Quantcast

» «
Photo

Mapping Liberty City (Laying Out Liberty City)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1,725 replies to this topic
adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (Helsinki @ Apr 2 2007, 14:43)
Now, let's just get back on topic, everyone.

Has anyone figured out yet which real-life church, if any, the one in the trailer is based on? I looked through some Manhattan churches, but didn't find a match. Some similarities, though.

St. Patrick's Cathedral icon14.gif

Nirvana 4 Life
  • Nirvana 4 Life

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (Helsinki @ Apr 2 2007, 13:43)
@Nirvana 4 Life & Ethicon: your first day/week here, and you're trying to get yourselves banned with that homophobic crap... Nice going.

Has anyone figured out yet which real-life church, if any, the one in the trailer is based on? I looked through some Manhattan churches, but didn't find a match. Some similarities, though.

Yea I'm sorry I've liked Gtagaming.com better.

Nirvana 4 Life
  • Nirvana 4 Life

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (adamcs @ Apr 2 2007, 13:48)

BINGO!!!! Now whats that building behind it?

adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

I'm playing around with Live Local at the moment to try and find out. It's difficult though, there's a lot of high buildings surrounding it. mad.gif

http://local.live.co...0&scene=1650392

It's close to the MetLife building...

Helsinki
  • Helsinki

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

Yes, they have some similar ornaments, but...
user posted imageuser posted image
...I wouldn't say it's the same building. I mean, you might as well say it's based on the Westminster Abbey: tounge.gif

user posted image

Nirvana 4 Life
  • Nirvana 4 Life

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (adamcs @ Apr 2 2007, 13:58)
I'm playing around with Live Local at the moment to try and find out. It's difficult though, there's a lot of high buildings surrounding it. mad.gif

http://local.live.co...0&scene=1650392

It's close to the MetLife building...

If you find out what the building is behind it, it will help to plot the trailer map.

adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:20 PM

@Helsinki

lol, it might be loosely based, but it *is* definitely based on St. Patrick's Cathedral. The bit above the door is exactly the same - same window pattern, same arch etc.

Helsinki
  • Helsinki

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (adamcs @ Apr 2 2007, 14:20)
@Helsinki

lol, it might be loosely based, but it *is* definitely based on St. Patrick's Cathedral. The bit above the door is exactly the same - same window pattern, same arch etc.

Yeah, I was thinking, maybe they don't want to make the Catholics mad by making an exact replica of their beloved cathedral. I mean, they don't even have a cross on top.

j_mac
  • j_mac

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (Helsinki @ Apr 2 2007, 14:24)
QUOTE (adamcs @ Apr 2 2007, 14:20)
@Helsinki

lol, it might be loosely based, but it *is* definitely based on St. Patrick's Cathedral.  The bit above the door is exactly the same - same window pattern, same arch etc.

Yeah, I was thinking, maybe they don't want to make the Catholics mad by making an exact replica of their beloved cathedral. I mean, they don't even have a cross on top.

Like r* give a sh*t about the chatholics hahah

germinals
  • germinals

your mum has better online play.

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

http://files2.gtanet..._trailer_22.jpg

shows the Chrysler Building on the far left, could give a different perspective esp if the dock is there in rl.

DeadMan_Inc
  • DeadMan_Inc

The Phenom

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:49 PM

I made a comparision between the J and G buildings. At first, I compared it to "A" and J and G appear almost the same height. However, in the comparison below you can see that they are not the same.

The sides marked "1" are sides that point in the same direction (based on positioning compared to buildings in the same shot). You can see that the two areas I pointed out on G are not present in J. Also, on G there is a big difference in tone between two touching rows of windows than on J.

user posted image

I'm gonna try and make a rough map of the "Mahattan" coastline for GTA4 and try to position these buildings with "Street 1" as best as I can.

dronezero
  • dronezero

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (DeadMan_Inc)
The sides marked "1" are sides that point in the same direction (based on positioning compared to buildings in the same shot). You can see that the two areas I pointed out on G are not present in J. Also, on G there is a big difference in tone between two touching rows of windows than on J.

Actually I think you have the sides mixed up the two sides that you have marked as "1" are across from each other. Notice that in the Flatiron pic that building I is on the far side of J/G, but in the Metlife pic it is on the near side.

shunsuke
  • shunsuke

AKA, Masatooo !

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (Helsinki @ Apr 2 2007, 14:16)

...I wouldn't say it's the same building. I mean, you might as well say it's based on the Westminster Abbey: tounge.gif

user posted image

I would go with the St Patrick's Cathedral. It Could be a simplified version of it.

Also, there's no building in the background of the Westminster abbey while they are on St Patrick's. They look alike tho.

Roger89
  • Roger89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:08 PM

I think the rollercoaster will be based on coney island's astroland amusement park with it being in Brooklyn. But then again, Wtf do I know?

nealmac
  • nealmac

Low lie, the fields of Anfield Road

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

My attempt at mapping out the new LC

DeadMan_Inc
  • DeadMan_Inc

The Phenom

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:18 PM Edited by DeadMan_Inc, 02 April 2007 - 04:37 PM.

I found out that the "I" in the GetaLife shot, and the "I" in the Flatiron shot are not the same building. In the GetaLife shot, you can see that the GetaLife building is directly North of I in that shot, but in the Flatiron shot, theres an unknown building and then the Flatiron directly North. There is no way that the GetaLife building can be far off to the side in the the Flatiron shot if both "I's" are the same.

Edit: Too many buildings look alike (in any GTA). Its almost impossile to accurately position these buildings according to what we see in thre video. It was a great idea, but it's almost impossible.

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (shunsuke @ Apr 2 2007, 10:06)
QUOTE (Helsinki @ Apr 2 2007, 14:16)

user posted image

I would go with the St Patrick's Cathedral. It Could be a simplified version of it.

Also, there's no building in the background of the Westminster abbey while they are on St Patrick's. They look alike tho.

Well, since I was one of the first people if not the first person to start calling the building St.Patricks Cathedral, I would have to guess, that it is one of NYC's famous churches, but I called it St.Patricks Cathedral because it is the most famous one in NYC. There are plenty others that have similar looks in NYC. I have been looking through Flickr and even from my own memory and I had a feeling it may be The Church of the Blessed Sacrament Official site Flickr. I am trying my best to figure this out since I am a New Yorker.

Helsinki
  • Helsinki

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (DeadMan_Inc @ Apr 2 2007, 16:18)
Edit: Too many buildings look alike (in any GTA). Its almost impossile to accurately position these buildings according to what we see in thre video. It was a great idea, but it's almost impossible.

That may have been a case with the previous generation of GTAs, but from what we've seen, buildings are more detailed now. Also, we've been looking at specific, notable buildings (skyscrapers), not some generic ghetto homes.

padmoi
  • padmoi

hayer plater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Helsinki @ Apr 2 2007, 18:18)
QUOTE (DeadMan_Inc @ Apr 2 2007, 16:18)

That may have been a case with the previous generation of GTAs, but from what we've seen, buildings are more detailed now. Also, we've been looking at specific, notable buildings (skyscrapers), not some generic ghetto homes.

amen to that.

tmac9wr
  • tmac9wr

Peon

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (IceCreamMan @ Apr 1 2007, 23:31)
RON?!? Is this a type of name brand clothing in GTAIV maybe so. Notice the guy in the white t-shirt it says "Ron"

user posted image

Notice the building says "Ron" this could be a type of brand in GTAIV they already have Zip, Aris Running Shoes , BoBo The Ape etc.

user posted image

The first pic here reminds me of the rowhouses located right across from the Hospital in Portland...it looks like to the right where the road would usually come down with the El-Train hanging above has been changed into a park-like area with trees (that is if I'm thinking of the correct area)....does anyone else think the two areas look similar?

Galactic
  • Galactic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:13 PM Edited by Galactic, 02 April 2007 - 08:16 PM.

You're all talking about real life comparisons about Liberty City and New York...but hey, I don't think that's the answer to correctly lay out a map.

One of the known cities in GTA 4 is Liberty City -- NOT New York. It's important that we know this, and keep this in mind. Liberty City's most actual version is the one from GTA 3 (with some details from Liberty City Stories). So, with this version in mind, I made a map, with GTA3's Liberty City as a point of reference.

http://img394.images...ymapgta4wd2.jpg

If you can't understand the images, try downloading the image and zooming in.

And please note that all of that locations are suppositions based on the trailer and on GTA3's Liberty City.

LordSabman
  • LordSabman

Underlord of Dark Wisdom

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

I can't wait to fly a Hydra between all these beautyful skyscrapers. looks like there is some good base jumping to be had.

Helsinki
  • Helsinki

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Galactic @ Apr 2 2007, 20:13)
You're all talking about real life comparisons about Liberty City and New York...but hey, I don't think that's the answer to correctly lay out a map.

The way I see it, the maps in this thread are based on the locations of the buildings in relation to each other (= how they're seen in the trailer), regardless of where their real-life counterparts are in NYC. Although, the two seem to go hand in hand.

Ja750
  • Ja750

Five

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:14 AM

ok, I have read through this topic and seen what building's people have found so i decided to put together this image.

user posted image

No idea if it will have any use to you tho tounge.gif

Please say if i have missed any, Thanks

Ja750

jshell
  • jshell

(*336*)

• Members

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:21 AM

i hope they dont clone any of the old lc's models that would f-cked up

steveb07
  • steveb07

StevE

• Members

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE (Galactic @ Apr 2 2007, 20:13)

One of the known cities in GTA 4 is Liberty City -- NOT New York. It's important that we know this, and keep this in mind. Liberty City's most actual version is the one from GTA 3 (with some details from Liberty City Stories). So, with this version in mind, I made a map, with GTA3's Liberty City as a point of reference.

http://img394.images...ymapgta4wd2.jpg

If you can't understand the images, try downloading the image and zooming in.

And please note that all of that locations are suppositions based on the trailer and on GTA3's Liberty City.

I have to agree with this guy...Why? Just compare old GTA III map with NYC and you will be socked by the similarities So my bet is to start from that tounge.gif I am sure that LC in GTA IV is just a remake of LC in GTA III. Ofc with additional neighborhoods, country side maybe. Just my 2 cents thou!

Scryypy
  • Scryypy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:30 AM

Putting the church North West of the MetLife building:

http://designerpad.o...aiv_church1.jpg
http://designerpad.o...aiv_church2.jpg
http://designerpad.o...aiv_church3.jpg

Crazy82
  • Crazy82

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:00 AM

Hi ppl,
All i can say the c300 is the only car ill want to drive,
no matter what we think of the map will look like all we can say is that R* is the best at keeping ppl waiting and talking, good to read all your idea's but cant wait to get GTA IV

gggg
  • gggg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:58 AM

Just compare old GTA III map with NYC and you will be socked by the similarities So my bet is to start from that

They look nothing like each other.

http://130.166.124.2/atlas.nyc/ny0.GIF
http://www.gtapsp.co...ps/overview.jpg

Nothing in the trailor says it's a remake of Liberty City either, it's just New York.

Natedogg.
  • Natedogg.

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE (gggg @ Apr 3 2007, 00:58)
Just compare old GTA III map with NYC and you will be socked by the similarities So my bet is to start from that

They look nothing like each other.

http://130.166.124.2/atlas.nyc/ny0.GIF
http://www.gtapsp.co...ps/overview.jpg

Nothing in the trailor says it's a remake of Liberty City either, it's just New York.

Nothing? but there is subtle hints that point in that direction.

•Police car that says "LCPD."
•Liberteen.
•"Liberty City" on the back of the ship.
•Downtown Staunton Island, docks, and flat iron building.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users