Quantcast

» «
Photo

Mapping Liberty City (Laying Out Liberty City)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1,725 replies to this topic
jimmyjojo
  • jimmyjojo

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (Carbine23 @ Jul 17 2007, 18:36)
Although its exciting that you guys found that hove beach/carney island is down the beach from the broker bridge......its still hard for New Yorkers like me (if you know what i mean)

In real life getting to coney island from the brooklyn bridge takes 30 minutes

Rockstar has REALLY scaled down New York to a san andreas size
It's going to feel weird that going down the street from the broker bridge will take 2 minutes to reach the southern tip but i guess its going to take years and years until somebody can make a perfect, street to street recreation of the whole NEW YORK CITY area...

I'm pretty upset about this as well, not nessesarily because of their proximity between the Bridge and Coney Island(I honestly don't feel the need to get stuck on the BQE for 30 minutes in the game), but because it feels like they've cut so much out.

For those who don't know, the Brooklyn Bridge area is the northernmost part of Brooklyn, and Coney Island/Brighton Beach is the southernmost point. Now seeing those two areas beside each other makes me question the overall size of the borough of Broker, since so much has been cut out.

Also, whatever happened to BOABO? This neighborhood was confirmed very early on, yet other than the first trailer where we first see Niko's face, we've had no images of this area at all. I think that's kind of weird.

Gjones712
  • Gjones712

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:35 AM

I pray to God that a mock of Yankee Stadium makes it into the game. I live a few blocks from there and having my neighborhood in the game would be awesome.

Ithanium
  • Ithanium

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (geomy @ Jul 19 2007, 03:15)
Screampoint has a really good start.

Yeah, Rockstar and Screampoint should consider sharing their synergies.

CrocodileDundee
  • CrocodileDundee

Liverpool FC

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:18 AM Edited by CrocodileDundee, 19 July 2007 - 10:22 AM.

QUOTE (Brit-Boi @ Jul 18 2007, 11:55)
That makes alot of sense, because of Englands, Brighton-on-hove, or whatever that place is called lol

I Thought I was the first one to notice that, I posted it when the first Picture with Hove beach Camed up, And that was a Long time ago wink.gif

QUOTE (Wipex President Mike)
yeah theres a town called Hove over here, near scotland in fact. (rockstar north, makes sense)

BTW, this topic is really really good. I'm loving the maps and everything its great work 

Brighton and Hove isn't even Close to Scotland.

WellsMcK
  • WellsMcK

Mt. Hood

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:18 AM

so im guessing you guys are gonna get soemthign a little like this user posted image

Mafioso86
  • Mafioso86

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE (jimmyjojo @ Jul 19 2007, 03:38)

I'm pretty upset about this as well, not nessesarily because of their proximity between the Bridge and Coney Island(I honestly don't feel the need to get stuck on the BQE for 30 minutes in the game), but because it feels like they've cut so much out.

haha, yeah that will not be missed. sh*t man... it once took me like 3 hours from shay stadium to bayridge on the BQE.

And I see what you guys are saying... but I think they'll pull it off ok. It's not going to be exact... not even just like a scaled down version... but a loose interpretation of the city. If you look at maps of San Fransisco and Los Angeles compared to their GTA counterparts I think it will give you a good idea of what we'll be getting.

user posted image
user posted image

GycuBrun
  • GycuBrun

Jeapany

• Members

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:30 AM Edited by GycuBrun, 24 July 2007 - 09:34 AM.

I noticed few things ... Not really important but w/e ... I don't think these were mentioned before but if so anuj_cop.gif

Here are the pics ( from the second trailer )

1. In both pics it is the same building, but look how less detailed is in the first pic compared to the second one, you can barely see some details ...

2. In the second pic you can see people standing on the bench, but there are no BENCHES in the first pic sad.gif Where did they go ?

user posted image

user posted image

3. Notice those two towers in the first pic ( marked with orange ) ? There is a similar tower to those ( not the same ) in the second pic, it is situated behind the bridge(4.)

4. Notice the bridge marked with purple ? I think it's the same one in the following 3 pics
IMO Both the towers(3) and the bridge(4) are located in the same area ...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

It took me a while to figure it out so

Can I have a cookie now ?

zacn138
  • zacn138

"Nigggguuuh"

• Members

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:00 AM

Good Work Ac

nlitement
  • nlitement

Pare mou mia pipa

• Members

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:28 AM

user posted image

Well, here's a generalization of how they might scale it.. or not (Manhattan's too small, well, we'll see how it works out lol.gif besides, it's slightly less than the given 3/4).

Timmons55
  • Timmons55

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (nlitement @ Jul 25 2007, 11:28)
user posted image

Well, here's a generalization of how they might scale it.. or not (Manhattan's too small, well, we'll see how it works out lol.gif besides, it's slightly less than the given 3/4).

angolquin is far too small and alderny is too big, i think there will be more emphasis on angloquin...

Mafioso86
  • Mafioso86

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

yeah i think they said Alderney would be a rather small area. Your map is very nicely made tho, and accurate to the true NYC area... however I'm starting to get the impression that Algonquin might not be a long skinny island running north-south as real life Manhattan is. When you look at all the pics and try to put them together based off landmarks... it just isn't adding up for me as being the same exact shape as NYC, but it may be to early to tell anything like that.

Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Remember me?

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

Laying Out Liberty City has been featured on the Community Spotlight for July 29, 2007.

Andy bumps the topic up.

nlitement
  • nlitement

Pare mou mia pipa

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Mafioso86 @ Jul 25 2007, 23:10)
yeah i think they said Alderney would be a rather small area. Your map is very nicely made tho, and accurate to the true NYC area... however I'm starting to get the impression that Algonquin might not be a long skinny island running north-south as real life Manhattan is. When you look at all the pics and try to put them together based off landmarks... it just isn't adding up for me as being the same exact shape as NYC, but it may be to early to tell anything like that.

Alderney's the biggest borough. wink.gif

I would agree, though, that Algonquin's going to be bigger compared to Dukes and Broker as unlike in the real NYC.

Timmons55
  • Timmons55

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:45 PM

ok this is to tie in one of the new screenshots:

user posted image

user posted image

rasomaso
  • rasomaso

...when you die you're just getting rid of that old body.

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:48 PM

@Timmons55: damn alconquin now looks big as hell wow notify.gif

air carter15
  • air carter15

Go Gators

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:11 AM

nice! biggrin.gif

Fragem420
  • Fragem420

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:17 AM

Hi I'm a messenger that works in NYC. The flat iron building is located at 175 5th ave

Your only half correct about the flat iron building. From 42nd st to 50th street you can take the R or the W subway to 23rd street to get to the Flat iron building.

That is 42nd st 34th st 28th st 23rd st

4 subway stops.

Times Square is the area On Bway and 7th ave and parts of 8th ave from 40th st to about 50th.

However the scenes you see here only show Broadway and 7th ave.

The Flatiron building is located near 23rd st and 5th ave, Broadway also intersects with this area.

It probally would take you from 15 minutes if you are really fast to a half hour to walk from Times Square to the Flatiron building.

LiTtLe_BaStEd
  • LiTtLe_BaStEd

Notepad!

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:34 AM

Hey i have looked at very little of this topic because its 27 pages long confused.gif so can somebody plz give me the link to all the maps you guys have put together biggrin.gif if one of you help me with that i will be grateful lol.gif

mcstupidfun
  • mcstupidfun

D-Bomb

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:46 AM

Algonquin/Manhattan has been condensed, alot. In the latest screenshot (the boat in the water and the skyline), the Empire State Building and Woolworth building appear to be right down the street from one another. In reality the WB is in Lower Manhattan and the ESB is further north in midtown. R* has really cut alot of what is between Midtown and Lower Manhattan/Downtown.
Also the two buildings that are across the screet from the WTC (going west) are present and there is nothing in front of them. So did R* just leave a huge lot from where the towers were?

Timmons55
  • Timmons55

Peon

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

ok here is a screenshot form another angle to tie in that new screenshot:

user posted image

user posted image

GtaFreak_blingbling
  • GtaFreak_blingbling

The Exiles - Proven Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (LordSabman @ Apr 2 2007, 20:23)
I can't wait to fly a Hydra between all these beautyful skyscrapers. looks like there is some good base jumping to be had.

to bad it's become a taboe ! no airplanes man , because of 9/11 and I understand and respect that

rasomaso
  • rasomaso

...when you die you're just getting rid of that old body.

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

I think the Times Square must be located in area where the green arrow is pointing. Look at this, I marked buildings in the first and second pic to be sure it's shot from the same side of the island. Notice the green circled weird shaped building - it's the same as from the times square shot from the first trailer. You can see it better on the full size pics though, and sorry if it's already known suicidal.gif

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Also notice the high circle based building on the right side of the second picture (you can see it better in the trailer though, and it's also seen at the end of the first trailer). Where the hell it gone in the shot with the boat?

They_All_Float
  • They_All_Float

Bar Sinister

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

im glad all of you are doing the thinking... i just sit back and fondle my...whoa, sry... im just want the game, damnt! rah.gif

YouFatStinkyPoo
  • YouFatStinkyPoo

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

I reckon the boroughs will be like the Las Venturas thing, during the Desert missions you could get to Las Venturas but you couldn't enter shops, do missions or anything so it was practically useless, I think you'll have to complete a borough to be able to advance to another borough for missions even though you might be able to get to the other boroughs already.

kingchris28
  • kingchris28

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:45 PM

I reckon the boroughs will be like the Las Venturas thing, during the Desert missions you could get to Las Venturas but you couldn't enter shops, do missions or anything so it was practically useless, I think you'll have to complete a borough to be able to advance to another borough for missions even though you might be able to get to the other boroughs already.

Niko should be able to go anywhere but the missions will be focused in specific areas.

Great job- agree with the spotlight muppetmaster_karma.gif

kingchris28
  • kingchris28

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:46 PM

Liberty city rocks

TubbyJ
  • TubbyJ

Happy crack

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:54 PM

Great job, guys. Have a few cookies for all your hard work.

cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

The people laying out Liberty City are really helping answer a lot of questions relating to size and scope, plus many others, and so far it's looking great!

CJN
  • CJN

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (rasomaso @ Jul 30 2007, 11:50)

user posted image

Also notice the high circle based building on the right side of the second picture (you can see it better in the trailer though, and it's also seen at the end of the first trailer). Where the hell it gone in the shot with the boat?

I'm pretty sure that's a wooden post

CJN
  • CJN

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (Fragem420 @ Jul 30 2007, 07:17)
Hi I'm a messenger that works in NYC. The flat iron building is located at 175 5th ave

Your only half correct about the flat iron building. From 42nd st to 50th street you can take the R or the W subway to 23rd street to get to the Flat iron building.

That is 42nd st 34th st 28th st 23rd st

4 subway stops.

Times Square is the area On Bway and 7th ave and parts of 8th ave from 40th st to about 50th.

However the scenes you see here only show Broadway and 7th ave.

The Flatiron building is located near 23rd st and 5th ave, Broadway also intersects with this area.

It probally would take you from 15 minutes if you are really fast to a half hour to walk from Times Square to the Flatiron building.

Awesome post icon14.gif

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake
  • Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

I live in Jersey and I loved it when NJ was in The Godfather game, but why does NJ have to be constantly made into a small area? I would hope with the sucess of The Sopranos, Jersey would get a lot more love and detail. Good gameplay and story can come from here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users