» «
Photo

Who needs planes when you have...

98 replies to this topic
GycuBrun
  • GycuBrun

Jeapany

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:32 PM Edited by GycuBrun, 01 May 2007 - 03:34 PM.

Guys, seriously stop crying after planes...you don`t need planes...Why? Because
--Helicopters are partially confirmed
user posted image
--Also a cable car is partially confirmed-seen in the trailer-but not sure 100% if it`s usable.
---->So I have some ideas that I haven`t seen mentioned before about flying in LibertyCity if you don`t have planes

--Here are a few pics: ( I dunno the English name of this )

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

--And of course a Hot air baloon
user posted image
user posted image

So I think that there are tons of other flying machines who can replace a plane

I dunno if R* tought at this or not

So what do you think about my ideas?

If you find the topic bad...rate it bad
If you find the topic good...rate it good
Don`t rate it if you don`t want to...

soleil
  • soleil

Yes, I play video games.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:34 PM

Yeah helicopters make way more sense than planes if you're only getting around NYC and not flying to Los Angeles or something. Who takes flights from JFK to La Guardia to Newark?

TheTank
  • TheTank

Yardie

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

HABs in LC? Naawww... And that one (i can't remember the name, too) is plane. And where did you think you can glide without planes and big mountains? From a top of a big building? And crash to another?

Mister Zero
  • Mister Zero

Z Test Subject

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:39 PM

Hang Gliders would be cool, but I can't imagine our hard European friend flying one of these.
Hot Air Balloons, again, won't fit into his image (Niko Bellic meets Wacky Races?) but it'd be cool to hang from one shooting some rich bastard, and then when you complete the mission you get one at your savehouse to piss about in. icon14.gif

GycuBrun
  • GycuBrun

Jeapany

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

HABs in LC? Naawww...

It`s as normal as the JetPack was in San Andreas...

And that one (i can't remember the name, too) is plane

Actually it`s a Delta Plane I think ( some DP don`t have engines)

soleil
  • soleil

Yes, I play video games.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (TheTank @ May 1 2007, 15:35)
HABs in LC? Naawww... And that one (i can't remember the name, too) is plane. And where did you think you can glide without planes and big mountains? From a top of a big building? And crash to another?

EDIT: Oh you were talking about the one below that. N/M. That one won't be there just because of sheer queerness.

Well it' quite possible when they said no planes they simply were not thinking about hang gliders... most people don't include them in the category of planes, even if you can make an argument that they technically are. They were just interviewing, not researching the 100% technical correctness of every word of every statement they make. If they had hang gliders in there and someone asked if they had planes, chances are they won't be like "Well a hang glider is a plane so I'll say yes there are planes."

TheTank
  • TheTank

Yardie

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Mister Zero @ May 1 2007, 15:39)
Hang Gliders would be cool, but I can't imagine our hard European friend flying one of these.
Hot Air Balloons, again, won't fit into his image (Niko Bellic meets Wacky Races?) but it'd be cool to hang from one shooting some rich bastard, and then when you complete the mission you get one at your savehouse to piss about in. icon14.gif

"Who the hell stole my hot air balloon?!" lol.gif

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (soleil @ May 1 2007, 11:34)
Yeah helicopters make way more sense than planes if you're only getting around NYC and not flying to Los Angeles or something. Who takes flights from JFK to La Guardia to Newark?

People often fly planes from little airports just to fly planes. Their departure and destination are the same place. A person with much less flying experience than commercial helicopter pilots who fly through Manhattan can fly a light aircraft on the outskirts of NYC just to enjoy the sites. JFK doesn't seem to have any light private planes, but there are some at La Guardia. Most likely, LC will have just one airport which will be somewhat intermediate between the two, so it would be reasonable to expect to find both large air liners and small private planes there.

GycuBrun
  • GycuBrun

Jeapany

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (TheTank @ May 1 2007, 15:41)

No...
" Who the hell stole my bullet-proof hot air baloon ? "

smile.gif tounge.gif

TheTank
  • TheTank

Yardie

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (GycuBrun @ May 1 2007, 15:44)

No...

har har lol.gif Yeah! Bullet-proof fabric... Is it fabric? Or tissue? Or what?

GycuBrun
  • GycuBrun

Jeapany

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (TheTank @ May 1 2007, 15:46)

No...

smile.gif KEVLAR smile.gif

soleil
  • soleil

Yes, I play video games.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (K^2 @ May 1 2007, 15:41)
QUOTE (soleil @ May 1 2007, 11:34)
Yeah helicopters make way more sense than planes if you're only getting around NYC and not flying to Los Angeles or something.  Who takes flights from JFK to La Guardia to Newark?

People often fly planes from little airports just to fly planes. Their departure and destination are the same place. A person with much less flying experience than commercial helicopter pilots who fly through Manhattan can fly a light aircraft on the outskirts of NYC just to enjoy the sites. JFK doesn't seem to have any light private planes, but there are some at La Guardia. Most likely, LC will have just one airport which will be somewhat intermediate between the two, so it would be reasonable to expect to find both large air liners and small private planes there.

Ah well that's a good point. I really don't know how much New York allows that type of flying though, post-9/11.

More interesting is what the airport will be like when they are purposely not letting you pilot planes.

TheTank
  • TheTank

Yardie

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (GycuBrun @ May 1 2007, 15:49)
QUOTE (TheTank @ May 1 2007, 15:46)

No...

smile.gif KEVLAR smile.gif

Aah... "Very strong synthetic fiber" Now i know something more icon14.gif

farrugia
  • farrugia

is now dead. RIP

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (soleil @ May 1 2007, 16:50)
More interesting is what the airport will be like when they are purposely not letting you pilot planes.

Two possible scenarios:

1. No planes at all, meaning deserted runways. (bad)
2. Vice City style. (better, still disappointing though)

I'm not against them taking aeroplanes out, I just wonder how they'll be able to effectively portray the airport. Unless they downsize it and place a greater emphasis on the heliport bit.

TheTank
  • TheTank

Yardie

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (farrugia @ May 1 2007, 15:54)
QUOTE (soleil @ May 1 2007, 16:50)

Two possible scenarios:

1. No planes at all, meaning deserted runways. (bad)
2. Vice City style. (better, still disappointing though)

I'm not against them taking aeroplanes out, I just wonder how they'll be able to effectively portray the airport. Unless they downsize it and place a greater emphasis on the heliport bit.

Well, it would be cool, if they ad an plane, which is difficult to keep in air. Like in GTA III. Make more realistic. And helicopters should be a bit more difficult to handle.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (soleil @ May 1 2007, 11:50)
Ah well that's a good point.  I really don't know how much New York allows that type of flying though, post-9/11.

I don't see how they cannot allow it. Manhattan is a no-fly zone for fixed wing, so you wouldn't be able to fly through it, but there is a lot of fixed wing air traffic to/from NYC. Most of it is commercial, but some of it is private. If you are flying a private plane in visual flight conditions, you don't have to declare a flight plan, so they can't ask you if you are planning to fly to another city or just going to fly around and land back.

Just for the hell of it, I loaded up FS2000 and tried flying around and through Manhattan on various aircraft. Results:

Bell Jet Ranger
Helicopters still give me a lot of trouble. I can fly over NYC with no problems, but trying to hover between buildings is not easy. Landing on a rooftop? I'd have problems with a football field. All of you who want to fly helicopters in IV, pray that they aren't realistic.

Learjet 45
Flies fast. Turns slow. You can see how that could be a problem with a bunch of skyscrapers around.

Boeing 737
I couldn't resist. It's not as difficult to maneuver as you might have thought, but wings keep catching on things. The thing is just to big for the city.

Extra 300S
Probably the best plane for the task. Controls are sensitive, but once you get used to them, it can actually help you avoid buildings. I finally caught one after I got down to about 50 feet and started zigzagging between buildings at 200 knots. I could fly much slower with a high angle of attack, but that makes it difficult to see where you are going. To be fair, most of the low buildings are not represented in FS2000. It would be nice to see how far it can be pushed in a slightly more realistic NYC.

Sopwith Camel
Slowest of the planes I tried here. Not as maneuverable as Extra, but it's also quite a bit slower, so it's mostly enough to not hit things as long as you don't do anything particularly crazy. Really easy to fly, even between the buildings.

As a side note, to all these saying that one city is too small for planes, I was using JFK as a take off point. Even on a Learjet it took a couple of minutes to get to Manhattan. By the time I got to Manhattan, I was flying well over 500 knots. Cruise speed for most smaller planes is around 120 knots. Three seconds my ass.

Kimd41
  • Kimd41

SRS

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

What if they leave the Dodo hidden? Like in LCS, you only needed the flying cheat.

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:31 PM Edited by azazel., 01 May 2007 - 06:34 PM.

QUOTE (GycuBrun @ May 1 2007, 16:32)
--Helicopters are partially confirmed

Helicopters are 100% confirmed, as per the release of the OPM UK article.

QUOTE (Dan Houser)
There are helicopters, though.

Mister Zero
  • Mister Zero

Z Test Subject

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

user posted image

CJ_Vercetti
  • CJ_Vercetti

Peon

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (GycuBrun @ May 1 2007, 15:32)

--Here are a few pics: ( I dunno the English name of this )

the first one is called hang glider, and the second one (with the engine) is called microlihght I think...
but more probably we will have that flying suite, as flying squirells, with a piece of fabric from your feet to your hands... it is used in some movie, don't remember which...

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (CJ_Vercetti @ May 1 2007, 15:36)
the first one is called hang glider, and the second one (with the engine) is called microlihght I think...

In US, this actually qualifies as an ultralight plane, and ultralights are a general class of aircraft with specific limit on weight and engine power. (Microlight category in some countries is similar, but restrictions aren't as strict.) The one on the picture is a powered glider. Other ultralights can include such things as powered hang gliders, powered paragliders, auto gyros, and some machines very similar to regular planes, but smaller, slower, and often with an open cockpit. There are even a few helicopters that fall in the ultralight category.

Nikofan112
  • Nikofan112

Kneel Before Doctor Insano!

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

Ultralights kick ass. biggrin.gif

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

They do. And an ultralight helicopter would actually be fun in IV. Something like this one.

CJ_Vercetti
  • CJ_Vercetti

Peon

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (K^2 @ May 1 2007, 20:11)

In US, this actually qualifies as an ultralight plane, and ultralights are a general class of aircraft with specific limit on weight and engine power. (Microlight category in some countries is similar, but restrictions aren't as strict.) The one on the picture is a powered glider. Other ultralights can include such things as powered hang gliders, powered paragliders, auto gyros, and some machines very similar to regular planes, but smaller, slower, and often with an open cockpit. There are even a few helicopters that fall in the ultralight category.

thank you man, I didn't know those distinctions, though I prefer te US English, I do get to learn some things from the British area, and when I find out the difference, I start using US English term...
anyway, hope to see such things in GTA IV

soleil
  • soleil

Yes, I play video games.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:12 PM

K^2: Good points there to show that Rockstar could put in planes if they wanted to. The main problem, though, is like I said before, people don't typically take flights from one part of NYC to the other part. I know you said people often fly around with the same departure point and destination point, but define "often" for me, there. The vast majority of Americans don't have their own private plane.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:20 AM

Most people don't own helicopters, either. Besides, most airports rent out private planes to people with pilot license. A lot of people who are licensed to fly don't own planes, because not only the plane is expensive, but you also have to pay for storage, insurance, taxes, etc. So for people who only fly every once in a while, it is a lot cheaper to rent.

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:31 AM

Out of the vehicles the has been posted on the original post only the Helicopter will probably be in the game. All the other ideas will not be added because Rockstar want the game to be gritty and well a glider or a hot air balloon seems a bit to cheerful. This was the reason why the planes were taken out along with because its only a city. So really the only flyable aircraft will most probably be the helicopters.

GycuBrun
  • GycuBrun

Jeapany

• Members

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (ya mum @ May 2 2007, 10:31)
Out of the vehicles the has been posted on the original post only the Helicopter will probably be in the game. All the other ideas will not be added because Rockstar want the game to be gritty and well a glider or a hot air balloon seems a bit to cheerful. This was the reason why the planes were taken out along with because its only a city. So really the only flyable aircraft will most probably be the helicopters.

R* took out planes because with them you could easily get from one end of the map to the other ...I don`t think a glider or a hot air baloon have a big speed, infact helicopters are faster, much more faster...

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

I doubt that speed has anything to do with it. A cruising speed for Bell Jet Ranger, a helicopter similar to GTA's Maverick, is 120 knots. A cruising speed for Cessna 182, an airplane very similar to GTA's Dodo, is 140 knots. Not that much different.

Severe
  • Severe

Dreamer

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:46 PM

I would quite like to see some sort of dirigible, or blimp, in the game. Assasinating someone from such a vessel does not seem that unrealistic of a mission, at least not to me. I wouldn't mind a hot air balloon either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users