Photo

Official Rap and Hip Hop Topic

10,082 replies to this topic
countrymike84
  • countrymike84

honky tonker

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

I heard a rap song on the radio wishing it was on Radio Los Santos.. by some guy named Yo Gotti.

Kippers
  • Kippers

おっぱいは好きで

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:37 PM Edited by Kippers, 14 October 2013 - 09:44 PM.

6 minutes for fire. That instrumental though, It's gunna take some getting used to because it's so absolutely not Eminem. But then at around the 4 minute mark he mentions something about people being trapped in a 2004 time warp (from my 1 play through) so he's very self aware about this.

Actually, it's a very interesting track in regards to his subject matter... 

• Tyler likes this

ManOfDisguise
  • ManOfDisguise

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

Me and my (skype) friend got into a wordfight when i said eminem is one of the best rappers ever and he told me that he has terrible flow, lyrics, the beats are terrible in his songs and im like wtf? Eminem has really inspirational music with amazing lyrics and some of the best flow ever. His voice is really original too. Not to mention most lists of best rappers put in him in at least the top 10. Hell the guy on skype said that DRAKE is better. DAFUQ??? LOLOLOLOLOL

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

Eminem is obviously one of the best, no argument there, although I prefer his old stuff.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

Same here, not a huge fan of Relapse and Recovery.

I Hate CACs
  • I Hate CACs

#1 GTA Forums Member

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:01 PM Edited by I Hate CACs, 15 October 2013 - 07:02 PM.

Eminem is corny and cringeworthy. Dude CAN rap but his music is still corny as f*ck. And I agree with your friend, Drake's 3 albums are better than the sh*t Eminem has been putting out post-The Eminem Show.

The only people who still dickride Eminem these days are naive white kids lol

• Cosmic Gypsy likes this

I Hate CACs
  • I Hate CACs

#1 GTA Forums Member

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:04 PM Edited by I Hate CACs, 15 October 2013 - 07:06 PM.

MMLP 2 = watered down mix of MMLP and Recovery. sh*t does not mesh well at all. Stopped listening to that cornball after Eminem Show anyway.

inb4 I get swarmed by a bunch of angsty elitist white boys

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

Can we not mention Drake? Like ever again?

Glenn.
  • Glenn.

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:21 PM Edited by Glenn., 15 October 2013 - 10:24 PM.

Im white and anybody here or who knows me would tell you I don't particularly have much interest for eminem. :( Why.

Its pritty funny with Game. I think we all saw that coming. Smart money move but how long will they last? Lil Wanye and Gucci are f*cked up off the Lean now anyway.

Oh yeah young buck is out by the way, he released a track, haven't listened to it yet. Going to bump eminem now, cus all us white boyz are such stans. ;)

Did I mention im a major Quik and Snoop fan? 

I like the eminem song, its one of them you kinda have to give time. Its like tryig to go from Biggie to Danny Brown, its just so unorthodox. 

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Unfortunate that you don't want to recognize one of the more relevant people in the rap scene, who can also sing pretty well. 

On the Eminem thing: I think the guy is important to hip-hop but I can't really get into him nowadays. Some of his songs really hit the sweet spot for me but by and large I just don't get a kick out of listening to the guy. Also, how does one have an original voice, and why is that an indicator of musical skill?

I Hate CACs
  • I Hate CACs

#1 GTA Forums Member

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

Can we not mention Drake? Like ever again?

f*ck off hipster.

blah blah blah

I like the eminem song, its one of them you kinda have to give time. Its like tryig to go from Biggie to Danny Brown, its just so unorthodox. 

Danny Brown and Gucci >>

Kippers
  • Kippers

おっぱいは好きで

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:32 AM Edited by Kippers, 16 October 2013 - 12:34 AM.

Nothing wrong with Drake on my end either.  I've always been a little reluctant when his albums have dropped, but they grow on me. He sounds good.

I wouldn't say Eminem's voice is original, but it's definitely perhaps more immediately recognisable than some.

Cash Money are building an empire. They've grabbed everyone. Holy cow. (Not a negative thing)

• Tyler likes this

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

If you show me just how good a rapper Drake is then I'll gladly f*ck off.

KaRzY6
  • KaRzY6

♧ Sick Kunt ♤

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

What's everyone's thoughts on Aussie Hip Hop? I wouldn't know, but I doubt any of this music would get out of this country. Hilltop Hoods and Bliss n Eso are kind of worldwide, but I'm talking about the underground sh*t.

I personally used to hate this sh*t and went more for the artists like Tupac and 50 Cent. But let's face it, Tupac isn't going to produce any more songs and I'm not warming up to 50's new sh*t. And this Aussie stuff started becoming a real hit among this new generation. So I've got into it a fair bit in recent months.

Here's some of the one's I like:

Complete: http://www.youtube.com/user/MCMAYCH (recommend Humpty Dumpty & Blood Stained Nikes)

Kerser: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKERSER (recommend Nowhere To Go, The Motto and Thank You)

Cheap Sober: http://www.youtube.com/user/cheapsober (his song "Evil Bitch" is good http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7-LBGKM9UIY)

Drapht: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-464xiq4Jt8

Matty Lincoln: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=g9k5ssPAGnk (Party Music)

Fortay: http://www.youtube.c...FORTAYATLARGETV (Recommend "Come Smoke With Me")

Rates: (On Kerser's channel)

Savo: http://www.youtube.com/user/savobaby (Recommend "f*ck's Going On)

But there's also one's like Hilltop Hoods, 360, Bliss n Eso and Bias B that you maybe heard of.

Anyway, give these a listen if you're not Australian and you might like them. Try listen to them all, because they are all different.

Post your thoughts.

I Hate CACs
  • I Hate CACs

#1 GTA Forums Member

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

is ya quote button broken, cac?

LyricsMode
  • LyricsMode

Winter Hill MC

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

Not much of a fan of Recovery, Relapse, or Encore, but the older stuff (as you guys mentioned) definitely was better. Rap God was 6 minutes of pure fire and even other rappers are reacting to it as so, and I needed a sig so...yeah.

Also, Drake in my opinion is a great rap/rNb artist, definitely not for straight hip hop fans.

• Kippers likes this

I Hate CACs
  • I Hate CACs

#1 GTA Forums Member

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:48 PM Edited by I Hate CACs, 16 October 2013 - 09:49 PM.

lol nvm delete this post I would anger the sensitive people if I left it the way it was 

Kippers
  • Kippers

おっぱいは好きで

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:18 AM Edited by Kippers, 17 October 2013 - 12:23 AM.

Not much of a fan of Recovery, Relapse, or Encore,

Recovery made me appreciate Encore a lot more because it was the last time he sounded, for the most part, like 'old Eminem' i.e. not shouting etc...I get tired of Recovery past Spacebound - minus So Bad and Untitled.

Relapse has some of his most enjoyable and imaginative word play possibly ever. It was at the tail end of his addiction, and his creative mind had probably hit its peak.

Rap God's kinda getting back to it.

• Tyler and LyricsMode like this

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

Recovery made me appreciate Encore a lot more because it was the last time he sounded, for the most part, like 'old Eminem' i.e. not shouting etc...I get tired of Recovery past Spacebound - minus So Bad and Untitled.

Relapse has some of his most enjoyable and imaginative word play possibly ever. It was at the tail end of his addiction, and his creative mind had probably hit its peak.

People who don't let go of the past f*ck up progress. I really liked Recovery, but with so many Em fans crying about the old Em, it seems that he's trying to please a near sited group of people. Don't get me wrong I love his old Albums too, but I'm all about growth.

Most people think Jay-Z should go back to his Reasonable Doubt days, but if he stayed the same we wouldn't have gotten The Blueprint, Black Album, and American Gangster.

Even artist like Nas have grown. He used to have a hardcore bar for bar type flow, but now he's more creative with his rhyme schemes.

• Kippers and I Hate CACs like this

Kippers
  • Kippers

おっぱいは好きで

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:56 AM Edited by Kippers, 18 October 2013 - 01:16 AM.

People who don't let go of the past f*ck up progress. I really liked Recovery, but with so many Em fans crying about the old Em, it seems that he's trying to please a near sited group of people. Don't get me wrong I love his old Albums too, but I'm all about growth.

Most people think Jay-Z should go back to his Reasonable Doubt days, but if he stayed the same we wouldn't have gotten The Blueprint, Black Album, and American Gangster.

Even artist like Nas have grown. He used to have a hardcore bar for bar type flow, but now he's more creative with his rhyme schemes.

With artists maturing - which i'm all for - it means a lot of their old subjects disappear. For Eminem it would be Kim, his mum, joking about doing excessive drugs blah blah blah, for Jay it's Marcy Projects, being a street hustler, growing up rough blah blah blah. The things that initially grabbed everyone's attention. Those are really interesting subjects which everyone misses to an extent, but some take it to an extreme, for sure...But of course, it would grow tiresome if now 8 or 13 albums in they were still going on about those things, especially when that isn't their life anymore ('My Mom' on Relapse was definitely a stretch).

Jay Z's all about his artistic influences now - which is probably Kanye's doing - and Em's life is pretty peachy relative to his Infinite-Eminem Show days. Notice that up until Recovery he never once really bragged about how good he was, but now that's his main talking point. 

I think all three of those artists you mentioned were better back in the day, but I'll still buy an Eminem, Jay Z or Nas album as soon as it drops, because they still provide a certain quality that's hard to find, regardless of subject. In fact, 'Life Is Good' is Nas' best piece of work in a while in both production and narrative. It's still on regular rotation for me and I wouldn't be surprised if it finds a cult status a few years down the line. 

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

Nothing like San Andreas nostalgia, eh? Personally, for me 90's rap is still the best:

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Louis van Gaal's red and white army!

• Members
  • British-Antarctic-Territory
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

Nothing like San Andreas nostalgia, eh? Personally, for me 90's rap is still the best:

It sure is.

Anybody hear Top Dawg BET Cypher? Kendrick, Jay Rock, Ab-Soul, Schoolboy and Rashad all killed it. Good sh*t.

Glenn.
  • Glenn.

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:14 AM Edited by Glenn., 19 October 2013 - 01:16 AM.

Kool G Rap is extremely underrated. I think if you like Eazy-E and all of that west coast gangsta rap, you should check out the song, "Road to Riches, you would like it.

I know it. He is underrated. I have his book.

@Tommy Yeah! Jay Rock went in hard too. I was hoping somebody else would steal the show. But Kendricks naturally hogging the limelight now.

TheBlackPeterParker.
  • TheBlackPeterParker.

616 Hero.

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:02 PM Edited by TheBlackPeterParker., 19 October 2013 - 10:08 PM.

Eminem is corny and cringeworthy. Dude CAN rap but his music is still corny as f*ck. And I agree with your friend, Drake's 3 albums are better than the sh*t Eminem has been putting out post-The Eminem Show.

The only people who still dickride Eminem these days are naive white kids lol

Pretty much. RapGod was good compared to his latest stuff, but ya.....

I don't really consider Eazy a rapper, mostly because most, if not all, of his rhymes were written, but he was a great business man.

Have you guys ever get into Childish Gambino? He dropped a new song last week from his new album, this dude is crazy.

Goodfellas
  • Goodfellas

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:55 AM

Eminem is one of the greatest of all time, there's no denying that. He's not only made it as one of the first if not THE first white rapper to come onto the big stage, but more or less dominated a genre of music which had always been dominated by blacks.

It's a shame in a way though, because his music over the years has more or less dropped in class simply because he moved further and further away from the hip hop scene and moved towards the rap and sometimes even RnB scene.

If you listen to his album from I think 1996; Infinite... it's one of the best albums of all time for me.

Real hip hop and the multiple rhyming and word play is out of this world.

By far his best album IMO.

Please, get yourselves onto youtube, and watch one of the lyric videos for either 'Infinite' or 'Tonight'.

In regards to real hip hop, all the stuff on the radio these days are not it. Cise Starr (Cyne), Jurassic 5, Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, Nujabes, Blue Scholars, Common Market etc. are some of my favourites.

And no, Lil Wayne and Drake etc are NOT hip hop whether you like it or not.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

is ya quote button broken, cac?

Drake isn't a good rapper. Don't be hurt by the truth.

ShaolinMaster
  • ShaolinMaster

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

Anyone here likes Wu-Tang?

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

Me! I'm a massive Wu fan :^:

ShaolinMaster
  • ShaolinMaster

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

Nice. What is your favourite Wu member, mine is probably ODB.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Nice. What is your favourite Wu member, mine is probably ODB.

Has to go to GZA. I adore his skill on the mic and Liquid Swords is probably my favorite hip-hop album of all time. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users