Marwin
  • Marwin

Cyclical Shtick

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:38 PM

Eh, seems like a perfectly mediocre gimmick for the perfectly mediocre afterparty player who doesn't mind the loss of resonance that comes with gluing a hideous midi controller on their flat top :p 

• El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:51 PM

that was my initial impression, too.

but what if you were someone who plays like Andy McKee? and this is already your style?

Spoiler

I can imagine that - in the right hands - it could produce some pretty intriguing soundscapes.

yeah? no?

• Marwin likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

Cyclical Shtick

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:27 PM Edited by Marwin, 25 September 2016 - 07:27 PM.

Yeah, you make a fair point. I'm not entirely sold on it because of how it might limit the sonic possibilities of a good guitar, but in the right hands it might be interesting. But then,  the guitar might not be as focal... I'd rather be a duo  :lol:

e: a word.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

yeah the only real problem I have with it is that it empowers the 'one-man band' concept, which is what everyone is trying to do nowadays with their loop pedals and cross mixing their own playing / vocals on different instruments. which is fine and all. but I'm too old fashioned for that. I want to see multiple people coming together and playing live; working off of each other and creating something in the moment.

I want to play with a separate drum and bassist, not just tap my own drum and bass midi notes.

like I think the ACPAD is pretty cool if you just don't have anyone to play with and you're dicking around on your own arrangements at least.

• Marwin likes this

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:22 PM

3A527780-809B-41ED-AE61-948037279B9D.jpg

Finally got these put on.

The_Shape_
  • The_Shape_

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:20 PM

My favorite guitar player is Jimi Hendrix. I also like SRV, Robin Trower, Mick Ronson, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Mike McCready, George Harrison, John Lennon, and many others.

Guitars: Gibson SG Standard, Epiphone G400 1966 Reissue, Japanese Fender Stratocaster, Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Stratocaster, Lefty Fender Strat converted for right hand playing, Samick acoustic.

Amps: Marshall YJM100, Marshall TSL60, Peavey Vypyr 15.

Cabs: Marshall 1960ahw, Carvin Valvemaster cab.

Gear I want: I've been looking at getting a Vox AC30 head.

gfen
  • gfen

GTAF Minister of Propaganda

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 4 weeks ago

QSNAaCg.jpg

Goodbye, Muff; hello Carcosa. Been watching for a Pharaoh or Team Awesome, but I couldn't pass up 20% off and free shipping plus it's the darling of the Internet, this week.

Now, the chaos of trying to figure where to put a single pedal into a stereo input chain. Currently one pup goes to a DOD250 and then wah, other goes to a Holy Fire OD, then muff, then everything gets summed together and sent to amp.

I think this replaces both HF and Muff, but I need to see what stacking does.

• El Diablo and Marwin like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 3 weeks ago

bought a used Strat.

I think this is stringed instrument #9 in the collection; guitar #4.

ifKJX5P.jpg?1

tsX8x1F.jpg

d4vStNz.jpg

• Marwin likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

Cyclical Shtick

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 3 weeks ago

Very nice, man! Cool with the pearloid pickguard :) What version is this? How does it play/how's the neck? GIVE ME INFORMATION

Been having some really ugly trouble with overtones lately as I discovered during a practice session(exerpt, the moment at which I realized it): 

https://soundcloud.c...-overtone-issue

I've attached some foam(using steel wire) between the TP and bridge, but haven't gotten to try it amped yet. 

I took the guitar to the store where I bought it(which is also my workplace now hehe) and the technician who himself had planned to buy it remarked that it sounded "unfocused" compared to when it was new. The only real change of course has been the 011 flats, but the issue is most present in the unwound strings, which aren't all that different from the 010's with which it shipped. I'm not sure how to fix this without drastically changing the sound of the guitar :/

• El Diablo likes this

gfen
  • gfen

GTAF Minister of Propaganda

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 3 weeks ago

It's what flatwounds do. I don't know why people would choose flats for a sixer, but it's your taste, not mine.

I assume the metal content for an "unwound flat" must be somewhat different than a "unwound round," which is how you manage to pull that dead sound into winky little guitar strings.

My only other suggestion is the nonsensical response of witness the strings, push down hard on either side where they cross the nut and whatever bridge or saddles or tailpeice you'e got on the other end. I, personally, think it's BS but lots of people I've spoken with swear by it.

OTOH, I run, uhm, 45s? Well, technically 65s since I don't use the G.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by El Diablo, 2 weeks ago.

Very nice, man! Cool with the pearloid pickguard :) What version is this? How does it play/how's the neck? GIVE ME INFORMATION

I believe it's one of the Mexican made Strats from the 80s.

neck feels silky smooth and the fret plays easy. it's not quite as super-buttery smooth as the PRS, but the fret and the strings definitely play as well. very solid. takes a blues beating, then still plays metal in tune, or kicks into a clean funk without twanging or buzzing. PRS is still king at the moment. maybe I'll try to record a short clip of it this week. I'm really enjoying it.

but now that I bought this thing I'm about to commence a short shopping spree.

I'm itching to update the amp. bored with the Yamaha. looking at some vintage Vox ACs. warm tubes. having the Strat makes me want to go and get a Telecaster soon next.

Marwin
  • Marwin

Cyclical Shtick

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
    Contribution [Music]

Posted A week ago Edited by Marwin, A week ago.

It's what flatwounds do. I don't know why people would choose flats for a sixer, but it's your taste, not mine.

I assume the metal content for an "unwound flat" must be somewhat different than a "unwound round," which is how you manage to pull that dead sound into winky little guitar strings.

That's what was so strange about it, the high E was an Elixir 011. 

(Unrelated re: string choice: I dig the feel of flats and the lack of string noise.) 

...so I took my amp downstairs to side-by-side it with my father's identical amp. Plugged in my favorite pedal (Wampler Ecstasy Overdrive). There was no problem. Tried the SY-300 for multi-effects. No problem. 

Turns out that there must be something whack about where I'd placed the amp. Not sure what, though. Guess I'll try putting it somewhere else :p

I believe it's one of the Mexican made Strats from the 80s.

neck feels silky smooth and the fret plays easy. it's not quite as super-buttery smooth as the PRS, but the fret and the strings definitely play as well. very solid. takes a blues beating, then still plays metal in tune, or kicks into a clean funk without twanging or buzzing. PRS is still king at the moment. maybe I'll try to record a short clip of it this week. I'm really enjoying it.

but now that I bought this thing I'm about to commence a short shopping spree.

I'm itching to update the amp. bored with the Yamaha. looking at some vintage Vox ACs. warm tubes. having the Strat makes me want to go and get a Telecaster soon next.

The Vox AC combos seems to be very popular among the blues crowd, at least here. John Scofield swears by the vintage ones. 

If vintage ones are hard to come by, I've got a new amp I'd really like to recommend:

BassB15C-large.jpg?375ebaa680

Fender Bassbreaker 15 Combo. You won't believe me until you try it. I'll take one over a Hot Rod, even. Honest to god, if I end up wanting a new tube amplifier, I'm ordering a Bassbreaker 15. 

2262000000_amp_ctrlpnldtl_001_nr.jpg

The "structure" switch is great fun. I personally prefer it on "mid" to get that dirty breakup without muddying up the sound. Since Fender are breaking away from their usual form with this one, the bass control actually DOES SOMETHING, and the "built-in" distortion is great!  :miranda: It's got an effects loop as well. 

I absolutely adore the Bassbreaker. It's such a solid amplifier. You should really try one if you get a chance to! 

• Black_MiD likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users