Quantcast

» «
Photo

Mapping Liberty City (Laying Out Liberty City)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1,725 replies to this topic
Phil112
  • Phil112

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:40 AM

Here's something, probably been found before,
user posted image
Trailer 3, Niko talking to Roman in dumpster.

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE (Phil112 @ Jan 6 2008, 05:40)
user posted image

That is not the GetALife.

sebastian_96
  • sebastian_96

Sha-zammed

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (Darrel @ Jan 6 2008, 05:43)

It isn't?

Phil112
  • Phil112

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:47 AM

Looks a lot like it then...

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:49 AM Edited by Darrel, 06 January 2008 - 05:53 AM.

QUOTE (sebastian_96 @ Jan 6 2008, 05:44)

It isn't?

Nope. This is the GetaLife

user posted image

The supposed? GetaLife

user posted image

Phil112
  • Phil112

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:50 AM

Stand corrected, at first glance they look similar though.

sebastian_96
  • sebastian_96

Sha-zammed

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE (Phil112 @ Jan 6 2008, 05:50)

I agree.

We were both pwned blush.gif

Phil112
  • Phil112

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE (sebastian_96 @ Jan 6 2008, 06:25)

I agree.

By someone - in forum age anyway - younger than us.

sebastian_96
  • sebastian_96

Sha-zammed

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (Phil112 @ Jan 6 2008, 06:29)
QUOTE (sebastian_96 @ Jan 6 2008, 06:25)

I agree.

By someone - in forum age anyway - younger than us.

sad.gif

Kudos to him.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

why havent we got a map with the buildings you know the locations of onit yet??????

TTT4
  • TTT4

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (TinCan @ Jan 3 2008, 02:31)
I've roughly placed the Triborough Bridge, using the map found earlier today, according to how it's placed in NY:

user posted image

The Triborough Bridge is a complex of three bridges connecting the Bronx, Manhattan, and Queens (Bohan, Algonquin & Dukes).
The shots are taken from different angles, but I tried to place them about where they belong. The one with the motorbike are viewed from North.

Is that what the map really looks like? If so, where did you get it?

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (rasomaso @ Jan 3 2008, 08:07)
So after the moment of silence on my side I'm here to bring you the latest of my thoughts. I hope it's not old news and it's a bit related to my previous post (here) so here it is. And sorry to stretch the page again. tounge2.gif
And these are .png so my apologies to all the people with slow connection speed, but that's a cost for higher quality. confused.gif

http://i197.photobuc.../rasomaso/1.png

Hehehe movie poster "I slept with you mom." (Kinda look slike Claude)

Anyway, with the discovery of the "Map" in that screenshot I am excited to see what you guys come up with. Tincan's map looks pretty feasible. Keep it up guys. icon14.gif

TinCan
  • TinCan

Prankster

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (TTT4 @ Jan 6 2008, 13:33)
Is that what the map really looks like? If so, where did you get it?

That's just a 60sec photoshop lasso-tool sketchup of the map bluespot discovered.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:58 PM

TinCan inspired me to squish actual NYC boroughs to be roughly the shape of the islands on the Police Boat Map (PBM). A few areas are traced where the real boroughs couldn't line up. Real NYC is used as filler for the obscured southeast corner of the PBM map.

Next, I used a street grid, based on the best guess of Liberty City's scale to San Andreas, to attempt to scale the GTA4.net Broker Map to the PBM. I was only scaling using my grid but by coincidence Platypus ended up about the same relative size as ships in San Andreas, so I think this is pretty good. Ignoring the actual map of Brooklyn, the Broker Bridge is positioned assuming it will connect with the southern tip of Algonquin as the Brooklyn Bridge does to Manhattan.

user posted image

LunaticBrandon
  • LunaticBrandon

Psychopath

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:25 PM

Good job thats crazy

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Jan 6 2008, 15:58)
TinCan inspired me to squish actual NYC boroughs to be roughly the shape of the islands on the Police Boat Map (PBM). A few areas are traced where the real boroughs couldn't line up. Real NYC is used as filler for the obscured southeast corner of the PBM map.

Next, I used a street grid, based on the best guess of Liberty City's scale to San Andreas, to attempt to scale the GTA4.net Broker Map to the PBM. I was only scaling using my grid but by coincidence Platypus ended up about the same relative size as ships in San Andreas, so I think this is pretty good. Ignoring the actual map of Brooklyn, the Broker Bridge is positioned assuming it will connect with the southern tip of Algonquin as the Brooklyn Bridge does to Manhattan.

user posted image

magic_Al really good job there icon14.gif

kallaN
  • kallaN

källaN

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Jan 6 2008, 16:58)

user posted image

Wow! If the map looks like that, we sure have a lot left to explore.

God job! icon14.gif

freak2121
  • freak2121

I'm bored.

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (kallaN @ Jan 6 2008, 20:22)
QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Jan 6 2008, 16:58)

user posted image

Wow! If the map looks like that, we sure have a lot left to explore.

God job! icon14.gif

yeah id like it to be that big biggrin.gif

CrocodileDundee
  • CrocodileDundee

Liverpool FC

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

user posted image

Thats some Excellent work icon14.gif It Really give's me some perspective on how big IV will be.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

For comparison, here's my version scaled down to the resolution of the original. You can tell the real-life coastlines I used to add detail don't line up very well with the original but the original is too small to extrapolate much. So little info, it feels like being a 14th Century cartographer.

user posted image

Phil112
  • Phil112

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

user posted image

WOW, and people are complaining about too much water...

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Jan 6 2008, 21:08)
For comparison, here's my version scaled down to the resolution of the original. You can tell the real-life coastlines I used to add detail don't line up very well with the original but the original is too small to extrapolate much. So little info, it feels like being a 14th Century cartographer.

user posted image

Great icon14.gif

Vive La France
  • Vive La France

On my own mission, I fight like a man.

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Jan 6 2008, 21:08)

user posted image

That's very good. cookie.gif You used GIMP for that effect, right?

Simseth
  • Simseth

SimSeth

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Jan 6 2008, 10:58)

user posted image

Wow, thank you. This looks absolutely great and brings my hopes up!

Vive La France
  • Vive La France

On my own mission, I fight like a man.

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

Now, I've been thinking about the Airports. Rockstar said there would be two, and it looks like they would be on either side of Broker, or one would be in Jersey. What I'm thinking is that It will be either LaGuardia and JFK, LaGuardia and Newark Airport, or JFK and Newark airport. This also got me noticing that there are two country clubs in this area. One is the Liberty National Golf Club and State Park (From which the Ferry to Liberty Island goes) and the other is the Pelham Split rock Golf Course Between Bronx and Manhattan.

Simseth
  • Simseth

SimSeth

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (Vive La France @ Jan 6 2008, 17:34)
Now, I've been thinking about the Airports. Rockstar said there would be two, and it looks like they would be on either side of Broker, or one would be in Jersey. What I'm thinking is that It will be either LaGuardia and JFK, LaGuardia and Newark Airport, or JFK and Newark airport. This also got me noticing that there are two country clubs in this area. One is the Liberty National Golf Club and State Park (From which the Ferry to Liberty Island goes) and the other is the Pelham Split rock Golf Course Between Bronx and Manhattan.

2? I thought they only said 1. . . And I think they could spoof on JFK by naming it AFK. Because you won't be able to fly. Get it? Get it?. . . damn.

SBizz6
  • SBizz6

old school

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Jan 6 2008, 10:58)
user posted image

Wow, that is the best fan made map I have seen yet. I love how you incorporated the mini broker map into it cause it gives a great sense of scale. If the map size was somewhere around that using the same scale than I would be a very happy person! The only thing that bothers me a little about it is that I would expect Alderney to go in deeper on the left side and be larger.
But still, that is some excellent work!

Gjones712
  • Gjones712

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

Wow, you guys are amazing.

You really help to make the wait seem a bit shorter.

Excellent job!

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (Phil112 @ Jan 6 2008, 00:40)
user posted image

The building with the slanted top is actually the Woolworth Building, one of New York's oldest skyscrapers, and was the tallest building in the world when it was first built. I don't know the name of the other building, but I do know that it is definitely not the MetLife (GetaLife) Building, and that in real life it is pretty close to the Brooklyn Bridge, just like in the game.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (SBizz6 @ Jan 6 2008, 18:22)
Wow, that is the best fan made map I have seen yet. I love how you incorporated the mini broker map into it cause it gives a great sense of scale. If the map size was somewhere around that using the same scale than I would be a very happy person! The only thing that bothers me a little about it is that I would expect Alderney to go in deeper on the left side and be larger.
But still, that is some excellent work!

Yeah, I have the same problem with Alderney, but the Police Boat Map doesn't clearly show more. I'm also not sure about the orientation of the mini Broker map. Past GTA maps always had ships facing cardinal or ordinal directions but that's not necessarily true in GTA4. Orientation could also depend if the sun is due west at the end of the first trailer.

What's the consensus? Which part of the GTA4.net Broker map should aligned with a compass direction, if any: the streets, the ship, or the bridge?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users