Photo

Official Rap and Hip Hop Topic

9,595 replies to this topic
Steven Ride
  • Steven Ride

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (I So Brink @ Friday, Jun 21 2013, 15:13)
The quality that Eminem puts out fluctuations a lot for me. The Slim Shady LP and some of his recent stuff is pretty much gold, but he has a lot of lame ducks too. I had to listen to Infinite for an assignment I did at uni (it covered hip-hop as part of pop-culture, some stuff about appropriation wrt race and stuff like that) and, oh boy, it's just dire. A lot of people put out weak stuff when they're just starting out, it's only natural, but how Dre saw all the potential in the guy who made that I don't know!

Eh, the title track on that release is pretty good. Dre probably saw that he was lyrically strong I think.

Kippers
  • Kippers

Project 2501

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:51 PM Edited by kippers., 21 June 2013 - 09:03 PM.

He was rhyming like almost no one else was when he was selling Infinite from the boot of his car. (I hear AZ was a big influence). Granted, he rhymes everything together a little too much, so on some songs it gets a little OTT, but obviously Dre was right to see something potentially big once a little direction was added to the delivery; a gut instinct? And I still think he's been the most controversial and exciting thing in hip hop for the past 15 years. I just can't think of anyone that interesting coming out since.

Anyone heard the Eminem verse from a song titled 'Symphony in H'? It's being put out on the Tony Touch tape 'The Piece Maker 3'. Now the instumental on that is terrible in my opinion, but his lyrics still have fire. Though i'm starting to wish he could find something new to tell us about himself.

Unfortunately Adam_, he's still Recovery shouting. And likely will do on his 8th album, but it's better than whatever sh*t he was trying to pull on 50's 'My Life'

In fact, this compared to his other Tony Touch collab from waaay waaay way back, is a good side by side of how his rapping has completely changed...

And R.A is amazing. His new album is top 5 of this year's drops for me.

InstantCClassic
  • InstantCClassic

Gatorade me, b*tch.

• Members

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

I miss Dilla.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

Slightly Rectified

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (Adam_ @ Friday, Jun 21 2013, 13:35)
Yeah Eminem is good. Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP are both classics. Aside from those two though there's only a handful of other songs by him that I like. I can't stand his shouty voice that he does nowadays either.

This. icon14.gif

I honestly think that he was pigeon-holed into becoming a poppy sensation (like he said in The Way I Am, which is unbelievably ironic) with Relapse and Refill. I tried listening to both and it made me sick just listening to him pander to this generation with the whole "i'm clean and i'm sorry" every five seconds. Not to mention the fact that he collaborated with Lil Wayne and Rihanna. Maybe that's just me though.

Kippers
  • Kippers

Project 2501

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (mr6plow9 @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 00:07)
Yeah Eminem is good. Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP are both classics. Aside from those two though there's only a handful of other songs by him that I like. I can't stand his shouty voice that he does nowadays either.

This. icon14.gif

I honestly think that he was pigeon-holed into becoming a poppy sensation (like he said in The Way I Am, which is unbelievably ironic) with Relapse and Refill. I tried listening to both and it made me sick just listening to him pander to this generation with the whole "i'm clean and i'm sorry" every five seconds. Not to mention the fact that he collaborated with Lil Wayne and Rihanna. Maybe that's just me though.

You mean Recovery right?

Relapse and the extra Refill songs were so, so far away from pandering to any mainstream audiences.

In that case, true, true.

I actually found Relapse much more appealing once Recovery came out. Don't know why.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (kippers. @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 10:56)
QUOTE (mr6plow9 @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 00:07)

This. icon14.gif

You mean Recovery right?

Relapse and the extra Refill songs were so, so far away from pandering to any mainstream audiences.

In that case, true, true.

I actually found Relapse much more appealing once Recovery came out. Don't know why.

As much as I love Eminem, I have to agree, a lot of my friends feel the same way, he got older and kinda child friendly, it's weird.

I still like a lot of his stuff now though, notable examples being; - which you mentioned him being a bit of a sell-out - Love The Way you Lie, You can't deny Rihanna's vocals in that song are pretty awesome, and Eminem actually makes a pretty deep song about relationships which kinda hits home a little bit, listen to the song like I did just then and listen to the lyrics and you will see some value in it even if it is Sappy.

Not afraid is the other notable example, again it was hit song so perhaps in many people's eyes it loses value for that, but Not Afraid was really really good, it is motivational, it talks about life, it talks about worries, change, the thoughts that swirl around in your head. The love for his fans part is a little bit gay (for lack of a better word ) but honestly that is a good song.

I also really like his verses in My Life, I don't know the lyrics well enough to talk about it properly though, 50 Cent's rhymes in that are f*cking awesome though, not something I see from him often.

I still believe today that Eminem is one of the best lyricists that has stood around, to a point I feel he is a lyrical genius of rap, the puns he makes sometimes are so insanely clever, and he is also a freestyle king, I have never seen someone freestyle so fluidly, sure some of it is probably rehearsed but it comes together really really well, it still takes someone with some great talent to do that. He's also a pretty damn good actor, and 8Mile was a brilliant movie in general, Eminem is a superstar, but I love how he doesn't sell-out totally, he still raps for the most part, he could be out making movies or something, or endorsing sh*tty people everyday, but he doesn't, and he is really mature about how he behaves, which is a good thing for rap, it's always had a bad...rap haha, I also believe Eminem is largely responsible for bringing rap into the charts, he has had several number one hits time after time and has paved the way for others to do the same, there is so much less stigma, hell I have had my cranky as f*ck grandparents try out Eminem, I also like how his hair isn't a sh*tty bleach blonde anymore either.

Eminem is the GREATEST rapper ever, he ain't the best, but he is the greatest, I don't see anyone like him ever surfacing ever again, there won't be another guy like him who has to struggle through crazy hate for being white, makes original as f*ck rhymes, is awesome at freestyling, doesn't sell out, is in movies, made rap mainstream, and has been around for so long without becoming total sh*te.

Anyway, here is what I came here for originally, a 50 minute hip hop mix with a 90's like Vibe, it's really really good to put on and just do other sh*t, I suggest you guys trying it, just have it sitting in the background while you clean. I hate posting songs you have to sit and listen to because I know I don't like having to click onto youtube and listen to something for a few minutes at a time, mixes are the best, just listen to it roll in the background for a time, not every song is good, but it doesn't matter because like at the club or playing GTA, it's background music, the songs that stand out are brilliant and you listen, the rest just mulls over. anyway here's the mix.

And down here are a couple good Eminem things, here's a nice freestyle from a few years back, along with some rad-ass rap battles.

I'm pretty sure this first one is legit, they had Lil Wayne and Drake in the same studio, and he was absolutely awful, Eminem killed it though.

Here's the Shady 2.0 cypher, it's not freestyle, but Eminems 2 minute straight rap at the end on stage is brilliant, and harkens back to his old raps, it's really good

Here is another freestyle, any word freestyle, this is actually incredible, doesn't sound scripted in the slighest

And here is Eminem in a Rap battle, he is f*cking ripping sh*t up, this is pure gold, it's pretty similar to the 8Mile rap at the end, except this ain't scripted.

And if you're quoting anything, sorry about the color tags, just ignore them haha. Also slim shady LP are good, and Marshall Mathers LP, but his older stuff was awesome as well, Soul Intent I really like, personal preference though.

Glenn.
  • Glenn.

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 02:43)

[color=ffe7ba]
Eminem is the GREATEST rapper ever, he ain't the best, but he is the greatest, I don't see anyone like him ever surfacing ever again, there won't be another guy like him who has to struggle through crazy hate for being white, makes original as f*ck rhymes, is awesome at freestyling, doesn't sell out, is in movies, made rap mainstream, and has been around for so long without becoming total sh*te.

I have to disagree, not because its Eminem, but I hate when people come out and say: `Hes the Greatest!` No matter what rapper. Its not sport, and certainly the amount of records sold shouldn't be used as a score board. However I agree, I love him and he is one of my favourite. He fought for what was his and is dominating Hip Hop to a degree. Im not sure about making it mainstream however, but I see where your coming from, he has opened doors to White Rap fans.

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE (Glenn. @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 14:18)

[color=ffe7ba]

I have to disagree, not because its Eminem, but I hate when people come out and say: `Hes the Greatest!` No matter what rapper. Its not sport, and certainly the amount of records sold shouldn't be used as a score board. However I agree, I love him and he is one of my favourite. He fought for what was his and is dominating Hip Hop to a degree. Im not sure about making it mainstream however, but I see where your coming from, he has opened doors to White Rap fans.

Haha fair enough, sorry dude, i'm still a little drunk from last night so I'm talking a bit of sh*t haha, I kinda mean that he helped made it mainstream, not the sole cause.

Glenn.
  • Glenn.

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 03:23)
QUOTE (Glenn. @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 14:18)

[color=ffe7ba]

Haha fair enough, sorry dude, i'm still a little drunk from last night so I'm talking a bit of sh*t haha, I kinda mean that he helped made it mainstream, not the sole cause.

Oh no, its cool bro. I mean I was trying to attack your opinion. I mean its great you feel like that about the guy, your a good fan and probably could have some great Rap conversations with. biggrin.gif

Ascer
  • Ascer

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

new single from Booba

and spanish song I just discovered

somebody teach me how to embed videos hahah

Glenn.
  • Glenn.

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Ascer @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 18:33)
new single from Booba

and spanish song I just discovered

somebody teach me how to embed videos hahah

CODE
[youtube]Everything after the v= (So basicly the code[/youtube]

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

M.I.A is kinda hip-hop right?

She dropped the video for her latest single. It's her first release in over a year since Bad Girls, which had, in my opinion at least, the best video I saw all of last year.

Bring the Noize's video isn't anywhere near as good but the song's still solid. And holy sh*t does she look good with that pink hair.

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

Can anyone recomend any specific Tech N9ne songs?

I have Get Blowed, T9X, Everybody Move, Caribou Lou and the entire All 6's and 7's album.

Kippers
  • Kippers

Project 2501

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:43 AM Edited by kippers., 29 June 2013 - 11:45 AM.

three that sprang to mind immediately

Absolute Power:

Here Comes Tecca Nina:

Trapped in a Psycho's Body:

They're all inadvertantly from his Absolute Power album, which is worth a full listen

ED: Bonus track

Klusterfuk:

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

being a fag since '07

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

<3

I like to think I've moved on from the "so in love with an ex" stage that I was in 18 months ago, but listening to this makes me nostalgic in the best of ways you know? accepting that what ever has happened is done and living with it.

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Any of you guys into Flatbush Zombies?

I just started getting into these guys and I'm loving what I hear from em. Kind of sucks they only have the one mixtape but they're most recent single, Palm Trees sounds like some promising stuff.

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

may His darkness be your light

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (corvettelover @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 19:59)
Can anyone recomend any specific Tech N9ne songs?

I have Get Blowed, T9X, Everybody Move, Caribou Lou and the entire All 6's and 7's album.

only true fans can appriciate these XXX tracks...

and my theme song of course...

MadClownBadDub
  • MadClownBadDub

Gampo

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (Claude4Catalina @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 12:24)

<3

I like to think I've moved on from the "so in love with an ex" stage that I was in 18 months ago, but listening to this makes me nostalgic in the best of ways you know? accepting that what ever has happened is done and living with it.

Happy to see another Atmosphere/Rhymesayers fan here. The Number One is a favorite for remembering all the lovely ladies I've had the pleasure of knowing to. Love your sig bro. Modern Man's Hustle by Atmosphere is my favorite song ever, and Daylight is my second. Both underground classics.

Surprised you gentleman haven't been discussing Mac Miller's new album-- I absolutely detested Blue Slide Park but Watching Movies With The Sound Off is f*cking amazing. Easily one of the best albums of the year. It even topped Yeezus, in my opinion, as it is a badass, full twenty song experience; whereas Yeezus is a ten song album that barely clocks in at sixty minutes. And I really liked Yeezus. Here's my two favorite tracks off of Watching Movies:

Objects in the Mirror: Great collaboration with another favorite band of mine; The Internet from Odd Future.

S.D.S.: Fun, blunted out song to cruise and cause trouble to.

All in all, I'd give the album a 9/10, and I highly recommend you guys check it out.

Edit: Forgot to mention, S.D.S. is produced by Flying Lotus, who, if the rumblings in the V section are to be believed; is going to have his own radio station in GTA V!

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:59 AM Edited by Trinette, 02 July 2013 - 02:01 AM.

Anyone listen to Jedi Mind Tricks, Hieroglyphics, or The Underachievers here? They're some of my favorite rap artists and have really opened me up to the rap genre more in the last couple of years. ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Gotta love this bit at 0:54. Beautiful.

Steven Ride
  • Steven Ride

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

The Underachievers are awesome. The entire "Beastcoast" movement in NY right now is great. A$AP Mob, The Underachievers, Flatbush Zombies, Pro Era...all good sh*t.

Ascer
  • Ascer

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

anyone knows a site like worldstarhiphop/hiphopdx and such for french hip hop? spanish too maybe

Glenn.
  • Glenn.

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (Adam_ @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 02:04)
The Underachievers are awesome. The entire "Beastcoast" movement in NY right now is great. A$AP Mob, The Underachievers, Flatbush Zombies, Pro Era...all good sh*t.

True, it has a real drugged up feel to it. Its amazing.

@Ascer: Not sure man. My French friend was into rap. He gave me the name of the Hardcore station but it was nearly/ or was, last year.

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

Boss

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

For any who is interested in Jay-Z's new album. Only just started listening to it myself so will give my opinion later icon14.gif

Kippers
  • Kippers

Project 2501

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

I'll probably give that a listen later, but i'm certainly buying it on the 8th. I'm far more excited for MCHG than I was for Yeezus. Jay's little studio videos went real meta analytical on the album, and that has been a far more appealing marketing strategy. icon14.gif

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 19:23)
Any of you guys into Flatbush Zombies?

I just started getting into these guys and I'm loving what I hear from em. Kind of sucks they only have the one mixtape but they're most recent single, Palm Trees sounds like some promising stuff.

I've been listening to them a bit as well, I heard them on a recent Wu Tang track I think, they're good, remind me of Pro Era, these guys are bringing back that 90's vibe.

Mr.Mordecai
  • Mr.Mordecai

To be, or not to be. That is the question.

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

I thought this song was pretty dope with Earl and my nigga RiFF.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Kendrick Lamar is really great. I downloaded Section 80 and good kid, m.A.A.d city. Very lyrical.

higherprimate
  • higherprimate

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

I loved magna carta holy grail

cbiscuit93
  • cbiscuit93

Pink Bandana

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Mordecai @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 09:41)
I thought this song was pretty dope with Earl and my nigga RiFF.

I thought that song was pretty bad when I first heard it.
Earl is one of the best out right now imo but that song was pretty poor.

The hook is annoying as hell.

Benzoboy
  • Benzoboy

Like Ronnyboy, but better.

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users