The New Guitar Topic

1,822 replies to this topic
Black_MiD
  • Black_MiD

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 3 weeks ago

+1 on the tortoise guard. My Strat's got one and I absolutely love the look of it. By the way, she's a looker, GrandMaster Smith! Great stuff :)

• GrandMaster Smith likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

I want a name when I lose.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'd love to do some stuff to my Ibby:

10352558_756624601026488_659109244067051

I want a Gibson Burstbucker in the neck position, bound genuine tortoise guard, gold hardware, and a Gibson Johnny Smith/Heritage finger-tailpiece. It's an amazingly well-playing guitar, and the build quality is absolutely impeccable. The only downside is that the pickups aren't 100% perfect. They're not bad at all, but I'm not quite sure they're what I want. 

Black_MiD
  • Black_MiD

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 3 weeks ago

Pretty tasteful choices, dude! I'd say you should totally experiment with pickups. It might just give you that tone and that alone is worth the investment!
Also, you look super focused in that picture!

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by GrandMaster Smith, 3 weeks ago.

That trap inlaid fretboard absolutely kicks the dot's ass. Who made it? 

I actually got it off Ebay for around $40-50 from some no name distributor. I figured what the hell might as well try it out for that cheap and if I don't like it I'd just swap back the old one, surprisingly the neck was completely straight with leveled frets and all, all I had to do was the drilling and trim the heel down a little bit to fit in the neck slot. The blank headstock was nice too since now I can put on a custom waterslide design sometime in the future.

I'd love to add a bigsby trem to it but not sure if I can justify $100+ for a trem let alone having to drill new holes in the body. I have seen some mounting plates that go into the tailpiece holes for tremolos but that's another $60 or so on top of the bigsby price. 

Oh wow, I didn't read it right, I thought you only swapped the fretboard. Impressive. What type of wood is it(the neck itself)? 

There are trems which don't require drilling, and there are ones which go right on the stop-bar mounts. I guess you already know this, half the point of a bigsby's the look ;)

If you're into more mods, how about a bound tortoise guard or something? Relatively cheap mod which may further personalize a guitar. 

It's rosewood on maple. I didn't even think about putting on a new pickguard that's a good idea.

And yes, although I want a trem for practical purposes I do also really like the bigsby look on the 335's I really dig the look of a fat trem on a 335 haha. I've actually come across a decent looking noname trem that I might have to try out just because they're only nearly a quarter the price of a bigsby so there's not much to lose. Mechanically speaking they're pretty simple so I couldn't imagine it being that hard to mess up making one, plus visually they're nearly identical to the B7's.

mmJVAUQ0pQ_YDfYbW76MqGQ.jpg

$30 isn't really anything to love, just drilling those holes into the body is the scary part lol

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Marwin Moody, 2 weeks ago.

@Grandmaster:

I'd probably try it out and look at it first. With a cheaper trem you run the risk of inferior metals, mechanics, and build quality. Some archtops guitars with which I'm familiar have had tailpieces which have appeared to be top quality metal, but turns out to be poorly assembled composite materials. GL. 

Pretty tasteful choices, dude! I'd say you should totally experiment with pickups. It might just give you that tone and that alone is worth the investment!
Also, you look super focused in that picture!

Yeah, I love the Burstbuckers. Have them in the ES-139. Downside is they're about 150 bucks and then there's the installation etc. Maybe in the future. 

Yeah, guess I'm a bit focused lol. My first time playing double-time bebop stuff in concert, and I hate the combination of showmanship and musicianship, or rather what one takes away from the other. I'm not much of an entertainer when I play jazz :p 

• Black_MiD likes this

Black_MiD
  • Black_MiD

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 2 weeks ago

I know that pain! I've been told I look autistic when I play classical (I sometimes rest my head on the guitar's body when I'm playing delicate pieces; it also helps me hear the bass line better). Doesn't help that my guitar faces are idiotic...

• Marwin likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Marwin Moody, 2 weeks ago.

I always look autistic, but concentrating really amplifies that look. You should see my guitar face, it's worse than early 80s Robben Ford and John Scofield combined.

check out ab. 50 secs in. He looks like he's squeezing out a huge one. 

-

Just got a gig or a few. Vocalist needs me for a concert playing rhythm guitar on this:

and the worst guitarist in the whole world booked me to play Black Orpheus with him on his exam :)

And may 9th, I have a keys gig at a club. Hopeful that the turnout is good, so I can get some fast $. 

• Black_MiD likes this

Black_MiD
  • Black_MiD

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 2 weeks ago

John Scofield is the king of retarded guitar faces, in my book. Robben's faces in that video do put up a fight for that title, though.

Black Orpheus? That's awesome, dude. Bonfá's "Manhã de Carnaval", I'm assuming? I wrote a solo arrangement of that one a few years ago. Sadly, I have no idea where the sheet is. Good luck for those gigs, dude!

I finally started writing sheet on the computer; all this time I've been doing it by hand — it's still my favourite method, but the computer saves me some time.

• Marwin likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 2 weeks ago

Yeah, I also think Sco is pretty overrated. 

Yup, the tune is the same. It's a great piece, but the other guitarist is literally the worst I've ever seen. 

I greatly prefer computer as a writing medium. 

be17Pyn.png

I would have never gotten this down on paper lol

• Black_MiD likes this

Black_MiD
  • Black_MiD

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 2 weeks ago

I feel sorry for you, man. Playing with incompetent musicians can be really annoying.

I don't know why, but I just love the feeling of seeing it all shape up on paper. It's time consuming, though, and since I've got a big load of work ahead of me, I figured I should just go for the more efficient option.

What's that you're writing, man? Something for an audition? :)

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 2 weeks ago

f*ck. I forgot to accept my spot at the university. It was due 43 minutes ago. f*ck. 

f*ck. 

No, it's for my graduation exam concert in may/june. I want to have lil' summin' summin' to show what my mind is up to lol. 

• Black_MiD likes this

Black_MiD
  • Black_MiD

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 2 weeks ago

sh*t, did you fix that? Did they still validate it?

I'm using MuseScore to write, but I got lazy and haven't worked on it at all for the past two days. What program are you using there? It looks pretty neat.

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 2 weeks ago

Nope. Guess I'm doing nothing for a year. 

I use Sibelius 7 for notation. Pretty much the "Standard", is to sheet writing what the Nord Stage is to live music. 

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 2 weeks ago

I absoutely LOVE the neck on my new Music Man..
I wish every one of my guitars had this exact neck lol

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by GrandMaster Smith, 2 weeks ago.

and the worst guitarist in the whole world booked me to play Black Orpheus with him on his exam :)

And may 9th, I have a keys gig at a club. Hopeful that the turnout is good, so I can get some fast $. 

How'd you get into doing gigs? Man I would love to get in and be able to perform, do they pay pretty decent, and do you get to play gigs often? I watched a video diary of a man who gigged with a band on a cruise ship and it seemed like it'd be a blast, get paid to travel across the sea to play music, visit the cities you port at, meet all sorts of people, have a few drinks and kick back on your down time.. I wouldn't even know where to start though and I'd imagine you'd have to be rather proficient at reading sheet music but I've been studying a lot of theory lately and in due time I feel I'll have a good grasp of it all.

Also on a side note I finally got around to purchasing a looper pedal I've had my eye on lately along with some other goodies last night; new toggle switch (mine will won't make full connection sometimes so needs replaced), a 6 channel EQ pedal and a decent mic with a USB connector so I can finally record some stuff onto my computer.. definitely most stoked about the looper pedal, it's going to help immensely with learning and writing new songs. The last time I really even recorded was some tune I made about 3 years ago around when I first started playing, honestly don't even think I had my strat plugged in for it but it still turned out nice, mixed it with my beginner sony vegas skills haha.. figured I'd share:

• Marwin and Black_MiD like this

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 2 weeks ago

How'd you get into doing gigs? Man I would love to get in and be able to perform, do they pay pretty decent, and do you get to play gigs often? I watched a video diary of a man who gigged with a band on a cruise ship and it seemed like it'd be a blast, get paid to travel across the sea to play music, visit the cities you port at, meet all sorts of people, have a few drinks and kick back on your down time.. I wouldn't even know where to start though and I'd imagine you'd have to be rather proficient at reading sheet music but I've been studying a lot of theory lately and in due time I feel I'll have a good grasp of it all.

Also on a side note I finally got around to purchasing a looper pedal I've had my eye on lately along with some other goodies last night; new toggle switch (mine will won't make full connection sometimes so needs replaced), a 6 channel EQ pedal and a decent mic with a USB connector so I can finally record some stuff onto my computer.. definitely most stoked about the looper pedal, it's going to help immensely with learning and writing new songs. The last time I really even recorded was some tune I made about 3 years ago around when I first started playing, honestly don't even think I had my strat plugged in for it but it still turned out nice, mixed it with my beginner sony vegas skills haha.. figured I'd share:

Happy to hear you're studying theory, if you have any questions about theory feel free to ask me. 

Getting into gigs... That's a whole chapter of its own. You just have to put yourself out there. Cliched phrase indeed, but it holds some truth. Trust me, there's a million things I'd rather be doing than playing organ at the club until 2 am on my birthday. 

If you think you're up to it, get into all the "musicians seeking musicians", "musician needed" etc groups in your area. There will always be someone who needs a guitarist. 

And no, the gigs don't usually pay well enough. That's part of it. You do a lot of sh*tty gigs, get exposition, then suddenly Statoil hires you and gives you 500 dollars for one song. 

My advice from personal experience: Be a "Yes!"-man. Be up for anything, play anything and play it well. Study theory, this is equally as important in my own opinion.

I probably didn't really answer your questions so just ask again if I didn't. 

Got any more stuff I could listen to? 

• Zyo likes this

Zyo
  • Zyo

The unforgiven

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 2 weeks ago

Once again Marwin Moody is on the spot with good advice.

it's easy enough to get into gigging if you have the "can-do" attitude. Its a lot harder to make a living out of it. Its likely to be an expensive hobby for a long time. A lot of networking helps, make some friends in your area in the right scene. Stuff comes together remarkably simply if you are willing to put the legwork in.

I watched a video diary of a man who gigged with a band on a cruise ship and it seemed like it'd be a blast,

Cruise ship gigs are not really great deals. You are usually not well paid, and you will often find yourself working a lot of sets, on a daily basis. Doing exactly the same thing over and over. Its a pretty comfortable situation though, no load-in/load-out, simple setups with sound that are dialled in. Simple routine: eat-play-drink-play-eat-play-drink-play-drink-drink-play-drink-sleep. Repeat. You dont want to be seven in a cabin for three months though.

• Marwin likes this

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Happy to hear you're studying theory, if you have any questions about theory feel free to ask me. 

Getting into gigs... That's a whole chapter of its own. You just have to put yourself out there. Cliched phrase indeed, but it holds some truth. Trust me, there's a million things I'd rather be doing than playing organ at the club until 2 am on my birthday. 

If you think you're up to it, get into all the "musicians seeking musicians", "musician needed" etc groups in your area. There will always be someone who needs a guitarist. 

And no, the gigs don't usually pay well enough. That's part of it. You do a lot of sh*tty gigs, get exposition, then suddenly Statoil hires you and gives you 500 dollars for one song. 

My advice from personal experience: Be a "Yes!"-man. Be up for anything, play anything and play it well. Study theory, this is equally as important in my own opinion.

I probably didn't really answer your questions so just ask again if I didn't. 

Got any more stuff I could listen to? 

Theory is a lot of fun, I can't believe I've been playing for years now and only now actually drawing out the circle of 5ths and all the notes in each key to learn all the notes and chords. My mind was blown when I first learned about relative minors and how they're the same notes as the major, something so simple yet just so amazing to me lol.

Thanks for the advice on gigs, it's something I've just thought about possibly pursuing being that I just enjoy writing and playing music. I'm in a point in my life where I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of it haha.

And yes I should have more stuff to listen to here in a couple weeks! Once I get my mic and looper in the mail I'll be writing all kinds of new stuff, I'm just hoping my piece of crap laptop can manage to run a program for compiling audio layers.. any advice on an easy going music program? I used to just use Sony Vegas on my old computer but this computer would die in a second trying to run that.

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted A week ago Edited by Marwin, A week ago.

I remember the very same happening to me when I first started learning. It opens up a hell of a lot of doors, doesn't it? :)

I do all my recordings on Garageband on an old iPad 2. Works great for just getting the stuff out of your mind and into the world.

Your mind is gonna get plenty blown as you dig deeper into theory. Look forward to hearing about it :)

-

Just got another gig, this time I'm playing piano for a song student's exam. Feels nice to get some bookings, finally. 

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted A week ago

^ And another, guitar for some sh*tty acid version of "Norwegian wood". 5 bookings may-june, alright. 

-

Tomorrow I'm going to have a look at this: 

11_581770007.jpg

No-name 1950s archtop, allegedly Norwegian-built and from its characteristics(wood, finish, design, tailpiece, and inlays), I think it might've been produced right around the corner by Olav Egeland (d. 1996). A luthier I know has done work on it so it should be golden. The seller confused arched top with carved top, so maybe I can hassle him  :evilgrin: I'm only joking, but maybe I can take the price down a little.

Fears: As far as I can tell, no truss rod  :panic: oh deary me. 

Plans: Benedetto floating pickup on a bound ebony pickguard - if the guitar is any good. Seller seems laid-back and it's a low-stress situation, I don't need this guitar, but want to learn more about installing and manufacturing parts on more sophisticated instruments than solid-body/bolt-on neck guitars. 

Zyo
  • Zyo

The unforgiven

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted A week ago

Looks pretty nice. Cool one for the collection.

Got a bit of wear on it, but nothing more than the "gives it a bit of character" category :p .

11_1091227994.jpg

Price isn't too silly. I'd hope to negociate at least 20% off the asking though. Its a tough one to value.

• Marwin likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted A week ago

Completely agree. The chrome plating is coming off the tailpiece too. It's a lot more road-worn in person, lots of dings on the neck itself. 

Impressions:

• Wow, this feels f*cking nice to play. I want it but I have little to no disposable income working part time. 
  • Neck looks completely perfect.
  • Large crack in one of the sides, but it is repaired and seems stable. 
  • Neck is 3-piece. Pleasant surprise. 
  • The inlays may be bone
  • Zero fret!
  • Frets are fantastic, no wear at all. 
  • Very loud with bronze roundwounds (010)
  • Thin top; could it be non-laminate? :O
  • Holes suggest it has had a pickguard at one point, possibly even a neck-mounted pickup

I want to buy it, but I gotta save up. Not a rich man, but I want to build a collection, and thought this would be a nice project guitar, as described before. Spot on with finding the ad, Zyo. As you can tell, the wear is most eminent on the back:

11_872508703.jpg

Here's another suspiciously similar guitar(look at the fretboard, inlays, and the headstock) for sale for more than twice the price of the one I tried: http://www.finn.no/f...chQuery=archtop

resevil2008
  • resevil2008

Guitar Shred

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

Been practising :)

• Zyo likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users