Photo

Official Rap and Hip Hop Topic

12,330 replies to this topic
mateo83
  • mateo83

Yay Area

• The Connection

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:41 PM

Dre used to have a hard time recording easy cuz he would have a hard time staying on beat.Ren and Cube wrote most of his raps.Easy put Compton on the map and made gangsta rap popular but Ice T was the first."Squeeze The Trigga" and raps around that time were popular to.And that was before easy.Big was dope as f*ck.Great delivery and voice.AND HIS CONTENT WAS NICE TO.bUT IT IS KNOWN THAT bIG LISTENED TO ALOT OF kING t.wHICH IS WHERE bIG GOT HIS FLOW AND DELIVERY FROM....THERE REAL SIMULIAR.dIDDY HAS SAID THAT AS WELL AS bIG....Why was my caps on...

All-Blacks
  • All-Blacks

• Members

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:42 PM Edited by All-Blacks, 15 March 2007 - 11:48 PM.

Ice-T is the father of Gangsta Rap, N.W.A. (and the solo careers of Ice Cube, Eazy-E, Dr. Dre) merely just popularised it. No doubt Eazy-E was a great rapper, but like 2Pac and Biggie, he was overrated (still one of my fav. though, f*ck Dre. Real Muthaphuckkin G's smile.gif ). While we're on Dre, listen to this Osama Bin Laden - f*ck Dr. Dre and Eminem (Diss) Rap Video tounge.gif .

Edit: .Mateo. beat me, grrrrr mad.gif .

Vito Leone
  • Vito Leone

$$h for life.

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:02 AM

Ice T was actually very popular, and thanks for that boogs. But the real father of gangsta rap is Schooly D, which's flow is very sampled by eazy on Boyz N Tha Hood.

Many rappers out there, are great lyricists, but have hard time producing real flows. You just dont see sh*t like the golden era nowadays. it's more of a R&B sh*t now.

That pisses me off. And the good rappers arent mainstream. sucks.

check out this rap here mateo, you're gonna like it.

mateo83
  • mateo83

Yay Area

• The Connection

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:37 AM

I ce T came first I think....But Schooly was dope..."Parkside 5-2" is one of my favorites....Can yall do me a favore and register over at famecast.net and vote for Fresh Boogie....thats my group.Our video is what your voting on.Tryin to get to the next round.Started at top 50,got voted to top 25 now i'm tryin to get to top 10 i think.....good looks yall....

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:57 AM

Best flow I've ever heard is anything Aesop has done, Fast Cars is overrated, Basic Cable is my personal favorite track.

Vito Leone
  • Vito Leone

$$h for life.

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (.Mateo. @ Mar 16 2007, 01:37)
I ce T came first I think....But Schooly was dope..."Parkside 5-2" is one of my favorites....Can yall do me a favore and register over at famecast.net and vote for Fresh Boogie....thats my group.Our video is what your voting on.Tryin to get to the next round.Started at top 50,got voted to top 25 now i'm tryin to get to top 10 i think.....good looks yall....

nah mateo, I saw an interview that Ice T said Schooly D inspired him to do 6 n tha mornin' with Schooly's song, "P.D.K."

But still, ice kicked with the film Colors.

mateo83
  • mateo83

Yay Area

• The Connection

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:18 PM

Ice T released the "Coldest Rap" in 1982.....Schooly D came in 1984.

Vito Leone
  • Vito Leone

$$h for life.

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (wikipedia)
In 1987,Angeles-based rapper Ice-T released "6 n the Mornin", which is often regarded as the first gangsta rap song. Ice-T had been MCing since the early '80s; his first song, "The Coldest Rap", was the first hiphop song to use the words ho and nigga, and included references to guns and pimping.

In an interview with PROPS magazine Ice-T said: "Here's the exact chronological order of what really went down: The first record that came out along those lines was Schoolly D's 'P.S.K.' Then the syncopation of that rap was used by me when I made Six In The Morning. The vocal delivery was the same: '...P.S.K. is makin' that green', '...six in the morning, police at my door'. When I heard that record I was like "Oh sh*t!" and call it a bite or what you will but I dug that record. My record didn't sound like P.S.K., but I liked the way he was flowing with it. P.S.K. was talking about Park Side Killers but it was very vague. That was the only difference, when Schoolly did it, it was "...one by one, I'm knockin' em out". All he did was represent a gang on his record. I took that and wrote a record about guns, beating people down, and all that with Six In The Morning. At the same time my single came out, Boogie Down Productions hit with Criminal Minded, which was a gangster-based album. It wasn't about messages or "You Must Learn", it was about gangsterism."

gundypiru
  • gundypiru

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

It's true Ice T was one of the first gangsta rappers out there, but when it comes to old school... Eric B. and Rakim, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5... You got to admit, they pretty much pioneered rap. Also, I hate how now all rap is based on bitches and money, grills and cars, and fake ass bustas. No offence to any of the new mainstream rappers but they're all bullsh*t. What happened to real gangsta rap. From the people that were actual gangstas. Most of the brothas out now haven't banged once. I know 9 year olds more gangsta then this. I don't really mind today's rap much, but it makes you think how rap came to be this. Old school gangsta rap beats this anyday. Though I have to admit these new schoolers got some nice beats. biggrin.gif

Gantons Most Wanted
  • Gantons Most Wanted

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:54 PM

Vito you should of called this the Eazy E Topic but anyway the thing is yes Eazy was a great rapper one of my favourates but he didn;t revolutionise anything or make his own sound the album he did dissin Dr Dre and Death Row was entirely based on The G Funk Sound and it was Dre who was the guy who created that sound but i do miss the 90's when Pac was alive and Biggie because with them being such great artists everyone was competing and stepping up there game but now all we have is alot of 2 Pac wannabes like Master P and 50 cent and complete garbage raps hopefully this year the Westcoast will get back on its feet because alot of the Wests artists are dropping there LP's this year but you've gotta give The Game and Snoop for dropping great albums Doctors Advocate symbolised that Game didn;t need no g unit or Dr Dre to sell and Snoops LP was way better than anything he came out with after his 1996's Godfather

jimmy.
  • jimmy.

?

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (gundypiru @ Mar 16 2007, 19:41)
It's true Ice T was one of the first gangsta rappers out there, but when it comes to old school... Eric B. and Rakim, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5... You got to admit, they pretty much pioneered rap. Also, I hate how now all rap is based on bitches and money, grills and cars, and fake ass bustas. No offence to any of the new mainstream rappers but they're all bullsh*t. What happened to real gangsta rap. From the people that were actual gangstas. Most of the brothas out now haven't banged once. I know 9 year olds more gangsta then this. I don't really mind today's rap much, but it makes you think how rap came to be this. Old school gangsta rap beats this anyday. Though I have to admit these new schoolers got some nice beats. biggrin.gif

That's definitely all true. I love old school hip hop. It seems like most rappers were just having fun with rap a lot of the time and saying more with it when they were serious. Grandmaster Flash's The Message was 15 years ago, and that is still the most real rap song to me. If old school rappers were born 10 years later, they'd have to act all pissed off and violent to fit in and sell records. For the past at least 10-15 years, most rap people are shown has been about exactly the same "hard" subject matter, stupid feuds, material wealth, and it's so unoriginal. The beats are good today, though.

^^ Periods are always nice to use, even if it's just a few.

GlockWorkz
  • GlockWorkz

quasimoto = love

• Members

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:46 PM

To be on-topic, but off-topic to what you guys are talking about: Tupac and Biggie are not the greatest, but they are great.

@Gantons Most Wanted: Eazy started a sh*t-load on rap. He's the King of Gangsta Rap, he's great, and he should be respected. I don't care if he did have a ghostwriter, he's still amazing.

But still, not the greatest.

beanmachine43
  • beanmachine43

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:09 PM

I'd have to agree with Ganton when he mentions the '90s because with the beefs and all the feuds that were flaming up, that allowed hip hop to step up with each artist improving on their game. Would you really think that even half of these classic artists we appreciate today would even be remembered if they didn't have beef? For example, Pac was already infamous for his words to the government, and Biggie was doing his own thing on the East Coast. But with them sparking up a feud, the media latched on and never let go. Now, both are dead, but still remembered as some of the GOATs in rap. People around them improved as well, like artists like the Wu-Tang and Nas who tried to shy away from the coast-to-coast rivalry.

Gantons Most Wanted
  • Gantons Most Wanted

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:14 PM

thanks Beanmachine glad somebody see's sence still and how could Eazy of done a sh*t load for Gangsta rap when after N.W.A he only did like and 8 track CD which were disses to the death row camp and then a while before he was diagnosed with Aids he was working on an album but that was just put together badly because it was rushed out so how has he done a sh*t load if 15 tracks is a sh*t load then Dre and Cube must of done a whole lot more

mateo83
  • mateo83

Yay Area

• The Connection

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (Vito Leone @ Mar 16 2007, 09:35)
QUOTE (wikipedia)
In 1987,Angeles-based rapper Ice-T released "6 n the Mornin", which is often regarded as the first gangsta rap song. Ice-T had been MCing since the early '80s; his first song, "The Coldest Rap", was the first hiphop song to use the words ho and nigga, and included references to guns and pimping.

In an interview with PROPS magazine Ice-T said: "Here's the exact chronological order of what really went down: The first record that came out along those lines was Schoolly D's 'P.S.K.' Then the syncopation of that rap was used by me when I made Six In The Morning. The vocal delivery was the same: '...P.S.K. is makin' that green', '...six in the morning, police at my door'. When I heard that record I was like "Oh sh*t!" and call it a bite or what you will but I dug that record. My record didn't sound like P.S.K., but I liked the way he was flowing with it. P.S.K. was talking about Park Side Killers but it was very vague. That was the only difference, when Schoolly did it, it was "...one by one, I'm knockin' em out". All he did was represent a gang on his record. I took that and wrote a record about guns, beating people down, and all that with Six In The Morning. At the same time my single came out, Boogie Down Productions hit with Criminal Minded, which was a gangster-based album. It wasn't about messages or "You Must Learn", it was about gangsterism."

I know Vito.But in 1982 Ice T released the Coldest rap.That was before Schooly D

G MONEY $$$
  • G MONEY $$$

Moneybaggz

• The Connection

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:43 AM

Anybody got the Dretox album? I'm kinda disappointed. Right now the only songs I like from it are "After Life" and "My Life"...and those were released a looong time ago. confused.gif

G MONEY $$$
  • G MONEY $$$

Moneybaggz

• The Connection

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:44 AM

EDIT: Quite n00b-like of me... notify.gif

beanmachine43
  • beanmachine43

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:07 AM

Yeah, I picked it up a while back, though under the impression that Detox would come out some time during my lifetime. tounge.gif Nice mixtape though, some great tracks, and I especially liked Numb/Encore with Jay-Z and Linkin Park.

Vito Leone
  • Vito Leone

$$h for life.

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:12 AM

man detox was a disappointment if you were with your hopes up for an awesome rap album.

I still think there will be no more true rap albums released by mainstream artist like the old days of rapping.

Hip hop has not only become a genre for exclusive people, now its full mainstream and artists like Jedi Mind Tricks are refused to get played by radios, when instead they play Justin Timberlake and 50's sh*t all the time in the radio.

Dre's a fake anyways. why buy his sh*t?

oh and it aint rap no more, kiddies. it's hip hop.

sup Chris.

Platinum.
  • Platinum.

El Dinamita

• Zaibatsu

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

Most people don't have a taste for Jedi Mind Tricks that are not familiar with the sound of hip-hop/rap, I played a few of their songs to some of my mates and they went off on the usual "What the hell is this? I don't even know what he's going on about" stuff. So in fairness, even if it went mainstream, I don't think it would do too well since a lot of people are too ignorant to try it out. It's a shame, but its life. I wish I lived back in the 80s/90s with Yo! MTV Raps and sh*t.

Gantons Most Wanted
  • Gantons Most Wanted

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:12 PM

see Vito your doin it again your stuck in the 90's still as Dre n Eazy or Ruthless vs Death Row is still happenin you've gotta get outta that mentallity Dre is a good production and his 2001 album there were only like 2 tracks i hated on that album and on Eazy's 187Um Killa the only 2 tracks i liked off that was Real Muthaf*ckin G's even though it was a Dre Diss but still and the remix of Boyz In The Hood with Dresta and how is Detox a dissapointment Vito its not even been released yet that was only a mixtape and if it does aswell or has the similar sound to 2001 and some appearences from Hittman and other Westcoast acts i think it'll be a successful album but if hes gonna spoil it by puttin 50 on it then thats his work down the toilet

Vito Leone
  • Vito Leone

$$h for life.

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:52 PM

dude, i sincerly dont call any of these albums released after pac's Better Dayz, rap albums.

Hard beats arent even there anymore. Mainstream artists dont even rap to the beat. They rap to R&B songs, with techno/electro beats.

When will we see an album like Better Dayz again? Never.

GlockWorkz
  • GlockWorkz

quasimoto = love

• Members

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (Platinum. @ Mar 17 2007, 11:21)
Most people don't have a taste for Jedi Mind Tricks that are not familiar with the sound of hip-hop/rap, I played a few of their songs to some of my mates and they went off on the usual "What the hell is this? I don't even know what he's going on about" stuff. So in fairness, even if it went mainstream, I don't think it would do too well since a lot of people are too ignorant to try it out. It's a shame, but its life. I wish I lived back in the 80s/90s with Yo! MTV Raps and sh*t.

Yeah. Everyone see's rap as how the commercialized, unreal rappers do it. (I wouldn't say mainstream, Ghostface Killah is mainstream, Lupe Fiasco is mainstream. Many good artists are mainstream, they just convey actual messages in their songs, unlike "LEAN WIT IT, WORK WIT IT" or "CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP".)

Since their mind is already set into what they think is "hip-hop", they won't open their mind to anything else.

Paco
  • Paco

i saw it written and i saw it say

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Vito Leone @ Mar 17 2007, 08:52)
dude, i sincerly dont call any of these albums released after pac's Better Dayz, rap albums.

Hard beats arent even there anymore. Mainstream artists dont even rap to the beat. They rap to R&B songs, with techno/electro beats.

THERE ARE NO TECHNO OR ELECTRO BEATS.

I'm going to kill the next person to mis-use any of those terms. Seriously. And Pac's Better Dayz album blew. Anything posthumously released by Pac blew.

Vito Leone
  • Vito Leone

$$h for life.

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Paco @ Mar 17 2007, 15:00)
QUOTE (Vito Leone @ Mar 17 2007, 08:52)

THERE ARE NO TECHNO OR ELECTRO BEATS.

I'm going to kill the next person to mis-use any of those terms. Seriously. And Pac's Better Dayz album blew. Anything posthumously released by Pac blew.

You blew.

Gantons Most Wanted
  • Gantons Most Wanted

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

Vito u know Paco is right about Better Dayz Until The End Of Time was a posthumous by Pac which was way better than Better Dayz because the guy who did most of the production on it was a close friend of 2 Pac so Vito tell me this mr rap master who is decent then because Eazy E isn;t anything special maybe while he was a life but you make out hes some kind of god all hge was was a Gangsta out to make a quick buck he was a character he never wrote nothin so stop making out hes so great yes he was decent but he wasn;t nothin special when will you learn that and why u sayin Paco blew least hes one of the only people here who seems to things and say things the way they are and your discrediting artists when you probably ain't even heard anything by them well if mainstream rap blows so much why don't you make n album n pitch it to interscope oh no but wait Dres good buddys with interscope n since Dre's a "Busta" and blows you won't be going there oh but what about Koch erm nope not Koch because alot of mainstream artists who you claim to "blow" are signed to oh well looks like any chance of you makin anything just got shot down

jimmy.
  • jimmy.

?

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:39 PM Edited by JIMMY12, 17 March 2007 - 06:01 PM.

QUOTE (Gantons Most Wanted @ Mar 17 2007, 17:12)
Vito u know Paco is right about Better Dayz Until The End Of Time was a posthumous by Pac which was way better than Better Dayz because the guy who did most of the production on it was a close friend of 2 Pac. So, Vito tell me this, mr rap master, who is decent then, because Eazy E isn't anything special? Maybe while he was alive but you make out hes some kind of god all huge. He was a gangsta out to make a quick buck. He was a character and he never wrote anything so stop making out hes so great. Yes, he was decent but he wasn't nothin special. When will you learn that and why u sayin Paco blew? At least hes one of the only people here who seems to things and say things the way they are, and you're discrediting artists when you probably ain't even heard anything by them. Well if mainstream rap blows so much why don't you make an album and pitch it to Interscope. Oh no, but wait Dre's good buddies with Interscope and since Dre's a "Busta" and blows you won't be going there. Oh but what about Koch erm? Nope not Koch because al ot of mainstream artists who you claim to "blow" are signed to. Oh well looks like any chance of you making anything just got shot down.

That looks like one big text message so I translated it to the best of my ability. No need to get so worked up man.

I'm pretty bored with this discussion, so I'll throw this out there. Has anyone ever listened to Rawkus's Soundboming II album? Rawkus was home to Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, Pharoahe Monch, Hi Tek, Kool G Rap, Company Flow, Sir Menelik, Jurassic 5, and the Roots. Most of them are on the album and it as well as El-P, Eminem (back when he was good), Brand Nubian, Prince Paul, Kid Capri, Pete Rock, Marley Marl, Q-Tip, Cocoa Brovaz, and Dilated Peoples. It's from almost 10 years ago, but I still listen to it all the time. The production and rapping are just that good. It's like a who's who of good intelligent East Coast hip hop. You should all check it out if you like that sort of stuff.

mateo83
  • mateo83

Yay Area

• The Connection

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (JIMMY12 @ Mar 17 2007, 09:39)
Vito u know Paco is right about Better Dayz Until The End Of Time was a posthumous by Pac which was way better than Better Dayz because the guy who did most of the production on it was a close friend of 2 Pac. So, Vito tell me this, mr rap master, who is decent then, because Eazy E isn't anything special? Maybe while he was alive but you make out hes some kind of god all huge. He was a gangsta out to make a quick buck. He was a character and he never wrote anything so stop making out hes so great. Yes, he was decent but he wasn't nothin special. When will you learn that and why u sayin Paco blew? At least hes one of the only people here who seems to things and say things the way they are, and you're discrediting artists when you probably ain't even heard anything by them. Well if mainstream rap blows so much why don't you make an album and pitch it to Interscope. Oh no, but wait Dre's good buddies with Interscope and since Dre's a "Busta" and blows you won't be going there. Oh but what about Koch erm? Nope not Koch because al ot of mainstream artists who you claim to "blow" are signed to. Oh well looks like any chance of you making anything just got shot down.

That looks like one big text message so I translated it to the best of my ability. No need to get so worked up man.

I'm pretty bored with this discussion, so I'll throw this out there. Has anyone ever listened to Rawkus's Soundboming II album? Rawkus was home to Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, Pharoahe Monch, Hi Tek, Kool G Rap, Company Flow, Sir Menelik, Jurassic 5, and the Roots. Most of them are on the album and it as well as El-P, Eminem (back when he was good), Brand Nubian, Prince Paul, Kid Capri, Pete Rock, Marley Marl, Q-Tip, Cocoa Brovaz, and Dilated Peoples. It's from almost 10 years ago, but I still listen to it all the time. The production and rapping are just that good. It's like a who's who of good intelligent East Coast hip hop. You should all check it out if you like that sort of stuff.

Is Freestyle Fellwoship On that One...?

mateo83
  • mateo83

Yay Area

• The Connection

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (JIMMY12 @ Mar 17 2007, 09:39)

Is Freestyle Fellwoship On that One...?

jimmy.
  • jimmy.

?

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

They're not on II at least. There are 2 other Sound Bombing that aren't as good, and that I don't listen to as much, but they might be on those.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users