Quantcast

» «
Photo

What's a good controler for the pc version?

4 replies to this topic
Toni Leone
  • Toni Leone

is in your extended network

• Members

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:23 PM

I don't feel like playing with a mouse and keyboard. Wait, are the mouse and keyboard easy to play with?

Saget
  • Saget

AMF Lima Capo

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:33 PM

It's all a matter of getting used to it. I have a gamepad, and I play with mouse and keyboard just because I play more games on my computer than on a console.

If you really wanna play with a gamepad, I suggest you get a gamepad that has the same design as a PS2 controller, so you can use it the same way and still have all the functions there, on the gamepad. But that's just me =)

brusifur
  • brusifur

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:24 AM

logitech gamepads are basically your only good choice. Their bestseller is the rumble pad 2, and although ive never gotten the rumbler to work with GTA, its key layout is close to perfect.

The xbox controller allows you to use degrees of gas/brake which is cool, but it fails when you want to do drive bys. Picture this:
left thumb on left analog stick(steer car)
right forefinger on right trigger(gas)
left forefinger on left trigger (brake)
right thumb on A button (fire)

So, now the look left/right buttons are unreachable. you have to push them along with 'A', so you end up using your palm or nose or tongue or something.
I recently played on my friend's xbox, and i am bitter.

Heres something to try. If you have a joystick, you can play gta pretty effectively with a joystick and the numpad. Sounds crazy, but i did it for months before i finaly bought the gamepad.

I try and include the mouse for sniping, rocket launching, or any minigun firing missions. FYI - anytime you go to 1st person perspective (ie - when you cans see cj, just the crosshairs) you can use the mouse to move and fire. This makes certain parts one billiont times easier. Just for example, when you kill ryder, just snipe his ass as he swims to a boat. That part gave me trouble for awhile.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:48 AM

Now that I am playing GTA for the first time on PC, and generally being a console person, I cannot seem to get a feel for playing SA with the keyboard and mouse. The camera system is great with a PS2-style controller, but trying to drive with one hand on one side of the keyboard while steering with the other hand on the other side, with no other hand to adjust the camera with the mouse. It's not working.

I will probably look at getting a Logitech pad.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (Toni Leone @ Mar 21 2007, 05:23)
Wait, are the mouse and keyboard easy to play with?

You'll find that with practice you'll be able to cope with either.

The state of your post suggests that you're just too lazy (no offence) to try one or the other and that you want a sure-fire absolute word on which is better out of a gamepad or the mouse/keyboard combination. It's not that simple.

I personally go for the mouse and keyboard because I find the mouse allows for greater control than any gamepad could provide. You'll actually need to spend a bit of time trying different things before you can make the decision that you and only you are really in a position to make.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users