» «
Photo

I think a lot of us are underestimating the size

62 replies to this topic
voteneg
  • voteneg

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:08 AM Edited by voteneg, 02 December 2007 - 08:13 AM.

I suspect the map will be in similar size to Driver Parallel Lines. I've always loved the Driver series for its more accurate recreation of driving physics and police chases, but I thought they did an excellent job creating the map for the last installment. It was a New York setting and it was packed full of roads to cruise on, i mean it was really dense, like so dense it took 15 or so minutes to get from the southwest corner of the map to the northeast. It was really big and full.

I suspect that GTA IV will be about 3/4 the size of San Andreas. And densely filled as we all seem to agree.

Has anyone noticed that past GTA games have had goofy size issues, it seems to me that the land mass is too small for the size of the structures and items on it, and in addition the speed at which you go is much to fast (albeit incredibly satisfying.) Like compare GTA maps to Driver Parallel Lines, Test Drive Unlimited, or Just Cause and you'll see that the areas that portray are in reality smaller areas in real life, but cover more space in the game. In DPL the NYC map seemed larger than SA's entire state, or Hawaii in Test Drive is much smaller than a normal sized continental U.S. state, or a group of Caribbean/South American Islands in Just Cause compared to the entire STATE of San Andreas. I'm just trying to calculate each games respective scale, and figure out how the above games can portray a smaller area than GTA SA but still have larger maps... it would indicate to me that GTA has some really horrible proportioning.

I think this comes from not including alleys or realistic sized parking lots or having most of the roads being pretty narrow like one lane mostly etc etc. The major streets they put in the games are really much wider than the narrow one/two lane streets in the GTA series.

Granted GTA has been the best sandbox game series I've played, but the map sizes always seemed a little off to me.

Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:34 AM Edited by Supreme., 02 December 2007 - 08:36 AM.

QUOTE (swishersweets20031 @ Dec 2 2007, 07:55)
does anyone feel this game is starting to become very over hyped?

Well compared to, say, Halo 3, IV really doesn't have much hype at all. And the funny thing is, people are already forgetting about Halo 3 and its sub-par performance in living up to the massive hype, while IV doesn't/won't really have all that much hype and it will be one truly amazing game... I'm sure of it.

im more interested in the sequel to this then this game actually. I'm assuming alot of new bells and whistles so to speak. But how long will this be impressive?

I don't know about you, but when III came out, a sequel was the last thing on my mind because I was so blown away by what I was witnessing on my TV screen at that time; it was f*cking beautiful beyond words. I really shouldn't have to go into how revolutionary III was, if you had that feeling I did when I first played it, you know what I'm talking about.

Now, when you consider that R* has stated that the leap from GTA III to GTA IV will be no less than that of the leap from GTA 2 to GTA III, that really makes me smile and wonder whether or not IV will indeed manage to have the same initial e/affect on us like III did. I'm almost certain it will, and that's really saying something.

VC and SA didn't have that effect, and to tell you the truth, I'll always like III (in a way) more than its sequels because of that. IV will obviously be the III of this gen.

I think the real leap will be the sequel after. Just like what was done with part 3 it was new and fresh then vice city just upped the bar.

You just defeated your own point there. You say that the real leap will come with the sequel to IV, just like VC simply upped the bar and wasn't much of a leap? mercie_blink.gif

You're right in a way, but not in the way you intended. You must remember that III was the leap and VC and SA were step-ups from that initial jump (and what a jump it was / will be again).

To me IV will be the test ground for what direction they will go and the one after will be the one that should be carved in stone and so on and so on after with sequels.

IV will be a test grounds of sorts, no doubt (just like III was). I expect a few bugs, features, etc. that will be fixed / improved upon in the sequels. But the sequels will be just that, improvements, NOT big leaps in and of themselves.

IV will be that leap... you just wait and see. You'll love it. wink.gif

ceedot
  • ceedot

Zeestar.

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:43 AM

The city will be big, but including interiors, the places we can go to would be amazing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users