The New Guitar Topic

2,000 replies to this topic
El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:47 PM Edited by El Diablo, 01 August 2017 - 10:58 PM.

Lipstick PU is a must!

f*cking hell! Looks hot as sh*t! I -love- the all-tweed everything  :cool:
How's the Baja Tele into that particular Blues Junior?

all tweed indeed! couldn't help myself with the retro feels. but yeah the Blues Junior is kind of amazing.
by itself the tone is beautiful and crisp and crunchy with a full bite. it improves all of my effects and even gives me a new appreciation for effects that I didn't used to care for. it makes all of my guitars sound better, like something brand new. this amp will last me a lifetime.

if you look at footage of like a Crossroads guitar festival or something, you'll see the likes of Clapton and Winwood and Beck n others using these little classic tubes in favor of larger/traditional Marshall stacks for instance, because they swear by these boutique amps and their distinct sound profile. they'll just have one of these things sitting on stage in front of a microphone running to the house PA system, running effects on a separate channel.

but this thing has such range I almost don't need half my FX anymore.

really in love with everything.

V854dhS.jpg

vyOSgFk.jpg

got permission from my girlfriend to gut half the closet in the spare bedroom. we live on the top floor of this condo, so while noise isn't an issue for us here, I'd like to try and rig up a speakbox enclosure for the new amp in order to reduce noise for our neighbors below. now it's surrounded by a few walls and more padding. finally have an excuse to blacklight my neon zebra, too...

i2du7Ff.jpg

• mr quick, Shaytan and ryannata like this

mr quick
  • mr quick

Vår tid er forbi - Europa brenner!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:22 PM Edited by mr quick, 04 August 2017 - 09:23 PM.

Lookin' good! As much as I adore my solid-state amplifier, there's something truly special about overdriven tubes. 
You might want to put your amp up high to reduce frequencies lost to the floor, and also to spare the peasants below. Fender sells a cheap amp stand which has worked for my 1x12 50 watt SS amp. I hope your amp gets to breathe well in that box, what with tube amps and their tendency towards high temperatures :p

I think it's fair to say that any purchase or aquisition for the next month or so will pale compared to your new stash. I bought two of these today:
hot-tubes-nano.png
Fun little box, and cheap. Around $50 and it can deliver a great punch. Use it as a TS with a tube amp or as a creamy OD in an SS amp. I fooled my dad, he thought it was my -much more expensive- Wampler Ecstasy when he heard me playing in the other room. 
If I hadn't had the Wampler, this would be my new go-to drive. It can be a bit "fuzzy", which can also be said for the aforementioned Wampler. It's not for everyone but with my Gibson and SS amp, it delivers me almost the exact sound I need. Great value.

Don't get me wrong; the Wampler Euphoria*** is a spectacular pedal, and the EHX Hot Tubes Nano is not a substitute. But! it's a nice pedal :p

***edit: My pedal, the Wampler Ecstasy, has been renamed the "Euphoria"(m'lady) following a lawsuit from Bogner. The circuitry remains identical. 

• El Diablo and Night Machine like this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:31 PM

Seems like a pretty sweet pedal, indeed! Are you familiar with the Tube Screamer to tell how does this one compare to it? I'm also considering finally getting a couple of pedals, but Tube Screamers are expensive as heck, mainly when you can get seemingly nice overdrive pedals like that one for much cheaper.

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:19 AM

actually, a sheet of foam under your amp will do wonders to remove excess vibrations. You can buy overpriced "musician" foam from a fancy music supply place, or just steal some from packing at work.

• El Diablo likes this

mr quick
  • mr quick

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

Seems like a pretty sweet pedal, indeed! Are you familiar with the Tube Screamer to tell how does this one compare to it? I'm also considering finally getting a couple of pedals, but Tube Screamers are expensive as heck, mainly when you can get seemingly nice overdrive pedals like that one for much cheaper.

A TS to my ears sounds a lot thinner and less dynamic than this pedal, especially with the tone bypass engaged. Big reason might be my amp, though, since I use an SS amp. I play low-med gain and roll the tone off on my guitar a bit, so I need something that's real smooth. The hot tubes nano is definitely muddier than a TS. 

• El Diablo and Shaytan like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:38 PM Edited by El Diablo, 09 August 2017 - 10:40 PM.

Lookin' good! As much as I adore my solid-state amplifier, there's something truly special about overdriven tubes. 
You might want to put your amp up high to reduce frequencies lost to the floor, and also to spare the peasants below. Fender sells a cheap amp stand which has worked for my 1x12 50 watt SS amp. I hope your amp gets to breathe well in that box, what with tube amps and their tendency towards high temperatures :p

might be hard to tell but I stacked up some layers of wood and leftover carpet tiles that we had lying around underneath the amp itself. so I hope that's made an impact on floor vibrations right away. there's definitely enough space behind the tubes for them to breathe and not overheat inside the box which I made sure of before setting it up. the room isn't finished yet either as I still want to throw up some foam acoustic panels and large tapestries on the walls.

your Hot Tubes OD looks slick.

have you by chance ever tried the Blues Driver pedal made by Boss?

• mr quick likes this

mr quick
  • mr quick

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:31 PM

Not enough to give meaningful insight into its sound. I'm very particular about my OD's, and tend to opt for the "boutique" stuff, specifically pedals which are responsive to dynamics. My main drive is a Wampler Euphoria, and the two others that I use are a JHS Morning Glory V3 and the aforementioned EHX(not boutique by any stretch but works just right for my sound). 

Trust me man. Save an extra month or two and get a Wampler. Any Wampler would be excellent with your amp. All Wampler pedals are the f*cking bomb. Used by many big names, such as Brad Paisley who has a signature Wampler pedal. 

The Tumnus is Wampler's "Klon Centaur". My dad's got an original Klon and the Tumnus is a .............clone.............. when it comes to sound imo, but in an extremely compact housing. Think the size of a Mooer or a TC mini pedal. 
I use the Euphoria because it's the most responsive and dynamic overdrive I have ever used. It has 3 settings;

1. Smooth - This setting is the most natural and dynamic. Responds like a classic tube amplifier. If you turn down the volume on your guitar output, you can get a completely clean signal which also distorts rather heavily as you turn your guitar up. Amazing setting, if you're in a situation where the acoustics and band sound is good enough that you can mess around with dynamics. Also great to use as a low-gain rhythm sound that you "crank" with a booster or TS. 
  2. Open - think tube screamer.This setting is pretty much just a really good tube screamer. Works great with good tube amps, less so with even the greatest solid-state amps. Classic rock tones. 
  3. Crunch - classic overdrive sound - a very nice overdrive sound that is less dynamic than the "smooth" setting. This is great for classic rock tones and it's my crutch if I have to play an amp I'm not used to. You'll -always- get a nice, "classic" overdriven sound from this setting. Never had it sound bad. 

I bet the Brad Paisley overdrive would sound spectacular with your setup. 

jkust like 

f*ckin

try a wampler

• El Diablo likes this

Tokasmoka
  • Tokasmoka

Peon

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

Sweet thread!  I play a Parker Nitefly mostly for thrash and punk.  I love playing along to backing tracks on youtube, my favorite being Rust in Peace album by Megadeth.  They have a bunch of drum and bass only tracks, check it out if you're interested.  I also play a Aria Acoustic that I got for $60 at value village.  I have been hitting up the beach all summer long, sadly it's going to start getting miserable here in BC so I'll have to find another place to sing!  I also have a Les Paul Studio(ruby red with gold pickups) that's a favorite amongst my buddies but I still prefer my Nitefly.

Rock on! :devil:

• mr quick likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:25 PM

Trust me man. Save an extra month or two and get a Wampler. Any Wampler would be excellent with your amp. All Wampler pedals are the f*cking bomb. Used by many big names, such as Brad Paisley who has a signature Wampler pedal.

jkust like 

f*ckin

try a wampler

since you mentioned it, I've been looking at the Velvet Fuzz by Wampler.

I love a good fuzz almost more than anything and have been researching a new pedal to replace the Boss in that category. the Boss is super versatile but still sounds more electronic than analog.

but before I pull the trigger on that, I've seen that EHX recently came out with a combination Hot Tubes + Crayon OD which sounds pretty killer as well. I'm trying to find one locally that I can try this month.

• mr quick likes this

mr quick
  • mr quick

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

Damn, that new EHX pedal looks great. Inexpensive too! Dual overdrives are great, I really want a Wampler Dual Fusion. Grants the ability to have a gritty base sound and a lead in one pedal and in all amps... Really invaluable. 

Some stores here let you "rent" equipment to try it with your own setup, is anything like that possible? 

Saggy
  • Saggy

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 4 weeks ago

Got a brand new Yamaha FG800 and a used Jackson X Series Soloist SLX today.  Haven't played in a good 5+ years, but I'm excited to try this Jackson out some more, still need to get an amp and such.  I need a good effects processor too, I use to have a Korg that was really great, had a Wah-Pedal attached too.  Didn't really use half the effects on it most of the time though, I think I could do with like half of them.  Thinking about trying out some of the Line 6 practice amps with the effects built in.  There's a second-hand shop I know where there's a little 10" one for $55 that looks like it's in good shape.

I'm pretty happy with the deal I got on the Jackson, got all the paperwork, gig bag, and got it out of a good shop so they had it all setup with new strings and stuff already. Spent under $400 after taxes.  I literally just need to learn how to tune the dang thing and get an amp. I think I'm just supposed to unfasten the locking nuts up near the normal tuning pegs but I'm not sure and don't wanna mess anything up.  Been having fun with the acoustic for now.

xil5esv.jpg

JlOPUzl.jpg

c0Lazj5.jpg

• El Diablo and Shaytan like this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Shaytan, 4 weeks ago.

Jackson bro check! Are you sure it's a Soloist, though? They're neck-through guitars, but in your second pic yours has a very noticeable neck heel which neck-through guitars obviously don't have - perhaps I'm missing something.

Really cool acoustic guitar, too! Hopefully my next purchase will be an acoustic as well, really depends if I get a svholarship or not this year.

Edit: only saw your tuning question now. No, don't unscrew the locking nut or you'll be screwed (well you'll just get out of tuning even more :p). At the bottom of the bridge you see those six small wheels you can easily turn with your hands - those are called fine tuners, you use those to adjust the tuning of your guitar. It's important to point out they don't turn indefinitely like the regular headstock tuners, so they're meant exactly only to do fine adjustments. When you restring it make sure to unscrew them almost all the way down so you don't risk eventually getting at the end of it and having to go through a big time consuming task later on.

When you restring your guitar, you want to tune it to pitch using the headstock tuners, lock the nut and then relying just on the fine tuners, you only use the headstock tuners that first time.

Saggy
  • Saggy

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Saggy, 4 weeks ago.

Jackson bro check! Are you sure it's a Soloist, though? They're neck-through guitars, but in your second pic yours has a very noticeable neck heel which neck-through guitars obviously don't have - perhaps I'm missing something.

Really cool acoustic guitar, too! Hopefully my next purchase will be an acoustic as well, really depends if I get a svholarship or not this year.

Edit: only saw your tuning question now. No, don't unscrew the locking nut or you'll be screwed (well you'll just get out of tuning even more :p). At the bottom of the bridge you see those six small wheels you can easily turn with your hands - those are called fine tuners, you use those to adjust the tuning of your guitar. It's important to point out they don't turn indefinitely like the regular headstock tuners, so they're meant exactly only to do fine adjustments. When you restring it make sure to unscrew them almost all the way down so you don't risk eventually getting at the end of it and having to go through a big time consuming task later on.

When you restring your guitar, you want to tune it to pitch using the headstock tuners, lock the nut and then relying just on the fine tuners, you only use the headstock tuners that first time.

:/  Yeah that's strange, it's got a bolt-on neck...

Edit:

f*ck me.  Well it's some Korean made knock-off Jackson.  Should have known, the shop I got it out of sells Corts and Samicks and all that crap.

I'm gonna go down there and tell them to knock $100 off what I paid or take it back.  Bolt-on my ass.

Edit:

I think I figured it out, and MAYBE it was an honest mistake since htey were selling this used for someone else, but I got a f*cking used Dinky JS32 here sold as if it was a Soloist SLX.

They better take this f*cking thing back.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 4 weeks ago

Yeah, I found it really strange, starting by the fact I never saw a Soloist with Jackson branded pickups (aka cheap), the model you thought you were buying would have Duncan designed pups (but, well, it's an easily replaceable part so it could've been replaced by a previous owner, for some reason).

Try to get that sorted out, $400 for a JS series is a robbery (and I'd never recommend a Floyd Rose JS in case they offer you a partial refund, the bridges aren't great at all). It costed me a bit over $450 for a made in Japan Dinky with Seymour Duncan's.

If they refuse giving your money back ask the compaints book (dunno if that exists in your country, around here that's enough for the seller to calm down), otherwise call in the cops. Unless they give you a really good excuse, I'd never go there again, too, if a guitar store makes such an amateur mistake they're either ripping people off or are completely imcompetent.

P.S.: please don't take me wrong, I bet you're pissed off enough right now, but a very important advice is to always make your research before buying, however I understand at a store you always expect it to be trustworthy.
  • Saggy likes this

Saggy
  • Saggy

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None

Yeah, I found it really strange, starting by the fact I never saw a Soloist with Jackson branded pickups (aka cheap), the model you thought you were buying would have Duncan designed pups (but, well, it's an easily replaceable part so it could've been replaced by a previous owner, for some reason).

Try to get that sorted out, $400 for a JS series is a robbery (and I'd never recommend a Floyd Rose JS in case they offer you a partial refund, the bridges aren't great at all). It costed me a bit over $450 for a made in Japan Dinky with Seymour Duncan's.

If they refuse giving your money back ask the compaints book (dunno if that exists in your country, around here that's enough for the seller to calm down), otherwise call in the cops. Unless they give you a really good excuse, I'd never go there again, too, if a guitar store makes such an amateur mistake they're either ripping people off or are completely imcompetent.

P.S.: please don't take me wrong, I bet you're pissed off enough right now, but a very important advice is to always make your research before buying, however I understand at a store you always expect it to be trustworthy.

Yeah these guys have never steered me wrong before, always thought they were very trustworthy, so I kind of went in and saw "Jackson Soloist" and just grabbed it before someone else got it.  I didn't even notice the bolt-on neck until you pointed it out, so I'm really glad you did.  Thought I'd got the deal of the year over here.

I don't believe it was an honestly mistake at all.  So, the guitar was being sold used, and the saleman claimed they only make a 10% commission.  I go back to return it, and the first thing the owner says is, "Well, we usually don't take returns once they're out the door because people will go use them for gigs and come back to return them."  I was pretty irked at the suggestion I was the one being dishonest, and I told him, "Look I came in, bought it 10 minutes before you guys closed, and I've been trying to call you since I woke up this morning but I keep getting a message your voice mail isn't setup." (Oh, this was after he made me wait while he made a phone call by the way ).  So he goes, "We have an answering machine, I've been here all day," so I got a little testy and said, "Well here, use my phone and call and hear for yourself," and reached for my pocket.  He got pretty stone-faced and said something like, "Well I've been hear all day I'm just saying," and then totaled up my refund amount and went back over there, but he REALLY was trying hard to get me to keep it.  "Did you play it? Oh it's a real sweet playing guitar," blah blah and the thing that struck me was that for a shop only getting 10% commission off this sale he was really trying hard to not give me the money back.

My suspicion is whoever took it in to sell presented it to them as a Dinky, and they marked it as a Soloist knowing they could pocket the extra.

Anyway, so no Floyd Rose on the JS you say?  So I should hold off on ordering the Dinky JS32 from MusiciansFriend?  Same guitar I just had basically for $78 less.  I DID like the guitar, just didn't like getting ripped off for it or paying $50 more for a used version.  I paid $350 ($378 including the tax) at the local store, and only really justified $350 over $300 because it was supposedly a Soloist.

http://www.musicians...ky js32&index=3

This was pretty much the price range I wanted to be in too.  As long as the thing actually holds tune like it's supposed to I think I'll like it, I'm not real picky and I'm half deaf so most of the concerns in quality guitars people have don't really effect me lol

My first guitar was a ESP LTD Viper 50 and I LOVED it, but I just always wanted a tremolo.  Just to give you an idea of what my satisfaction benchmark is.  I thought about getting an LTD MH-50 with a tremolo but noticed it's an "ESP" tremolo and not a Floyd Rose and I didn't trust it to stay in tune.

Only other option I've really looked at so far are Ibanez RG42s but they're $399 at the local store (a different one)  :/

Also, again, BIG thanks for pointing that out to me! Can't believe I missed the bolt-on.  Practically molested the thing, took pictures of it, but missed that by a country mile.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 4 weeks ago

Well, at least you got it all sorted out in the end, thankfully. About your question about FR bridges, they're very tricky. You saw the complication just to tune it on my first post, plus they're a pain in the ass if you plan on changing gauge or tuning (it screws up the balance of the bridge and you have to readjust the back spring holder for it to be playable).

Also, I guess you're not aware of it, but there are two categories of Floy Rose bridges: the "original" ones that are produced under Floyd Rose's specifications and much like branded pickups, guitar companies purchase in large quantities to install on their higher-end guitars and these are identified by only having the Floyd Rose engraved on them, such as this one:

FRT4002_f16cd6f5-57e4-47d9-9581-78cbe3fb

Some might say under the logo "Special", "Pro", etc. depending of the model, but you can know more about it on Floyd Rose official website, here. However, as you might imagine if you go check their prices, they're expensive. In order for companies to keep their mid and lower range instruments cheaper, they manufacture themselves the bridges for these paying a portion to Floyd Rose - these are identified for always saying "Licenced Under Floyd Rose Patents", such as this Jackson Low Pro Trem, equal to the one on my guitar:

mdelfyiaksmzow6vpfp9.jpg

What's the difference, though? On an original FR you expect top-notch quality, while on a licenced FR it really depends on the quality the brand put on it. Guitar snobs will tell you what you want is an original FR but as you might've noticed just that part would make more than half of your budget, and it's not necessary to spend that ammount of money. Licenced bridges can be good, such as the one on my guitar, but the rule of thumb is that entry-level FR guitars for such cheap prices might disappoint (FR bridges are designed for one basic function: to stay in tune. If it can't accomplish it, it's pure junk - note, though, a poorly set-up FR, no matter how good it is, won't stay in tune either).

If you want a quality instrument but are short on cash, my best advice is to buy used (that's what I did, and got a high quality instrument that will only tend to increase value because Jackson doesn't manufacture guitars in Japan anymore AFAIK for a portion of it's brand-new price). Don't buy cheap Jacksons or Ibanez, they mightbe cool for the next 1 or two years but eventually you'll desire for something better so why not investing a bit more on something decent? Just make sure to do your research, I advice check Ultimate Guitar - I'm around there as well BTW - for its reviews, they're very unbiased and mostly written by people with experience after trying the equipment for a proper amount of time. Finally, if you want more advice about Jackson guitars, I'm on a Facebook group with almost 8000 people and regularly a new guy joins with a brand-new JS32, so I'm sure they could add up something to what I've said (PM me if you're interested).

Saggy
  • Saggy

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None

Well, at least you got it all sorted out in the end, thankfully. About your question about FR bridges, they're very tricky. You saw the complication just to tune it on my first post, plus they're a pain in the ass if you plan on changing gauge or tuning (it screws up the balance of the bridge and you have to readjust the back spring holder for it to be playable).

Also, I guess you're not aware of it, but there are two categories of Floy Rose bridges: the "original" ones that are produced under Floyd Rose's specifications and much like branded pickups, guitar companies purchase in large quantities to install on their higher-end guitars and these are identified by only having the Floyd Rose engraved on them, such as this one:

FRT4002_f16cd6f5-57e4-47d9-9581-78cbe3fb

Some might say under the logo "Special", "Pro", etc. depending of the model, but you can know more about it on Floyd Rose official website, here. However, as you might imagine if you go check their prices, they're expensive. In order for companies to keep their mid and lower range instruments cheaper, they manufacture themselves the bridges for these paying a portion to Floyd Rose - these are identified for always saying "Licenced Under Floyd Rose Patents", such as this Jackson Low Pro Trem, equal to the one on my guitar:

mdelfyiaksmzow6vpfp9.jpg

What's the difference, though? On an original FR you expect top-notch quality, while on a licenced FR it really depends on the quality the brand put on it. Guitar snobs will tell you what you want is an original FR but as you might've noticed just that part would make more than half of your budget, and it's not necessary to spend that ammount of money. Licenced bridges can be good, such as the one on my guitar, but the rule of thumb is that entry-level FR guitars for such cheap prices might disappoint (FR bridges are designed for one basic function: to stay in tune. If it can't accomplish it, it's pure junk - note, though, a poorly set-up FR, no matter how good it is, won't stay in tune either).

If you want a quality instrument but are short on cash, my best advice is to buy used (that's what I did, and got a high quality instrument that will only tend to increase value because Jackson doesn't manufacture guitars in Japan anymore AFAIK for a portion of it's brand-new price). Don't buy cheap Jacksons or Ibanez, they mightbe cool for the next 1 or two years but eventually you'll desire for something better so why not investing a bit more on something decent? Just make sure to do your research, I advice check Ultimate Guitar - I'm around there as well BTW - for its reviews, they're very unbiased and mostly written by people with experience after trying the equipment for a proper amount of time. Finally, if you want more advice about Jackson guitars, I'm on a Facebook group with almost 8000 people and regularly a new guy joins with a brand-new JS32, so I'm sure they could add up something to what I've said (PM me if you're interested).

Well I mean we're really at the top end of my spending capital period.  Like investing is a nice idea and all that, and I'm not saying they're not worth it for people really vested in their guitars, but I feel like I'd get buyer's remorse pretty quick because I often get bored of playing for long periods of time.  I was initially going to get one of the cheap $300 entry level guitars at a second-hand shop for about $150 and just play the heck out of it, the only reason I sprung the $350 out for that Jackson is because I knew that the Soloist was usually a $500-$600 model and I considered the $350 "an investment".

I did have the idea that I could just eventually upgrade the pick-ups down the line if I really felt like I wanted more quality out of it, though that was at the same time I was under the impression it had a better neck and construction.  Just don't think I'm ready to drop the kind of cash it takes for a real "good" guitar yet.

I might just ditch the Floyd Rose idea if it really comes down to it.  I mean I was really stoked about it, but after tuning it and then realizing how much of a bitch re-stringing it was going to be, and now hearing that even paying out what I consider top-dollar is only going to afford me licensed bridges that might not stay in tune...  That bubble seems to be a bursting.

So...  With that in mind, wildly different guitar I've been looking at...  How would you rate these? I mean compared to other cheaper models from Ibanez, LTD, etc. I use to play a Viper 50 and really liked it.

http://www.musicians...ch omen&index=9

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 4 weeks ago

I completely understand, trust me, I bought mine on my birthday with my hard-earned money and it was on the very top of what I could afford, I know we can't really spare a big buck for an hobby. On the bottom line, FRs are a great complement to any guitar, I'm not even really into tremolo tricks but the possibility of using it once in a while, the fact due to the way the bridge works it kinda "helps" you while bending strings and that it stays in tune nicely makes it a great instrument. Maintaining it isn't hard at all, you just have to get used to it and have the extra spare time when changing strings (the trick is to only replace a string at a time or to put something under the bridge blocking it in place until you tune it up, BTW).

BTW, just a misconception I might've leaded you into: I'm definitely not the person with the biggest knownledge in guitars, all of this I've been telling you I've learnt quite recently while researching for my baby's purchase. I don't like speaking of what I don't know so what I'll tell you about the guitar you're interested on is: sorry bud, but I never played a Schecter in my life; in fact I haven't played many more guitars besides those I own[ed]. Really, create an UG account, go to the Electric Guitar thread, tell your budget and your musical preference and people in the know will give you better advice (inb4 they'll tell you to save some more, that's what happens until you reach like $1000 cause guitar snobs, so tell right away you really don't want to go over your budget :lol: ). People do that all the time and you'll get better help than I could ever give you.
  • Saggy likes this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 3 weeks ago

I bought a second-hand hardcase a couple of days ago. Really nice deal, it's one of those fancier models with the actual rough shape of the guitar cut into the material so it stays nicely in place - problem is, due to the fact of the previous owner being a smoker and due to being closed, the inside has a funky smell on it and after keeping one of my guitars on it for a couple of hours it was absorbing the smell as well.

I don't want to take any wet cleaning approaches neither use fragrances that will only cover up the smell with a stronger one, so after reading some forums I attempted to put some rice and cat litter inside old socks and leaving it closed for a day (both materials absorb smells). Unfortunately, not only it wasn't very effective but also the case now has a mix of the original smell plus a touch of cat litter fragrance... Tomorrow I'll buy a box of baking soda and do the same thing with it and dropping some on the case inside itself as well, it doesn't have any odor and it's said to be very effective absorbing smells.

P.S.: I started by vacuuming it and doing the common sense step of leaving it open getting some air, but it didn't really helped (I don't have a backyard to leave it open at the sunlight, the most I could do was to put it near an open window.

Saggy
  • Saggy

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Saggy, 3 weeks ago.

I bought a second-hand hardcase a couple of days ago. Really nice deal, it's one of those fancier models with the actual rough shape of the guitar cut into the material so it stays nicely in place - problem is, due to the fact of the previous owner being a smoker and due to being closed, the inside has a funky smell on it and after keeping one of my guitars on it for a couple of hours it was absorbing the smell as well.

I don't want to take any wet cleaning approaches neither use fragrances that will only cover up the smell with a stronger one, so after reading some forums I attempted to put some rice and cat litter inside old socks and leaving it closed for a day (both materials absorb smells). Unfortunately, not only it wasn't very effective but also the case now has a mix of the original smell plus a touch of cat litter fragrance... Tomorrow I'll buy a box of baking soda and do the same thing with it and dropping some on the case inside itself as well, it doesn't have any odor and it's said to be very effective absorbing smells.

P.S.: I started by vacuuming it and doing the common sense step of leaving it open getting some air, but it didn't really helped (I don't have a backyard to leave it open at the sunlight, the most I could do was to put it near an open window.

http://herb.co/2017/05/07/ozium/

They use this stuff to make used-cars that belonged to smokers smell good again.

If you wanna try doing it with desiccants absorbing, you should be able to find 100% silica gel fairly easily at a pet store as they sell it as cat litter now.  It's not the same as clay, and should be fragrance free.

https://www.chewy.co...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you wanna try with baking soda and peroxide the only thing is that you'll have to treat the fabric with liquid and scrub it, and you might not be able to get as deep down as you need, plus it becomes a mold issue with getting it all dried out afterward.

I'd highly suggest the Ozium. It's not really like a fragrance or something that masks the odors, it's more like Febreeze where it literally eats them from the air--except it works like 10x better.  

Maybe try this one ( though I've always heard about the spray ) as an absorber like you're trying...

https://www.amazon.c...l/dp/B008XNZZ7O

But anyway yeah, people use this to deodorize whole cars so a guitar case should be no problem.  They also use it to smoke huge amounts of weed and hide the smell, so that should give you an idea of how well it works.

So finally got around to taking pics of my new guitar after the Jackson fiasco. I'm pretty happy with it, I've always liked ESP.  I like the body shape, it reminds me of an Ibanez JS series with the curves and contours.

6Lu60jW.jpg

MKauLlM.jpg

SoHW7X1.jpg

l31pWml.jpg

• El Diablo likes this

Tokasmoka
  • Tokasmoka

Peon

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 2 weeks ago

So I am playing one of my acoustics down at the beach.  Packing up, standing on a rock 5 ft off the ground, I sling my guitar bag over my shoulder and the strap goes and my guitar goes crashing 8 ft below....  I feared the worse and put a huge dent into the bottom of it.  Oh well, it still plays and was a Korean made fender acoustic, so wasn't a prized possession or anything.  I am sure it looked funny to those that were enjoying my tunes for free lol.  Lesson learned, if people are commenting on how ragged your guitar case looks it's best to heed their observation and buy another one lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users