Car Talk Topic

5,676 replies to this topic
Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

Would a Maserati 3500GT be around the same price?

I've been looking to move out of London and into the countryside. Already set aside a few weeks in August to take my mum with me to go on some viewings. I'm looking for a gated property with 4 to 5 bedrooms + land, a proper country house basically. I think a classic exotic would fit in well alongside a mid-range daily driver (used Jag XJ or Range Rover). What classic exotic would be reasonable to maintain? Are 512s expensive to keep on the road?

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

They are not the most reliable machines. Best is, during your free time, pay a visit to Hexagon Motors in South Ken. Explain them you're into something in a GBP100k budget at most, and looking into something reliable from the end 60s-70s. Do not necessarily buy anything from them. When you got some knowledge on the matter, visit shops in the Queen's Gate Place Mews (it is a long-ass name I reckon).

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

Thanks Pav, will do that next time I'm around South Ken. A bit too out of the way from the City and Canary Wharf to make a special trip.

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

At 3AM on a saturday night it is not. In November when we were exhibiting at ExCel, I even managed to do a South Ken - Stratford (we had a room at this Olympic Hotel complex thing) route by bus. biggrin.gif

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

That is quite the achievement, how long did it take you? I remember doing something like a Edgware Road to Canary Wharf at 2am, never really took buses before and ended up just across the river from Canary Wharf with no bridge in sight. Ended up having to call and wait for a cab. Having lived in London you probably know what self contained communities the City and the Wharf can be. You know it's funny a lot of the people I went to uni with ended up either in the City or Canary Wharf. It's like a big reunion, just everyones working for different banks.

Benzoboy
  • Benzoboy

Like Ronnyboy, but better.

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

I've always wondered why some cars with automatic gearboxes have throttle pedals that 'click' into place when on full throttle, does anybody know?

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:03 AM

I have never driven a car with a throttle pedal that "clicks" into place. Although, I'll admit I haven't really driven that many different vehicles. What vehicles are you talking about?

JayC
  • JayC

WWJCD

• Feroci Racing

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (Benzoboy @ Wednesday, May 29 2013, 22:25)
I've always wondered why some cars with automatic gearboxes have throttle pedals that 'click' into place when on full throttle, does anybody know?

You might be talking about a kickdown switch which downshifts when full throttle is activated.

Benzoboy
  • Benzoboy

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Is that all it is?

@carlover325, I've seen it on various new VWs and loads of BMWs and a few others too

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Quit driving automatics and forever remain blind to this whole clicking accelerator pedal phenomenon. cool.gif

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

All my cars are autos yet I've never experienced this clicking phenomenon you speak of.

Benzoboy
  • Benzoboy

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Thursday, May 30 2013, 21:34)
Quit driving automatics and forever remain blind to this whole clicking accelerator pedal phenomenon. cool.gif

lol, I work at a VW dealership so I'm often delivering/filling up/moving customer cars and sales cars, some of which do happen to be automatic

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

Hustler

• Members

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

I do sometimes miss having my manual transmission. But I live in a city with lots of traffic and stop lights, which can make shifting somewhat cumbersome. I guess I've become spoiled by my automatic, lol.

My step dad did just buy a manual 1996 Chevy S10, but I don't really see myself driving it. Especially since it has an ignition interlock device because of his previous DUI.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

The one thing automatics have that I would like is cruise control. Motorway driving gets tedious pretty fast when you have to hold the pedal in a constant position for 4 hours straight.

I am aware some manuals have it in some form, but it's hardly widespread (plus I'd imagine such a system is quite clunky in practice).

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

You sex me up, baby!

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

Automatics deliver absolutely no driving pleasure. It's A-B thinking

Chris CJ Jakobsson
  • Chris CJ Jakobsson

Homie

• Members

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

I haveto admit i been spoiled to with automatics.. would be nice with a manual for once smile.gif

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:35 AM Edited by Carlover325, 01 June 2013 - 02:43 AM.

QUOTE (epoxi @ Friday, May 31 2013, 14:55)
The one thing automatics have that I would like is cruise control. Motorway driving gets tedious pretty fast when you have to hold the pedal in a constant position for 4 hours straight.

I am aware some manuals have it in some form, but it's hardly widespread (plus I'd imagine such a system is quite clunky in practice).

The cruise control in my sister's old Z24 Cavalier, which had a manual, worked basically the same as an automatic system. All it does is control the throttle, which doesn't require any additional input for a manual vs. an automatic. I know, at least in the US, it can be kind of hard to find a manual with cruise control because many times the manual is only available in the bottom-spec models, with the exception of higher-end cars (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc.) .

At the moment, my Jeep doesn't have cruise control and it's an automatic. The parts are all currently in the mail, except the clock spring, which has already arrived. So in the next couple of weeks, I will have factory cruise control.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:16 AM Edited by Lurch, 01 June 2013 - 03:16 AM.

My 5 speed BMW has cruise, but it doesn't work. It appears the cable needs adjustment. All the newer big trucks I've driven (9's, 10's, and 13 speed manuals) all had cruise as well. And they all worked fine.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

I've never trusted cruise control, it just feels strange when the car is maintaining speed without driver input. I've done plenty of long drives (7+ hrs) and I can safely say my right foot is as good a cruise control as any.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

I would've liked cruise for my drive from California to South Carolina and the return trip a year later. Also, in South Carolina, I had to drive through little towns that had cops who were speed nazis and would pull you over for going 4mph over the speed limit. Cruise helps keep them from lighting you up.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Hellhound Warpig

• United-Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

I detest conventional cruise control. In the past I've actually purposefully bought cars on which it either isn't a ticked option, or is broken. However I did get a chance to drive a Volvo S60 with radar-guided cruise control and that was thoroughly impressive.

rader1
  • rader1

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Friday, May 31 2013, 16:55)

I have cruise control in my 135i and it's a 6MT. I don't use it much though.

rader1
  • rader1

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Benzoboy @ Wednesday, May 29 2013, 17:25)

It's a kickdown switch. It forces the trans to downshift under certain conditions like WOT at a low RPM.

How it works on the newer BMWs is like this:
The pedal will go WOT and then you "push" through and hit the kickdown switch, although it doesn't take much effort and most people don't realize there is a stop before the switch. Even when you don't "force" a downshift the TCM will command one on it's own if your revs are too low. It makes datalogging/road tuning and dyno tuning kind of a pain in the ass because it's hard to start from 2.5Krpms in 4th and not get a downshift. Most of the time you have to start a pull at ~2Krpms and slowly give it gas until you can hit WOT. I've tuned a few AT cars and it's definitely not as easy as the MTs... yet another reason to never own an automatic trans.

Chris CJ Jakobsson
  • Chris CJ Jakobsson

Homie

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

So, tomorow im going for a roadtrip, to look at this car! biggrin.gif
user posted image

Jupp another BMW, smile.gifa 525i to be specific, 1991, so its one year younger then my 750IAL, and Manual thumbs up for this one! biggrin.gif icon14.gif

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

All my cruise control parts arrived, so I decided to install it. Took less than an hour and works great!

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (Chris CJ Jakobsson @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 17:48)
So, tomorow im going for a roadtrip, to look at this car! biggrin.gif
user posted image

Jupp another BMW, smile.gifa 525i to be specific, 1991, so its one year younger then my 750IAL, and Manual thumbs up for this one! biggrin.gif icon14.gif

Would a 91 be an M20 or a non-VANOS M50? I've driven a non-VANOS M50 525i e34 (with a 5 speed) and it wasn't too bad. Not as fast as my 535i though but not horrible by any means.

Chris CJ Jakobsson
  • Chris CJ Jakobsson

Homie

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:17 AM

Lurch, i gotta say, i dont know confused.gif keep in mind i wasn't a BMW-guy untill i had my 750. (BMW after 2004 can blow me tho LOL)

anyway it will look quite nice next to the 750

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 08:31)
I did get a chance to drive a Volvo S60 with radar-guided cruise control and that was thoroughly impressive.

I've always wanted to try that, it looks really appealing. Does it work in stop/start traffic too?

(I bet it does, but they just disable it because "you're supposed to be paying attention" in slow traffic)

zyonig
  • zyonig

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

QUOTE (Outcast)
I've never trusted cruise control, it just feels strange when the car is maintaining speed without driver input. I've done plenty of long drives (7+ hrs) and I can safely say my right foot is as good a cruise control as any.

+1
I am not comfortable with cruise control engaged, for me it just not a good thing. My foot controls the speed, not a switch.

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 22:02)
That is quite the achievement, how long did it take you? I remember doing something like a Edgware Road to Canary Wharf at 2am, never really took buses before and ended up just across the river from Canary Wharf with no bridge in sight. Ended up having to call and wait for a cab. Having lived in London you probably know what self contained communities the City and the Wharf can be. You know it's funny a lot of the people I went to uni with ended up either in the City or Canary Wharf. It's like a big reunion, just everyones working for different banks.

oh snap, forgot about this one. Honestly I don‘t remember, at all. On the other side at some point it was quite common for me to do long walks, like south ken to camden for ex. I also did a couple of time Aldgate - Kentish Town walks at around 4am, apparently the area behind Kings Cross is quite dodgy (cops stopping me and telling me to hide my expensive camera as there is a group of youngsters sitting a few yards up the road at 4am), but I never had issues. City is quite ok, they are more open to outside people, as in most cases dudes live all over London, Canary is really self contained, as many people live like 15 minutes from their offices.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users