Photo

GTA Vice City in Win Vista

41 replies to this topic
gbunch
  • gbunch

Gary

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

I dumped 98/98SE/Me/2K as soon as got a copy of XP as it was the better OS with more features and more secure.

I still intend to get VC working normally on vista but until i do XP is still the best option, I have dual boot on seperate drives so i can still play VC until i sort the problem in vista (BTW its Vista Ultimate if it makes a difference)

as i said i am going to have another go tonight so will let you (all) know later/tomorow if i get it working 100%

BTW I like the way vista looks and works - it is more secure i agree and better protected, still have to check my other games as well..........

gbunch
  • gbunch

Gary

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:37 AM

Do you think a different graphics card would be better ie not NVIDIA. I have seen other forums where people have graphic rendering problems with Nvidia cards in Vista......

Just a thought....

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:14 AM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 28 July 2007 - 04:20 PM.

Maybe you can try ATI's Radeon HD 2000+ or the X1950 series cards. But why not tweak around in nVidia's ForceWare Control Panel...?

http://www.tweakguid.../NVFORCE_1.html

Do you think a different graphics card would be better ie not NVIDIA.

You haven't even tried Patch 1.1 and the rest of my other advices (or rather confirm), so who'd know?

gbunch
  • gbunch

Gary

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:36 AM Edited by gbunch, 30 July 2007 - 09:15 AM.

Sorry ROF i forgot to say my progress,

Vista built in nvidia drivers gave better performance than the latest downoaded nvidia drivers! I have seen on other forums that nvidia changed somethings that are a possible cause for this type of problem and the version vista has built in is prior to these changes. The latest driver's may not always be the best.

Patch 1.1 made no difference in this case so far.

I have only deleted the .set file every time the graphic drivers have been changed. the next step is to uninstall and delete folders then try both driver sets again. Will also have a look at the tweak guide you mentioned. Current screen settings are 1024x768 - 32

Oh by the way it seems that if you run in 'xp compatibility mode' you can see your saves in your 'My Documents\ GTa...' folders but if you run in '98 compatibility mode' then they are in the install folders.

gbunch
  • gbunch

Gary

• Members

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:24 AM

that glitch about the Thugstools cheat - does it cause that and how do you correct that? as that looks very similar to what i get with no cheats.

Had problems installing the nvidia -ntune last night vista froze twice during install. will try again tonight then continue with the uninstall......

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:41 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 31 July 2007 - 12:48 PM.

QUOTE (gbunch @ Jul 31 2007, 03:24)
that glitch about the Thugstools cheat - does it cause that and how do you correct that? as that looks very similar to what i get with no cheats.

Yeah, one of my best glitches! You can't correct it, it will automatically crash the game depending on how many times you press F1 (and how many terrain objects you hold as a weapon in Vice City). You will have to restart.

So every time the scenery messes up on Vista, it just crashes or it doesn't?

Had problems installing the nvidia -ntune last night vista froze twice during install. will try again tonight then continue with the uninstall......

If you don't have an nVidia chipset, you should only be installing the ForceWare graphics drivers or the Omega drivers (make sure it supports Vista even though you have to go through process of selecting your OS). What's nTune and why bother with it? It doesn't look like a driver - nForce is.

Did you download this one? Supports Vista: http://www.nvidia.co...5.05.47.00.html (Make sure you to completely uninstall previous versions in Add/Remove Programs as that is a good habit.)

Installation Notes:

- This application package replaces all previous versions of the NVIDIA System Utility or NVIDIA nTune. Earlier versions of the application should be uninstalled and the system rebooted prior to installation of this package.

- Support for the advanced features of the NVIDIA nTune requires vendor specific setup files that are not included with this package. Please contact your motherboard or system vendor for the correct files to enable this functionality.

gbunch
  • gbunch

Gary

• Members

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:46 AM

Thanks,
The game plays normally every time but its very annoying with the scenery being messed up.

Not sure if thats the same Nvidia nTune - downloading now to try after i wipe vista and re-install - it keeps hanging on me now. probably to many driver changes and updates.

Speaking of updates have you heard anything about these :-

KB938194 Vista Compatibility and Reliability Pack and
KB938979 Vista Performance and Reliability Pack

this is where i found this out :- http://forums.guru3d...ad.php?t=233070

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:35 AM

If you were a person like me who always makes sure his computer is to the latest by using Windows Update, then you should already have that installed. So you mean you haven't touched the built-in Windows Update for Vista, yet? dozingoff.gif

It didn't list San Andreas/Vice City here though:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929427
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932246

gbunch
  • gbunch

Gary

• Members

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:45 AM

Update is enabled and running - all is upto date. the 2 KB's you listed seem very similar in what they do with additional focus on games. i will check they are installed.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:54 AM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 01 August 2007 - 12:13 PM.

QUOTE (gbunch @ Aug 1 2007, 07:45)
Update is enabled and running - all is upto date. the 2 KB's you listed seem very similar in what they do with additional focus on games. i will check they are installed.

Check? Windows Update checks for YOU!

Well, I think you go in Add/Remove Programs and look for an option to show you any Windows updates that were installed?

For the sake of checking, I'd think you would reinstall it. Simply click on the download link for all the patches that dealt with compability mode. Probably the Windows Installer will say that a same or newer version had been already installed (no update needed), or something along those lines.

gbunch
  • gbunch

Gary

• Members

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:22 PM Edited by gbunch, 03 August 2007 - 11:30 AM.

Just about to check the update's and the IDE HD has died - nasty squealing sound and then nothing mad.gif

Now need to re-partition my XP HD to dual boot, maybe it will work on a SATA HD better, be back soon .

Going to stay with XP until a new PC set-up purchased

Warren21
  • Warren21

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

I also try this one...The link i use it bec. it's working. Thanks a lot..

Regards

Albert

_______
Pret immobilier

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users