Quantcast

» «
Photo

Mapping Liberty City (Laying Out Liberty City)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1,725 replies to this topic
White Flight
  • White Flight

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:41 PM

Notice the building says "Ron" this could be a type of brand in GTAIV they already have Zip, Aris Running Shoes , BoBo The Ape etc.

** Eris, and Pogo The Monkey wink.gif

But yeah, RON could be a brand in IV. tounge.gif

Mokiesmoky
  • Mokiesmoky

Finally Famous

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (IceCreamMan @ Apr 1 2007, 23:31)
RON?!? Is this a type of name brand clothing in GTAIV maybe so. Notice the guy in the white t-shirt it says "Ron"

*PIC*

Notice the building says "Ron" this could be a type of brand in GTAIV they already have Zip, Aris Running Shoes , BoBo The Ape etc.
*PIC*

Never noticed that before sigh.gif

*goes off to bake cookies

DeadMan_Inc
  • DeadMan_Inc

The Phenom

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:06 AM Edited by DeadMan_Inc, 02 April 2007 - 12:47 AM.

I've taken the time to add some lettering to the buildings in some of the screenshots in order to better assess which buildings are in what areas.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Legend for Repeating Buildings

A=Building that was suspected to be under construction, but is not.
B=Chrysler Building
C=Main building in Times Square
D=LCPD
E=Empire State Building
F=GetaLife
G=Unknown Building 1
H=Building with the "Sprunk" ad in Times Square
I=Unknown Building 2 which is the closest repeating building in the "Ad Intersection" shot
J=Possible the same building shown on the very left of the "flatiron" shot?
"Not H"=I added this to get a better perspective of "H" in the "Times Square" shot

The following is describing the location of each building, compared to "Street 1", which is what I will call the street you are looking down in the "Ad Intersection" shot as well as nearby locations. For the purpose of clarity, I will consider the shot showing "Times Square" as pointing south, and thusly each compass direction will take this into consideration when comparing two buildings.
  • C and H are both in close proximity in "Times Square", which is on the south end of Street 1 when it appears to split.
  • H is East of C, and slightly North
  • A is directly between C and I which all appear along Street 1
  • A is also on the West side of Street 1
  • B is West of Street 1 and also directly West of building A
  • Liberteen is almost directly East of A and Street 1, and also directly North of H
  • C and D no NOT share the same building as some have suspected, since the street layouts are different. Therefore I must assume that the LCPD shown is either not in Times Square, or might be at the other end of Times Square.
  • E is East of Street 1, and North East of A
  • G is East of Street 1, and North East of A and also between A and E but slightly to the West
  • F is West of Street 1 and slightly South of G
  • If J (if both J's are in fact the same) is along Street 1 on the East side, North East of I, and immediately North of the building that as the "Liberty Tree" ad.
I believe I am fairly accurate with these positions. Someone can use these positions to make a more accurate map, pointing out where each of these buildings are.

Edit: I forgot the add the Flatiron building. But it seems as if "I" is directly between "A" and the Flatiron building, with another building between a and I, and another between I and the Flatiron. Also, there looks like a large gap between I and the building between I and flatiron. This might be series of smaller buildings you can see North of I in the "Ad Intersection" shot. Therefore the Flatiron is more Northbound on Street 1, on the west side of Street 1.

Edit2: I added the flatiron shot with the correct building references. Any missing shots most likely don't include any buildings from these shots.

IceCreamMan
  • IceCreamMan

Chicago

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:08 AM

Cookies for you cookie.gif cookie.gif

nlitement
  • nlitement

Pare mou mia pipa

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:53 AM

user posted image

DeadMan_Inc
  • DeadMan_Inc

The Phenom

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:16 AM Edited by DeadMan_Inc, 02 April 2007 - 01:26 AM.

It seems I forgot the most obvious 2 shots. From this shot the only building I seem to recognize from the other shots I showed is the Empire State building. And if you look at this other shot (notice the camera has turned about 135 degrees to the right) you can see the Chrysler building. When you go back to my previous post and check the position of the Chrysler building in relation to the Empire State building, the bulk of the buildings and areas I examined is in the second shot, most of them being even further to the right. So this means that this "Manhattan-esque" island starts in the first shot and bends and continues into the second shot. This makes the "Manhattan-esque" island quite large. If "Coney Island" and the suburban areas (Brooklyn as well as the other Burroughs) are on a different island than this Manhattan, I would say that Liberty City is very large.

Edit: Off-topic: I just noticed that in the shot with "Liberteen", you can see at the very end of that street that the map is clearly unfinished. Either that or GTA4 is still having some problems with draw distance

Hope
  • Hope

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:34 AM

I've been noticing the connection between all the buildings and stuff shown in the trailer too. It's really nice they did that. Makes the trailer more cohesive and less foreign. Anyway, amazing topic! I love this kind of stuff, like mapping out the cities in GTA.

xxkeelingxx
  • xxkeelingxx

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:08 AM

Deadman, it seems as if the pic with the building marked with J? is actually the G builing. Look at it closely. It is hard to tell because of the angle, but I'm pretty sure. I could be wrong though. By the way good freakin job peeps. cool.gif

DeadMan_Inc
  • DeadMan_Inc

The Phenom

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:19 AM Edited by DeadMan_Inc, 02 April 2007 - 02:24 AM.

I don't think J is the same as G. The top of J as a horizonal Edge, while G has a 45% edge. Also, J as a lot taller than G. G is very close to I, and I is far away from J. I still strongly believe that J is actually the building I marked as J in the Ad Intersection shot. (The one at the very far bottom left, with the newspapers)

vcPINK
  • vcPINK

Like the Hat?

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:05 AM

The gray building on the right appears to have the same exterior of the Conde Nast building (A):
http://img99.imagesh.../shot12bou0.jpg
http://img99.imagesh...3/shot5bxn5.jpg

so there might be another clue to the geography of the city

limbfilter
  • limbfilter

Thug

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:27 AM

Aren't G and E the same building?
user posted image
It sure seems like it to me...They seem connected...

Mokiesmoky
  • Mokiesmoky

Finally Famous

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:45 AM

cookies to all!!! cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Great job guys icon14.gif

Bret_HartvsSting
  • Bret_HartvsSting

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:46 AM

Good job, I never identified that many buildings. cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

Great topic, Its cool to get an idea about how big LC is gonna be, and thats awesome that thestreets all have names inlove.gif

ethrion
  • ethrion

III < SA < VC < IV

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:04 AM

This is a great topic! icon14.gif Good luck with mapping it out. I just hope that the end result is a good quality map. Please please please dont just knock something out in MS paint! lolz tounge2.gif

p.s. You deserve some stars for this when its completed!

dronezero
  • dronezero

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:19 AM

I took Deadman's idea (because it's was a great idea) and labeled the buildings to help visualize the layout. This is what I came up with.

I've left the letters for the same buildings that Deadman had and just added on some other ones.

Liberteen
Empire State Building
Flatiron Building
MetLife Building
Stock Ticker-I'm not sure about this one.
Times Square Close
Times Square Far
Glass Ceiling
From Brooklyn Bridge
Skyline

A=Building that was suspected to be under construction, but is not.
B=Chrysler Building
C=The Times Tower
D=LCPD
E=Empire State Building
F=GetaLife
G=Unknown Building 1
H=Building with the "Sprunk" ad in Times Square
I=Unknown Building 2 which is the closest repeating building in the "Ad Intersection" shot
J=Possible the same building shown on the very left of the "flatiron" shot?
K=Helmsley Building
L=Flatiron Building
M=Unknown Pointy Building
N=Unknown Building 2
O=Unknown Building 3
P=Unknown Building 4
Q=Unknow Building 5
R=Stock Ticker Building

QUOTE (DeadMan_Inc)
I don't think J is the same as G. The top of J as a horizonal Edge, while G has a 45% edge. Also, J as a lot taller than G. G is very close to I, and I is far away from J. I still strongly believe that J is actually the building I marked as J in the Ad Intersection shot. (The one at the very far bottom left, with the newspapers)
I think that J and G are the same. G would only need to have the 45 degree edge on two sides with the other two being horizontal. Also if J is much taller than G should we be able to see J in the shot that has the Empire State Building in the foreground.

gta4man
  • gta4man

>>^StraXi^<<

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:47 AM

yeh icecreamman def has a point about RON being a brand...not only can you see the name the same but the buiilding has the same white drop in a red square background...

and yeh awesome topic!!!!

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:55 AM

This is really good. One of the best topics I have ever viewed. Well done icon14.gif .

Ottae
  • Ottae

Zoom-Zoom

• Zaibatsu
  • Niue
  • Best Official Gang 2015 [Zaibatsu]

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:08 AM

I had a quick look and he's my (small) analysis:

The 4 Time Square building might appear below as well:
user posted image

Quick look at how things look from the other side.
user posted image

Lost-Fender
  • Lost-Fender

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:13 AM

Not so bad for noobs newbs. tounge.gif Good job, with this information we can build a map of GTAIV's Liberty City any time soon. With this we could make a "preview" of how Liberty City will look in its IV redention. Nice job, good eye there, overall excellent! icon14.gif

SBizz6
  • SBizz6

old school

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

Yea this is going great by the looks of it. We seem to be hitting a roadblock though with the amount of information and screens we have.
Hopefully we get some new stuff to work with fairly soon so that we can keep this great topic going.

ExtermelySmartMan
  • ExtermelySmartMan

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

Sure this is pretty interesting but it's not very useful because all of those buildings seem to be in the downtown area or just really close to each other so you'll basically end up with a map the size of a square mile. And tehre won't even be many streets. But still, it's pretty interesting.

Nirvana 4 Life
  • Nirvana 4 Life

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

Yo topic starter have you made a map yet that accurately portrays trailer?

ExtermelySmartMan
  • ExtermelySmartMan

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (Nirvana 4 Life @ Apr 2 2007, 12:38)

Your username is so controversial because in order to reach Nirvana you have to stop existing=die. So that doesn't make sense anuj_cop.gif

Nirvana 4 Life
  • Nirvana 4 Life

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (ExtermelySmartMan @ Apr 2 2007, 12:43)

Your username is so controversial because in order to reach Nirvana you have to stop existing=die. So that doesn't make sense anuj_cop.gif

Its a band smart ass. anuj_cop.gif

ExtermelySmartMan
  • ExtermelySmartMan

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Nirvana 4 Life @ Apr 2 2007, 12:45)

You're serious? I thought it's only a state of mind when I put it in my sig with bands.

Ethicon
  • Ethicon

GTA 4 LIFE

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

Why do you have to ruin a thread like this? Why? Does it make you feel good to put other people down? Seriously? Oh yea, nice rainbow flag. fa**ot! biggrin.gif

Nirvana 4 Life
  • Nirvana 4 Life

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (ExtermelySmartMan @ Apr 2 2007, 12:53)
QUOTE (Nirvana 4 Life @ Apr 2 2007, 12:45)

You're serious? I thought it's only a state of mind when I put it in my sig with bands.

I swear to god I only saw slipknot, didn't even notice the othere bands , but your still a fa**ot.

Helsinki
  • Helsinki

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

@Nirvana 4 Life & Ethicon: your first day/week here, and you're trying to get yourselves banned with that homophobic crap... Nice going.

Now, let's just get back on topic, everyone.

Has anyone figured out yet which real-life church, if any, the one in the trailer is based on? I looked through some Manhattan churches, but didn't find a match. Some similarities, though.

Carlito_Brigante
  • Carlito_Brigante

Insurgent

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:48 PM

I've been looking for that too. Maybe someone in the NYC area can tell us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users