Quantcast

» «
Photo

Which controller do you think will work better?

287 replies to this topic

Poll: Which controller do you think will work better? (628 member(s) have cast votes)

Which controller do you think will work better?

1. Xbox 360 (264 votes [45.67%])

Percentage of vote: 45.67%

2. PlayStation 3 (314 votes [54.33%])

Percentage of vote: 54.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Bren_34
  • Bren_34

LCPD Riot Cop

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:31 AM

I've been trying to decide if I should buy a PS3 for GTA, or an Xbox (And I could have Saints Row on that too!) But, I'm just wondering, even if this is a bit off topic, what controller do you think will work better with GTA?

numdmind
  • numdmind

numdmind

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:37 AM

Unfortunately, I have an Xbox 360, and because of that I think I'm going to be screwed in the area of controller configuration. I assume that Rockstar will incorporate the triggers for gas and reverse like they did with the previous GTA's on the Xbox. I really hate the triggers, but since the face buttons on the 360 controller only have two functions-On and Off, meaning no analogue or pressure-sensitivity, there would be no simple way to control how fast you are going other than constantly tapping the A button to make your vehicle go slower. I really hope that there is a way to swap controls though, because I would honestly prefer the tapping than the triggers.

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

I have a custom member title. I call it "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:42 AM

SIx Axis, hands down.

Bren_34
  • Bren_34

LCPD Riot Cop

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:45 AM

Well the main thing is, I have to decide if I should buy a PS3 of an Xbox. I just got a job this summer so I can save up! inlove.gif

XBOXLOVER
  • XBOXLOVER

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:47 AM

But you need the rumblers they make the game seem more reel.

SIP YEK NOD
  • SIP YEK NOD

I drink and I smash because i love

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:50 AM

anybody who sides with either side is a complete retard.

they are the same controller with a different stick position. and slightly different shape. it comes down to hand size.

Bren_34
  • Bren_34

LCPD Riot Cop

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:52 AM

Yeah, but I also didn't know that you had to press a Trigger on the Xbox in San Andreas, if this is the case with GTA 4 then I'm going PS3

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:01 AM

Yeah they are pretty much the same, the Sixaxis has pseudo triggers doesn't it in replace of the R2 and L2 shoulder buttons?

XMike
  • XMike

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:01 AM

can't you configure the controller to work with whatever function you want? other than that, they are basically the same except the d-pad and analog stick switched.

XBOXLOVER
  • XBOXLOVER

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (SIP YEK NOD @ May 26 2007, 04:50)
anybody who sides with either side is a complete retard.

they are the same controller with a different stick position. and slightly different shape. it comes down to hand size.

I'm not sideing,(pay no glances to my name)i'm stating a fact.

xBZ
  • xBZ

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:10 AM

I personally wouldn't care, I just want to play the game...Rockstar will make it playable for both anyways

gtasana
  • gtasana

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:53 AM

Xbox 360 controller definitely. Rumble alone wins it for the 360 and the PS3's controller is too small and feels unnatural in your hands. And why would you choose which console you're getting by the controllers? They pretty much have the same controller and you'll get used to either one quickly. Choose a console by what games you want to play. For example, if you want to play games such as Gears of War, Saints Row, Crackdown, Rainbow Six Vegas, Mass Effect, Kane and Lynch, Bioshock, Forza, GRAW, Alan Wake, etc then get a 360. If you want to play Resistance, Motorstorm... um... get a PS3. If you want exclusive downloadable content for GTA 4, get a 360. If you want to get the best out of the multiplayer experience, get a 360. If you want a last-minute, shoddy motion-control feature, get a PS3.

Harlemite
  • Harlemite

Resident of North AlgonquinWorld

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:56 AM Edited by Harlemite, 26 May 2007 - 07:08 AM.

Me, being the owner of a PS2 with a massive collection of games, saying that I've gotten used to the PS controller is an understatement, especially when it comes to GTA. So if I end up getting a 360 this fall, I'll def. be playing IV with this adaptor--

user posted image

Edit: It's called the XFPS2, or something along those lines.

gtasana
  • gtasana

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (Harlemite @ May 26 2007, 06:56)
Me, being the owner of a PS2 with a massive collection of games, saying that I've gotten used to the PS controller is an understatement, especially when it comes to GTA. So if I end up getting a 360 this fall, I'll def. be playing IV with this adaptor--

user posted image

well what can i say, even a PS2 controller's better than a PS3 controller. it has rumble! i can understand if you've never used an xbox 360 controller before you might think it will feel strange, but it feels exactlly the same, if not better, and less awkward because of the placement of the two analog sticks not right next to each other.

Harlemite
  • Harlemite

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:14 AM Edited by Harlemite, 26 May 2007 - 07:17 AM.

QUOTE (gtasana @ May 26 2007, 07:10)
well what can i say, even a PS2 controller's better than a PS3 controller. it has rumble!  i can understand if you've never used an xbox 360 controller before you might think it will feel strange, but it feels exactlly the same, if not better, and less awkward because of the placement of the two analog sticks not right next to each other.

Umm. Did I say the PS2 is better than the PS3's? you need to keep that fanboyism down sir.

Also, I've played GOW on 360 through the entire storyline. I'll just say this -- at the end of it, I loved the game, but still hated the controller.

I'll give you that the analog sticks are better than PS's, but PS has the way better d-pad and I've even heard 5 or 6 360 owners say that.

Also, GTA (IMO, and many Xbox owners too mind you) is better when played with a PS controller. Hey, those are not only my opinions, but MANY 360 owners' that I've come across too.

Edit: Also, PS3 will be getting rumble back sometime.

Mike0
  • Mike0

Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:20 AM

Each version of the game will be optimized for its controler. So its a deep question. The best thing is to wait till October and see al the comparisons etc.....

Harlemite
  • Harlemite

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:25 AM Edited by Harlemite, 26 May 2007 - 07:30 AM.

QUOTE (Mike0 @ May 26 2007, 07:20)
Each version of the game will be optimized for its controler. So its a deep question. The best thing is to wait till October and see al the comparisons etc.....

Yes, exactly. But the thing is. I've heard that when they ported the GTA's over to the original xbox, the controls were atrocious.

Also, I've probably come across at least 10 360 owners that said that they would be using that adapter come October.

To me, being a PS2 owner, I can't play GTA without a PS controller. Just can't do it. I'm not downing xbox or anything. It's just mine and millions of other GTA fans personal preference since the last five GTA's debuted first on PS (or PSP, lol). That's all.

Edit: i don't know about the PS1 GTA's. Were they exclusive to PS1 first or did they come out on PC at the same time? or am I missing something?

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:29 AM

Uhh you guys haven't used the one I have then.

The PS1 controller in my opinion is best for GTA games, however, when the adapter came out, which allowed Xbox games to be played with PS2 controllers, I quickly found out to be impossible. You need a PS1 controller to play GTA on Xbox. At least with the one I have. If you port a PS2 controller to the Xbox with the cable the L2 R2 buttons don't quite work well. However, the PS1 controller it worked perfectly. On the PS2 controller the gas buttons L2 didn't make the cars go fast enough, but the PS1 controller did.

Harlemite
  • Harlemite

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:32 AM

@Vanzant.

Thanks for that. i was wanting to know if that adapter does indeed work well. But I don't know, maybe they've solved those problems by now. I'll have to do more research before i get the 360 though. Because I ain't playin' with a PS1, lol.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

I'll tell you this, if they didn't fix it, it sucks finding a PS1 controller nowadays. But my PS2 to Xbox works better with a PS1, On everygame. If I was to lose or break my PS1 controller i'd be in a world of hurt, I can't find any for sale.

Harlemite
  • Harlemite

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:38 AM Edited by Harlemite, 26 May 2007 - 07:43 AM.

Answer me this.

How does the translation work with regards to controls? This might be a stupid question, but think about this for a sec. Since they program the game(s) with that console's native controller in mind, what happens when you plug in a foreign controller? I seriously doubt that that adapter has some sort of a chip in it that will translate the in-game control displays for you. So?

Edit: I know the controls translate, but what I'm really wanting to know is if those adapters somehow have the ability to tell you translated control displays on-screen? Don't laugh! I just don't know?

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:44 AM

The Xbox Controllers Triggers convert to the L2 R2 buttons ok? Now the PS2's controllers L2 and R2 which (when used us the Xbox triggers) buttons don't go down as far, which makes the gas button on GTA games go slow, since R2 is pressed automatically. The Ps1 works well for a R trigger on Xbox because on the original Playstation controller is all pressed down. Try this out for yourself. If you use a PS2 with a pelican adapter for Xbox for GTA San Andreas, your max speed in all cars is about 20 MPH.

Might I add this also causes problems in some other racing games like Need for Speed Underground for Xbox.

Harlemite
  • Harlemite

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:48 AM

Whoa, I have a feeling that I'll be getting a PS3 after all then, since I really want MGS4.

But what about the displays on screen? Does it still say "press A" for so and so? because that would be f**kin' annoying wiht a PS controller and all. or is it that the controls on each console mimic each other to a T that you don't need on-screen translation via the adapter's (possible) chip?

Don't laugh! But that's what I really want to know.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:50 AM

No, if you play a Xbox game it's gonna tell you to press Xbox buttons.

Harlemite
  • Harlemite

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (Vanzant @ May 26 2007, 07:50)
No, if you play a Xbox game it's gonna tell you to press Xbox buttons.

Okay, that's all i wanted to know. I guess PS3 is what it is. *half-sigh*.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:54 AM

It's not hard to remember the translations between the two, just remeber on Xbox "X" is on the Side and on PS2 "X" is on the bottom. At first it made it hard to win the low rider challenge on San Andreas on Xbox using the PS1 controller, but you quickly get used to it.

Harlemite
  • Harlemite

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:59 AM

Well you see, I've been right on the tipping point of choosing which console to get this fall for a long time now. And even though you can refer to memory for the controls, it's still enough of an annoyance to tip me over to get the authentic experience on PS3 (yes, I'm THAT big of a GTA fan and THAT big on being used to PS controllers).

The only things now that will change my mind to getting a 360 is if I find out that DLC isn't coming to PS3 at all (ever), and/or they announce that MGS4 is going to be on xbox the same day as PS3.

So right now, I'm going for PS3 (since I know for a fact that IV will be the same on both consoles) come fall. Things could change though.

numdmind
  • numdmind

numdmind

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (gtasana @ May 26 2007, 07:10)
QUOTE (Harlemite @ May 26 2007, 06:56)

user posted image

well what can i say, even a PS2 controller's better than a PS3 controller. it has rumble! i can understand if you've never used an xbox 360 controller before you might think it will feel strange, but it feels exactlly the same, if not better, and less awkward because of the placement of the two analog sticks not right next to each other.

It's really not a matter of the controllers being somewhat similar in the layout. It's the fact that the PS2 (and I'm assuming PS3) controller had the X button for gas and the Square Button for reverse. The Xbox controller had the Right and Left triggers controlling gas and reverse. Which really isn't a problem for real racing games in my opinion, I just don't like it for GTA. However, since I have played GTA 99.9 percent of the time on PS2, I am accustomed to the Playstation button configuration. I tried to play the entire trilogy on my 360 and I couldn't stand the trigger configuration, especially with motorcycles. But that's me. And it had nothing to do with the fact that the White and Black Buttons were replaced and moved for the 360 controller. The Bumbers are so much better than the Black and White Buttons I think. I'm sure you guys who played it mostly on Xbox would feel the same if you had to try to play GTA on a PS2. I really just don't like it, but I'm going to have to get used to it, since I have a 360 and not a PS3. I really hope that Rockstar adds a way to configure it the way you want it, but we'll see. I know that Oblivion will let you re-program every button on the 360 controller, so I know that it would be possible. The only drawback there is, as I have already stated, the fact that there is no pressure sensitivity in the face buttons on the 360 controller.

Whetstone
  • Whetstone

Hello

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:09 AM

I like the triggers as it more like a gun trigger tounge.gif

But i started playing Gta Vice City on Ps2 then i bought San Andreas on ps2 as well.

But then i went out and bought gta III and Vice on Xbox and I can honestly say, I could switch between each controller easily.

I have a Xbox 360 , yea. I like the controller, where the joysticks are.
But i also like the ps3 controller .

Conclusion : Both contollers work well after having played Gta's on both xbox and PS2
Rockstar is making the game to fit the console. Not the console to fit the game .

Molotiv
  • Molotiv

Prankster

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:15 AM

I really, REALLY....disliked the x-box gen1 controller...Im gonna play extensively with the 360's tonight... Ill report back to this topic later..

biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users