Quantcast

» «
Photo

Mapping Liberty City (Laying Out Liberty City)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1,725 replies to this topic
White Flight
  • White Flight

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

I think it will be close to that of San Andreas. And Reiner used the word 'massive' to describe it in one of those questions...

SI MoViE StAr
  • SI MoViE StAr

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:40 PM Edited by SI MoViE StAr, 26 April 2007 - 12:55 AM.

This new Liberty City could very well be just a re-modeled version of the original one in GTA III. I don't remember once reading or hearing them say that it will be bigger than the original size. What I did hear so far is that it will be smaller than San Andreas and that doesn't really say much so how knows.

We've already had 4 boroughs and NJ in GTA 1 and GTA III (Portland-Brooklyn/Queens; Staunton Island-Manhattan/Bronx(?); Shoreside Vale-New Jersey). But they did add a second bridge (as prior to that in the old LC, there was never two bridges on one side) in between what looks to be Bohan & Dukes and Alderney, so things had to have change somewhat.

Mute Giant
  • Mute Giant

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:35 AM

It cant be as small as gta3 liberty city. That would suck.......... but then again, I'm drunk....

gamefarter
  • gamefarter

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:10 AM

QUOTE (soleil @ Apr 18 2007, 00:00)
QUOTE (geomy @ Apr 17 2007, 23:59)
Right, but 25 was the number. Argue it, it doesn't matter. Nobody knows except Rockstar.

But where did everyone get the number? That was my question.

I believe it came out of this tread, somewhere toward the beginning.

Chase360
  • Chase360

Grand Theft Auto IV

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:29 AM

Quality+Big City=Awesome

jerrymanu
  • jerrymanu

Manu, the scourge of Edgbaston

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

Guys,

This is my first post but I've been lurking around for a while. To be honest, I only signed up to post this link regarding the size / layout of Liberty City.

For what its worth, I recon the City is gonna be very impressive, both in scale and detail, but I think this link will help people realise that a realistic, accurate Liberty/New York is probably not gonna happen.

This is pretty awsome http://fukung.net/v/...ork Skyline.jpg

Manu

CDT_boss
  • CDT_boss

Just Chillin' N Cruisin'

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

maybe anything to do with the topic but i would like to say that Algonquin was an old Indian that lived on Manhattan also there is an Native American tribe: THE ALGONQUINS but they didn't live in New York state (Manhattan also Indian name). Many places and things in US are named Algonquin, but i think rahkstar2.gif have used the name after the old Indian, just so you know it viddy_pirate.gif

PS: It's hard to find info about Algonquin from Manhattan on WWW.

cpharding618
  • cpharding618

God of GTA

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (CDT_boss @ Apr 26 2007, 19:53)
maybe anything to do with the topic but i would like to say that Algonquin was an old Indian that lived on Manhattan also there is an Native American tribe: THE ALGONQUINS but they didn't live in New York state (Manhattan also Indian name). Many places and things in US are named Algonquin, but i think rahkstar2.gif have used the name after the old Indian, just so you know it viddy_pirate.gif

i've said it before and i'll say it again, it is most likely named after the native american language, algonquin, from which manhattan was derived. not some hotel not some indian who lives on manhattan.

phs1234
  • phs1234

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (cpharding618 @ Apr 26 2007, 17:29)
QUOTE (CDT_boss @ Apr 26 2007, 19:53)
maybe anything to do with the topic but i would like to say that Algonquin was an old Indian that lived on Manhattan also there is an Native American tribe: THE ALGONQUINS but they didn't live in New York state (Manhattan also Indian name). Many places and things in US are named Algonquin, but i think rahkstar2.gif   have used the name after the old Indian, just so you know it viddy_pirate.gif

i've said it before and i'll say it again, it is most likely named after the native american language, algonquin, from which manhattan was derived. not some hotel not some indian who lives on manhattan.

http://www.algonquinhotel.com/

...one of the premier Times Square Hotels in Midtown Manhattan...

...ranked #77 of 328 hotels in New York Cityranked #77 of 328 hotels in New York City...

The hotel was sold in 2005 for a reported $74 million.

The Algonquin Hotel is IN Manhattan. Maybe that's why Manhattan is nicknamed Algonquin in GTA 4.

-----

However, the Algonquin tribe lived all along the North Atlantic coast.

I say its named after both.

geomy
  • geomy

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:50 PM Edited by geomy, 26 April 2007 - 11:01 PM.

QUOTE (phs1234 @ Apr 26 2007, 16:38)

You can't have your cake and eat it too - haven't you been here long enough to know there is only black and white. Famous hotel or Native Americans?

sarcasm.gif

Actually, I assume the name of the hotel has something to do with the native tribe; so in essence, if it's named after the hotel, it is named after the Indians. Both works for me.

phs1234
  • phs1234

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (geomy @ Apr 26 2007, 17:50)
QUOTE (phs1234 @ Apr 26 2007, 16:38)

You can't have you cake and eat it too - haven't you been here long enough to know there is only black and white. Famous hotel or Native Americans?

sarcasm.gif

Actually, I assume the name of the hotel has something to do with the native tribe; so in essence, if it's named after the hotel, it is named after the Indians. Both works for me.

Yep thats probably it.

Лёшенька
  • Лёшенька

KGB agent

• Members

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

dont know if anyone noticed this

user posted image

swimfreak430
  • swimfreak430

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

i hadent seen that
but look over his sholder you can clearly see the Crystler and Getalife building

jimjams91
  • jimjams91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

I've edited Лёшенька's picture for this.
user posted image

defibrillator
  • defibrillator

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (SI MoViE StAr @ Apr 25 2007, 23:40)
This new Liberty City could very well be just a re-modeled version of the original one in GTA III. I don't remember once reading or hearing them say that it will be bigger than the original size. What I did hear so far is that it will be smaller than San Andreas and that doesn't really say much so how knows.

We've already had 4 boroughs and NJ in GTA 1 and GTA III (Portland-Brooklyn/Queens; Staunton Island-Manhattan/Bronx(?); Shoreside Vale-New Jersey). But they did add a second bridge (as prior to that in the old LC, there was never two bridges on one side) in between what looks to be Bohan & Dukes and Alderney, so things had to have change somewhat.

You are a terrible person for thinking it will be the size of GTA III. It said it wasn't going to be as large as SA not that it was going to be incredibly small. Why would rockstar ever consider making a city the same size they did a six years ago? You have a very poor rationale. San Andreas was huge and the only reason why the new Liberty City will not be as large is because there will be no desert, and here will be no country side. Do you really think that Rockstar would produce the same city from the last generation of consoles? You have very, very poor judgement.

jimjams91
  • jimjams91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (defibrillator @ Apr 28 2007, 17:52)
QUOTE (SI MoViE StAr @ Apr 25 2007, 23:40)

You are a terrible person for thinking it will be the size of GTA III. It said it wasn't going to be as large as SA not that it was going to be incredibly small. Why would rockstar ever consider making a city the same size they did a six years ago? You have a very poor rationale. San Andreas was huge and the only reason why the new Liberty City will not be as large is because there will be no desert, and here will be no country side. Do you really think that Rockstar would produce the same city from the last generation of consoles? You have very, very poor judgement.

LMAO tounge.gif

CDT_boss
  • CDT_boss

Just Chillin' N Cruisin'

• Members

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:39 PM Edited by CDT_boss, 29 April 2007 - 12:24 AM.

Liberty city is gonna be slightly smaller than SA, San Andreas is approximately 17 square miles (44 square kilometers), almost five times as large as Vice City, and five times as large as Liberty City. Los Santos where bigger than GTAIII's LC, so think to yourself that GTAIV would be maybe all the towns and city's from SA placed together.

I think GTA4 will be around 35-40 SQKM and will contain more details, vehicles, more entrable buildings, more missions and features like: Houserobbing, Smuggling(new?), legitimate work?, Sports?(tracksuit) etc...
Take a look at the SA map(Ian Albert map):
user posted image
P.S. The real New York with all five boroughs included New Jersey is approximately:457 km2
Area: 308.9 sq. mi. 800 km2
Area: City-368 sq. mi.(953 km2). Metropolitan area (excluding inland water)-1,148 sq. mi. (2,973 km2). Consolidated metropolitan area (excluding inland water)-10,457 sq. mi. (27,084 km2) 953 km2
New York City is made up of five boroughs: Manhattan, The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Richmond. They lie at the mouth of the Hudson River in the southeastern corner of the state of New York. Together they cover an area of about 319 square miles. 826 km2
New York City's land area covers 321 square miles, over 205,000 acres. Excluding streets and major bodies of water, almost 6.9 billion square feet of land (over 150,000 acres) are available for use. 645 km2
Kings: 71 sq. miles
New York: 23 sq. miles
Queens:109 sq. miles
Bronx: 42 sq. miles
Richmond 58 sq. miles 785 km

This is excluded New Jersey, it's big but i liked how NY where divided in GTA1 where they got all places on an small area, if they did the same with GTA4 and made it bigger and include the Verrazano Narrows Bridge(my favorite NY bridge) from Broker to Alderney would be cool cool.gif

Too R*: Never make the map big and boring like WOW or Just Cause maps viddy_pirate.gif

geomy
  • geomy

• Zaibatsu

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (CDT_boss @ Apr 28 2007, 18:39)
Take a look at the SA map

Hotlink disabled, check it here.

pzuffi
  • pzuffi

check out my website

• Members

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:17 AM

nice job guys cant wait to see what u guys come up with next

pzuffi
  • pzuffi

check out my website

• Members

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:58 AM

[COLOR=blue] yo guys go to this web site to compare the building in gta wit real llife ones i hope this helps u guys put together the map

http://www.gamesrada...033012401748021

user posted image
rahkstar2.gif

swimfreak430
  • swimfreak430

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:09 AM

yea we already did that stuff a long time ago but this tread has gone so far off topic that nobody sees it anymore. they have identified almost every building in the Trail with its real life counterpart

pzuffi
  • pzuffi

check out my website

• Members

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:49 PM

o0o i gotta go back and see the map then lol.. they put together the whole map

AleX AciD
  • AleX AciD

Toxicated

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:10 AM

"Industrial area" map:
user posted image

"Port" area:
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"Cherkov" building area:

AleX AciD
  • AleX AciD

Toxicated

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:12 AM

I'm sorry, but all these images are not fitting in one post, so i have to double. blush.gif

Unknown area map (must be somewhere near "Cherkov" building):
user posted image

and it's building numbers:

Also notice small differences between first and second screenshots some garbage was added; doors, road surface and tree were changed.

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

I have a custom member title. I call it "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

Ew, I really hope those arent the final shapes for the cop/taxi cars sad.gif

HERDIST
  • HERDIST

Brave New World

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (AleX AciD @ May 7 2007, 03:12)
I'm sorry, but all these images are not fitting in one post, so i have to double.  blush.gif

Unknown area map (must be somewhere near "Cherkov" building):
user posted image

and it's building numbers:

Also notice small differences between first and second screenshots some garbage was added; doors, road surface and tree were changed.

Good work man! cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif breadfish_by_Moto.gif

angusgs
  • angusgs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:34 AM

Well, yr explanations are very great...

it helps us to imagine the size of liberty city...it would be so nice and massive!! tounge.gif

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:55 PM Edited by YukiEiri, 10 May 2007 - 01:57 PM.

QUOTE (AleX AciD @ May 7 2007, 03:10)
"Industrial area" map:
user posted image

"Port" area:
user posted image

"Cherkov" building area:
user posted imageuser posted image

The thing we can see behind Niko is not the same bridge (Brooklyn) that is in the other images.
Why? 'cos we can't see the cables, and we see so much sky, that we should see them IF that would be the same bridge.

Also the Cherkov-building is not the same, look closely and you will see the difference in the billboard support structure. smile.gif

And the building in front of it does not seem to have fire-espace in the facade side.. But that may just be because of poor image quality..

EDIT: Actually I think that Niko's back is towards the ElTrain track..

Paeron
  • Paeron

Hobo

• Members

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:21 PM Edited by Paeron, 10 May 2007 - 02:26 PM.

QUOTE (YukiEiri @ May 10 2007, 13:55)
QUOTE (AleX AciD @ May 7 2007, 03:10)
"Industrial area" map:
user posted image

"Port" area:
user posted image

"Cherkov" building area:
user posted imageuser posted image

The thing we can see behind Niko is not the same bridge (Brooklyn) that is in the other images.
Why? 'cos we can't see the cables, and we see so much sky, that we should see them IF that would be the same bridge.

Also the Cherkov-building is not the same, look closely and you will see the difference in the billboard support structure. smile.gif

And the building in front of it does not seem to have fire-espace in the facade side.. But that may just be because of poor image quality..

EDIT: Actually I think that Niko's back is towards the ElTrain track..

I just think it looks like they have edited out the cables in the Niko image. All the buildings are the same and its very hard to see if there are fire escapes or not in the last image. So AleX AciD is still correct IMO. tounge2.gif

EDIT: As for the edited image, they had to have their text somewhere, so they just blurred the cables out. Thats what I think.

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:52 PM Edited by YukiEiri, 10 May 2007 - 02:56 PM.

QUOTE (Paeron @ May 10 2007, 14:21)

I just think it looks like they have edited out the cables in the Niko image. All the buildings are the same and its very hard to see if there are fire escapes or not in the last image. So AleX AciD is still correct IMO.  tounge2.gif

EDIT: As for the edited image, they had to have their text somewhere, so they just blurred the cables out. Thats what I think.

Ok, I could believe that. BUT.. biggrin.gif

Notice how low the bridge is behind Niko? smile.gif If you compere it to this image

user posted image

You also should notice that the bridge is way higher than the houses around it.

So unfortunately, I have to say again that in my very humble opinion, the thingie behind Niko is the elevated rail thingie, not the (Brooklyn?) bridge. smile.gif

EDIT: Hmm, something wrong with the pic.. Dmn.. But look at the pic where there is the train and the bridge on the background..

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users