Vehicle Damage

98 replies to this topic
Ithanium
  • Ithanium

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Apr 16 2007, 03:36)
I'd like to see damage affecting the performance of the car, but still I have to agree on the whole thing about the fun of GTA being able to wreck the car and still keep driving. I'm in between...

++

Craize
  • Craize

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

As you all know... gta doesnt like remembering where you've left cars e.t.c because the game engine believes it to be obsolete. I think the idea around cars catching fire when they're upside down is to just get rid of them as they have become obsolete.

Shifty07
  • Shifty07

@Samgrafix

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

I really think we will see a new dynamic way to vehicle damage. I cant wait to see it. The old way, with the panels falling off etc really annoyed me. devil.gif

ArtGuy71
  • ArtGuy71

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

Guys, Euphoria doesn't do vehicles - it's an biological (peds, animals) A.I. and animation system only. But remember that both 360 and PS3 support the Havok physics engine, check out the insane vehicle damage in the PS3 game Motorstorm - that's what we should be hoping for! smile.gif

Art

XBOXLOVER
  • XBOXLOVER

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (XBOXLOVER @ Apr 16 2007, 06:45)
Has anybody thought about the bike damage? What would happen if you slamed a bike into a wall at 150 mph?And what about heli damage (if they have helis that is)what about water craft?

Has anybody thought about this yet?

G MONEY $$$
  • G MONEY $$$

Moneybaggz

• The Connection

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

TOCA has always had some great damage modelling, ever since the first game.

Wightboy
  • Wightboy

Cooler than the other side of your pillow.

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:33 PM

in addition to all this what about if the driver of the car, driving 100 mph, flys into a small brick wall ? i'd love to then see him catapulted through the front windscreen, and then landing on the ground and his body moving in a realistic way - maybey ragdoll physics? smile.gif

XBOXLOVER
  • XBOXLOVER

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Wightboy @ Apr 16 2007, 20:33)
in addition to all this what about if the driver of the car, driving 100 mph, flys into a small brick wall ? i'd love to then see him catapulted through the front windscreen, and then landing on the ground and his body moving in a realistic way - maybey ragdoll physics?   smile.gif

Thats what happens in saints row and it gets boring after a while.

Bring on the LC Slaughter!&#
  • Bring on the LC Slaughter!&#

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:03 PM

Everyone keeps talking about how they want more realistic damage, but does no one realise how annoying it'll be when you accidentally clip a car at top speed, causing you to veer into a wall. Your car would be totalled, because that's what happens to a real car, but the cops will be right there busting your ass. Sure it's realistic, that's great and all. But wait till you fail the mission 50 times in a row because of it. Everyone will be singing a different tune then.

I'm happy with being able to drive into walls and keep going. I'd like a better variety of car damage, but nothing too extensive, like your car being wrote off completely because you hit something, that will suck just about every bit of fun out of the game.

swimfreak430
  • swimfreak430

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:26 PM Edited by swimfreak430, 16 April 2007 - 10:33 PM.

the thing is that means you suck at driving. this will make people want to save there cars and not damage them. instead of taking the easy way out. like driving 140 mph into a road block should almost intantly kill you but in gta you might get white smoke. its just an extra insentive to drive better

i hope to expect something like this

dont you wish every cop chase was like this
exept the cheesey ending where they are droped from a plane

Obese_Tony
  • Obese_Tony

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (Bring on the LC Slaughter!&# @ Apr 16 2007, 22:03)
Everyone keeps talking about how they want more realistic damage, but does no one realise how annoying it'll be when you accidentally clip a car at top speed, causing you to veer into a wall. Your car would be totalled, because that's what happens to a real car, but the cops will be right there busting your ass. Sure it's realistic, that's great and all. But wait till you fail the mission 50 times in a row because of it. Everyone will be singing a different tune then.

I'm happy with being able to drive into walls and keep going. I'd like a better variety of car damage, but nothing too extensive, like your car being wrote off completely because you hit something, that will suck just about every bit of fun out of the game.

I disagree sir. Think about it, cop cars would suffer the same consequences from a crash, meaning their car would be totalled. Now if in a chase, you could get the pursueing cops to smash their car into another car/or a wall, you'd have a headstart on any fresh new batch of police vehicles joining in on the pursuit, so that should you smash your car, it'll give you enough time to find another vehicle before the other cops arrive.

Of course they should also consider this in the mission-making part, meaning they won't let you drive 10 minutes to a location with one car while in a police chase. Now that would spoil the fun.

Drumbum1234
  • Drumbum1234

Drums

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:51 PM

do you think if you crash bad enough, you could lose a bit of health? I think that would be realistic.

fat_face
  • fat_face

Speedballer

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Drumbum1234 @ Apr 16 2007, 22:51)
do you think if you crash bad enough, you could lose a bit of health? I think that would be realistic.

tht wud p#ss me off so badly! it was liek that in driv3r and you get where you were going and get killed byt the first round that hit you icon13.gif

Thunderfuckrapist
  • Thunderfuckrapist

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE (gtastinger19 @ Apr 16 2007, 04:50)
I liked how way back in GTA2 a single part of the car could catch on fire and it wouldn't necessarily make the vehicle blow up. I wish they'd bring that back.

Didnt the fire just get bigger and bigger until it exploded?

G MONEY $$$
  • G MONEY $$$

Moneybaggz

• The Connection

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE (OnePiece @ Apr 16 2007, 18:04)
QUOTE (gtastinger19 @ Apr 16 2007, 04:50)
I liked how way back in GTA2 a single part of the car could catch on fire and it wouldn't necessarily make the vehicle blow up. I wish they'd bring that back.

Didnt the fire just get bigger and bigger until it exploded?

Yeah I think that's how it worked. I'm not really a fan of that idea since...random parts of a car don't usually catch on fire since...well, metal isn't exactly flammable. tounge.gif

archiebunker
  • archiebunker

Working Class Hero

• Members

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE (swimfreak430 @ Apr 16 2007, 22:26)
the thing is that means you suck at driving. this will make people want to save there cars and not damage them. instead of taking the easy way out. like driving 140 mph into a road block should almost intantly kill you but in gta you might get white smoke. its just an extra insentive to drive better

Blues Brothers... nice!

Dagon
  • Dagon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:03 AM Edited by Dagon, 18 April 2007 - 10:12 AM.

QUOTE (Bring on the LC Slaughter!&# @ Apr 16 2007, 22:03)

Man, realistic damage doesn't mean that your car will get totaled after few collisions. It's all about apearance. In games like Carmagedon and Flatout(havent played Burnout) you can smash your car to the pieces and still keep driving. It's all about that the damage looks realisticly but it doesn't affect you realisticly. And that's the fun in it. You can experience head-on-head collision and back the car after that and drive away. In carmagedon you could actually split your car in to the two parts. And that was fun. Of coarse you couldn't continue the race after that, but it wasnt that easy to achieve such kind of damage.
And about the hiting the buildings in 150mph. Tell me who does such stupid thing. Even if you fail to turn, most likelly you will slide and hit the wall sideways in much smaller speed and keep driving with broken doors and without the wing-mirror. And if someone actually hits the wall head-on. Well that someone is either moron or self-murderer.

And the injury in car chrash thing. Mafia had such feature and it never bothered me. Even in top-speed head-on-head collision driver survived, unless he was almost dead before that.
I dont think there should be driver flying out of the front window thing. No reasonable man involved in a car chase would drive without seatbelts. Though reasonable people dont get involved in car chases. wow.gif

Update: Hey there already were injuries in GTA-crashes. When driving a bike, if you fall of, you get injured. Its almost never fatal. And if you would get injured in car you would take even less damage so what's the big deal? Huh?

BlackMamba47
  • BlackMamba47

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:41 PM

I say add in the Saints Row style car damage with the dents and bumps, and just heavily refine it for the increased graphical compabilities R* will be using, and add in small damage for serious collisions, but nothing where you end up immediately dying unless you get thrown out of the car or the car explodes.

Kimd41
  • Kimd41

SRS

• Members

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:17 PM

LMAO WTF was that ending??
The car made a 90 degrees vertical and went flying and then the police went flying like it's dropped from the biggest uilding WTF?

LongDarkBlues
  • LongDarkBlues

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:12 PM

I just saw this tech demo for Far Cry 2 (which will rule) but I thought it's real-time realistic vehicle deformation would be a good complement to Euphoria - there's a video up here.

archiebunker
  • archiebunker

Working Class Hero

• Members

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (kimd41 @ Apr 18 2007, 14:17)

LMAO WTF was that ending??
The car made a 90 degrees vertical and went flying and then the police went flying like it's dropped from the biggest uilding WTF?

You've never seen The Blues Brothers? You got gyped.

Brutuz
  • Brutuz

Otherwise known as Joe.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:26 PM

Flatout2 Style would be really awesome, It takes a few hits from a heavy car to get rid of the Derby Car in the Demo, and it looks really Realistic, Not to mention the explosions are way cooler.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Jake602 @ Apr 16 2007, 04:18)
well what else are you gonna do with your car fliped over

"wow" dontgetit.gif
"well here i gone and flipped my car again" confused.gif
"maybe if i sit here and stare at it it'll flip back" wow.gif
"hmmmm...it seems to have caught on fire now" mercie_blink.gif
"oh golly i hope it dont explo-(BOOM) cry.gif

Maybe if you're strong enough you could flip it back, or use a forklift truck/another car and ram it back up.

There are plenty of reasons why they shouldn't explode, though it would detract from the havoc we could cause on older GTAs (for example freeway massacres on GTA:SA).

scarfaceskrell
  • scarfaceskrell

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:56 PM

More realistic damage structures, agreed that old ones gets.. let's just say old ;P, with the sick improvement on the graphics i think that it is obvious that they will make everything as good as possible ;P

TheCollector
  • TheCollector

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

Realistic damaging but PLEASE leave the engine alone.

It was so crap playing the getaway because of that..the car would just break down.

Mithos
  • Mithos

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:44 PM Edited by Mithos, 19 April 2007 - 02:12 AM.

What I am expecting from the Vehicle Damage is BURNOUT CRASHES, nothing is better than the crash physics from the Burnout series and then mix it in with the new game engine DMM (Digital Molecular Matter). IF they put that into GTA 4 *drools* I rather crash cars all day listening to the radio.

DMM (Most Already Seen this)

Burnout Crashes (Burnout 3 Takedown) 10 Mins Long btw but Nice

Or Burnout Revenge (Latest One Out)

Plus Photo's
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

krashdown
  • krashdown

PSN: Krashdown_

• D1RTY12
  • Australia

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

Chrashes should be more realistic but not slow us totally down though after hitting things.

Panels should hang or get jammed shut before falling off like magic and they should even drag on the ground and make sparks. when cars take hits the structure should deform and alter the cars peformance and shape and cost more/less to repair depending on the damage.

We should definatley have better burnouts and wheel spin and more smoke from them which should be easier with the better L2 & R2 buttons (fully depress to do spin the wheels).

Cars should only blow up if they are so damaged they cannot be driven, cars shouldn't always blow up only because they are upside down. also when cars get damaged their sound should change like if the gearbox is cooked then the gears should chrunch or make grinding noises when changing gears. i would also like to see the option of a manual transmission in the menu.

krama
  • krama

Hustler

• Members

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:42 AM Edited by krama, 10 June 2007 - 08:09 AM.

i have the highest expectations for car damage in gta iv than any other game that has cars in it

it shouldnt be just panels and windscreens smash i expect the whole chassis to buckle and deform, axles to bend and snap steering columns to shatter, wheels falling off, if i go under a concrete block a metre high it should rip the roof off, if i roll i want the roof to crush in not explode(i have rolled many cars in real life and not a single one had anything that even resembled fire or an explosion), destructible mechanicle parts, if i rev my engine to 15,000 rpm i want a piston to come flying out of the bonnet, air bags to go off, go trough the window if im not wearing a seatbelt, realistic audio that fits in, bullet holes in the panels and windows, when you shoot a window it should shatter then break when shot again like in rainbow six vegas, i wanna shoot out headlights,i want realistic popped tyres, no more fire followed by explosion (yeah the car can explode if i put a kilo of c4 in it)i wannt to drive my car till its absolutly undriveable

after all with r.a.g.e and euphoria who knows whats beyond the horizon

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:50 AM

We heard a description of sparks when a collision accured in the demo as I seem to recall, it was said to look and sound real with the new vehicles, add to that that each time there were fires and explosions they seemed to get better!

My hope, new digital surround sound and fire as good as the water improvements, or at best, as good as the SKY improvements, will be very welcome! I love explosions...who doesn't? Fire has definately been improving and that's all part of car destructions as well.
Got to compete with Burnout for one thing, and a new one is in the works!!

XBOXLOVER
  • XBOXLOVER

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Jun 10 2007, 05:50)
We heard a description of sparks when a collision accured in the demo as I seem to recall, it was said to look and sound real with the new vehicles, add to that that each time there were fires and explosions they seemed to get better!

My hope, new digital surround sound and fire as good as the water improvements, or at best, as good as the SKY improvements, will be very welcome! I love explosions...who doesn't? Fire has definately been improving and that's all part of car destructions as well.
Got to compete with Burnout for one thing, and a new one is in the works!!

ah I love Burnout. inlove.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users