» «
Photo

HELP & QUESTIONS TOPIC

612 replies to this topic
Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:17 AM Edited by Ben, 27 June 2007 - 06:18 AM.

Hmmm, I really wouldn't have a clue confused.gif . I'm trying to get an answer for you, but I can't guarantee anything. Hopefully MM or AK might have some suggestions.

My first impression would be that it was Vista, but I distinctly remember Craig (I'm pretty sure it was Craig - it might have been someone else) saying that LC worked fine on Vista. So yeah - it's obviously something related to the LC files (most likely the launcher/ASI files), but I don't know what exactly.

EDIT - Not sure if it'll do any good, but you could try the ye olde deleting the SET file trick (from GTA LC User Files in your My Documents folder).

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

I deleted the file but the game stopped the same way.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:40 PM Edited by Ben, 27 June 2007 - 10:46 PM.

QUOTE (glenster @ Jun 27 2007, 19:37)
QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 27 2007, 16:17)
QUOTE (glenster @ Jun 27 2007, 11:06)
QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 27 2007, 08:43)
QUOTE (glenster @ Jun 26 2007, 19:35)
Right click gta-lc.exe--it only lets you create a shortcut on the Desktop, not in the folder (?). so I did that then Copied and Pasted it into the folder.  Right click the shortcut and click Properties--the Shortcut tab is already selected and has the target box to change.  (There's a space before -showconfig, right?)  I renamed the shortcut "Show Config."

But when I run the game, I get the VC intro, LC menu (without sound), I try to start the game, get an instant of a loading screen, then a menu that says "gta-vc.exe has stopped working" (?).

I didn't try the two optional audio installations yet.  The word Audio is a different color in the menu, though.

Rightio - thanks for the heads-up about Show Config for Vista. I'll update the readme with that for next time icon14.gif .

I don't think I put the LC intro movie in the download package because I wanted to keep it as small as possible.

I'm not sure why you're not getting any sound though - even if you didn't install the LC SFX, the VC SFX should still play sounds. Does VC work fine for you?

You could take a look at the VC Bugs/Solutions List and see if there's anything on there that might work for LC.

And I'm not sure why the word Audio would be a different colour either confused.gif . Can you post a screenshot please? That's something that either MM or AK might know more about than me.

I tried the different ASI file and different compatibility modes--same
reaction.

VC runs fine.

Here's a screenshot of the word "Audio" a different color and the game not
recognizing the audio hardware.
http://img241.images...moderrorjn7.jpg

Hmmm, I really wouldn't have a clue confused.gif . I'm trying to get an answer for you, but I can't guarantee anything. Hopefully MM or AK might have some suggestions.

My first impression would be that it was Vista, but I distinctly remember Craig (I'm pretty sure it was Craig - it might have been someone else) saying that LC worked fine on Vista. So yeah - it's obviously something related to the LC files (most likely the launcher/ASI files), but I don't know what exactly.

EDIT - Not sure if it'll do any good, but you could try the ye olde deleting the SET file trick (from GTA LC User Files in your My Documents folder).

I deleted the file but the game stopped the same way.

Hmmm. It would make logical sense to me then that the problem is with one of the LC files. What was the last working version you had installed on Vista? I'm hoping it was the last one as that would make it easy to identify which files have changed - from there we could trace the changes and hopefully find out what the problem is.

Also, I'm not sure if it will be helpful or not, but do you know what sound card you're using? You should be able to find out through the device manager, although I'm not sure how to get to it in Vista - in XP, you right click on My Computer and go to properties, and you can access it from the Hardware tab. From there you could try updating your sound drivers, but if you're using Vista, I'm willing to bet they're the most up-to-date version already.

EDIT - Quoted the posts so people can follow the convo onto this page.

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:45 PM

well my sound card has been ok since i first played this mod and i dont run vista so thats not my problem

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (jp245 @ Jun 28 2007, 08:45)
well my sound card has been ok since i first played this mod and i dont run vista so thats not my problem

Obviously not, since that's not what you reported in the Bugs topic.

If you reverted back to the set of files that previously worked for you, there's no reason why they wouldn't be working now because nothing would've changed with them.

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:48 AM Edited by glenster, 29 June 2007 - 05:23 AM.

The last version ran great but it was on Home XP.

The sound card is a Creative Labs Audigy 2.

I might be wrong, but it may have something to do with the Vista Program
Compatibilty Assistant. It detects if an older program is running and changes
how Vista deplos it (XP mode, etc.) or even blocks it.

To change the settings for a program manually, you use the individual program's
Compatibility tab.

I just got the previous version installed. But the audext wasn't working. I
right clicked that file, clicked Properties, and the Compatibility tab. It
didn't work in compatibility mode for Windows XP, so I ran it in compatibility
mode for XP and and ticked the boxes for "Disable Visual Themes,"
"Disabled desktop composition," and "Disable display scaling on high DPI set-
tings" (just on a guess). Then it worked after I menu appeared that said the
Visual Theme reverted to Basic (I usually have Aero, etc., turned on).

So I have the previous version running on Vista except that some of the
sound is missing (intro dialogue except for the 1st thing 8 Ball says, the 1st
mission except for Misty's line....).

The same Compatibility tab gimmick might get the new version on, but I haven't
tried it yet.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:19 AM

Rightio, let me know how it goes. Apparently Windows 98 was the most stable operating system for VC, so you could also try running LC in that compatibility mode (instead of XP).

As for the audio - unless you installed the GTA3 audio, you won't hear any sounds from the cutscenes (except for a couple which were included because they are really small sized files - like you heard).

If it works, can I get you to write up some detailed instructions for it please (perhaps with a few screenshots). I'd like to stick something like that into the readme so that hopefully other people won't have the same problem.

smile.gif

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:12 AM Edited by glenster, 29 June 2007 - 05:09 PM.

The audio problems for the previous version were happening after Copy and Pasting the III disk audio.

Show config: Vista won't let you create the shortcut, etc., in the LC folder.
So create a shortcut on the Desktop, follow the instructions as written, then
Copy and Paste it into the LC folder.

I tried the Compatibility tab gimmick with the new version of LC but got the same result--the VC intro, silent LC menu, then "gta-vc.exe isn't working" after Start a New Game, and the Audio section didn't recognize the audio hardware (everything else I have does) (?).

I tried the IIItoVC.asi file--same thing.

Then Microsoft recommends the v.1.1 patch. I didn't try that because I figured that can't be it.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:06 AM

Hmmm. This has really got me stumped confused.gif .

At least we should be able to trace the changes fairly well - I'd have to say it's EXE-related, which means that either the IIItoVC.asi or vc_traffic.asi is most likely responsible in some way. But I don't know how - that's something MM or AK would have to answer.

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:09 AM Edited by glenster, 30 June 2007 - 05:23 AM.

I found something--I don't know if it's any use for anything. I went into the LC folder and right clicked and got the Properties box up for gta-vc.exe, gta-lc,exe, IIItoVC.asi, went to the Security tab for each, and changed "Group or user names" from Creator/Owner to one of the others that gives you permission to Read and execute the file.

But I couldn't do that with the Audio folder, for some reason--it stayed at Creator/Owner (?). And, on 2nd look, the .exe files changed back to Creator/Owner (?).

I just tried that with the whole LC folder--the whole folder is that way.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:31 AM

That must be a Vista only feature. Can you change it and try straightaway? Not sure if that'll do any good though, if it changes straight back. Although I don't see why "Creator/Owner" wouldn't let you read/execute the files.

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:59 AM

I checked VC--it's the same way, and it plays. I tried installing each file manually--same thing. I made another fresh installation of VC and tried the LC mod again--same thing. (?)

plastus
  • plastus

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:38 AM Edited by plastus, 02 July 2007 - 10:44 AM.

i got some problem w with LC too.

When i was installing version beta2ver6 and beta2ver7test1
i installed them with audio from GTA 3 and it worked well,wihout any problems.
But now i instaled new version,beta2ver7test2 wihout GTA 3 audio and now i have vc with
no-cd patch.When i press start new game, it loads 5% of loading bar and exit the game.
And i don't have movies from GTA 3.What is wrong.I downloaded package 2 times and instaled it.Nothing new.
What is the problem?
I should use a GTA 3 audio,and use my exe from original cds?
Ps.Sorry for my bad english.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:04 PM

Installing the GTA3 audio shouldn't make any difference as to whether the game actually runs or not. Do you get a crash report?

You can try running LC with the previous version of the IIItoVC.asi (the link is in the second post of the download topic), although it should work already if you're using a no-cd EXE. If it still doesn't work with the older version of IIItoVC, try using your original VC EXE - it could simply be a bad no-cd EXE you're using.

plastus
  • plastus

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:26 AM Edited by plastus, 03 July 2007 - 11:54 AM.

(problem solved)

ITS WORKING!!!I forget to delete vc_traffic.asi and vc_weather.asi.Now it's working.I'am using old IIItoVC.asi.

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:09 PM Edited by Konstantinos, 16 July 2007 - 05:12 PM.

QUOTE (COMMON PROBLEMS)
When I load up LC, the word Audio in the menu is purple, and at the bottom of screen it says "No audio hardware detected" - how do I fix this?

Having reinstalled LC recently, I realized why people are getting this error:
They forget to run AudioCleanup.bat in the Audio directory!
The missing audio file (called by launcher) is blank.mp3, which gets created by the .bat.
Problem solved wink.gif

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

That should still throw the '... file is missing' error in the launcher interface I think. And the readme states that the batch file should be run whether you install the GTA3 audio files or not. I think this step has to be added to the main installation instructions to make it perfectly clear that it should be run.

But yeah, that's most probably the solution.

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Jul 16 2007, 17:09)
QUOTE (COMMON PROBLEMS)
When I load up LC, the word Audio in the menu is purple, and at the bottom of screen it says "No audio hardware detected" - how do I fix this?

The missing audio file (called by launcher) is blank.mp3, which gets created by the .bat.
Problem solved wink.gif

thank you konstantinos yes i forgot to do that even tho i read to do it like a million times now my lc works good job guys

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Jul 17 2007, 03:09)
QUOTE (COMMON PROBLEMS)

Problem solved wink.gif

Thanks smile.gif .

I'll fix that up now. Sorry to everyone that it wasn't clearer before.

Dylan2112
  • Dylan2112

I'm quite aware; my screen name SUCKS...

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:00 AM Edited by ITBTD, 17 July 2007 - 01:10 AM.

i have a little problem

i just got beta2 v7test3 and this happened
user posted image
WTF. the IIItoVC.asi did this.

when i delete the IIItoVC.asi file its normal but it crashes 10 seconds into game play
CODE
Exception at address: 0x004E004C

EXE Version:          gta-vc.exe 1.0 US

Last opcode executed: 0400 get_point_on_object_plane

In thread:            diab_ph

Registers -----------------------------------------------------

EAX: 0x0012F634 EBX: 0x007E1D30 ECX: 0x00000004 EDX: 0x0012F65C

ESI: 0x00000000 EDI: 0x0000001A EBP: 0x007E1DB8 ESP: 0x0012F5F4

EFLAGS: 10000001000000010

please help me

EDIT: nevermind. even with the IIItoVC.asi my laptop crashes due to theres no update for my gfx card. sad.gif

offthewall
  • offthewall

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:57 PM

I can't get GTA-LC to work either, I'm using Vista Ultimate and I installed GTA-LC over a fresh install of GTA-VC, and I set the compatabilities to Windows 98/ME on both exe's but it still does the same thing. When I click start a new game GTA-LC crashes and it says something about the gta-vc.exe. Also in the options menu it says that I have no audio hardware, even after I ran audiocleanup.bat. Someone please help me, I want to play this online with vc-mp 0.3z.

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:00 PM

theres 2 .bat files run them both that worked for me

offthewall
  • offthewall

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

I only see 1 .bat file in my GTALC/Audio directory. Did you install your's over a clean installation of GTA VC or over a previous installation of GTA LC?

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:53 PM

clean installation why

offthewall
  • offthewall

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:07 PM

Because the 2nd .bat file may have come during one of the previous installations, but since it was a clean install and I don't have that file it means that I'm screwed and this mod won't work for me.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

@ITBTD - You can try re-enabling culling in IIItoVC.asi to fix that graphics glitch. Go to gta-lc.ini in your LC folder, and find the [Misc] section. At the bottom of it, there's a line that says DisableCulling=1. Change the 1 to a 0 and try again. I don't know if this will fix the crash though, if you're getting one with IIItoVC.asi confused.gif .

@offthewall - We're still not sure why LC isn't working properly with Vista confused.gif . As for the audio hardware error, if running the BAT doesn't fix the problem, then I don't know what will. Have you verified all the audio paths? There's a possibility the BAT doesn't run properly on Vista - make sure that there's a blank.mp3 file in the Audio folder after running the BAT.

By the way, there's only one BAT file in the Audio folder. The only other BAT file used in the LC installation is for the SFX, which is an optional add-on for LC. So that's not the problem - you're meant to do a clean install.

Dylan2112
  • Dylan2112

• Members

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:38 AM

well. it fixed the problem but, i still get the same problem as i had a long time ago
CODE
Exception at address: 0x6D9D176C

EXE Version:          gta-vc.exe 1.0 US

Last opcode executed: 0001 wait

In thread:            main

Registers -----------------------------------------------------

EAX: 0xBF333335 EBX: 0x00000F37 ECX: 0x06CBC088 EDX: 0x00000060

ESI: 0x00172900 EDI: 0x0018B5E0 EBP: 0x0012F55C ESP: 0x0012F558

EFLAGS: 10000001000000010

i cant find an update for my gfx card which is a
mobile intel® 915gm/gms,910gml express chipset family sad.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:57 AM

For the record, all of my GTAs have worked fine since I bought a computer with Vista.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:37 AM

@ITBTD - That's good (and bad). It's good to know that disabling the culling fixes the graphics issues with built-in Intel cards - I should add that to the readme, actually. But as for your crash, I've no idea why it's occurring. I've been through all the regular questions and stuff with you before, but as I recall, you somehow managed to get it working yourself. All I can suggest is you try everything suggested in the readme, and make sure that you've installed LC properly confused.gif . Good luck, anyway smile.gif .

@Craig - Thanks, I was pretty sure you said that a while ago. Just for reference, could you please post your specs (hopefully something there will highlight why LC isn't working for some people - a bit like DexX's VC GFX hack, which doesn't want to work on ATI cards confused.gif )?

Dylan2112
  • Dylan2112

• Members

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jul 18 2007, 00:37)
@ITBTD - That's good (and bad). It's good to know that disabling the culling fixes the graphics issues with built-in Intel cards - I should add that to the readme, actually. But as for your crash, I've no idea why it's occurring. I've been through all the regular questions and stuff with you before, but as I recall, you somehow managed to get it working yourself. All I can suggest is you try everything suggested in the readme, and make sure that you've installed LC properly confused.gif . Good luck, anyway smile.gif .

if you remember right. i had to swich computers because my other one was a piece of crap. the one i switched to had gfx card issues, and modeling man told me to upadte my gfx card. well, that computer will not be used by me any time soon. now i on a laptop and every total conversion works for me except for gta sol and gta lc(anything above beta1). this is the same problem i had with the crapy computer but that crapy one never worked any total conversions. so, i think its best to stick with gta lc beta 1 (with the help of the v5 exe biggrin.gif ). man i wish i would work sad.gif but thanks anyway icon14.gif .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users