Photo

The New Guitar Topic

1,435 replies to this topic
mikkenugent
  • mikkenugent

Wolf God

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE (King Mystery @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 15:24)
QUOTE (Mealing @ Wednesday, Jul 18 2012, 13:30)
Depends what kind of tone you're after. Want a thin, cutting tone? Bass and mids set low and treble up high. Something akin to Greenday? Whack the bass up, everything else about half way.
Best thing to do is experiment.

Well, I'm kind of looking for that fine line between hardcore and pop-punk. Sort of Green Day-ish, I suppose, but closer to their earlier stuff.

Exactly bass 10 mid 3, high 6.5, Presence 7, Drive 6.5 these are just ball park but give em a shot. Early Green Day had a somewhat metal tone with a heavily modded Marshall head. Iirc the mod is unknown to the public but really they're tone was never hard to recreate. Hope this helps.

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (mikkenugent @ Friday, Jul 20 2012, 20:29)
QUOTE (King Mystery @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 15:24)
QUOTE (Mealing @ Wednesday, Jul 18 2012, 13:30)
Depends what kind of tone you're after. Want a thin, cutting tone? Bass and mids set low and treble up high. Something akin to Greenday? Whack the bass up, everything else about half way.
Best thing to do is experiment.

Well, I'm kind of looking for that fine line between hardcore and pop-punk. Sort of Green Day-ish, I suppose, but closer to their earlier stuff.

Exactly bass 10 mid 3, high 6.5, Presence 7, Drive 6.5 these are just ball park but give em a shot. Early Green Day had a somewhat metal tone with a heavily modded Marshall head. Iirc the mod is unknown to the public but really they're tone was never hard to recreate. Hope this helps.

Neither of my amps have numbers, lol. But I'll try to give that a shot...

mikkenugent
  • mikkenugent

Wolf God

• Members

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

I just picked up a Gibson 1984 Explorer. Awesome guitar, I dropped some hardwired emg 81's in there for good (Hetfield) measure. I'll post some pics soon.

Stopped
  • Stopped

Epsilon Follower

• Members

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Just picked up a 99' Fender Mustang. It's rad as f*ck.

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homeboy

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:05 AM

I just picked up a Gibson 1984 Explorer. Awesome guitar, I dropped some hardwired emg 81's in there for good (Hetfield) measure. I'll post some pics soon.

I love it already. Better be in Black. Wheres the pics!!

mikkenugent
  • mikkenugent

Wolf God

• Members

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (zyonig @ Saturday, Sep 8 2012, 03:05)

I love it already. Better be in Black. Wheres the pics!!

Ah sorry friend its in white now aged to cream, I have seen them in black but I haven't seen one for sale ever. I'll post some up soon for yea on the road for the next 2 weeks giggin.

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:17 PM Edited by yngwierocks, 02 October 2012 - 04:16 PM.

So my music man finally arrived at Long and Mcquade. The 6 month wait felt like forever!! I should be home to pick up it on Thursday, I'll post some pictures when I have it. I requested the trem be blocked both ways and be set up for open C tuning ( if you're wondering what open C sounds like, google Devin Townsend Deadhead Tuska)

user posted image
user posted image
Better pics Thursday.

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

Vincere non importante, ma l'unica cosa che conta

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (mikkenugent @ Wednesday, Aug 22 2012, 05:30)

EMGs are overrated imo even though I love Metallica, would much prefer a Gibson 500T or Duncan Invader as my bridge pickup in an Explorer for that kind of metal. I doubt I'd ever own more than 1 guitar at a time with EMGs. What amp are you playing through?

Might be picking up a Gibby SG special faded on the weekend cool.gif

Just a lil' something like this

user posted image

devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif

mikkenugent
  • mikkenugent

Wolf God

• Members

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (JuventusFC @ Wednesday, Oct 3 2012, 14:56)

EMGs are overrated imo even though I love Metallica, would much prefer a Gibson 500T or Duncan Invader as my bridge pickup in an Explorer for that kind of metal. I doubt I'd ever own more than 1 guitar at a time with EMGs. What amp are you playing through?

user posted image

That's nice, I on the other hand feel very different than you about EMG's. I have a set of 81's I all of my guitars as I find them the most consistent and clearest pickup. Clean tone I'd much rather a passive Gibson humbucker than a Invader(too cluttered a tone). I run through a mark II C+ and a JCM 800 into straight front Marshall 4x12's.

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE (mikkenugent @ Tuesday, Oct 9 2012, 19:18)

user posted image

That's nice, I on the other hand feel very different than you about EMG's. I have a set of 81's I all of my guitars as I find them the most consistent and clearest pickup. Clean tone I'd much rather a passive Gibson humbucker than a Invader(too cluttered a tone). I run through a mark II C+ and a JCM 800 into straight front Marshall 4x12's.

I see you're going for the full Metallica setup there..well whatever you enjoy. And I actually did get the SG. Awesome guitar.

mikkenugent
  • mikkenugent

Wolf God

• Members

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (JuventusFC @ Wednesday, Oct 10 2012, 03:07)

user posted image

I see you're going for the full Metallica setup there..well whatever you enjoy. And I actually did get the SG. Awesome guitar.

Sure I am, thanks anyway pal. Have fun with the SG.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:31 AM

The thing about EMG's though, is that it literally doesn't matter what guitar you put them into, they're always gonna sound the same. No doubt they sound good but not the best if you're a tone geek. My personal favourite "metal" pickup right now is the Duncan SH6 (Duncan Distortion) It's like the clearer slightly lower output version of the invader. Thick, tight, nicely voiced distortion and clear full cleans, what more could you ask for!

Saying that though, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Bare Knuckle Aftermaths for my 7 string to get that really tight, clear, djenty chuggyness in the low bottoms. They're not too cheap though. Anyone use any BK's?

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (rhyn @ Thursday, Oct 11 2012, 04:31)

The thing about EMG's though, is that it literally doesn't matter what guitar you put them into, they're always gonna sound the same. No doubt they sound good but not the best if you're a tone geek. My personal favourite "metal" pickup right now is the Duncan SH6 (Duncan Distortion) It's like the clearer slightly lower output version of the invader. Thick, tight, nicely voiced distortion and clear full cleans, what more could you ask for!

Saying that though, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Bare Knuckle Aftermaths for my 7 string to get that really tight, clear, djenty chuggyness in the low bottoms. They're not too cheap though. Anyone use any BK's?

Djent, lol. I can't stand that sh*t.

Though I hear Bareknuckles are some of the best pickups out there.

Gibson 500T is an underrated pickup imo.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (JuventusFC @ Thursday, Oct 11 2012, 13:44)

I'm with you on the majority of Djent to be fair. But I'm really diggin the likes of Animals as Leaders and Periphery lately and that tone is undeniable.

mikkenugent
  • mikkenugent

Wolf God

• Members

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:46 PM Edited by mikkenugent, 11 October 2012 - 04:48 PM.

QUOTE (rhyn @ Thursday, Oct 11 2012, 15:47)
QUOTE (JuventusFC @ Thursday, Oct 11 2012, 13:44)

I'm with you on the majority of Djent to be fair. But I'm really diggin the likes of Animals as Leaders and Periphery lately and that tone is undeniable.

I'm the odd guy with EMG's, they do spit out a consistent time which for my needs are right on, the quote about they sound the same in every guitar is not thought. My V, Les Paul Customs, and Explorer sound totally different from each other.

Djent I've only recently came in contact with, not my cup of tea personally but I do like the tight percussive aspect of it.

Edit: as for the tone geek statement I could not totally disagree more as I have been called a tone snob on more than 20 occasions lol.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Fair enough, that was just my past experience with them. If you say there's a big difference between your guitars with emg's then I'll stand corrected and keep an open mind about their versatility. Don't get me wrong though, I far from hate them. I even almost bought some 707's a little while ago.

mikkenugent
  • mikkenugent

Wolf God

• Members

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (rhyn @ Friday, Oct 12 2012, 18:50)
Fair enough, that was just my past experience with them. If you say there's a big difference between your guitars with emg's then I'll stand corrected and keep an open mind about their versatility. Don't get me wrong though, I far from hate them. I even almost bought some 707's a little while ago.

Its really just the body mass of the fiddles that change the tone really. I dig em as they are my workhorse, but I do enjoy different pups for different sounds. If I want a Nashville twang I'm off to Seymour lipsticks, rock usually a Gibson, but u get it haha. I think the big gripe people have with EMGs are the active pre amp which is really just a built on compressor. Say you have a guitar with EMGs but you'd want a passive sound (assuming one would have a compressor pedal already) you could throw the compressor on as the first effect in the chain and "convert" the compressed signal to a more passive sound. The theory of if you compress a brick wall it will expand. Sorry for the book, figured I'd share for people what they miggt not know about them haha.

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

hey guys, I'm thinking about picking up a Epiphone G-400 SG Custom 3 pickup relatively soon, but it's in a horrible dirty white color, could I get it sprayed to like black or red?

Bernard Jazz
  • Bernard Jazz

Dud dats not gas, dats a chikn.

• Members

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

Yep.
Sand it, prime it, paint it, leave it to dry (hanging from the neck pocket tends to help) then apply a couple of clear-coats.

There's a rough guide on how to re-paint a guitar here.

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

thanks man.

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

user posted image
user posted image
Even after 4 months I still love this guitar, that has never happened before lol
Usually after a month or so I want to trafe it in on something different.
  • Marwin Moody likes this

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:04 AM

I love this guitar.

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Besides drumming, I also want to learn how to play guitar.
Anyone know songs and video's on YouTube I should know as absolute beginner? smile.gif
My guitar is a basic acoustic one as of yet.

tuareg
  • tuareg

Goodbye, John Marston. It's been a great pleasure!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Justinguitar on youtube. That's all you'll need.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

Just got an Ibanez Gio. Also got a BC Rich Warlock Bronze Series a few months ago. Both play excellent, and GREAT for awesome riffs. My first guitar was a red/white Assassin.

assmillk
  • assmillk

Homie

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

Right now I'm stuck with only my second guitar which is a epiphone sg. But i plan on this being my next PRS Santana

user posted image

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

I found in the cellar a 1964 (or earlier it seems) "Maton Supreme 777" Anyone got anything on ti?

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

Saturday I bought a used Ibanez Artcore AF75D hollowbody archtop guitar. f*cking love that sh*t! anyone else play big jazz boxes?

Jc_39a
  • Jc_39a

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

I used to play guitar about nearly 2 years ago, do you think is worth getting back into it? I might get a electro acoustic guitar so I don't have to plug in a amp all the time, atm I have a electric guitar. http://www.andertons...CFUjItAod418A0w

This is my one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users