» «
Photo

The Driver

59 replies to this topic
Bond
  • Bond

• Members

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:42 PM

This is my all time least favorite mission in all of Vice City. Is there anyone here who know's if it's possible to change the slow-ass car you have to drive when racing Hillary? Or a good way to beat him? So far I have tried everything, and I have still had problems beating him. When I try to ram him on the side of the road, I get more messed up than he does. If anyone has any tips, please let me know ASAP.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:10 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 21 April 2007 - 11:28 PM.

Tips...
  • Always try to overtake Hilary on opposite lanes. If you he's drving on the right, drive to the left or vice versa. Use the sidewalks whenever necessary like when vehicles are about to come.
  • If you want to drive fast around a corner, slow down first and steer away from the corner, and then steer to that corner (never use brakes). Sometimes the handbrake is also useful for this.
  • It is always possible to catch up and beat Hilary when you get a long stretch of road to drive on like when near Ocean Beach's "Ammunation" or Washington Beach's "Bunch of Tools".
"The Race with Hilary" (The Driver) is easy once you do something like this:

You need to make sure you drive on opposite lanes to overtake Hilary, and be in 1st place as soon as the "Illegal Street Racing" appears. Now keep driving on the left lane and Hilary will drive to the right. Once you you are close to the Washington Mall, slow down and wait for Hilary. Once he is near to the pathway that leads to the upper level parking lot, immediately ram his vehicle to the right! That's about it. He should automatically drive inside even when that wasn't his attention. Just blow up his wheels for an easy win.

STEP 1: Be in first place like where I am now, and slow down slightly to wait for Hilary. Go towards the left lane so that Hilary can drive on the right. Prepare yourself for the pathway ramming technique!
user posted image
STEP 2: So ram Hilary's car to the right and he should do this.
user posted image
STEP 3: All Hilary will be doing is driving up the loop that leads to the parking lot above the mall.
user posted image
STEP 4: He should be here.
user posted image
STEP 5: Shoot off his wheels and now drive in any fast/slow car you desire!

Note: It is very useful to fish-tail Hilary out of the way as soon as "Illegal Street Racing" appears (this gives you time to plan out your strategy). It's not hard at all. Ram the front side of your car near to his wheels and then accelerate away from him. Just don't do things like ramming your car at the door sides because you will fail since the Sabre Turbo is heavier. Always aim directly at the back wheels.

After doing these steps, you are *guarenteed* an automatic victory! The game may never even spawn Hilary on the road again.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

This is a question for gameplay, not cheats.

I've found that it's easier to maintain the lead than it is to get it.

So what you do is save before doing the mission. Save at The Malibu. Just down the road, at the fork by the police station, he'll veer to the right to follow the right fork. As he does, hit his back end from the side (PIT manuever). He'll spin out of control while you carefully continue ahead. From there, Hillary will never be an issue again unless you go off course or allow the police to interrupt you.

smaisey
  • smaisey

• Members

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:53 AM

This is what I posted in the other Driver thread:

Don't try to get in front straight away, just bide your time for the first stretch.
Try to maintain a constant speed, as this will make it easier to avoid cops and to keep up with Hillary. On the first turn, it is sometimes possible to bash him here, but it's not always worth the gamble.

If you haven't got in front of him, just stay on his tail until the last checkpoint, where you go over the little bridge by the pizza place. Take the shortcut across the grass (where the police bribe is) as this shaves a couple of seconds off and is probably the only shortcut you can take in the race.

BixDugan
  • BixDugan

Thug

• Members

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:49 PM

"slow car"
?
That Sentinal is slower off the line, but has a higher top end speed than the Hilary driven Turbo Sabre. DON'T FORGET THIS! Just (ha, just) drive cleanly with all speed and take turns carefully. I can usually bump Hilary off course enough to get by him now.
But at first I had to resort to a few tricks like park a Linerunner or Packer along the first half mile somewhere, hoping Hil will swerve to miss it.
You can take that short cut mentioned above, AND the turn before that can also be short cut.
But before actually trying to beat Hil, don't forget to try to get a BP Turbo Sabre by sniping Hil near the end. You fail the mission, but its BULLET PROOF TURBO SABRE!

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:39 PM

Bullet Proof Turbo Sabre ain't for PC version. PS2 had this feature. When I said "fast/slow car", I meant that it wouldn't matter what car you use to drive in because Hilary is stuck and can't move one bit since he is on top of the Washington Mall. There is also a chance of the game not spawning him back on the road again.

BixDugan
  • BixDugan

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:53 PM

I was referring to the original poster's description, "slow-ass car". But no BP Turbo Sabre in the PC version? Wonder why?

So if you snipe Hil, and he falls out, you can snag the TS but its not Bullet-Proof?

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:00 PM

When Hilary dies, you can get the Sabre Turbo or when you fail the mission near to the Malibu Club. The car is only bullet proof (locked-proof as well) once the mission starts. As soon as Hilary comes out and you get "Mission Failed" after the mission ends, it's not anymore.

I was thinking of a trick to push Hilary into a garage property or into Pay 'n' Spray, maybe kill him first, and then lock the garage door. I wouldn't be surprised if his body disappeared. That probably is the only way to get the BP Sabre Turbo, but I doubt it.

BixDugan
  • BixDugan

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

Now that I think about it, I DID have to push the car to a garage to unlock it. Loved that BP TS! (PS2)

oipolloi
  • oipolloi

I say XD too much, just ignore it

• Members

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:55 AM

My strategy was to ignore Hillary completely, just forget about him! try and drive around the course as fast as you possibly can and keep a watch out for the cops, to make sure you avoid them. Then once you've done that you should have won!

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

If you're stuck, the easiest way is to mod the Sentinel in data/handling.cfg. I'll have to try the parking garage gimmick!

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

The car won't disappear while on a mission. I tried to do a trick where Lance was in the vehicle during a missions, placed the vehicle into a garage but he didn't disappear. The vehicle was still inside even ater I had closed it because apparently the garage doesn't work when you're on a mission. What were you talking about anyway glenster?

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (glenster @ May 10 2007, 09:40)
If you're stuck, the easiest way is to mod the Sentinel in data/handling.cfg. I'll have to try the parking garage gimmick!

Except this is the GAMEPLAY forum wink.gif

w≥bster
  • w≥bster

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

Lol this is the easiest mission ever. Open handling.cfg and substitute de ST handling with the crappiest car in VC, and the Sentinel handling with the best car in VC. Now you're ready to own him.

After the race, change back the handling again and nobody will ever know u cheated towards ur victory because u didn't have the leet skills to beat him fair and square.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:00 AM

Nobody asked for modding help... stop offering modding solutions-- and if anyone wants modding help, ask in the modding section-- not in gameplay... the questions and answers don't belong here... (as Dem pointed out)

w≥bster
  • w≥bster

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:17 AM

The dude asked how to change the slow ass car, and I gave him an option of how to do it.

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:45 PM

I know it's the gameplay section, but you want me to suggest the possibility
of modding the Sentinel for a GTA gameplay problem posted here over in the mod-
ding section? I like to be orderly, but not to the extent it's self-defeating
and doesn't make sense.

OK--gameplay:

The easiest way to do "The Driver" and the six Sunshine Autos races (if you're
stuck, which is more likely with such things for people with lower end computers)
is to turn down the visual settings and get one of the bikers' Angels from
"Alloy Wheels of Steel" and do all the races with that.

If you want to do that, do the Malibu mission "The Shootist," buy Sunshine
Autos, get one of the bikers' Angels from the Mitch Baker "Alloy Wheels of
Steel" mission, win the race, leave the special Angel S of the Malibu (go S
through the intersection, turn right, and leave it on the grass by the 4th palm
tree that's close to the sidewalk so it won't disappear while Tommy starts "The
Driver"), have Tommy drive to the Angel and switch to it, then do "The Driver"
and all six Sunshine Auto races in a row.

If you do that, don't save the Angel in a garage or it reverts to being a
regular Angel.

(Another helpful thing like that if such a thing is giving you trouble: it's
easier to beat the timer of the "Checkpoint Charlie" race if you turn off the
frame limiter for the duration of the race.)

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (glenster @ May 12 2007, 23:45)
I know it's the gameplay section, but you want me to suggest the possibility
of modding the Sentinel for a GTA gameplay problem posted here over in the mod-
ding section? I like to be orderly, but not to the extent it's self-defeating
and doesn't make sense.

I think the supposition was more that you'd post it in the Cheats forum (not modding, as no-one asks for mission advice there anyway).

Regardless, you're only receiving comments/advice on where to post - and said comments are not binding by any means. I certainly agree that we don't want to be too restrictive or anal in abiding by the definitions of the forums in which we post. Sure, it's nice to keep things orderly (which Spuds and I, with all due modesty, do a pretty damn nice job of), but I'd be mighty surprised if every new user gave as much thought to the forum in which they post as we elders do. My point being that we frown at cheating advice being provided in the Gameplay forum, yet the user requesting the advice doesn't necessarily want to exclude any forum of cheating from the outset. And if he/she does, what's stopping he/her from simply ignoring any non-conforming posts?

Bah. I'm not too fussed on what's posted where, to be honest. Within reason.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (w≥bster @ May 11 2007, 06:17)
The dude asked how to change the slow ass car, and I gave him an option of how to do it.

No, he asked, in the Gameplay forum, how to pass a mission he was having difficulty with. Furthermore, you arrogantly stated that it's the easiest mission ever, yet proceeded to denote how you had to modify the game to pass it. That's a contradiction.

@Fuzzy: I tend not to cheat my first time through playing a game. After that, if I need to, I will. But that's me. Not everybody is as comfy that way. I've seen plenty of times when those determined to overcome by way of skill regard cheats as the plague. And compared to skill, it is a bit on the lower level. So as leader of the area, you're bound by your title to care what's posted where. Otherwise, we would suffice by A VC forum, not one for cheats and one for gameplay. Don't let your own opinion cloud what's best for the community.

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:11 AM

Since the subject came up, this is the philosophy about it I recommend:

I would only add that people of better ability and PCs being reluctant to use
mods or cheats are a luckier part of the spectrum. Different people are of dif-
ferent levels of strength (IQ, fineness of feature, physical strength, etc.),
which aren't character determinants, and the use of mods or cheats aren't deter-
minants of ethics in a single player game (being unethical being to overindulge
the self at another's unfair regard or treatment, hurt or offense). Many GTA
fans can only can afford a lower end PC to play with (as is the case with many
of the nice people in India I've gotten mail from). The same self-determination
which leads a more skilled person with a better PC to want to succeed on their
own is what leads me to also offer alternatives. If the best strategies aren't
enough for them and they're really stuck due to lower ability and/or a lower end
PC, at least it lets them be self-sufficient.

If you give the good strategies first, you're covered. Some people who bypass
the strategies are more able but just being lazy, but you tried to help the
whole spectrum on your end.

(Services will be held again at noon followed by a lovely lunch. tounge.gif )

BixDugan
  • BixDugan

Thug

• Members

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:50 PM

The funniest part, is that the original poster, Bond, never checked back to let us know what happened. Do we even know what platform he/she plays on?
Besides my advice of parking a big truck somewhere along the course, I also heard that by getting a wanted level before starting the mission could help by letting cops get in Hilary's way. And yours. But we know to watch for them!

agincourtsalute
  • agincourtsalute

Anglo-Celtic

• Members

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:05 PM

I've just cracked it no cheat required on PS2 but it should apply to all formats get the infernus from outside your mansion park it just down the road from start point in front of the humpback bridge on the pavement on
the left side then when you start the race stop next to it and get in it you should catch up with him by the half way point and his peice of sh*t will be
no match for you.

WillzyyyGTA
  • WillzyyyGTA

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:48 PM

@Ring_of_Fire: OMFG!!! wow.gif brilliant tactic mate. wink.gif

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:31 PM Edited by Spuds725, 03 June 2007 - 10:49 PM.

Kind of old news-- I run a VC recordbook on another forum and this was known ages ago--

I got a 1:50 on the race using the hotring racer (I held the record for a while)-- I pass hillary at the first hard left turn-- guess I should have added this to the thread.

I park the racer at the first intersection.. on the left side with the drivers door next to the street light pole--so Tommy gets out on the passenger side and then move away so the door stays open.. this saves a second or so...

The Record 1:46 was done with a "super" angel you can steal in the race "alloy wheels of steel" from one of the other bikers... this bike is not saveable but you can spray and use it in whatever race you want if you have them unlocked... if you save it, it loses its speed and perfect handling.. so if you want to work on your race times, you have to keep a save with "alloy..." not completed so you can get one anytime you want.

Here are the records...

1. 1:46 - KieranMurphy
2. 1:50 - Spuds725
2. 1:50 - Famine
4. 1:57 - RancidMilk
5. 2:00 - vrmx

Here is my screenie/post for my 1:50

http://gtplanet.net/...8&postcount=942

http://gtplanet.net/...12&d=1078449002

As you can see I did this over 3 years ago.

waterdown3
  • waterdown3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

hey yah can some one give me a downladable mod for this mission or wat

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

Dem's TimeVault. And in all honesty, thhis mission is nothin' if you can manage to ram Hilary into a parking lot! I heard you can edit Hilary's Sabre Turbo by editing [handling.cfg]. Not sure.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (waterdown3 @ Jul 13 2007, 10:27)
hey yah can some one give me a downladable mod for this mission or wat

ROF's right. Time Vault will accomplish any task in the game for you except for knocking off stores.

WillzyyyGTA
  • WillzyyyGTA

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:54 PM

Speaking of Driver, I have just completed it, I hope this helps a bit. biggrin.gif

silenscer
  • silenscer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

I like Ring_of_Fire's method, but i also have a few methods. 1 is a cheater way. Pause the game and spawn a hotring racer tounge.gif "getthereveryfastindeed" I Think, shift to the hotring racer and own hillary. I am still tinking about d others... catspider.gif barf8bd.gif

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:44 PM

TUTORIAL: How-to beat "The Driv3r" with little effort

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users