Quantcast

» «
Photo

Mapping Liberty City (Laying Out Liberty City)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1,725 replies to this topic
GTAIVCORNERHUSTLER
  • GTAIVCORNERHUSTLER

Big Time Dope Dealer.

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (ethrion @ Apr 4 2007, 06:25)
QUOTE (G MONEY $$$ @ Apr 4 2007, 12:53)
user posted image

There ya go. There's the new map. Done.

I reckon it'll be something similar too. Only larger and more accurate still.

p.s. Man it was fun jumping that broken bridge on the bike. Hey that reminds me: the bridge was broken in GTA3 too. Can't believe I didnt spot that similarity til now! suicidal.gif

p.p.s And I also only just realised that the old map is sort of divided into 3 zones and obviously GTA3 was. Plus the middle island in GTA3 was the financial district, just like it is in the old map. Damn why am I noticing that GTA and GTA3 have more similarities than I previously thought only now! confused.gif

p.p.p.s. Makes me want to go and play a bit of the original GTA for old times sake. (The PC version of course!)

Take a look at this Map. Island City is Manhattan, The Brocklyn Area is Brooklyn, Kings is Queens, The Brix is The Bronx. The only borough left out is Staten Island, but know need to worry, because R* will add an extra one. Now look to the far left. Hackenslash is Hackensack, Guernsey City is Jersey City, Fort Law is Fort Lee, Island Heights is Washington Heights, and Eagle Wood is Englewood. Now New Guernsey is New Jersey. But not all of New Jersey will be added maybe just Hudson, Bergen, Essex, and Union, or may be even a large portion of Northern NJ. Now when it comes to NYC, all 5 Boroughs would be added. Seriously look at the map, this is NYC and NJ on a small scale, but since this is Gta IV imagine it on a Grand Scale. You Get The Point? Also another possible factor is that, a very small portion of southern NY State could b used as well, like Rockland and Westchester. And possibly Nassau County. Here is a damn good reason why I think GTA IV, will be set in NYC, Southern NY State, and Northern NJ. The southern tip of New York StateŚNew York City, its suburbs including Long Island, the southern portion of lower Hudson Valley, and most of northern New JerseyŚcan be considered to form the central core of a "megalopolis," a super-city. Now in The original Grand theft Auto, don't you think, this is what they were aiming for? And with the technology we have now, this is the perfect damn reason why we will be seeing this map again. But it will be 1000 x's bigger and better. All the scenes we have seen from the trailer, looks like NYC, and all the stuff in the city are just props from the old GTA's. This trailer could have been released, to give you a hint, that an Old GTA Map will be used that is very similar to NY, and NJ. The only thing that is missing is The Southern counties of NY State, and Staten Island. These are the only two things that has gots to be added to give you a bigger better, GTA IV. I do believe that this is what Rockstar Games will be aiming for.

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:31 AM

Hmm, i've seen this http://img87.imagesh...r22lightlg4.jpg

There's the Chrysler if im not wrong... At the top of the left on the pic...

The Wanderer
  • The Wanderer

Wheres he gone?

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:56 AM Edited by The Wanderer, 04 April 2007 - 10:59 AM.

QUOTE (gtaivcornerhustler @ Apr 4 2007, 09:20)
QUOTE (ethrion @ Apr 4 2007, 06:25)
QUOTE (G MONEY $$$ @ Apr 4 2007, 12:53)
user posted image

There ya go. There's the new map. Done.

I reckon it'll be something similar too. Only larger and more accurate still.

p.s. Man it was fun jumping that broken bridge on the bike. Hey that reminds me: the bridge was broken in GTA3 too. Can't believe I didnt spot that similarity til now! suicidal.gif

p.p.s And I also only just realised that the old map is sort of divided into 3 zones and obviously GTA3 was. Plus the middle island in GTA3 was the financial district, just like it is in the old map. Damn why am I noticing that GTA and GTA3 have more similarities than I previously thought only now! confused.gif

p.p.p.s. Makes me want to go and play a bit of the original GTA for old times sake. (The PC version of course!)

Take a look at this Map. Island City is Manhattan, The Brocklyn Area is Brooklyn, Kings is Queens, The Brix is The Bronx. The only borough left out is Staten Island, but know need to worry, because R* will add an extra one. Now look to the far left. Hackenslash is Hackensack, Guernsey City is Jersey City, Fort Law is Fort Lee, Island Heights is Washington Heights, and Eagle Wood is Englewood. Now New Guernsey is New Jersey. But not all of New Jersey will be added maybe just Hudson, Bergen, Essex, and Union, or may be even a large portion of Northern NJ. Now when it comes to NYC, all 5 Boroughs would be added. Seriously look at the map, this is NYC and NJ on a small scale, but since this is Gta IV imagine it on a Grand Scale. You Get The Point? Also another possible factor is that, a very small portion of southern NY State could b used as well, like Rockland and Westchester. And possibly Nassau County. Here is a damn good reason why I think GTA IV, will be set in NYC, Southern NY State, and Northern NJ. The southern tip of New York StateŚNew York City, its suburbs including Long Island, the southern portion of lower Hudson Valley, and most of northern New JerseyŚcan be considered to form the central core of a "megalopolis," a super-city. Now in The original Grand theft Auto, don't you think, this is what they were aiming for? And with the technology we have now, this is the perfect damn reason why we will be seeing this map again. But it will be 1000 x's bigger and better. All the scenes we have seen from the trailer, looks like NYC, and all the stuff in the city are just props from the old GTA's. This trailer could have been released, to give you a hint, that an Old GTA Map will be used that is very similar to NY, and NJ. The only thing that is missing is The Southern counties of NY State, and Staten Island. These are the only two things that has gots to be added to give you a bigger better, GTA IV. I do believe that this is what Rockstar Games will be aiming for.

Everything of what he said! Why would R* go backwards? Bigger, better, more accurate it nakes sense. R* know what was successful from all 3 previous 3D GTA's (most from SA), like the flying function both chopper and planes, the bikes, the open scenary areas etc. Why change a winning formula if not to add to it???

QUOTE (MasterK @ Apr 4 2007, 10:31)
Hmm, i've seen this http://img87.imagesh...r22lightlg4.jpg

There's the Chrysler if im not wrong... At the top of the left on the pic...

I agree. Alot of people seem to think that this view from the Platypus is from the third island (relative to the original map) but I would say it is looking toward the business district (middle island) from the Brooklyn type area (1st island). In the final shot, you can see the Platypus as he walks over the Brooklyn bridge and the position of the Chyrsler you pointed out cements that theory!

TW

The Wanderer
  • The Wanderer

Wheres he gone?

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:27 PM Edited by The Wanderer, 04 April 2007 - 01:30 PM.

Another thing worth noting is that the on the shot of the screamer, the car is driving beneath the overhead railway. This implies that the screamer is most likely on the 'Brooklyn/Queens' styled island not too disimilar to coney island in the real NYC.

Not too many visible clues left I dont think.

TW

nealmac
  • nealmac

Low lie, the fields of Anfield Road

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:38 PM

In all honsety, it's hard to lay out LC just by what we have seen in the trailer alone. There may be loads of stuff in that trailer that we won't get to see "in-game". I for one, am not holding my breath. I'd rather not assume too much, so as to avoid disappointment.

dronezero
  • dronezero

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:03 PM

I made a crude map of where all the recognizable buildings are in relation to one another. Don't pay too much attention to the streets, I more or less just used them as spacing.

user posted image

View 1
View 2
View 3
View 4
View 5
View 6
View 7
View 8
View 9
View 10
View 11

A=The Conde Nast Building
B=Chrysler Building
C=The Times Tower
E=Empire State Building
F=MetLife Building (Getalife Building)
G=Unknown Building 1
H=Unknown Building 2
I=1500 Broadway
K=Helmsley Building
L=Flatiron Building
M=Trump Tower
N=Continental Center
O=1 New York Plaza
P=2 New York Plaza
Q=1 Financial Square
R=Morgan Stanley Building
S=Crowne Plaza Hotel
T=Loosely based on the Viacom Building (the Liberteen Building)

nealmac
  • nealmac

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:12 PM Edited by nealmac, 04 April 2007 - 04:16 PM.

Nice bit of work. I haven't been to NY since last year so my memories of some of the landmark locations are a bit foggy. Just to clarify, is Madison Ave. the same as 5th Ave? I'm 99% certain it is, but I do remember that building "E" (Empire State Building) was near my hotel. It was on the corner off 44th St. and 5th Ave.

So according to your map it's way off. Good work though. Sorry for being picky.

dronezero
  • dronezero

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (nealmac @ Apr 4 2007, 16:12)
Nice bit of work. I haven't been to NY since last year so my memories of some of the landmark locations are a bit foggy. Just to clarify, is Madison Ave. the same as 5th Ave? I'm 99% certain it is, but I do remember that building "E" (Empire State Building) was near my hotel. It was on the corner off 44th St. and 5th Ave.

So according to your map it's way off. Good work though. Sorry for being picky.

The street names on my map don't mean anything. I just took a map and plotted out the locations of all the real world buildings then moved the bits around until the buildings were placed like in the trailer.

Actually I think I am going to edit out the street names.

nealmac
  • nealmac

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

Fair enough. Yeah that would be a good idea. Might lead to less confusion.

I hope that rockstar does a "True Crime" method towards what street your on. That would be useful.

DominicStanford
  • DominicStanford

Player Hater

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:24 PM

Does anyone besides me think that Rockstar folks must be amazed at this? Has anyone EVER dissected a trailer, for crying out loud? I've never seen this much interest in my life, in anything, ever!!! I think that this is great, actually. The amount of brain power that is being exercised in trying to discern landmarks and locations is just unbelievable.

smile.gif

I'm really curious to see what Rockstar will say about all of this when the proverbial smoke clears, and we all see what they really have done. It will be interesting, to say the least.

- DS

nealmac
  • nealmac

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:29 PM

I've thought about it too. And I'm also amazed at the finds that folk are making. I'd love to see some of rockstars comments to all these threads.

Kernel32
  • Kernel32

New World Order

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:50 PM

i want a official rockstar user smile.gif

AleX AciD
  • AleX AciD

Toxicated

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

Map posted here is NOT a GTA4 map, it's "possible locations of some trailer scenes on GTA3 map". sly.gif

This is my version of GTA4 map: cool.gif
user posted image

The Wanderer
  • The Wanderer

Wheres he gone?

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (AleX AciD @ Apr 4 2007, 20:44)
Map posted here is NOT a GTA4 map, it's "possible locations of some trailer scenes on GTA3 map".  sly.gif

This is my version of GTA4 map: cool.gif
user posted image

That's a good map!

If you compare it to the real thing it would be fair to expect that the diagonal street crosses the Vertical street continuously. That would allow for Times Sq to be created at the resulting angle opposite to the Flatiron.

TW

AleX AciD
  • AleX AciD

Toxicated

• Members

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:13 PM

Update:
user posted image

I don't understand which shape have 'G' building. dontgetit.gif
It's shown on these shots:
user posted image user posted image user posted image

And is similar to this building:
http://maps.google.c...003681,0.007231

Jimpy
  • Jimpy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

Anyone find evidence of alleyways?

DeadMan_Inc
  • DeadMan_Inc

The Phenom

• Members

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:56 PM Edited by DeadMan_Inc, 05 April 2007 - 10:59 PM.

QUOTE (AleX AciD @ Apr 5 2007, 17:13)
Update:
user posted image

I don't understand which shape have 'G' building.  dontgetit.gif
It's shown on these shots:
user posted image user posted image user posted image

And is similar to this building:
http://maps.google.c...003681,0.007231

Great job Alex. Except I'm pretty sure theres another road on the other side of Flatiron that has the L on it.

Edit: Also, I'm fairly sure that the building to the right of the letter "G" has a more square shape judging by the images.

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:22 AM Edited by Tibatonk, 08 April 2007 - 12:46 AM.

Alex AciD pointed out a mistake in my map so I'm taking it down for now.
A new one will be posted later.

Etherealmist
  • Etherealmist

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:38 AM Edited by Etherealmist, 07 April 2007 - 04:48 AM.

Are they going to combine Midtown and Downtown I wonder?

And didnt a Spiderman game recreate Manhattan before?

Nice bit of work. I haven't been to NY since last year so my memories of some of the landmark locations are a bit foggy. Just to clarify, is Madison Ave. the same as 5th Ave?

No, they're not the same. It goes 2nd ave, 3rd ave, Park, Madison, Fifth, Sixth etc.

brucewayne909
  • brucewayne909

Thug

• Members

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:44 AM

Wow I could never sit there and come up with the maps you guys have created. Good job everyone! cookie.gif

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:23 PM

Some comparisons:

Times Square Tower

user posted image

Bertelsmann Buidling

user posted image

Doubletree Guest Suites

user posted image

The Crowne Plaza

user posted image

1 New York Plaza

user posted image

More to come

BoneZ.NY
  • BoneZ.NY

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:26 PM

good find have a cookie.gif with proof of all these real life buildings im more than possitive that r* will try there best and make a replica of nyc. those who dont belive me just wait till october 4th.

AleX AciD
  • AleX AciD

Toxicated

• Members

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Tibatonk @ Apr 7 2007, 07:22)
Here is my try at mapping out Liberty City.

It's a very good map!

But I have one question:
is it a same billboard or two different?
user posted image

padmoi
  • padmoi

hayer plater

• Members

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:51 PM

tibatonk is my random hero for the day, how?.... just how!!!

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:54 PM Edited by Tibatonk, 08 April 2007 - 12:45 AM.

QUOTE (AleX AciD @ Apr 7 2007, 23:17)
QUOTE (Tibatonk @ Apr 7 2007, 07:22)
Here is my try at mapping out Liberty City.

It's a very good map!

But I have one question:
is it a same billboard or two different?
user posted image

Yeah, I guess I missed that, which means the map is actually not all that good, since the whole Times Square area is messed up a bit. It also means that the Liberteen between actually IS the Viacom Building from another angle I guess.

Thanks, I'll redo the map.

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:49 AM

Some more buildings:

Morgan Stanley Building

user posted image

Viacom Building

user posted image

Paramount Building

user posted image

Marriott Marquis Hotel

user posted image

JLarkin
  • JLarkin

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:05 AM

Holy crap, Tibatonk, you're on a roll! Keep up the good work.

White Flight
  • White Flight

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:37 AM

Dinner's ready, Tibatonk. breadfish_by_Moto.gif

And now the dessert:
user posted image

I hope it tastes good though tounge2.gif

Tibatonk
  • Tibatonk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:16 AM Edited by Tibatonk, 12 April 2007 - 03:16 AM.

Now here is my second try on a map of Liberty City.
Thanks to Alex AciD again for pointing out a major mistake in the first one.

user posted image

Some pictures with reference numbers:

Shot 5
Shot 8
Shot 10
Shot 11
Shot 12
Shot 13
Shot 16
Shot 17
Shot 23

Now, Building #20 could also be the Woolworth Building instead of the Trump Building and Building #32 could also be the Continental Center insted of One Financial Square. I'll post some pictures later.

St. Patrick's Cathedral is probably somewhere north of the Chrysler building and east of Times Square.

Queensboro Bridge is to the east or northeast of Times Square.

Liberties taken in creating Liberty City:

-In real life the tip of the Flatiron Building is facing north and not south as in the trailer, also it would be a little bit further south of Times Square
-In New York there are more than 30 streets between the Empire State Building and Brooklyn Bridge, in Liberty City there seem to be three or four. This seems to leave little space for areas like Greenwich Village, Tribeca, Little Italy and Chinatown.
-Some of the building like the Empire State Building (should be east of Broadway), the Hearst Tower (should be further north) and the Chrysler building (should be a bit southeast of the MetLife Building) don't seem to be in quite the right place, but these differences are minor.

racso562
  • racso562

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:25 AM

WOW!!! awesome work!!! icon14.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users