[WIP] ALCATRAZ Island "The Rock"

52 replies to this topic
J3LM3R
  • J3LM3R

Retired Map modder

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

ALCATRAZ ISLAND "The Rock" in GTA SA

I've build Alcatraz Island in the San Fierro bay area.
The only problem is that the entire island still has bugs and cannot run yet in sa...
I can only load small bits at a time.. while hoping the rest of the game doesn't crash.

Along with smokingcookie I've tried several things:

-Splitting the mod in 5 IPL's (I've lost count on how many objects I've used)
-Rebuilding the island with just a few different sort of objects ie. use three types of objects to minimize bugs(still working on that)
problem with this is that the island starts flashing when you walk/drive/fly by it (something to do with graphics card?)

-I may have hit the max number of objects that can be added (in VC you had to change that number in the .exe file - is that possible in SA? - I've heard the exe was never cracked)
-I've also used some DYN_ files (removed them when trying the mod - but it still doesn't work)
-Maybe it's possible to place the objects in the SCM file (with included savedgame)

Some basic info for those of you who haven't seen my mod at GTAGarage..

-Alcatraz will be placed in the bay area; north of the containership.. (storyline missions must be completed before installing.. at least 2 missions aren't possible any more)
-Burden for pc will be quite high (at least mine does)
-Number of objects is unknown.. I've stopped counting..
-It is an exact as possible replica of the real island in the San Fransisco bay area (based on photo's and sattelite images)
-Tunnel systems underneath the island are based on the movie "The Rock"
-It has the showerroom, underwater entrance, workshop (where they enter under water), water tower, carttrack,
missile-storage in the morgue (optional) and the missiles are set as in the movie (also optional)
-The tunnels connect almost every part of the island

Some things need a little attention:
-The interior of the cells
-The lighthouse
-The connection between the Island an the seabed (you wouldn't want to be able to swim under it)

-Creating zones - so that it doesn't rain inside the tunnels and the helicopter doesn't follow you there
-Maybe some weapons placed on the island (stars etc)
-Enex codes
-LOD's

Here is a screen of how it will look like if I can get it to work.
user posted image
I think it's beautifull inlove.gif

I've placed the IPL files Here.
You're free to view them in MEd - by Tonywob (here)

If anyone can help me out with fixing this mod; you're help will be very much apprieciated!!
Please tell me what you think of my mod sigh.gif

J3LM3R
link to GTAGarage (ALCATRAZ "The Rock")

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

Would be nice if there was a VC version aswell.

This is a good solid mod, I would like to use this for SA in SOL, but thats upto you?

This would save me modelling a prison, but Pm me if your interested.

SmokingCookie
  • SmokingCookie

Snitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

You forgot 1 tiny thing: we want to have the ENTIRE island in 1 object (e.g. alcatrazisland.dff and "".txd). If someone can help us getting ALL these objects into one, please PM me and I will notify J3LM3R.

The current amount of objects is 4,645 (let's say "over 4000 objects"). I used MS Word to count the no. of objects tounge.gif

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

I have a custom member title. I call it "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

How?!? How is that 4000+ objects?!?

Unless it is simply much larger than my eyes let on??

It looks like if you list-attatch every piece together... ok look, Hook me up with the files, my email is my screen name without "tm" on it @comcast.net. I'll have a look, burn up my processor by attatching it all into one, and see how many objects I can bust it down into. Hopefully ALLLLL those objects are not high poly. Hopefully many of them consist of very few poly.

My aim is to not go over the 5+ stock limit, but if I can't optimize this into 5 or fewer pieces, I bet seti will be able to add this in my lesser-objects form to SOL, which would be quite awesome.

Also, be sure: Do not send me generic objects, only send me what is new to SA. So, don't send trees and stuff. And there is a good chance that if you guys modeled trees on there that I *might* have to snip them to be replaced with SA generics, same goes for bushes and so on. Please post a wireframe if possible to let me know what I'm going to be looking at. If you do not feel like buggering with email, just upload to www.yousendit.com and PM me the link to your file it gives you. Cheers, ttyl

J3LM3R
  • J3LM3R

Retired Map modder

• Members

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:00 AM Edited by J3LM3R, 01 June 2007 - 12:57 PM.

Its been made from existing SA objects so only a IPL file has been made... nothing is custom moddeled so I cant give you a wireframe..
Every part of the island is made by rahkstar2.gif so I don't know if you're still able to use it...
You have my permission to use it in SOL as long as I can have the credit for the island.
If you have to alter the island to make it work - I'm sure we can work something out (ie. originally made by J3LM3R - altered by...)

The IPL files are at my site (download link - see first topic)

If you have questions, just post them and I'll see if I can help you..

J3LM3R

btw. the size of the island is big... the island is really big.. is covers half the bay. (I'll see if can get a pic from top view)

:Edit: here is a view from the top. You can see the containership and the "Golden Gate".
(PM me if you want a bigger version of the screen)
user posted image

SmokingCookie
  • SmokingCookie

Snitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:40 PM

how much time would it take someone to merge all the working objects into 10 or something in that derection?

flarstecontce
  • flarstecontce

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

just one thing... if you have the island in that place how are you suposed to do the boat school? coz most of the things you have to do are done in that precise area..

but the island is beautiful, no words for that...seems so freakin' real..

nice job man, but it has that problem though... smile.gif icon14.gif

J3LM3R
  • J3LM3R

Retired Map modder

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:26 AM

Thanks smile.gif

I made the island so you can easy install and uninstall it with adding/deleting IPL's.
This means that you can delete the line in the gta.DAT that refers to the IPL file when you come to a mission in the bay area.
After you have done the mission you can easily re-install the island.
When the mod is (finally) working I'll include a guide on how to act when missions are set in that area.
The most easy way (like any map mod) is to install it once the storyline missions are finished. When the missions are not yet completed and you want to have the island installed; I'll make sure there are directions in the readme how to un-install/disable the island. (I'll try to add a list with it of when the missions use the bay area)

I hope your question is answered.. smile.gif

Thanks again,
J3LM3R

flarstecontce
  • flarstecontce

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:13 AM

thanks for the answer! smile.gif

Keep working hard coz the mod is 5* icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

flarstecontce
  • flarstecontce

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

or you could mod the main.scm to install the insland and complete all the schools.
that would be worth it biggrin.gif

raresh_r
  • raresh_r

raresh_r

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:11 PM

Is the island is made from SA map parts ?
i am making the Alcatraz island in new 3D model but i have problems because i don't know how it is and how big the roads are. so now my island is very small.
Can someone from San Francisco help me whit some photos, made near it, on the internet i can't find some sad.gif

Back to topic: it is very impressive what you have made there. hope you will make it work.

J3LM3R
  • J3LM3R

Retired Map modder

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:45 PM

@ flarstecontce:
Thanks biggrin.gif
I'll try to add the objects in the main.scm - maybe they will work then (need some time to figure it out or maybe someone can help me with that)
I'll see if I can get a script included that makes the game progress 100% so you don't have to do the storyline (again).

@ raresh_r:
Thanks aswell biggrin.gif
Yes, Its entirely made from SA objects..
Maybe you can import the playermodel or a standard size cars into your 3d modeling program to help you out with the scaling..
I've based my island on the movie "The Rock" (that gives you an impression of the environment of the island - details etc)
I've used googlemaps for satellite images (a sort of map where buildings are set) and I've used almost every picture on the web available (via google)
There are lots of pictures that show how buildings look like and what colors they are..

I hope you can make you're Island work,

J3LM3R

raresh_r
  • raresh_r

raresh_r

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:25 PM Edited by raresh_r, 29 June 2007 - 07:35 PM.

i have tommy model next to the island but i don't know if it is good:| ... i'll post some images of what i've made biggrin.gif

edit: Photos biggrin.gif The buildings i've founded them but i need to model the terrain to fit them in whatsthat.gif that is a little hard
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

pgtipsp
  • pgtipsp

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:23 PM

this is fantastic, id love to have it in game

J3LM3R
  • J3LM3R

Retired Map modder

• Members

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:23 AM

@ raresh_r

It looks awesome.. I'd really like that in SA biggrin.gif

You could also use more objects to help you scale the island and the roads (by importing a road section from SA and compare it to your road until you've found the scale you want. But you can also use a car or something else you know (so you know what size it has compared to the rest of SA)

The model you showed has a flat base.. does this base reach the bottom of the seabed? because if it doesn't, you'll be able to swim underneath the island..

good luck modding... I hope you can make it work in SA,

J3LM3R

The-end
  • The-end

It's time to go home

• Members

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

It looks like you made it in sketchup? (raresh_r) your gonna have problems with the COL file no doubt, basically putting an end to all your hard work. sad.gif

SmokingCookie
  • SmokingCookie

Snitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:40 AM

Now that I have a little bit more knowledge of GMax 1.2 and since I have Kam's scripts for 3DS Max, I can try to merge lots of objects, into 1.

flarstecontce
  • flarstecontce

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:30 PM

I dunno if its like the real life but you could add a little beach or the place where you park your boats and stuff on the other side because its more pratical from who is coming from SF.
it would be nice but i dunno...its your call and its your mod...

once again, freakin awesome mod.. wink.gif

SmokingCookie
  • SmokingCookie

Snitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:38 AM Edited by SmokingCookie, 16 July 2007 - 09:36 AM.

No, I think J3LM3R wants to make the "The Rock" Island of it, and The Rock's Alcatraz island doesn't contain a beach. But maybe it's an idea to place a couple of boats next to it...

J3LM3R
  • J3LM3R

Retired Map modder

• Members

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

On the north side of the island is a jetty.. here you can 'park' your boat and scout the island.. If I need to alter the main.scm to make the island work, I'll include some vehicles around the island (boat(s) / seaplane) and perhaps some weapon pickups etc (hidden in the tunnels so the don't disturb the view..)

btw: The rocks are at sea level and there are many places where you can get you're boat (safely) near the island without using the jetty..

I hope I've answered you're question,
J3LM3R

SmokingCookie
  • SmokingCookie

Snitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:28 PM Edited by SmokingCookie, 21 July 2007 - 08:49 AM.

I've found an IPL entry section to place vehicles so have a look here and look for "Cars" (Using [CTRL] + [F]). However, the vehicle will not show up when you don't start a new game and if you need to place it on a different spot, you will have to start another new game... cryani.gif

Лёшенька
  • Лёшенька

KGB agent

• Members

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:27 PM

well i have got a solution to your not working problem (or at least i think so). take 1 object (e.g. LS police station) and place it instead of your island. check it ingame, whether it works. now, place 100 same objects in one spot. check again. do it until you have 700 objects in the game. if the game crashes, it means you are right, there are too many objects for the game to handle. however, i made a small mod for myself, i used a bus stop model (made myself) and it worked fine, but when i placed couple of trees and a standard barrel around it, game failed to load. i found out, that one of the trees was causing the problem. i dont know why, i was standard model etc etc but i had to remove it and everything was working fine. so i suggest you have used a similar model, which is not to be allowed to be used elsewhere. if there are too many objects, the game should at least load successfully!

SmokingCookie
  • SmokingCookie

Snitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:48 AM

OK, but there's one "tiny" problem: the island contains over 4000 objects, so it's going to be hard to check whether they are "good" or "bad" objects...

Лёшенька
  • Лёшенька

KGB agent

• Members

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (SmokingCookie @ Jul 21 2007, 08:48)
OK, but there's one "tiny" problem: the island contains over 4000 objects, so it's going to be hard to check whether they are "good" or "bad" objects...

no, i meant - check one object first and if it is displayed ingame correctly, just copy it nundren of time just to test if the game is capable of handling it. if the game will crash at 500 objects in the same spot it means that you have too many objects in your mod. however, if the game load OK with 4000 same objects on the same place but doesnt load with your mod installed (400 different objects) then it means that you have used that faulty object. then it is simply a matter of finfing that object and i can help you with it, if you do the first part as i explained. though you can try placing 1000 objects at the time to make it easier to check smile.gif

SmokingCookie
  • SmokingCookie

Snitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:09 AM

Well, OK, but I have been seperating the "good" and "bad" objects from each other, of course deleting the "bad" ones, but there are just far to many objects in the IPL, that's why I have been wondering how much time it would take some1 to "merge" lots of objects into 1, to make the number of objects go down dramatically.

Лёшенька
  • Лёшенька

KGB agent

• Members

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:00 PM Edited by Лёшенька, 22 July 2007 - 11:29 PM.

QUOTE (SmokingCookie @ Jul 22 2007, 08:09)
Well, OK, but I have been seperating the "good" and "bad" objects from each other, of course deleting the "bad" ones, but there are just far to many objects in the IPL, that's why I have been wondering how much time it would take some1 to "merge" lots of objects into 1, to make the number of objects go down dramatically.

BTW i broke your IPL into 7 smaller ones, each one loads OK but when i load two at the time game crashes as you approach the island. The problem is definately in the number of objects sad.gif I may try to combine them, though i dont guarantee it.

Cry. Cry. I tryed to attach together the first ~400 jbjects when my Gmax run out of memory and shut down. And i have 1 GB of RAM. The sad thing is, that you probably wont be able to implement it on SA - the engine probably reacts not on the number of objects, but on the number of polygons used. Therefore, even if someone will manage to attach 50 objects at the time, it will take ages to make many ~30 Mb Txd files and the game still will crash (most probably)... Now, i can give you two advises - first - delete all the vegetation and other stuff, reduce the number of objects used to 1700 (it worked and after that it crashed on my PC). And the second advice - try to model yourself, it will save you lots of polygons. The third advice is probably not needed here - you can convert Alkatraz to GTA 4 format eventually, it is probably capable of high-poly locations smile.gif

BTW the tonnel system is great, i mean i havent seen them all, but from what i have seen i can tell you, youve done a great job!

SmokingCookie
  • SmokingCookie

Snitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:40 AM

I love details: why do you say 2 advices while giving 3? tounge.gif

Лёшенька
  • Лёшенька

KGB agent

• Members

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (SmokingCookie @ Jul 23 2007, 09:40)
I love details: why do you say 2 advices while giving 3? tounge.gif

i made the third one up while typing up the second smile.gif

J3LM3R
  • J3LM3R

Retired Map modder

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

Sorry for the (very) late reaction.. blush.gif I was on a vacation.. cool.gif

Thanks for helping me out.. I could have thought of that but I didn't so thank you.. tounge.gif when I find the time I'll try the thing you said about all the objects at the same location and the different objects.. (I know from "jetdoor" that there can't be too much near eachother or you'll be able to walk through them.. (they're not solid anymore then - some are, some are not))

About the "merging" thing: I don't think it's possible because of the poly's and the col's.. tha game engine (like you said) can't handle it unless the .exe is cracked but I don't see that happen in a while..

Next (school)year I will be learning AutoCAD so I think I can try some modelling myself and re-do the island.. what kind of program if the best for modelling in SA.. Some modders are using sketch-up, others use Zmod.. wich one is the best?

thanks about the tunnels.. I took me most of the time building them (when that was done most of the island was finished..)

J3LM3R

SnoopDo2G
  • SnoopDo2G

Gta's Don Doggy

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

A found a similar mod and it works great it's called Alcatraz V2
and well they don't have any bug...
it's just the map but no interior i think...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users