Atomax
  • Atomax

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Apr 11 2007, 07:44)
QUOTE (Atomax @ Apr 11 2007, 03:13)
Niko is close to russian name Nikita, Roman is also russian name

My first thought was that Niko might be a short for Nikolai - a common Orthodox name.

u dont even expected, how many men with the name Nikolai are in Russia
that is not an "Orthodox" name wink.gif

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE (Atomax @ Apr 11 2007, 04:03)

Russia is and has been for a very long time Orthodox. Almost all of the names in Russia are Orthodox.

In case you actually know Russian, to make it clear, in this context Orthodox means "Православный".

Atomax
  • Atomax

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Apr 11 2007, 08:11)
QUOTE (Atomax @ Apr 11 2007, 04:03)

Russia is and has been for a very long time Orthodox. Almost all of the names in Russia are Orthodox.

In case you actually know Russian, to make it clear, in this context Orthodox means "".

The word "" is moustly religious, so I would not use it in a relation to names smile.gif
but, anyway, it is an offtop already, I suppose smile.gif

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:28 AM

Considering the fact that people in Russia were named almost exclusively after Orthodox Christian saints for a few centuries, right up until the revolution, I think using a religious term for the origin of the names is warranted.

Atomax
  • Atomax

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Apr 11 2007, 08:28)
Considering the fact that people in Russia were named almost exclusively after Orthodox Christian saints for a few centuries, right up until the revolution, I think using a religious term for the origin of the names is warranted.

ooo, you were about that...
now I get it smile.gif

Claude GTA3
  • Claude GTA3

I am awesome.

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:40 AM

I think its great that he's Croatian,cuz so am I,but there is no smuggling in our country,CROATIA IS NOT IN BALKAN ITS MEDITERRANEAN

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Claude GTA3 @ Apr 11 2007, 05:40)
I think its great that he's Croatian,cuz so am I,but there is no smuggling in our country,CROATIA IS NOT IN BALKAN ITS MEDITERRANEAN

Balkans are in the Mediterranean, and so Croatia is both. Here is a map for you. The highlighted region is Balkans.
user posted image

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (Claude GTA3 @ Apr 11 2007, 19:10)
CROATIA IS NOT IN BALKAN ITS MEDITERRANEAN

Can't it be both?

I mean, it has shorelines on the Mediterranean sea, but it can also be part of the Balkans.

Ye?

Edit: @K^2: I was about to post that too tounge.gif

pocho
  • pocho

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

parts of Croatia are on Balkan peninsula, in international relaltions we are partly considered as Balkan country, as well as Mediterrian. historically, some time Croatia was part of Middle European states (with Austria, Italy, Hungary), and later was incorporated in East European context (Yugoslavia, actually few of them... biggrin.gif ).

so, all you people are right, please dont argue over politics, because it is not important to the Game.

TenaciousD.
  • TenaciousD.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:40 PM

I like the name actually, its different to any other and original.

PlatinumSerb
  • PlatinumSerb

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Apr 11 2007, 06:43)
QUOTE (PlatinumSerb @ Apr 11 2007, 01:38)
Actually it would end up being more of a "ich" sound - Bell-ich. Kinda like Darko Milicić or George Voinovich. The "k" sound only appears in most foreign countries that use the Latin alphabet, because most forms of the Latin alphabet don't have the "ć "(ch)..

Sounds reasonable. Is it formed from the root meaning "White", or is it some other root?

Yes the root word does appear to be from White.

Serbian-White = Bela - Kinda like Belgrade(capital city), but in Serbian it would be Beograd.

Croatian-White = Bijela - Kinda like Bjelina(town).

Mister V
  • Mister V

Farseer

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:43 PM Edited by Mister V, 11 April 2007 - 01:48 PM.

The name would've been more real if it had one "L". Niko Belic. Ok, I might be splittin' hairs tounge2.gif But it would look and sound a little more real. About hte pronunciation - I agree, if you'd write it, it'd probably be this C (clicky).

Whoever said that Croatia isn't part of the Balkans - wow.gif wow, I don't have anything to say.

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

The Yardies

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Most Valuable Player 2014
    Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:03 PM

Niko is a name mostly used in Croatia since in Serbia normaly used names are Milan,Aleksandar,Ivan and similar.And why somebody says his name is Nico ? his name is Niko.Nico and Niko are tottaly different names.And besides Rockstar said the caracter is EAstern European.They didnt precise a nationallity.So he could be eather a croat a serb macedonian bosnian or slovenian nationalitty since his surname finishes with IC and most surnames from former Yougoslav Countries finishes on Ic as well as mine.
Similar names to Niko in Serbia is Nikola.And i'm pretty shoure that at least 1 caracter in the game is going to say his name suck and call.l him Nick.I personally like the name,but what confuses me is his Surname.Bellic.Whats with the double L??in eastern europe there's nobody who has a doubled letter in his name/surname

AndySerb walks confused out of the building he was at...

TheRealTommyVercetti
  • TheRealTommyVercetti

TheRealTommyVercetti

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:23 PM Edited by TheRealTommyVercetti, 11 April 2007 - 02:33 PM.

Not likely to be Russian Why?......

Name Translatiion from Croatian/Serbian to English

Niko - MEANING - no body OR no one

Bellic - Bell OR Bjel - MEANING - white

ic - Most if not all people with "ic" at end of name are generally Croatian/Serbian or from surrounding Countries

Additionally.... his accent in the video is clearly from someone who came from Croata/Serbia i know cause i have the same accent !!

ALSO......last names with "ic" are not traditionally russian..event though it has been commonly expressed so in the movies.

gta_iv_woop
  • gta_iv_woop

I don't know why you cannot say sh*t or anything like that o

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

stop argueing over where he is from and just acept the fact he is from EASTERN EUROPE. that is what rockstar (people who are making GTA IV) said.

algenon_iii
  • algenon_iii

C*

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Jayzamann @ Apr 11 2007, 09:49)
QUOTE (Claude GTA3 @ Apr 11 2007, 19:10)
CROATIA IS NOT IN BALKAN ITS MEDITERRANEAN

Can't it be both?

I mean, it has shorelines on the Mediterranean sea, but it can also be part of the Balkans.

Ye?

Edit: @K^2: I was about to post that too tounge.gif

There was me thinking Croatia's shoreline was on the Adriatic Sea viddy_pirate.gif tounge.gif

Sina84
  • Sina84

Street Cat

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

Could be that not even Rockstar knows exactly where he's from, just like they didn't know exactly how old Tommy Vercetti was.

He's "Eastern European", Tommy's "in his mid-30's." Just the old leaving it to the imagination deal.

Altough, I could definately see his exact home being mentioned in the game given the story - If your hometown "buddies" come to Liberty to look you up - as is hinted - it would seem pretty hard to avoid mentioning a country.

But anyway, I doubt the details of his name has anything to do with where he's from. Could just be a cool sounding Russian-ish name. And to answer the Topic: Ya, I'm digging the name lol.gif

Goterelli657
  • Goterelli657

The Don

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Sina84 @ Apr 11 2007, 15:18)
Could be that not even Rockstar knows exactly where he's from, just like they didn't know exactly how old Tommy Vercetti was.

He's "Eastern European", Tommy's "in his mid-30's." Just the old leaving it to the imagination deal.

Altough, I could definately see his exact home being mentioned in the game given the story - If your hometown "buddies" come to Liberty to look you up - as is hinted - it would seem pretty hard to avoid mentioning a country.

But anyway, I doubt the details of his name has anything to do with where he's from. Could just be a cool sounding Russian-ish name. And to answer the Topic: Ya, I'm digging the name lol.gif

tommy was 36 it says that in the stratgey guide. i'm likeing the name. all that we really know so far is that he looks european and that hes not from america. (also some other interesting triva) so what ever happens in this game i'm thinking theres gonna be some russian mob bosses.

albo23
  • albo23

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

I'm thinking he's a serb also. I'm a montenegrin but my uncles a serb and his first name is Niko.

GTAIV Dude
  • GTAIV Dude

This member is dead until further notice. (22 Oct. 08.)

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

The protagonist better not be a serb, massmurderers dont fit good into GTA games rahkstar2.gif

sikserb
  • sikserb

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

Personally, when i first saw the teaser, i straight up thought he'd be Russian or Ukranian, basically because thats where i thought gta would move to, and because his accent didnt sound anything Jugo. He sounded nothing like our accent, and now it turns out he kinda has a Jugo last name which is crazy. I only joked around when i thought about him being from somewhere in the balkans, and now it turns out there is a good possibility hes Serb.

I think hes a serb, purely because im one myself and id love for him to be, so there that goes, but also because crows would have bijelic, whilst serbs spell it belic. What doesnt make sense is the double l. Belic is never spelt with a double l. Ne mam poima. Either rockstar didnt research up enough, or they jus dont care.

Ide rockstar, stavi nesto bijelo dugme u igritzu lol...

Josh--O
  • Josh--O

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:54 PM

Niko Bellic.. has a ring to it don't you think. But tbh hearing an american say it in Liberty City won't sound nearly as cool as it sounds in my mind. No effence Americans smile.gif

sikserb
  • sikserb

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (GTAIV Dude @ Apr 11 2007, 16:43)
The protagonist better not be a serb, massmurderers dont fit good into GTA games  rahkstar2.gif

go get f*cked dumb c*nt, go eat the f*cking dirt. the f*ck do you know?

jebem ti mater u picko cunj jedan

Black-hawk
  • Black-hawk

Boss

• The Connection

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

You know insulting someone in your native language, while the offendee is not capable of understanding you due to a language barrier makes you an asshole?

I could insult you in Lithuanian or Russian, but would you understand it? No. So it just looks stupid when someone's swearing in some unknown language to me. However being civil about it will actually make you appear more mature.

MaHe
  • MaHe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

I think it's definitely a Yugoslavian name (not Slovene, for that matter, though).
Native English speakers pronounce user posted image
as ck (just watched Peacemaker yesterday tounge.gif ), while it should actually be pronounced as ch (charge).
Also, double-L isn't even used in any Slavic language (as a single L does the job fine), so I suspect it's just there for native English-speakers for easier pronunciation. But Niko and Roman don't really fit together. Sure, we also have Romans and Nikos in Slovenia too, but they are not really that common.

Anyhow, it's pretty interesting for me.
A slang word for a street-criminal of Montenegro or Serbian origins is čefur (but really any street criminal or bully is called that - it's pronounced chefoor). Quite incidentally, the 'GTA genre' became known as 'chefooryada', which means 'The Čefur Game'. Now, the character will literally fit in with the genre. tounge2.gif

GTAIV Dude
  • GTAIV Dude

This member is dead until further notice. (22 Oct. 08.)

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (sikserb @ Apr 11 2007, 16:56)
The protagonist better not be a serb, massmurderers dont fit good into GTA games rahkstar2.gif

Haha,gimme a break man..The whole world knows what you did some years ago in balkan rahkstar2.gif

And btw go f*ck YOUR mother yawn.gif

HERDIST
  • HERDIST

Brave New World

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:04 PM

Bellic sounds like Bell-lich

Belli smile.gif

sikserb
  • sikserb

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

Really? That makes me more mature sounding? Too bad cause i dont give a f*ck.

He said something bad bout my country, so im not jus gonna reply all constructively, cause thats not how go about such matter when its got to do wit my hometown.

Really couldnt care less for your wiseman tips bro, take that somewhere else.

MaHe
  • MaHe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

Maybe you should calm yourself. I can't stand nationalism. anuj_cop.gif icon13.gif

sikserb
  • sikserb

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (GTAIV Dude @ Apr 11 2007, 17:04)
QUOTE (sikserb @ Apr 11 2007, 16:56)

Haha,gimme a break man..The whole world knows what you did some years ago in balkan rahkstar2.gif

And btw go f*ck YOUR mother yawn.gif

And you'd know what happened in the balkans how? Keep readin your f*cking gaurdian and keep watching your stupid bbc or cnn or whatever cause your as educated on the subject as a 2 yr old would know his maths.

Please leave your stupid insults out of a completely neutral thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users