Photo

Vehicle Damage

98 replies to this topic
G MONEY $$$
  • G MONEY $$$

Moneybaggz

• The Connection

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:17 AM

Now I know the subject has been discussed more than a few times over the months/years but seeing as I haven't seen a topic on it lately I'd like to get some thoughts. What are you guys expecting in terms of vehicle damage?Obviously long gone are the days of repetitive static damage models. Are we going to see fairly dynamic damage modelling like in Saint's Row, or something even better? Personally I think that the Saint's Row-style damage, although a step forward, was not that great. Perhaps we'll see something revolutionary in GTAIV, what do you guys think?

Mafia Righthand_Man
  • Mafia Righthand_Man

Shuffle off.

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:19 AM

I wish it wouldn't be just panels and parts falling off the cars. I wanna see crushed and twisted body frames, axles falling off, etc. The old way gets so old after a while.

Steege
  • Steege

Veteran Lurker

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:20 AM Edited by Steege, 16 April 2007 - 03:23 AM.

I'd like to see more extensive, and detailed damage physics, but as others have said, having your car totaled or torn apart like in the Burnout games would be too much.

The fun thing about GTA games is that you can slam into sh*t and fly off cliffs, and still keep driving... until the car catches fire. tounge.gif

And brings up another thing, will cars catch fire and explode when they get tipped over? It's a GTA tradition, but with this whole "realism" thing, will they perhaps change it? wow.gif

The Seth
  • The Seth

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:24 AM

If they are going to use the Euphoria Engine than the damage won't look the same for every car. So, I'm expecting more ralistic damages. I don't expect to drice the same car after crashing it in to a wall with 150 km/h.

G MONEY $$$
  • G MONEY $$$

Moneybaggz

• The Connection

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:27 AM

It'd definitely like the driving ability to be reduced if you smash into a wall at a high speed. Maybe a bit of axel/frame twisting. Up 'til now the only thing that has really reduced the ability to drive well has been popped tires...but even that doesn't affect handling much.

ColdFirez
  • ColdFirez

The Englishman

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:31 AM

i think we'll see some pretty amazing physics with the Euphoria Engine, i can't wait to actually start seeing some footages of cars smashing.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:36 AM

I'd like to see damage affecting the performance of the car, but still I have to agree on the whole thing about the fun of GTA being able to wreck the car and still keep driving. I'm in between...

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:38 AM

Not to dampen the spirits here but the Driver physics of cars being undrivable after a few hits was pretty f*ckin lame. GTA is fine as it is now. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

germinals
  • germinals

your mum has better online play.

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:48 AM

i want a new damage graphical engine but with the old style driving gameplay..you should still be able to drive with extensive damage, unless the car is fully mangled and has been cut into 2 after a high speed collison with a telegraph pole..

not sure on my take of the car blowing up after a while but it shouldnt be left out of the game

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:49 AM

I am sure that the designers will find a great balance to find something we love. Sure this is next-gen and super-realistic, but i doubt that will inhibit their judgment as to make the physics "next-gen and super-realistic". They will balance it out for the perfect game play.

Thunderfuckrapist
  • Thunderfuckrapist

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:52 AM

I really hope cars dont burst into flame when you flip them, its boring and really stupid.

Jake602
  • Jake602

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:18 AM

well what else are you gonna do with your car fliped over

"wow" dontgetit.gif
"well here i gone and flipped my car again" confused.gif
"maybe if i sit here and stare at it it'll flip back" wow.gif
"hmmmm...it seems to have caught on fire now" mercie_blink.gif
"oh golly i hope it dont explo-(BOOM) cry.gif

G twenty-nine
  • G twenty-nine

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:24 AM

I think that cars will be peds only (No driving). So that takes care of that.

TJHooker
  • TJHooker

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (kevin2006rhs @ Apr 16 2007, 03:49)
I am sure that the designers will find a great balance to find something we love. Sure this is next-gen and super-realistic, but i doubt that will inhibit their judgment as to make the physics "next-gen and super-realistic". They will balance it out for the perfect game play.

agree cause i dont really want not to be able to driver car after smashed into the wall... confused.gif

TJHooker
  • TJHooker

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE (G twenty-nine @ Apr 16 2007, 04:24)

sorry? no driving thats funny...well maybe i'm not quite sure if i understood you biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

G twenty-nine
  • G twenty-nine

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE (TJHooker @ Apr 16 2007, 04:28)

sorry? no driving thats funny...well maybe i'm not quite sure if i understood you biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Yeah, what I said was pretty retarded. What I mean is, the peds will be able to walk around and enter cars and drive, but you cannot drive. No driving in GTA IV.

VIPERGTSR01
  • VIPERGTSR01

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:34 AM

This is one area I hope GTA IV will highly improve. I would love to be able to 'write' my car off, even if it takes a few big hits to do it. I am so tired of the damage just being limited to panels of the car and not the body itself.

TJHooker
  • TJHooker

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (G twenty-nine @ Apr 16 2007, 04:29)
QUOTE (TJHooker @ Apr 16 2007, 04:28)

Yeah, what I said was pretty retarded. What I mean is, the peds will be able to walk around and enter cars and drive, but you cannot drive. No driving in GTA IV.

AHAHAAHAAHHAA thats even funnier biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif in that case i would give this game name Grand Thefto NOT Auto or something like that smile.gif ))

LCS ZOMBIE
  • LCS ZOMBIE

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:35 AM

I'd love to see much more sensative cars. Lets say you back nto a poll, Wouldn't it b great to actualy see a rounded dent in your bumper, rather then looking like you backed right into a building insted? Also when you roll over, collapsing roofs or roofs with dents would be great.

gtastinger19
  • gtastinger19

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:50 AM

I liked how way back in GTA2 a single part of the car could catch on fire and it wouldn't necessarily make the vehicle blow up. I wish they'd bring that back.

spazmo
  • spazmo

Rappers are gettin' wrecked due to lack of respect - Apathy

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:25 AM

If they do improve the vehicle's damage, I hope they make it so a tank crushes car not blows them up and monster trucks crush em not just drives over them

Trideez
  • Trideez

GTAForums OG

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:31 AM

Whoever said it doesn't need to change must have never played a next gen game. If they were to release IV with the crappy vehicle damage that the previous games had, no one should buy it. I agree, while Saint's Row's vehicle damage wasn't perfect, it was a thousand times better than any GTA's so far. Fender benders should not be fender destroyers. My bumper shouldn't fall off into the middle of the street because I tapped the car in front of me.

Of course we're going to get a more realistic damage system though, it's NEXT GEN.

Mister V
  • Mister V

Farseer

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:40 AM

user posted image
This game (FlatOut) is several years old by now (I couldn't find my screens of FlatOut2, they look even better), and its damage model still rocks.
Compare to the newest one:
user posted image

It's really the fun GTA needs. colgate.gif

LCS ZOMBIE
  • LCS ZOMBIE

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (Mister V @ Apr 16 2007, 05:40)
user posted image
This game (FlatOut) is several years old by now (I couldn't find my screens of FlatOut2, they look even better), and its damage model still rocks.
user posted image

Whoa, that would be amazing in GTA IV, altough thats almost TOO realistic. dozingoff.gif

Mister V
  • Mister V

Farseer

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:53 AM

No, it's really not, want to know why? Because even after that damage you could still win the race (you can go attop speed and stuff, although your handling is a bit worse). Meaning extraordinary fun + satisfaction.
It's the only racing game I like, and I don't like racing at all smile.gif

G MONEY $$$
  • G MONEY $$$

Moneybaggz

• The Connection

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:53 AM

It'd be nice to see some more flying glass/bits of metal in big crashes.

Oh, and if you guys like the topic, please rate it. smile.gif

XBOXLOVER
  • XBOXLOVER

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:45 AM Edited by XBOXLOVER, 16 April 2007 - 06:50 AM.

Has anybody thought about the bike damage? What would happen if you slamed a bike into a wall at 150 mph?And what about heli damage (if they have helis that is)what about water craft?

yassa
  • yassa

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:50 PM

it would be amazin if a high speed/intense crash was like the burnout's crashes, slow motion and seeing bits of the car fly off and windows smashing all in slow motion

Soraz
  • Soraz

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

All i really would like to see changed about the cars are the whole "Catching fire and exsploding when up side down thingy.." it's just so...fake, i'm hating hollywood for starting this stupid sh*t in movies...

R* ...CARS DO NOT EXSPLODE!!!!!! Watch Mythbusters ffs.....thx tounge.gif

GycuBrun
  • GycuBrun

Jeapany

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (Mister V @ Apr 16 2007, 05:40)
user posted image
user posted image

user posted image

From Flatout 2 and check this one

It`s from TOCA 3 , I want this kind of damage + Euphoria smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users