drowning on the deep oysters, I use a programmed button.

Anyway, you might be able to program a keyboard button, but I'm not sure how. I don't think it's necessary. I do pretty well without it. But keep in mind when it isn't working, it might not be a timing problem. There are often other factors, and that what I'm hoping to learn with the programmed button. For now, coast a little so... CJ can get his feet set. Try to take off from a level surface - it seems to help. Lift the front wheel and turn a little in case it doesn't work. The wheelie seems to help reduce falling, and turn to get the front wheel off the wall before landing.

There's a BMX spawn in the far north of LV, parked at the Burger Shot. I can't tell a difference between the BMX and Mt Bike quite yet. I seem to prefer the maneuverability of the BMX. But the Mt Bike appears to have a low gear, and it might be faster - haven't checked yet, so I'm not sure which will be best in the long run. The mega-hop height is the same for both vehicles.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:52 AM Edited by girishb_86, 12 June 2007 - 07:05 AM.

I'll have a go............

Mission: T-BONE MENDEZ
Called By: girishb_86
Link: **Click Here**
Notes: ---

Completion: 47.06%

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:55 AM Edited by OrionSR, 12 June 2007 - 10:26 AM.

I call the next turn.

Mission: Mike Toreno
Called By: OrionSR
Link: <unbase>
Notes:
Completion: 47.59%

Update with unbase link. Original mission submission time was 22 minutes after original post.

jetwells
  • jetwells

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:40 AM Edited by jetwells, 12 June 2007 - 09:45 AM.

Retract, I cant seem to download the file it isnt loading

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:23 AM Edited by JAJ, 12 June 2007 - 10:31 AM.

@jetwells: Sorry the GTASnP site didn't work for you. Here's a different site for OrionSR's last turn <Mike Toreno>. It's at UnBase.

QUOTE (Gray_Eagle @ Jun 12 2007 @ 00:53 )
I went to all the trouble of doing the bike school and was nearly back (thanks to rubreggs excellent locked missions guide) before i realised that schools are named missions....

The only School missions/tests that I know of that change the mission 'name' is Back to School (Driving school) & Learning to Fly. The Bike School & Boat School don't change the mission name & can be done along with any mission.

Gray_Eagle
  • Gray_Eagle

Professional Foo'

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (JAJ)
The only School missions/tests that I know of that change the mission 'name' is Back to School (Driving school) & Learning to Fly. The Bike School & Boat School don't change the mission name & can be done along with any mission.

... angry.gif angry.gif anuj_cop.gif

ah well. Theres always next time

jetwells
  • jetwells

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:07 PM Edited by jetwells, 12 June 2007 - 12:26 PM.

Mission: Outrider
Called By: Jet
Notes:
Completion: Forgot to look.

blentz
  • blentz

>/dev/null 2>&1

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:21 PM

I've sent a PM over to Samutz to see if he'd be willing to give me a slice of that sweet sweet gtasnp action. It's really a nice interface. I suppose I could try and write my own in PHP if I get denied, and then try to convince you all to use mine instead; Maybe with the v1 to v2 convert code, I could automatically convert file versions too. biggrin.gif

Gray_Eagle
  • Gray_Eagle

Professional Foo'

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:31 PM Edited by Gray_Eagle, 12 June 2007 - 01:59 PM.

Anyway, ill take a turn (10 minutes later and it is still downloading......) ooh! it finished and it only took 10:12!

Mission: RAN FA LI
Link: http://gtasnp.com/3083
Notes:

Bike School - Gold
NRG-500, FCR-900 and another bike i've forgotten (Freeway???) spawn outside Bike School in LV
Banshee in Doherty garage

@jetwells: If ever i forget to look at the completion %, i just add 0.53% for any mission. e.g. just then i had to add 1.59% (3 x 0.53) to OrionSR's 47.59%. One set of 0.53 was your mission and the other two were for Ran Fa Li and Bike School

@anybody who give a sh*te about bridge barriers: On the Martin Bridge ( Badlands to LV), you can ride a bike (i was on a Sanchez) along the red railing and get over the barrier wow.gif monocle.gif
Completion %: 49.18% (pretty sure)

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Jun 12 2007, 07:09)
Now that the introductions are out of the way, should we move this conversation to your 4 Star topic? Maybe we can generate some on-going discussion and it can be a healthy and lasting thread.

Yeah, I think that's a good idea. ...now that this 4star topic *finally* exists... lol.gif --> I've just posted over there and started shifting the discussion over.

@Gray_Eagle
sorry about your lost turn!! but great to see you're successfully trying the 4star stuff!! icon14.gif

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:46 PM Edited by JAJ, 12 June 2007 - 08:38 PM.

I'll take a turn...
Mission: Snail Trail
Called by: JAJ
Link: <UnBase>
Notes:
saved at the Doherty garage
Completion %: 49.73%

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:44 PM

umm, there's a LOT going on in here, and i really don't have the time to read through all the discussions, but great going guys smile.gif

about the extra terrtories:
there are 57 territories in LS, and in fact, the GSF can hold all of them...however, after "Los Desperados", 4 of those are taken over by the Varrios Los Aztecas (with the help of CJ, as we know)...i dunno if this remained as a little programming glitch, but it did bother me on my first playthrough, and a little tinkering subsequently cleared it up...

i dunno if you guys have noticed, but rubregg's 4-star tutorial over on SA Gameplay is now pinned...good job, Alex icon14.gif

You'll Never Walk Alone

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:40 AM Edited by OrionSR, 13 June 2007 - 01:34 AM.

Oh hey, I can play again. Next!

Mission:
Lure
Called by: OrionSR
Completion %: 50.27%

Biggest gang Ballas 39

Turf counts are back to normal.

blentz
  • blentz

>/dev/null 2>&1

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:58 AM Edited by blentz, 13 June 2007 - 12:19 PM.

Samutz isn't interested in sharing his source code with random strangers for mirroring purposes, and with good reason based on his apparent past experience.

He has, however, made some adjustments which he expects will improve the performance of gtasnp.com.

@Gray_Eagle: Yep, just now. I think it's because I complained moto_whistle.gif

Gray_Eagle
  • Gray_Eagle

Professional Foo'

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:36 AM Edited by Gray_Eagle, 13 June 2007 - 10:54 AM.

ill take one!
Mission: AMPHIBIOUS ASSAULT
Link: <<<<<GTASnP>>>>
Notes:

Boat School - Gold

@blentz: i saw the notice on GTASnP; have you???

Completion %: 51.33%

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:55 PM Edited by girishb_86, 13 June 2007 - 03:15 PM.

I'll have a go..............

Mission: THE DA NANG THANG
Called By: girishb_86
Link: **Click Here**

Completion: 51.87%

jetwells
  • jetwells

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:52 PM Edited by jetwells, 13 June 2007 - 05:21 PM.

Retract again, The clock is bugged for me it keeps repeating back to 13:00

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users