The New Guitar Topic

1,985 replies to this topic
El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by El Diablo, 2 weeks ago.

Lipstick PU is a must!

f*cking hell! Looks hot as sh*t! I -love- the all-tweed everything  :cool:
How's the Baja Tele into that particular Blues Junior?

all tweed indeed! couldn't help myself with the retro feels. but yeah the Blues Junior is kind of amazing.
by itself the tone is beautiful and crisp and crunchy with a full bite. it improves all of my effects and even gives me a new appreciation for effects that I didn't used to care for. it makes all of my guitars sound better, like something brand new. this amp will last me a lifetime.

if you look at footage of like a Crossroads guitar festival or something, you'll see the likes of Clapton and Winwood and Beck n others using these little classic tubes in favor of larger/traditional Marshall stacks for instance, because they swear by these boutique amps and their distinct sound profile. they'll just have one of these things sitting on stage in front of a microphone running to the house PA system, running effects on a separate channel.

but this thing has such range I almost don't need half my FX anymore.

really in love with everything.

V854dhS.jpg

vyOSgFk.jpg

got permission from my girlfriend to gut half the closet in the spare bedroom. we live on the top floor of this condo, so while noise isn't an issue for us here, I'd like to try and rig up a speakbox enclosure for the new amp in order to reduce noise for our neighbors below. now it's surrounded by a few walls and more padding. finally have an excuse to blacklight my neon zebra, too...

i2du7Ff.jpg

• mr quick and Shaytan like this

mr quick
  • mr quick

Vår tid er forbi - Europa brenner!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted A week ago Edited by mr quick, A week ago.

Lookin' good! As much as I adore my solid-state amplifier, there's something truly special about overdriven tubes. 
You might want to put your amp up high to reduce frequencies lost to the floor, and also to spare the peasants below. Fender sells a cheap amp stand which has worked for my 1x12 50 watt SS amp. I hope your amp gets to breathe well in that box, what with tube amps and their tendency towards high temperatures :p

I think it's fair to say that any purchase or aquisition for the next month or so will pale compared to your new stash. I bought two of these today:
hot-tubes-nano.png
Fun little box, and cheap. Around $50 and it can deliver a great punch. Use it as a TS with a tube amp or as a creamy OD in an SS amp. I fooled my dad, he thought it was my -much more expensive- Wampler Ecstasy when he heard me playing in the other room. 
If I hadn't had the Wampler, this would be my new go-to drive. It can be a bit "fuzzy", which can also be said for the aforementioned Wampler. It's not for everyone but with my Gibson and SS amp, it delivers me almost the exact sound I need. Great value.

Don't get me wrong; the Wampler Euphoria*** is a spectacular pedal, and the EHX Hot Tubes Nano is not a substitute. But! it's a nice pedal :p

***edit: My pedal, the Wampler Ecstasy, has been renamed the "Euphoria"(m'lady) following a lawsuit from Bogner. The circuitry remains identical. 

• El Diablo likes this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago

Seems like a pretty sweet pedal, indeed! Are you familiar with the Tube Screamer to tell how does this one compare to it? I'm also considering finally getting a couple of pedals, but Tube Screamers are expensive as heck, mainly when you can get seemingly nice overdrive pedals like that one for much cheaper.

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted A week ago

actually, a sheet of foam under your amp will do wonders to remove excess vibrations. You can buy overpriced "musician" foam from a fancy music supply place, or just steal some from packing at work.

• El Diablo likes this

mr quick
  • mr quick

Vår tid er forbi - Europa brenner!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted A week ago

Seems like a pretty sweet pedal, indeed! Are you familiar with the Tube Screamer to tell how does this one compare to it? I'm also considering finally getting a couple of pedals, but Tube Screamers are expensive as heck, mainly when you can get seemingly nice overdrive pedals like that one for much cheaper.

A TS to my ears sounds a lot thinner and less dynamic than this pedal, especially with the tone bypass engaged. Big reason might be my amp, though, since I use an SS amp. I play low-med gain and roll the tone off on my guitar a bit, so I need something that's real smooth. The hot tubes nano is definitely muddier than a TS. 

• El Diablo and Shaytan like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted A week ago Edited by El Diablo, A week ago.

Lookin' good! As much as I adore my solid-state amplifier, there's something truly special about overdriven tubes. 
You might want to put your amp up high to reduce frequencies lost to the floor, and also to spare the peasants below. Fender sells a cheap amp stand which has worked for my 1x12 50 watt SS amp. I hope your amp gets to breathe well in that box, what with tube amps and their tendency towards high temperatures :p

might be hard to tell but I stacked up some layers of wood and leftover carpet tiles that we had lying around underneath the amp itself. so I hope that's made an impact on floor vibrations right away. there's definitely enough space behind the tubes for them to breathe and not overheat inside the box which I made sure of before setting it up. the room isn't finished yet either as I still want to throw up some foam acoustic panels and large tapestries on the walls.

your Hot Tubes OD looks slick.

have you by chance ever tried the Blues Driver pedal made by Boss?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users