» «
Photo

Sirens not working [PC]

9 replies to this topic
bobgreen5s
  • bobgreen5s

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:06 PM Edited by bobgreen5s, 26 April 2007 - 01:41 AM.

The sirens do not work at all. The horn works and I try tapping the horn to activate the siren but it does not work. Therefore I am unable to complete the Mr. Whoopee ice cream truck mission because I cannot activate the ice cream tune sad.gif

Any help would be appreciated

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:45 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 26 April 2007 - 02:40 AM.

You just said you could though. The button for the siren is the same button you press to blow the horn. Just press on it once. As soon as your finger presses down on the key, immediately lift it up. I'm not sure if this bugfix will help:

Problem #20:
After changing the compatibility mode of gta-vc.exe, it is impossible to sprint, blow the horn, or skip cutscenses via the Shift key.

Solution: Click on "Restore Defaults" when in the Controller Setup menu to refresh the SET file.

If no luck, then I suggest you to try a different key assignment because it just might be that your [SHIFT] key is broken and only works if you hold it down. Another reason is that it might be your keyboard drivers as well; I would stick to the Windows generic one instead of using 3rd-Party software such as "Microsoft Intellitype/Logitech iTouch" and other garbage like that which can mess up your computer, especially during games.

One more thing: check in Control Panel -> 'Accessibility Options', make sure FilterKeys are disabled. Now go double-click on the 'Keyboard' icon, and double-check to make sure the repeat rate is in the middle just in case you don't have a driver-related problem. This can be easily done also by uninstalling the keyboard driver in Device Manager; it will reinstall itself upon startup.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:41 AM

You don't know that Shift is his horn key. And you know the key isn't broken if he can blow his horn.

This is a very old issue. The game is sensitive and you have to make sure you tap the horn key. You must be very quick. There's no troubleshooting required; Everybody's game plays this way.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

Buy a gamepad! I don't see why you have problems with pressing a key quickly, it's just like using an ordinary typewriter, phone, or a calculator since holding the key down will result in numbers/letters flying across the screen. It's so easy -> don't hold the key down if you don't have to.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Ring_of_Fire @ Apr 26 2007, 22:30)
Buy a gamepad!

Nah, the keyboard/mouse combo is one of the best assets of the PC port. wink.gif

Also, it truly is rather difficult to 'tap' the horn key as required. It's quite literally one of the most common issues people encounter when playing VC.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:25 PM

Yah, the mouse + keyboard combo is kinda like the Nintendo Wii's controllability and it is much more easier to control using the standard controls unlike the classic controls. You just have more freedom and a nice viewpoint of the entire scenery! But with a gamepad, pressing the analog stick will allow you to hear a "click" sound, so it is easier to tap it when trying to activate the siren.

Also, it truly is rather difficult to 'tap' the horn key as required. It's quite literally one of the most common issues people encounter when playing VC.

Funny how the thread starter here said that he tried "tapping" it already. I hope he is doing it right, but it is not that difficult.

Frame limiter...? Mods...? Corrupted game...? sarcasm.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (Ring_of_Fire @ Apr 26 2007, 09:25)
Funny how the thread starter here said that he tried "tapping" it already.

I've been here for years and the "funny" part is how many people thought they were tapping it and after they were told that the only way they were going to get from point A to point B was by tapping it, suddenly they were. Hell, I KNOW how it has to be done and I still have to give it a few tries.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:56 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 26 April 2007 - 05:02 PM.

It's just a matter of getting used to the key press. Tapping means quickly let go off the key in <1 sec, and Holding means to hold down the key in <= or => 1 sec, for this case only! biggrin.gif There is a "certain" way as to how it must be done.

I can't recall of me not being able to turn on the siren on the first try. Once I kept on doing it, it's basically just natural and I am doing it everytime because of trial & error. Usually when you are in a hurry to press it, you don't do it properly and you supposedly think you are doing it correctly; trying again never hurts and doesn't count towards a failure attempt or "mission impossible". The game designed the controls such that when you press the siren/horn button quickly, you get siren. Hold it, you get horn of course just like in real-life driving situations.

ozzymonger
  • ozzymonger

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

Putting the frame limiter on worked for me smile.gif

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:44 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 07 June 2007 - 04:46 PM.

QUOTE (ozzymonger @ Jun 7 2007, 05:36)
Putting the frame limiter on worked for me smile.gif

A bumped thread, although a good suggestion. Vice City was really meant to be played on 30fps. Any fps over 30 will cause the input devices to slow down and the game itself, because of the rate at which the graphics card is rendering.

Another thing that helps is to delete the [.set] file, turn on/off compaibility mode, or restore the controls back to the defaults, if you weren't able to use the horn initially.

QUOTE (bobgreen5s)
The sirens do not work at all. The horn works and I try tapping the horn to activate the siren but it does not work. Therefore I am unable to complete the Mr. Whoopee ice cream truck mission because I cannot activate the ice cream tune  icon14.gif
Ah, I might need to add the solution for this problem in the bugfix list Bob... rah.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users