Quantcast

» «
Photo

Mapping Liberty City (Laying Out Liberty City)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1,725 replies to this topic
dronezero
  • dronezero

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:12 AM

Nothing really new in this photo. Just an east facing view from Times Square.
user posted image
2 = Conde Nast Building
4 = ABC Studios
8 = Unknown Building

This next image though does confirm that you were right Tibatonk. From the position of the Trump building here we can be sure that the building that was in the sun from the closing shot of the trailer was not the Trump Building, and was actually the Woolworth Building.
user posted image
35 = 1 New York Plaza
34 = Unknown Building
33 = Unknown Building
20 = Trump Building

padmoi
  • padmoi

hayer plater

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (dronezero @ Apr 12 2007, 01:12)
This next image though does confirm that you were right Tibatonk. From the position of the Trump building here we can be sure that the building that was in the sun from the closing shot of the trailer was not the Trump Building, and was actually the Woolworth Building.

never doubt the great tibatonk.

just when i thought you guys had hit a pinultimate brick wall....

geomy
  • geomy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:33 AM

penultimate. and i think you were looking for "proverbial."

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (The Wanderer @ Apr 11 2007, 10:13)
Now that we know there will be 5 area's (and presumably 4/5 islands) to the new LC map, does anyone fancy having a crack at rigiing up a possible layout?

If I were to do it (I'm useless with stuff like this!) I'd suggest using the original GTA map as the guide....

TW

Given the named boroughs in the Game Informer article and the fact that the portion of New Jersey that makes sense to be there is the part across the river from Manhattan (eastern Hudson and Bergen Counties), the GTA4 map may as well be laid out like reality. This is my guess about the maximum area that could be represented:
user posted image
(original map)
The magazine says the "scale" of the game won't be much different than San Andreas. If so, the GTA4 islands will be scaled way down because the real-life map would be over 25 times the San Andreas map. However, if they were doing Manhattan only, that (and nothing else) could fit almost life-size on a San Andreas-sized map. The fact that Manhattan is obviously simplified hints at a lot of the game map being used for the other boroughs.

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:11 AM

Updated map:

user posted image

user posted image

IceCreamMan
  • IceCreamMan

Chicago

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:33 AM

Great work you all did fantastic jobs, I know this is off topic but in the mag where there any signs of housing projects ?

Wheelman

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:43 AM

Damn you guys have done a great job on the map. it'd be good to see if it really turned out like this.

Warcheif
  • Warcheif

Flash = $20 a Pop.

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Apr 12 2007, 03:04)
Now that we know there will be 5 area's (and presumably 4/5 islands) to the new LC map, does anyone fancy having a crack at rigiing up a possible layout?

If I were to do it (I'm useless with stuff like this!) I'd suggest using the original GTA map as the guide....

TW

Given the named boroughs in the Game Informer article and the fact that the portion of New Jersey that makes sense to be there is the part across the river from Manhattan (eastern Hudson and Bergen Counties), the GTA4 map may as well be laid out like reality. This is my guess about the maximum area that could be represented:
user posted image
(original map)
The magazine says the "scale" of the game won't be much different than San Andreas. If so, the GTA4 islands will be scaled way down because the real-life map would be over 25 times the San Andreas map. However, if they were doing Manhattan only, that (and nothing else) could fit almost life-size on a San Andreas-sized map. The fact that Manhattan is obviously simplified hints at a lot of the game map being used for the other boroughs.

I've been said this. icon14.gif

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:06 AM

Wow, this is just...

...amazing. You need more karma. cookie.gif Keep it up guys; I'm looking forward to compare the results.

Warmaster
  • Warmaster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

Whow! Great job, i realy wonder how big the map turnes out. cool.gif

The Wanderer
  • The Wanderer

Wheres he gone?

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Apr 12 2007, 03:04)

TW

user posted image
(original map)

That would look great. If you remove Long Island and the Eastern portion of Dukes, then turn it so its North South I think we would have a realistic map.

That would be awesome. I would put the tester down that if you went as far east as you could and couldn't see the skyline then the map would be of a good size.

TW

The Wanderer
  • The Wanderer

Wheres he gone?

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:23 AM Edited by The Wanderer, 12 April 2007 - 10:28 AM.

For example:

user posted image

Unfortunately I dont have the ability or know how to rotate it, but its a start I hope?

TW

vicecitymayor
  • vicecitymayor

AKA dombrfc

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (The Wanderer @ Apr 12 2007, 11:23)
For example:

user posted image

Unfortunately I dont have the ability or know how to rotate it, but its a start I hope?

TW

liking it. still think algonquin needs to be abit wider, as manhattan is proably gonna the 'main area'

ExtermelySmartMan
  • ExtermelySmartMan

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:19 AM Edited by ExtermelySmartMan, 12 April 2007 - 11:21 AM.

QUOTE (vicecitymayor @ Apr 12 2007, 10:36)
QUOTE (The Wanderer @ Apr 12 2007, 11:23)
For example:

image got bulldozed

TW

liking it. still think algonquin needs to be abit wider, as manhattan is proably gonna the 'main area'

Kinda like this?

user posted image

Just a quick stretch-up.

jimjams91
  • jimjams91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

wow.gif Looking at Tibatonk's map, that would mean that central park is directly north of his map tounge.gif

vicecitymayor
  • vicecitymayor

AKA dombrfc

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:30 PM Edited by vicecitymayor, 13 April 2007 - 07:45 AM.

Heres my attempt! - Update! Apologies in advance!

user posted image

I think its looks really good as a thumbnail, but enlarge it and it becomes ugly! Feel free to edit it, or the base map:

user posted image

White Flight
  • White Flight

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I hope the new Liberty City will have a nice freeway system which will make it easier to get around and provide the ability for some speed. tounge.gif

vicecitymayor
  • vicecitymayor

AKA dombrfc

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (White Flight @ Apr 12 2007, 17:43)
Maybe slightly off-topic, but I hope the new Liberty City will have a nice freeway system which will make it easier to get around and provide the ability for some speed. tounge.gif

im not so sure it will to be honest.

jimjams91
  • jimjams91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:44 PM Edited by jimjams91, 12 April 2007 - 05:52 PM.

QUOTE (White Flight @ Apr 12 2007, 16:43)

confused.gif No I'm almost certain they won't. And it doesn't need one anyway. It's just ONE city, and it's already got bridges and they are similar to a freeway system. And if you don't want to use your car there is always:
>Ferries
>Subway system
>Raised train system biggrin.gif

White Flight
  • White Flight

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (jimjams91 @ Apr 12 2007, 19:44)

No I'm alomost certain they won't. And it doesn't need one anyway. It's just ONE city, and it's already got bridge and they are similar to a freeway system. And if you don't want to use your car there is always:
>Ferries
>Subway system
>Raised train system

Well this Liberty City is big (compared to other cities at least) and many single-city games have a freeway system... Think SA filled with houses and streets but no freeways! sad.gif

ExtermelySmartMan
  • ExtermelySmartMan

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (jimjams91 @ Apr 12 2007, 17:44)

confused.gif No I'm almost certain they won't. And it doesn't need one anyway. It's just ONE city, and it's already got bridges and they are similar to a freeway system. And if you don't want to use your car there is always:
>Ferries
>Subway system
>Raised train system biggrin.gif

But a bridge goes over a river or something, a freeway goes from place to an other, more distant place.

Helsinki
  • Helsinki

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (White Flight @ Apr 12 2007, 17:54)
QUOTE (jimjams91 @ Apr 12 2007, 19:44)

No I'm alomost certain they won't. And it doesn't need one anyway. It's just ONE city, and it's already got bridge and they are similar to a freeway system. And if you don't want to use your car there is always:
>Ferries
>Subway system
>Raised train system

Well this Liberty City is big (compared to other cities at least) and many single-city games have a freeway system... Think SA filled with houses and streets but no freeways! sad.gif

Maybe there's some kind of a beltway. I'll be very, very, very disappointed if all we get is streets.

Although the game would probably still rock, so hey...

jimjams91
  • jimjams91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:36 PM Edited by jimjams91, 12 April 2007 - 06:42 PM.

[QUOTE=Helsinki,Apr 12 2007, 18:08] [QUOTE=White Flight,Apr 12 2007, 16:43]
Maybe there's some kind of a beltway. I'll be very, very, very disappointed if all we get is streets.

Although the game would probably still rock, so hey...[/QUOTE]
I think that all the transport systems REAL life NYC has will be in LIBERTY CITY, and we already know that GTA4 will feature:
>FERRIES
>CAR BRIDGES
>RAIL BRIDGES
And there probably is:
>SUBWAY SYSTEM

White Flight
  • White Flight

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (jimjams91 @ Apr 12 2007, 20:36)
[QUOTE=Helsinki,Apr 12 2007, 18:08] [QUOTE=White Flight,Apr 12 2007, 16:43]

Although the game would probably still rock, so hey...[/QUOTE]
I think that all the transport systems REAL life NYC has will be in LIBERTY CITY, and we already know that GTA4 will feature:
>FERRIES
>CAR BRIDGES
>RAIL BRIDGES
And there probably is:
>SUBWAY SYSTEM

You are aware that there's freeways in NYC, aren't you?

jimjams91
  • jimjams91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:26 AM Edited by jimjams91, 13 April 2007 - 12:54 AM.

QUOTE (White Flight @ Apr 12 2007, 18:54)

Yes I am, but I was wondering whether R* would put them in Liberty City as they aren't really the MAIN modes of transportation in NYC. I seems to me that NYC is mostly associated with its TAXIS, SUSPENSION bridges, TRAINS and its SUBWAY SYSTEM. But on the other hand there are PARKWAYS which almost certainly will be in the game as they are the main roads of the city, and are needed to get from one side of the city to the other in a car quickly. And it is meant to be an almost identical replica of NYC, so maybe there will be a freeway system as long as it keep within the city or ALDERNEY.

SI MoViE StAr
  • SI MoViE StAr

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (jimjams91 @ Apr 13 2007, 00:26)
QUOTE (White Flight @ Apr 12 2007, 18:54)

Yes I am, but I was wondering whether R* would put them in Liberty City as they aren't really the MAIN modes of transportation in NYC. I seems to me that NYC is mostly associated with its TAXIS, SUSPENSION bridges, TRAINS and its SUBWAY SYSTEM. But on the other hand there are PARKWAYS which almost certainly will be in the game as they are the main roads of the city, and are needed to get from one side of the city to the other in a car quickly. And it is meant to be an almost identical replica of NYC, so maybe there will be a freeway system as long as it keep within the city or ALDERNEY.

I don't know what NYC your talking about but it's certainly not the one I and everyone else knows. NYC is by a large dependent on their overcapacitized highways.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Etherealmist
  • Etherealmist

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:50 AM

^^

NYC has freeways just like any other city. But is by far the least car-oriented city in the nation. Only about half of New Yorkers own a car.

Anyway... Since this game is replicating a large part of the metro area I have no doubt there will be plenty of freeways

geomy
  • geomy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:53 AM

Yes, hopefully plenty of cars filling all those freeways, too!

Etherealmist
  • Etherealmist

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:55 AM

Also a subway system would be really cool, I never thought of that before.

Although it would be more or less a novelty assuming you can just hijack a car anytime you want.

Unless there is major gridlock like in real life Manhattan and cars arent as useful!

swimfreak430
  • swimfreak430

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:08 AM

you kidding NYC must have the some of worst Traffic in the country

just because theres alot of other modes of transportation some of witch like the subways knowbody relises how big some of them are you can walk at leat a mile under the the streets near times square and port athority.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users