Riff Raff

Waka Flocka

Azealia Banks

Iggy Azalea

Birdman

Gucci Mane

Tyga

Nicki Minaj

.. I had to Google a list of current rappers to remember almost all of them. -__-    I wonder which of those artists will have produced content that we'll be using to look back at the state of the world in the naughts/teens in 20 years. Can the next gen of rappers look up to them in the same way Drake looks up to Wu Tang? They certainly didn't all have the same hood upbringing and struggle that seemed common - and much harder to get out of - in the 80s/90s

I've been listening to Kurupt lately so his omission stands out. Daz? Busta Rhymes? Nate Dogg?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I'm sure no one on this list will be revered as a hiphop/rap legend... Lil Wayne may get a honorable mention but none of them have done anything near legendary... and for someone like myself who is from the era or true lyricists and people that uplift the culture and the people... you may have to omit the entire list... Just my opinion though... Some people that should be on this list would be Kendrick Lamar, J.Cole, Jay Electronica, just to name a few... there's way to many garbage emcees out in the game right now for me to even come up with a solid 10 of these new school dudes...

yeah #realhiphop #90sbaby #beatsloverhymes #fvckmainstream!!

Pusha is already a certified legend for his work as Clipse.

Kippers that is a odd list you posted re future legends I can't cosign many of them even tho I understand you're talking from a new listeners perspective. Wayne def got a case and I donr really f*ck with his music, ross yeah, gucci..I like gucci but where's he at? Haven't heard anything in a while. As for kurupt and daz they're already legends.

I hope I get these thoughts across coherently.

I was being facetious with that list, really,  but yeah it's one potential scenario given they are some of the names that the buying public are aware of. I can't think of reasons for most of them to be remembered (yet) either...Or rather at least they won't be for the same reasons we respect the old legends now. We don't remember Wu Tang, Pharcyde, WC, KRS, Scarface, Slick Rick, DMX etc for their 'Hustlin'(Rick Ross), 'My Nigga (YG), and '23''s (Mike WILL Made-it)...Do we? At least, I don't, and yet interestingly they had similar popularity and doing similar numbers. Which is what got me thinking, with Party Rap being an even more (if not the) prominent mainstream source of hip hop nowadays, what are today's artists in that same position to be respected and immortalised for? They don't necessarily have the wise words and clever conclusions about life in their hit songs that the others managed to squeeze in amongst the feel good lyrics. So will it be for something as simple as just being catchy regardless of subject, content and rhyming?

I'm not looking to turn this into another tirade against current hip hop or debating what is considered relevant or good, if that's the vibe anyone got from that ^. This is genuine curiosity about who will be in the next group of iconic artists and what guidelines will decide that. With enough drinks in me, Kid Ink is kinda cool tbh. I could be completely underestimating how many people have heard and enjoy Big KRIT, Mac Miller, Joey and all these other great artists, or indeed being close minded about the music Mike WILL and YG make, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

That's a nice list though, Oh No. I'd forgotten about KRIT. How about the potential for Pusha T? It may still be early days(?), but he had so much hype around him at one point last year. The same kind of hype Kendrick managed to capitalise on, but Pusha perhaps didn't.

I mentioned Kurupt and Daz because I didn't spot them on Killa's original list.

Also Hustlin and My Nigga >> I get such a 2001 feel when I listen to My Nigga so thats the main reason why I f*ck with it.

That 23 song is awful lol but the women seem to like it, but I haven't heard anyone talk about that song since it came out so I don't really that's one of those songs anyone will remember in 5 yrs.

Joey Bada$$ ruined his career by dissing Lil B. I'm not a Lil B fan but I respect that dude. You can deny it all you want but he is modern hip-hop's biggest influence. He lost so many fans and so much hype after Lil B dissed him back, and that's fact. Almost nobody talks about Joey, people seem to like other Pro Era members more now. I'm also not a Pro Era fan, would rather just play some Wu than listen to those kids.

KRIT isn't #1 hit single big (hey thats not what really matters, but I bring it up because he has the potential for that) but enough people know about him, I also wouldn't be surprised if he puts a classic out some point in his career.

And Mac Miller is just corny, I know he's getting way better at rapping but he just reminds me of that one lame kid who thinks he can rap everyone had class with in high school. Like his verse on Pinata sounded so out of place and lame to me, it really upsets me that a lot of my favorite up-and-coming rappers associate with him now but it's whatever. I do like him as a producer though, he's getting better at that.

Yao_ming_meme_by_lecatinga-d4kpe13.jpg

2937de9aa5c27d45278f5d383e8d64ec.620x400

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

Get out of my face, you miserable, dung-sniffing dirt-scratcher

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:16 PM Edited by SirMichaelRocks23, 08 April 2014 - 09:00 PM.

If anybody listens/knows about XV, he dropped a March Madness series of mixtapes during the NCAA Tourney.

Verdant
  • Verdant

Boomshine Blowout

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

So what do you guys reckon of 'My Krazy Life' by YG. It took me a couple times to listen to the album and overall I'd say it was pretty good. Looking forward to Strangeulation, Strange Music posted 'Hard (A Monster Made It) by Tech N9ne featuring Murs, in which I believe Murs killed it on this track. Logic should be dropping some new stuff anytime soon.

Here is the link to listen to 'Hard (A Monster Made it): http://www.strangemu...eulation-audio/

• iMPAK540 likes this

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

Yeah haha re that lil b comment, yeah it wouldn't go that far but honestly lil b is the goat..of something..it's not hip hop, hip hop trolling maybe and yeah that comment is corny af, I know, but honestly, this guy amuses me. You hear that 'f*ck Kevin Durant?' irritatingly catchy, and I have no idea why he's even going at Durant, a basketball player...

Also his joe budden diss, I like budden tho he's another overly emotional should leave twitter alone getting punch in the eye by a wu goon and cryin on twitter, but he can rap and mood Muzik 2 was class. lil b tho..

'Joe budden, joe booty what the f*ck is yo name
Shut the f*ck up with those depressing ass songs
It's the summer time, gets some f*cking pussy and go home'

This Is hilarious to me.

Also I don't really listen to Wayne but he will go down as a legend he had a straight run where no one was f*cking with him and he's been around for years. Biggie is a legend and only made two albums. Wayne has at least one classic (afaik, like I say I don't listen, I'm going off the opinion of people I trust)

Ross will go down as a legend maybe more regional tho, maybe. Jeezy is a legend to me off the back of his run.

Anyway, have I mentioned the wu touring that one album you can only listen to In museums and is then being sold for millions, one copy? Scuse me if I already said this. As for their new album I hope Rza and Rae work their differences out as without Rae you're obviously missing a lot, plus you know how him and ghosts chemistry is.

I Hate CACs
  • I Hate CACs

#1 GTA Forums Member

• Members

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:42 AM Edited by I Hate CACs, 09 April 2014 - 04:58 PM.

So what do you guys reckon of 'My Krazy Life' by YG. It took me a couple times to listen to the album and overall I'd say it was pretty good. Looking forward to Strangeulation, Strange Music posted 'Hard (A Monster Made It) by Tech N9ne featuring Murs, in which I believe Murs killed it on this track. Logic should be dropping some new stuff anytime soon.

Here is the link to listen to 'Hard (A Monster Made it): http://www.strangemu...eulation-audio/

I've never DL'd a YG mixtape in my life because I heard a few songs and didn't care for him, but I decided to check this album out since it was his debut and it's really not bad. Not to say I'm about to go DL some YG tapes, because I'm not, but this album is pretty enjoyable. BPT, 1AM, and My Nigga >>>

Also love the fact that the west coast vibe is very real on this. This album is probably the one time I dont mind DJ Mustard beats either.

• Verdant likes this

BUDAKON
  • BUDAKON

Detective

• The Precinct
  • Canada
  • Most OGA Member 2015
    Most OGA Member 2016
    Most OGA Member 2017

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:55 AM Edited by johnson., 09 April 2014 - 02:56 AM.

been a while since i've been around these parts.

Souths CraZe
  • Souths CraZe

Home boy

• Members
  • France

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

I love this New YG for some reason. Wasn't a big fan before. 

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

Get out of my face, you miserable, dung-sniffing dirt-scratcher

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

Throwback Thursday. (:

• Verdant, iMPAK540 and Keegeroo like this

Verdant
  • Verdant

Boomshine Blowout

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:44 AM Edited by Verdant, 11 April 2014 - 06:45 AM.

Throwback Thursday. (:

Man I love this song so much!

Speaking of Nas, "Nas will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of Illmatic next week by releasing a special edition version entitled Illmatic XX."

Article: http://www.complex.c...erview-part-one

Nas speaks to Zane Lowe about 20th Anniversary of Illmatic. This is going to be sweet.

Been listening to some Lil Durk, his got some good stuff in my opinion.

Kippers
  • Kippers

何歳ですか

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

So Outkast reunited last night for a performance at Coachella. That's pretty frikkin' awesome. Apparently there was a live stream, but I completely missed it. Keep your eyes open for any clips that go up and post them.

Kippers
  • Kippers

何歳ですか

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:52 PM Edited by Kippers, 20 April 2014 - 05:10 PM.

Sorry for the double.

Listening through Rick Ross's 'Mastermind' again, I've come to the conclusion that 'Nobody' is probably my favourite Ross song to date.

He does the Diddy beat and Biggie flow justice. He's dealing with serious subjects,  reaffirming that he's not one dimensional,  and French Montana is a great singer.  Any time French sings, I'm all for it, but I don't like anything else about his music.

The original for your curiosity:

• Verdant likes this

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

Favorite NAS is performing among others on AXS TV's all week long televised Coachella concert. You guys checkin' it?

dante財閥
  • dante財閥

財閥

• The Connection
  • France

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:51 AM

I've had august alsina's new album on heavy rotation. Should tide me over till some new Breezy drops. 

iMPAK540
  • iMPAK540

[OBFL]Commissioner

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:58 AM

That Outkast Coachella performance was sick... Too bad the crowd was too young to really appreciate it....

dante財閥
  • dante財閥

財閥

• The Connection
  • France

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:04 AM

I don't think that was the case tbh. I think they were just stoned and taking it in. 

Banks.
  • Banks.

#AONLIU

• The Yardies
  • Colombia
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

Sorry for the double.

Listening through Rick Ross's 'Mastermind' again, I've come to the conclusion that 'Nobody' is probably my favourite Ross song to date.

He does the Diddy beat and Biggie flow justice. He's dealing with serious subjects,  reaffirming that he's not one dimensional,  and French Montana is a great singer.  Any time French sings, I'm all for it, but I don't like anything else about his music.

I'm sorry I just can't take Rick Ross seriously :lol:

• Fleckz likes this

dante財閥
  • dante財閥

財閥

• The Connection
  • France

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

You should, Rick Ross has made some absolute bangers. 

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

testube
  • testube

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

Substance Abuse feat. KRS-One "Rear View" remix by Kutmasta Kurt

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=d2fYIB6s_z4

Kippers
  • Kippers

何歳ですか

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:00 PM Edited by Kippers, 24 April 2014 - 10:01 PM.

Sorry for the double.

I'm sorry I just can't take Rick Ross seriously :lol:

I'd mostly agree but I like what he did with this, which admittedly was just change the lyrics. Lol. But I can't deny, he was a good choice for it.

Eminem!
  • Eminem!

Mr Massacre

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

Any Dr Dre fans here?

If so, you might like this

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

Can someone tell me the name of the first song of this video?

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Dump 2016

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:04 AM Edited by Tacymist, 27 April 2014 - 07:07 AM.

#CamoGang by Tony E.

dat ass btw

• gtamann123 likes this

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Lend me 10 and I'll buy you a drink.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

It seems like British rap is on the up and up. With things like High Focus Records bringing out loads of good, unknown UK rappers and SBTV giving unsigned and amateur rappers a chance, I hope this keeps going.

I've been loving the more chilled rap recently, stuff like Nujabes and Cyne.

dante財閥
  • dante財閥

財閥

• The Connection
  • France

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

It seems like British rap is on the up and up. With things like High Focus Records bringing out loads of good, unknown UK rappers and SBTV giving unsigned and amateur rappers a chance, I hope this keeps going.

I've been loving the more chilled rap recently, stuff like Nujabes and Cyne.

I always thought UK Rap's best days were behind them. I remember a time of the Terra Firma, Klashnekoff and Jehst. It was sort of over taken fairly quickly by Grime and then whoever crossed over into the UK charts, like Chipmunk etc. 

Logic301
  • Logic301

Logic.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

Alright don't shoot me for my list lol

(not ranking fav rappers, just cats that I listen to)

1 Eminem :panic:

2 Jay Z

3 Nas

4 Tupac

5 Biggie :panic:

6 Hopsin  :panic:

7 MGK (Though, this was a phase, dude is pretty whack)

8 Also had a small Riff Raff period, just mindless rap.

9 Wu-tang clan (Meth is amazing)

10 Method Man

11 Red Man

12 Logic(!!) :panic:  :panic:

Verdant
  • Verdant

Boomshine Blowout

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

I'm really looking forward to hearing Logic's Debut Album which should be dropping in a couple months. The album is going to be a story about what it was like for him when he was poor, what was he doing when he skipped school etc etc.

Here's an interview:

dante財閥
  • dante財閥

財閥

• The Connection
  • France

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:08 PM

Haven't heard Logic's name in a long ass time.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:54 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 30 April 2014 - 07:55 AM.

Looking forward to catching Jurassic 5 and Outkast this summer and I'm might be getting a ticket to see Public Enemy too. This green Island isn't the worst place for having good artists over, thank f*ck. 

• Verdant and Mick. like this

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

fkyou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

My sister raps. :D here she is:

• Souths CraZe likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users