Photo

Car Talk Topic

5,679 replies to this topic
Chris CJ Jakobsson
  • Chris CJ Jakobsson

Homie

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

So i looked at that BMW today.. damn the owner got all upset when i said "the car needed new tyres"

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

I've been driving an Audi A1 (2013 1.4 TFSI S-Line) for the past couple days here in London. So far I am enjoying it, it's a fun car and it looks good. The only thing I don't like is the harsh ride. I haven't driven many small cars but the A1 seems stiffer than the others I've driven.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Hellhound Warpig

• United-Kingdom

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

The ride on just about every little warmish hatch apart from the Clio 197 is pretty crap. Big wheels and low rude height on tiny cars isn't conducive to decent ride.

Michaś
  • Michaś

No US for me in 2014... BLNT

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Wow, has anyone else noticed this?

Daewoo Nubira

user posted image

Facelift Maserati Quattroporte.

user posted image

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

user posted image

user posted image

Got fooled once on the highway at night I must admit

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

http://edmonton.kiji...QAdIdZ475426537

I know I should go do a thorough inspection if I buy it, just wanted to see what you guys think? What are the best coupe's you can recommend? The steering wheel is on the wrong side confused.gif

LCstuntman
  • LCstuntman

It's a wonderful horrible life.

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Mister @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 15:06)
http://edmonton.kiji...QAdIdZ475426537

I know I should go do a thorough inspection if I buy it, just wanted to see what you guys think? What are the best coupe's you can recommend? The steering wheel is on the wrong side confused.gif

Well these are the best $5000 coupes I can think of that you can get in the States; I'm sure they have more options in Canada like Skyline, but I don't know the prices:

Nissan 240SX/Silvia S13, Nissan 300ZX, GC8 Subaru Impreza RS, N/A Mazda Miata, FD Mazda RX7, Honda Civic Si, Fox-body Ford Mustang, VW GTI possibly, Mark III Toyota Supra, uh... f*ck. I know I'm forgetting some whatsthat.gif

MR2's are great, but I'd be wary of any owner that puts a body kit on one...

Michaś
  • Michaś

• Members

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

BMW E36 Coupe? I'm sure you could fetch a 328i for under $5000.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

I think the noisy custom exhaust will grow old very fast. I agree with LCS that examples with a body-kit are not ones to go for (purely because they are more likely to have been thrashed), plus the cons list is rather off-putting. It looks like the owner has just got fed up of maintaining it.

LCS provided a pretty comprehensive list of coupes, but if the MR2 is specifically what you want, go for a clean example with a full service history (avoid crazy mods that could shorten the life of the car and may be indicative of it being abused). If you want to put your own touches on the car it's up to you, but start with a solid foundation if you don't want to end up with a hole in your pocket.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Hellhound Warpig

• United-Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

I'm currently thinking of downsizing to free up some money to buy a house. Top choice at the moment is a Renaultsport Clio 197

user posted image

κενιη
  • κενιη

Bringer of Dramageddon

• The Connection

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

They always seemed a bit cutesy to me. Seeing as I lack the in-depth knowledge of EU spec vehicles and their costs, I am left only to say: No. Get the Megane RS. Its loads cooler.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Hellhound Warpig

• United-Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

Current gen? 15k for a tidy one. Older doable for much less (about 3k). I like theholder one but the missus hates them. A decent 197 can be had for 4k and they're great fun to drive.

κενιη
  • κενιη

Bringer of Dramageddon

• The Connection

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:04 AM Edited by κενιη, 07 June 2013 - 11:11 AM.

Eh...I thought your pockets were deeper. To be honest, I only like the current-gen Megane. The previous generation looks like they took the Avantime, crossed it with a Civic, and reworked the body in an edgy, Cadillac "Art and Science" design kind of way on the ass of the hatch.

The new ones are one of the few cars I genuinely hate Europeans for having access to. They are awesome looking and seem to be a blast to drive.

I would love a Cup 250

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Hellhound Warpig

• United-Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (κενιη @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 12:04)
Eh...I thought your pockets were deeper. To be honest, I only like the current-gen Megane. The previous generation looks like they took the Avantime, crossed it with a Civic, and reworked the body in an edgy, Cadillac "Art and Science" design kind of way on the ass of the hatch.

The new ones are one of the few cars I genuinely hate Europeans for having access to. They are awesome looking and seem to be a blast to drive.

I would love a Cup 250

I would love a 250, but the main reason for downsizing is to free up as much cash as possible. I might end up running a borderline beater for a couple of years whilst I complete a house purchase. We've got one plenty big enough car in the household so I'm after something cheap to buy, cheap to run and a laugh to drive. Ideas always appreciated.

Michaś
  • Michaś

• Members

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

I had a chance to test drive the new Mercedes S250 CDI. While it certainly felt luxurious, that 4 pot took away from the experience sad.gif

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

sivis, how much commuting do you do? I can imagine after having driven an Audi for so long, downsizing to a Clio could be tedious for long drives. It may be better to switch to a slightly ageing executive compact if the maintenance costs measure up right.

Speaking from experience, no matter how much care and attention you pay, French cars have a tendency to just...fall apart.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Hellhound Warpig

• United-Kingdom

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 21:34)
sivis, how much commuting do you do? I can imagine after having driven an Audi for so long, downsizing to a Clio could be tedious for long drives. It may be better to switch to a slightly ageing executive compact if the maintenance costs measure up right.

Speaking from experience, no matter how much care and attention you pay, French cars have a tendency to just...fall apart.

At the moment I don't have to do much commuting at all. About a 15-minute commute to and from work every day, with the occasional client visit, but nowhere near as frequent as I used to and I don't have to take clients out very often, if ever. Most of the driving I do is for pleasure, hence me looking towards hot hatches. The missus has a company Golf she doesn't really use which I'm also insured on. I'm really looking for a sort of "fast road" car, something that will hold up reasonably well on swift A- and B-road blasts or on the odd track day. I'd be all over something like an MX-5 if I didn't have to carry dogs from time to time. I'm actually looking at an 2004/54 facelift Leon Cupra tomorrow that's local, good condition, has had all the requisite service parts done and is nice and cheap, plus already has a few choice tweaks- a Badger 5 remap, Forge diverter valve and Mitek exhaust.

Aside from the quality of the interior, you'd be surprised at how uncomfortable an A4 S-Line on 18" RS6 clones is, especially given the quality of the roads around here.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'd much prefer the '04 Cupra to the Clio, plus it hasn't got so much depreciation to do (which makes it a much better 'temporary' car).

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (Garfield 2 @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 23:31)
I had a chance to test drive the new Mercedes S250 CDI. While it certainly felt luxurious, that 4 pot took away from the experience sad.gif

I didn't even know they had a S250. I thought my S350 was already the base model. I can imagine the 250 to be frustratingly slow since the 350 is already pretty bad.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Hellhound Warpig

• United-Kingdom

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 15:05)
I'd much prefer the '04 Cupra to the Clio, plus it hasn't got so much depreciation to do (which makes it a much better 'temporary' car).

That's what I'm thinking. Cupras can be had under a grand at the moment- the one I'm looking at is nearly three times that but it's in fantastic condition and, as I said before, has some choice mods on it already.

Another thing we might do is keep the A4 as a load-lugger/dog-wagon, my partner return her Golf and claim the rest of her year's company car allowance as salary, and use that instead. I'm kind of leaning this way at the moment because I can foresee selling the Audi being a massive ball-ache as the market is absolutely saturated with them.

ItsAllAboutGTA
  • ItsAllAboutGTA

Project IV Staff

• Members

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

user posted image

What do you guys think of the Peugeot 406 ? sigh.gif

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Hellhound Warpig

• United-Kingdom

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (ItsAllAboutGTA @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 16:35)
user posted image

What do you guys think of the Peugeot 406 ? sigh.gif

In what context? They're fine as an everyday beater but they're a two decade old French saloon car. Basically a badly made washing machine with four doors and the interior of a Turkish taxi.

Chris CJ Jakobsson
  • Chris CJ Jakobsson

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

I like to be honest

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:56 PM Edited by epoxi, 08 June 2013 - 06:58 PM.

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 16:31)
Cupras can be had under a grand at the moment- the one I'm looking at is nearly three times that but it's in fantastic condition and, as I said before, has some choice mods on it already.

That still sounds like the best idea, I can imagine the parts would be expensive if something went wrong (for instance back when you were saying a set of Cupra wheels still fetch 1,000+).

Edit: Every dog has its day...

user posted image

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Hellhound Warpig

• United-Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 19:56)
QUOTE (sivispacem @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 16:31)
Cupras can be had under a grand at the moment- the one I'm looking at is nearly three times that but it's in fantastic condition and, as I said before, has some choice mods on it already.

That still sounds like the best idea, I can imagine the parts would be expensive if something went wrong (for instance back when you were saying a set of Cupra wheels still fetch 1,000+).

Cupra R brakes and wheels are very much in demand. The wheels have tailed off a bit in price but a set of Cupra R 4-pot front Brembos is still about 700 second-hand. The appeal being that they're bolt-ons for the Mk4 Golf/Audi A3/Skoda Octavia lineage. The 20VT engine is pretty much bullet-proof as a motor, the weak point can be the turbochargers, particularly in K04 form- it's actually cheaper to drop a small, fast-spooling Garrett GT series in than replace a blown BorgWarner unit. I've actually pencilled in a rough plan, a map to fast road happiness, if you will, should I get this one.

> Polybushes all round
> Porsche Sport (996) Recaros
> KW Inox Variant 1's or possibly IV2s if I can get a second-hand set cheap, plus possibly top mounts
> Stack goodies for inside (boost, oil pressure)

Then I'll probably enjoy for a while before I consider what else to do.

Also, insurance. How is it so cheap on hot hatches? I know I'm old now and have lots of no-claims, but to insure a Cupra with declared existing mods on a 10k a year policy with all the bells and whistles is under 400 for me...

Michaś
  • Michaś

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 14:51)

I didn't even know they had a S250. I thought my S350 was already the base model. I can imagine the 250 to be frustratingly slow since the 350 is already pretty bad.

I think it may have even been slower than the 2.0 Diesel V50 that I use on daily basis.

I can understand why though. I had a 30km drive, and I averaged 6.8l/100km which on a car like that is pretty darn impressive.

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (Garfield 2 @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 10:44)
QUOTE (Outcast @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 14:51)

I think it may have even been slower than the 2.0 Diesel V50 that I use on daily basis.

I can understand why though. I had a 30km drive, and I averaged 6.8l/100km which on a car like that is pretty darn impressive.

If you are doing some stupid 50-70km commuting on stupid roads, and do a lot of highway at law-compliant speeds, it is not a bad choice. If it is for communting only, well hello Tesla S.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Hellhound Warpig

• United-Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

Took the Cupra out for a test drive earlier. Really enjoyed it- few things need work (rear disks need doing, plus it could do with a tyre change as the rears are crap and mismatched) but pulls very hard, sounds good and feels very spritely after the Audi. Going to try a few other cars in the week but thinking of making an offer for it.

matthew1g
  • matthew1g

Trust me, I'm a pipe smoker

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

Still looking at Diesel BMWs here. Sort of gave up looking for e36's since I haven't seen one that doesn't require some sort of work to be done on it, So I'm looking at e46 320Ds.

Anyone every had any experience with said cars? I Hear there's an issue with swirlflaps coming loose, but not much else apart from normal things due to wear and tear.

I'm looking at this http://www.maltapark...?ItemID=2406174, althought the fact that it's remapped sort of scares me. The car is probably hovering around 100k-110k miles. Still need to check. Is it worth looking at, or should I find something else? Also I thought BMW advised AGAINST remapping and did not do it themselves?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Hellhound Warpig

• United-Kingdom

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:01 AM Edited by sivispacem, 10 June 2013 - 07:03 AM.

The 2 litre diesel engines are decent enough units, if a little slow- no huge issues with them apart from the swirl flaps. The 3.0 diesel units are much faster, but have a catalogue of common faults- turbocharger, EGR, inlet manifold, dual-mass flywheel. All E46s can suffer from suspension niggles- most commonly failed lower rear wishbone bushes, but also split springs, leaky dampers and top mounts. Electrics can be a bit dicky. Remapped cars with high torque outputs that have been driven hard have a propensity towards cracking or tearing the chassis around the rear subframe, where the diff cradle meets the body- this is much more common on M3s though,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users