Quantcast

» «
Photo

Mapping Liberty City (Laying Out Liberty City)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1,725 replies to this topic
adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:31 AM Edited by adamcs, 08 April 2007 - 03:37 AM.

Indeed, very impressive work. icon14.gif

#20 definitely looks like the Trump Building to me. (edit: it's also in this shot)

DeadMan_Inc
  • DeadMan_Inc

The Phenom

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:39 AM Edited by DeadMan_Inc, 08 April 2007 - 04:05 AM.

Great work Tibatonk. I can't seem to spot any major problems with your layout according to the trailer, other than what you've already pointed out. Only minor building alignements.

cookie.gif 's for you.

Edit: #20 is most definately the Trump building, rather than the Wooloworth

Trump Building
Woolworth Building

And if you look hard enough you can tell that #32 is infact One Financial Square, and not Continental Center.

One Financial Square
Continental Center

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:16 AM

Yes, I thought they were the Trump Building and 1 Financial Square, as well.
I just wasn't completely sure. Thanks.

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:12 AM Edited by Tibatonk, 08 April 2007 - 09:50 AM.

More buildings:

Ernst & Young

user posted image

55 Water Street ? Probably the right one, I guess.

user posted image

W New York?

user posted image

Mister V
  • Mister V

Farseer

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

Dude, you rock icon14.gif

I'm sure that we'll see something very close to what you'll come up with finally. Maybe with the help of upcoming screenshots/info we'll be able to guess the whole map...

dronezero
  • dronezero

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (Tibatonk @ Apr 8 2007, 06:12)
55 Water Street ? Probably the right one, I guess.

user posted image

You're doing a great job. I think the above is 2 New York Plaza though. The reason I think this is because the building in the trailer is apparently much shorter than 1 New York Plaza. 55 Water Street in real life is actually taller than 1 New York Plaza so if it is the building in the game they have shrunk it down considerably. I don't think they would do this because all of the buildings that have been seen so far appear to be fairly accurately sized.

2 New York Plaza can be seen below (the smallest highrise in the photo) is the correct size proportionally to 1 New York Plaza and is also directly north of the building just like in the trailer.

user posted image

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:20 PM Edited by Tibatonk, 08 April 2007 - 01:23 PM.

Thanks dronezero. You're right the size of 55 Water Street doesn't ift.
What confuses me a bit about the three downtown buildings is that they are getting increasingly small from left to right and there isn't really any such sequence in downtown New York.

user posted image

The one to the left is definitely One New York Plaza.

Looking at your picture of Two New York Plaza, I think you're right, it's in there. However, I believe it's looking more like the right building (the one you can see better through Brooklyn Bridge in the right picture).

Now, that would mean that they have put some building in between One and Two New York Plaza, but since some of the buildings in Midtown aren't in their real order either, I think that's entirely possible.

As for the middle one, could it be the Goldman Sachs Building?

user posted image

dronezero
  • dronezero

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:00 PM Edited by dronezero, 08 April 2007 - 03:24 PM.

QUOTE (Tibatonk @ Apr 8 2007, 13:20)
As for the middle one, could it be the Goldman Sachs Building?

user posted image

Hmm, this is a tough one. The Goldman Sachs Building doesn't work too well from a height perspective. It is 60 feet shorter than 2 New York Plaza.

I took a look at all of the buildings in the Financial District that would fit height wise between 1 and 2 New York Plaza, but the only building that seemed to come even close to looking correct was the new Seven World Trade Center, and that is on the wrong side of the island as well as only looking marginally similar.

push
  • push

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:12 PM

wonder if the gameinformer of may will show a map, or partialy show it.
that would be awsome

Mister V
  • Mister V

Farseer

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

Maps appeared with about two months to go to the release date, so...I guess it won't happen. The best we can expect is a written description, like "it seems there are three imajor areas, and we spotted some countryside in-between" (what was written for SA).

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:37 PM

I've updated the Downtown part of the map, taking Shot 14 of the trailer into account.

user posted image

I'm not particularly happy with the result, but it's the best I was able to come up with given that there are only two shots of the Downtown area.

Shot 5
Shot 8
Shot 10
Shot 11
Shot 12
Shot 13
Shot 14
Shot 16
Shot 17
Shot 23

I'm not entirely sure the buildings labeled as #20 in shots 14 & 23 are actually the same. They seem to be in a different position in relation to buildings #32 & 33. But maybe it's just a matter of perspective.

Also, does anybody know of any Downtown building with a glass dome? (the one in shot 14)

adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Tibatonk @ Apr 8 2007, 17:37)
Also, does anybody know of any Downtown building with a glass dome? (the one in shot 14)

There was a big debate about this a few days ago: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=272257

The glass dome itself is based on something in Cleveland, or so it appears. There are a few similar structures in New York that are mentioned in that thread though..

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

1270 Avenue of the Americas (Rockefeller Center)

user posted image

Gershwin Apartments

user posted image

Whitehall Building

user posted image

First Precinct NYPD?

user posted image

Federal Reserve Bank of New York?

user posted image

Also, based on it's position in downtown Manhattan I think the building with the glass dome is indeed the Alexander Hamilton United States Custom House with the glass dome from Cleveland thrown in for added visuals.

The Wanderer
  • The Wanderer

Wheres he gone?

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

Woah!

Go away for a few days, come back and shabba! Good work sunshine, keep it going...

TW

RockstarFan
  • RockstarFan

The Mean Bean

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

Awesome dude!
good eye you got there!
Compared to you I'm blind tounge.gif

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:26 PM

Reposting from another topic, since it makes sense here.

user posted image

#1 highlights the cable car assembly on the 59th St Bridge

#2 shows they've moved it to the Manhattan Bridge

Not numbered, but obvious, is that they've put an island underneath the bridge which isn't really there. Most likely Roosevelt Island, since it has the cable cars.

*edit- And...

user posted image

#1 Circled buildings look sorta the same.

#2 Sea walls are similar, though the damn truck keeps getting in the way...

GTA_FAN_00
  • GTA_FAN_00

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:08 AM Edited by GTA_FAN_00, 09 April 2007 - 03:44 AM.

Hi!

First time poster.

Anywho, wanted to throw my two cents in as to the LC map, particularly this thought:

Let's not forget that the game is in development, and we might possibly be seeing only a fraction of the completed cityscape and buildings. I think it might be possible that Liberty City's Lower Manhattan, Midtown, and outer boroughs are not even completed yet.

Cases in point:

If you look at second 16 and 48, "Lower Manhattan" seems somewhat void of buildings. Any person who knows NYC knows that the area is a building hub. There could be a Wall St., World Financial Center, World Trade Center, and Battery Park / Battery Park City that is still unseen. Does anyone know if these buildings could be at least partially concealed by draw distance?

From Ottae: user posted image

And...

user posted image
user posted image

If you look at the Times Sq. scenes, the area is rich with buildings. I think that if the Hearst Tower made it, there could also be a Citicorp Center, Rockefeller Center, United Nations Complex, Time Warner Center, and even a Javitts Center and MSG?

From DeadMan_Inc user posted image

And...

user posted image
user posted image

Bear in mind that GTA3 had the Donald Love tower, and Vice City had its own version; so it's a good possibility that there will be a Trump Tower spoof as well.

Judging by the rails, we can probably expect a comprehensive subway system also.

I guess it all comes down to the size of the maps and the amount of buildings and building space put into it and that can be put into it.

- A GTA fan.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:16 AM

Dude, you are probably the best member, ever.

20-odd posts and a karma star.

Dude I love you, in a totally non-gay way. inlove.gif

Paeron
  • Paeron

Hobo

• Members

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:30 AM

Well. I mocked up a little picture on my lunch break at work just to get some sort of idea on what size of map we are looking at.
I took Tibatonk's map and scaled it down so it would match the SA-map (The little blue area on the map.). And I am assuming the map-size will be at least that of the SA-map. And I made the image 2 times the size of the SA-map as that is what alot of people think the map size will be. I also included a scaled down version of the LC map from GTA 3 for comparison.
Mind you that the scales are somewhat haphazard and are not very accurate, but it gives a nice glimpse of what to expect.
user posted image
Click for larger image.

What do you think?

ExtermelySmartMan
  • ExtermelySmartMan

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Paeron @ Apr 10 2007, 11:30)
Well. I mocked up a little picture on my lunch break at work just to get some sort of idea on what size of map we are looking at.
I took Tibatonk's map and scaled it down so it would match the SA-map (The little blue area on the map.). And I am assuming the map-size will be at least that of the SA-map. And I made the image 2 times the size of the SA-map as that is what alot of people think the map size will be. I also included a scaled down version of the LC map from GTA 3 for comparison.
Mind you that the scales are somewhat haphazard and are not very accurate, but it gives a nice glimpse of what to expect.

Click for larger image.

What do you think?

I don't like pears.

BoneZ.NY
  • BoneZ.NY

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

wow.gif wow the trailer is sooo acurate which measn that the city might be that way too tounge2.gif I CANT WAITT!!!

masser120
  • masser120

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

Holy sh*t! That really rocks dude!

Only the fact that you can actually lay out the map of Liberty City, by looking at the trailer images!

Timmons55
  • Timmons55

Peon

• Members

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:47 AM

Guys this is awesome!!! Keep up the brilliant work and we may have the map before rockstar give us it, its looking very accurate with the evidence from the trailer!! KEEP IT UP!!! biggrin.gif

ExtermelySmartMan
  • ExtermelySmartMan

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

Yes. Keep it up and we'll have a square mile of map in no time. monocle.gif

The Wanderer
  • The Wanderer

Wheres he gone?

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

Now that we know there will be 5 area's (and presumably 4/5 islands) to the new LC map, does anyone fancy having a crack at rigiing up a possible layout?

If I were to do it (I'm useless with stuff like this!) I'd suggest using the original GTA map as the guide....

TW

dronezero
  • dronezero

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:18 PM

Well we've got some more pictures to work with. I found the pictures that may be useful:
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

I also started identifying buildings on one of the pictures. There are some new buildings. Also it seems that the Hearst Tower is missing from this view. It should be visible, but I don't see it.

user posted image
42 = 3 World Financial Center (possibly 2 World Financial Center)
43 = Wolworth Building
44 = Municipal Building

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

Great job on the Downtown buildings, dronezero.

The Hearst Tower might be the somewhat lighter structure in front of the Viacom Building. Although it's hard to tell if that even is a seperate building.

As for the two buildings to the left of the picture, I believe those could be the Trump International Tower to the left, and the other one might be the Time Warner Center although with only one tower instead of two.

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:34 PM

Time Warner Center (minus one tower)

user posted image

Trump International Tower

user posted image

SI MoViE StAr
  • SI MoViE StAr

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

Well since there's only Liberty City in this one, that means no planes or commuter rail so I'm hoping that they'll at least put in some depth to the subway/elevated system then...including possibly "stealing" them. Rockstar is located in NYC and I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard..

Here's the real map...
http://subway.umka.o...ps/new-york.gif

Rown
  • Rown

He who fights monsters

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:22 AM

I want Metrocards... and a mini-game where you make money by effectively scalping them. Because buying metrocards from scalpers is fun and family friendly.

I really hope the tram over the bridge is fun...

Rown rampage_ani.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users