The New Guitar Topic

1,915 replies to this topic
Mak
  • Mak

Religion! ... Cause of Peace & War.

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

So i have a guitar and well bought it a year or so back and didn't get to learn it, now i am wanting to learn it so was wondering if there are any good guides for learning acoustic guitar online? there are many and it gets confusing trying to figure out which to go with, any help?

Marwin
  • Marwin

tilgi dem ikke; de vet hvad de gjør!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:06 PM

^I'd personally go for lessons as a teacher will know best what works for you.

-

Lately I've been obsessively listening to Pat Metheny, and I came across this on the tube(when I happened to search for it):

I don't know about you, but it's hauntingly beautiful to me. THIS is what expression is about. For a while now, I've felt an increasing frustration, isolation and alienation from a lot of things. Somehow, this tune touched me in such a way that I KNEW I had to strum the flat-top.

As luck would have it, a local ad showed up this guitar for $220 with a padded bag and an amplifier.

Those of you who know me, know that I'm a sucker for strange guitars.

Here it is:

DcpaprZ.png

Yes, that is a magnetic pickup too. It's distored by default but in turn, it turns out some acceptably Scofieldian tones! :)

Here are my impression so far:

The neck is great, almost identical to the neck on my Ibanez archtop. I also like the minimalist approach to fretboard inlays, which is ONLY a double dot to the far left(closest to your head) of the 12th fret. There are regular markings on the binding.

The cutaway is great. Definitely eye-catching(along with the sound holes) but the upper fret accessability is better than that on my Gibson ES-139.

I inspected the inside using a flashlight and mirror and it's a very thick laminate, I measured it at 3 millimeters, which seems pretty thick? Maybe I'm just inexperienced. As such, the acoustic response is comparable to that on my AF 75 which isn't exactly built for that job.

The piezo sounds great and the EQ is great too. I'm positively surprised by the "Anti-feedback" control which lets you limit feedback on frequences between 300-100Hz. Works amazingly well.

My sound setup isn't exactly state-of-the-art but it certainly sounds good in it.

The built-in tuner is not working at the moment, but there are 2 control panels on the back so I can check it out.

The magnetic pickup seems to be distorted no matter what, probably because the clean would likely be awful. The distorted sound is a nice and balanced drive that is perfectly acceptable and highly usable. The magnetic sounds GREAT in the acoustic amp so I imagine it's purpose-built for such amps.

So far, very happy with my purchase. $200 isn't a lot of dough so I can live with it :)

• Reconified likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:28 AM

so this was real.

her reaction was real.

http://www.vulture.c...ght-guitar.html

http://www.opencultu...eful-eight.html

Kurt Russel, who is personally a great music fan, was apparently very distraught after he realized what happened :lol:

the museum will never loan guitars to film projects ever again.

gfen
  • gfen

ham on the bone

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:37 PM

i was bored last night and rewired an insturment for two outputs. it's pretty clever. this is all.

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:06 PM

Bought a new "Les Paul"
Pictures tomorrow :D
  • Marwin likes this

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:49 AM

6E133B8D-0416-449F-9661-4DF8F89D8270.jpg
9CA6D005-5244-4AC4-99F3-AC63BB7AE35A.jpg
E1790EC4-F5EB-4E0D-B944-BCDE7E6C04C3.jpg

Spoiler

Wow is all...
  • El Diablo likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

:O is that a 2015 ?

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

2016 limited run ES-Les Paul sans F holes :D
I guess there was only 100 made.
  • Marwin likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

Holy crap! I was wondering what the deal was ;) I haven't seen the f-hole truss rod covers on the 2016 lineup and the back binding + maple back threw me too!  Just like my es-139

12191528_1008939539128325_30840673814937

congratulations on a dope guitar! what hardware? how's the neck, how does it play etc. tell me more tell me more  :lol:

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:19 PM

It has rolled binding for a broken in feel
Run of the mill kluson tuners
Bone nut
12" radius fretboard
Gibson unpotted MHS pickups
It's constructed the same as the ES guitars
Maple-poplar-maple sandwich
No push pull pots

Since I got it so late in the evening (I was working and my Fiancé picked it up for me) I've only played it acoustically..
It rings for days and feels awesome, I can't wait to plug it in.

Oh and it's made in Memphis TN where the other semi hollow and hollows are made :D
  • Marwin likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:10 PM

That's the way it should be done! I'll be waiting to hear back from you how it sounds plugged in. Surely, the unpotted HB's are gonna growl ;)

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:51 PM

Forgive my crappy playing

• Zyo likes this

gfen
  • gfen

ham on the bone

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:40 AM Edited by gfen, 18 May 2016 - 03:02 PM.

So, if you'd made a thing that you're fully aware classifies somewhere between "laughably bad" and "holy sh*t, did a mental patient make that," and you were at a final point* would you pick....

A black plastic pickup ring to cover up your free-hand routing (this needs to be eased down about 1mm to better center the poles and cover up the tiny bit of jazz route you can see)....

Spoiler

The plastic ring is "professional," but I think more hand-cut metal pieces fits the overall theme, except for the simple fact that maybe it's simply too much metal bits and it starts to just overwhelm.

The option exists to pickup another Gretsch ring to put around the middle pup, and have plastic around both bridge and middle. edit :bought a second ring, that's my answer.

So, where do you sit?

* - Not really. I've got some matching knobs coming in and a complete re-wiring on the todo list.

• Marwin likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:18 AM Edited by Marwin, 04 June 2016 - 09:23 AM.

God, that looks cool. Both work because neither look like they were there from the get-go  :lol:

I love the road worn look, check out metheny's old ES-175

Pat6.jpg

• Bridge pickup missing 
  • controls for bridge pickup missing
  • pickup switch missing
  • large crack on lower bout covered with duct tape
  • no idea what the thing below the TP is
  • strap attached to tailpiece using a toothbrush
  • El Diablo likes this

gfen
  • gfen

ham on the bone

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

I'm not sure I can work a toothbrush into mine, but it's an idea.

I started with something that looked like this stock photo:

Spoiler

And ended up here:

YHyUyuO.jpg

I used the Gretsch surrounds which fit the pups perfectly, since they're Fender versions of Gretsch originals. The big ole mudbucker in the neck goes to it's own volume pot and then it's own output, the two others are wired in series, VVT, and then out to their own output.

Two signal chains into an LS2. The dual buckers are for dirty and are the normal "input," and the woofy neck is "clean" and stomping on the LS2 lets me bring in the really low, heavy, bottom under the buckers' OD-into-fuzz stacked pedals.

It's a monster.

I've got all new pots, caps, and resistors to make a hardware "always full" tone for the secondary output. I even sourced an old liscense plate to cut a new control plate out of it, I'm just too lazy to want to undertake that final step.

• El Diablo and Marwin like this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

Think different. Question everything.

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:01 PM

For the past 3 years my one and only electric guitar as been a Squier Strat Special (a.k.a. the cheapest Fender the money can buy). It's a good guitar, I've learnt how to play on it and perfectly fits my needs since I just need something to learn and practice on, and I'm not on a band or anything so it's just good.

However, as a guitar enthusiast, of course I'd really like to get a new "toy" and, although mine is not holding me back or anything, I'm considering to get a second one on the future. I've always thought what guitar would suit my needs the best as something that would fit what I want to play, being a good guitar for taking to a show or recording videos while staying in my thight budget and, of course, also having a looks that pleases me.

Long story short - I've been looking for the Showmaster and Stagemaster models from Squier that everybody that owns one mentions how good it is and how cheap you can get them for. I don't really have any particular preference for Fender/ Squier, but the Stratocaster is a guitar that I really enjoy - it's very versatile, although I don't use it that much it includes a tremolo bar (after all, I'm looking for a guitar I can learn and explore new techniques) and the humbuckers are just what I need for my song style, and mine only has 3 single coils.

Perhaps, somebody arround here ever got their hands on one of those models to give me an opinion if it's somethig to go for, or should I save some extra money and go for another thing instead?

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 4 weeks ago

Can't see a reason why not. Asia-built superstrats are really good in general, and Squier is no different. I still use a Squier bass on my recordings despite having "nicer" and more expensive gear. If you can play it and if you love it, go for it. I wouldn't myself, but that's only because I can't deal with the floyd rose, nor am I a fan of single-coils, solid-bodies, and bolt-on necks  :lol:

Any guitar is a good guitar if it's the right guitar for you. You'll keep buying & selling until you find one that you feel is your "voice" - an extension of yourself. if you feel like you can "say" what you're trying to "say", you've found the one.

• Zombified Andy likes this

gfen
  • gfen

ham on the bone

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 4 weeks ago

Down here in the low land, the Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe models are praised endlessly, with the CVs compared to be every bit as good as the MIM Fender Standards, and better than the MIMs of the past (consequently, fwiw, the MIMs are now compared favourably to the American Standards).

Matter of fact, newbies looking for insturments are usually pushed towards the various Squier VMs first and foremost for that very reason.

The primary difference between the cheaper Squiers and the more expensive Fenders comes down to components, and Leo Fender designed all his insturments around easily replaced pieces in case of repair (and lower production cost). Assuming the wood is the same in whatever Squier you're looking at, chances are the only differences are more pieces in the Squier body and less desirable grain if you're looking at any type of transparent finish. That said, alot of Squiers are made from agathis and not alder (or ash, which is less common than Fender's standard alder). There's also some finishing differences betwixt Fender and Squier, with the frets usually being nicer on the Fender (not always, and not neccessarily though).

So, yeah, I'm not familar with the Showmaster or Stagemaster (who needs more than four strings?!), but if they're comparable to the VM and CV I wouldn't say no.

Marwin: Good luck when your Gibby headstock snaps off replacing the neck on your neck-throughs. To say nothing of taking a Squier body and replacing everything right up and including the neck with an after-market Warmoth or scavenged Fender replacement.

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Marwin, 4 weeks ago.

I don't use a neck-through guitar ;)

gfen
  • gfen

ham on the bone

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by gfen, 2 weeks ago.

Converted my Fender Blacktop Jazz bass to dual output yesterday, but used a break terminal jack in conjunction with a standard 1/4". Pulled out the tone knob and didn't bother to hardwire tone control in at all, although the possibility to go in there and shunt a .47uf cap across is easy enough to simulate an open tone knob I just didn't feel like it.

b31zgJG.jpg

So, if I a single cord in, both p'ups go out one cable as per original design.

But, if I plug in two cords, then each pup gets its own output.

Optionally, if I plug in only to the break terminal jack, then I get only the bridge pup output.

Dual outs is even more pointless here than the other one I did, but I can't help it. Surprisingly, a touch of dirt on the bridge pickup and a clean neck sounds fantastic (rather than clean bridge/dirty neck), and since they're both split P pups there's not a bit of noise, and I think it's purely psychological but I swear it doesn't have the same sort of mids-cancel that having both pups at full on the same circuit does.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

Think different. Question everything.

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 3 weeks ago

Can't see a reason why not. Asia-built superstrats are really good in general, and Squier is no different. I still use a Squier bass on my recordings despite having "nicer" and more expensive gear. If you can play it and if you love it, go for it. I wouldn't myself, but that's only because I can't deal with the floyd rose, nor am I a fan of single-coils, solid-bodies, and bolt-on necks  :lol:

Any guitar is a good guitar if it's the right guitar for you. You'll keep buying & selling until you find one that you feel is your "voice" - an extension of yourself. if you feel like you can "say" what you're trying to "say", you've found the one.

Thanks for your help. :) I'll keep an eye on my local online sales website to see if a good deal comes up. I was just quite confused how a guitar that receives very nice reviews can be sold for so cheap and the "simply because it's Squier so it gets undervalued" didn't fully convinced me.

Ah, I see, I'm actually quite happy with the Strat I own - humbuckers would be nicier, though - and about the bolted neck, I feel more confortable to know if sh*t happens I can replace it without spending a big buck gluing and painting it again (if fixing is even possible). Maybe since I don't have much experience arround I haven't found yet the guitar that fully suits what I'd like to play, after all I only ever played on mine and a friend's Jackson superstrat, I'm not really the guy to go annoy some dude from a guitar store and stay an hour there trying guitars.

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Marwin, 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for your help. :) I'll keep an eye on my local online sales website to see if a good deal comes up. I was just quite confused how a guitar that receives very nice reviews can be sold for so cheap and the "simply because it's Squier so it gets undervalued" didn't fully convinced me.

Ah, I see, I'm actually quite happy with the Strat I own - humbuckers would be nicier, though - and about the bolted neck, I feel more confortable to know if sh*t happens I can replace it without spending a big buck gluing and painting it again (if fixing is even possible). Maybe since I don't have much experience arround I haven't found yet the guitar that fully suits what I'd like to play, after all I only ever played on mine and a friend's Jackson superstrat, I'm not really the guy to go annoy some dude from a guitar store and stay an hour there trying guitars.

It's true - Squiers go for cheap, regardless of quality. I saw an Esprit for sale labelled just "guitar" for $100. Wish I would've bought it, it was gone within the hour. 

Absolutely, the bolt-on neck is the more rational thing when it comes to worst-case scenarios. I used to have a Fender with a bolt-on neck and HB's but I had to return it because of an irreperable production error which made it impossible to intonate :(

nQ2UXGS.png

I wish I still had it, that was a really cool guitar. 

Take it from a guy who has wasted countless hours trying to find the right setup for the wrong guitar: Don't settle for "almost" or what you can afford... IMO you should try a lot of different things until you find the one to which you compare the others. If it's a bit pricey, you'll figure it out. I couldn't afford my beloved ES-139 when I got it, so I got a downpayment deal. There's nothing wrong with trying guitars at the store to guide you! :)

• El Diablo likes this

gfen
  • gfen

ham on the bone

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by gfen, 3 weeks ago.

Ah, I see, I'm actually quite happy with the Strat I own - humbuckers would be nicier, though

You can easily change pickups yourself. First off, are you sure your cheapie isn't pre-routed for bigger pickups under the scratch plate? That's not uncommon for budget instruments for the factory to just route the bodies for one generic size and then fit as required since it's all covered, anyways. The image below shows the factory route directly behind the one I added, this was a Jazz-clone bass, and the existing route was about 2x the size to allow the factory to either use the original single coils or EMG35 sized soapbars w/o having to manufacture two different bodies.

Even if you're not, it's fairly easy to open the wood up with hand tools even without an actual router. The below was done with a set of $9 wood chisels from a home improvment store:

0cnrf9B.jpg

That's a big hole there, easily as wide as any humbucker you've got and probably way deeper; that hole took about 3 aggregate hours to do.

It helps to have at the very least a hand drill to hog out some of the wood (I used a 1/4" brad bit in a regular corded hand drill, forstner bits in a press would've been easier).

Wiring is painfully easy, especially if you're just replacing one pup with another. Hell, you don't even need a soldering iron if you cut existing leads and leave some on pot you could just twist them together, again I've been using a $10 Radio Shack cheap iron now for over 20 years and it's done everything I've ever asked it too, and if you're looking to change it all up, I've designed a couple different diagrams just looking at templates on the Internet. The hardest thing is going to be that 5 way Strat switch, and even that is logical if you just look at how it is now.

So, in other words, do it yourself and enjoy gouging holes in your insturment. When you're done, there won't be another like it.

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Flyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Mikeol2014, 3 weeks ago.

I got a 20th Anniversary Squier Strat in my local Cash Exchange for £39. I think it was a steal to be honest. Its a nice bit of kit for the price.

I had a Fender Strat but I had to sell it a couple years ago... working on getting it back (well a new Fender)  :) 

• Marwin likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 2 weeks ago

I got a 20th Anniversary Squier Strat in my local Cash Exchange for £39. I think it was a steal to be honest. Its a nice bit of kit for the price.

I had a Fender Strat but I had to sell it a couple years ago... working on getting it back (well a new Fender)  :) 

Got pics? :D 

Re: Squier, price.

Saw a gorgeous Tele thinline with "wide range" humbuckers for just $200 today:

82_1871597480.jpg

Can't believe how cheap a guitar that plays well & looks great can be atm

• El Diablo likes this

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by ilovebender.com, A week ago.

I bought a new amp this year; the guy who sold it to me said it was the last one for sale in England!? - I didn't believe him until I got home and the only one I could find on the internet was the one I just bought and this review of it, at the time of the review when the amp was coming out and they sent the product out for review, only 10 were made they said, at that time; whether or not they made more after, I don't know, but this is my new amp! My Marshall SL5 Slash signature 1 watt / 5 watt amp that I bought for £580 at my local music/guitar shop.. 

030_zpsi76ga86u.jpg

Next to my 1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard that the only mod' I had done was have a set of Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II Pro Humbuckers installed... I love this guitar...

My most 2 recent guitar videos from Instagram / Youtube (so I can declare it with PRS/ASCAP) lol

• El Diablo likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users