Photo

The New Guitar Topic

1,444 replies to this topic
Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

I was thinking about possibly upgrading the pickups on my Les Paul Studio, however I've never looked into them before. Anyone have suggestions?

mikkenugent
  • mikkenugent

Wolf God

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Mr White0161 @ Sunday, Jan 15 2012, 06:06)
I was thinking about possibly upgrading the pickups on my Les Paul Studio, however I've never looked into them before. Anyone have suggestions?

It depends on yur style of music, I myself favor active EMG 81's in the neck and bridge positions then again in a metal guitarist. If yur into other styles try and find out who uses what pros are pros for a reason.

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (mikkenugent @ Sunday, Jan 15 2012, 14:09)

It depends on yur style of music, I myself favor active EMG 81's in the neck and bridge positions then again in a metal guitarist. If yur into other styles try and find out who uses what pros are pros for a reason.

I'm a classic rock guy myself. I look towards those such as Jimmy Page, Alex Lifeson, and David Gilmour when it comes to playing styles.

mikkenugent
  • mikkenugent

Wolf God

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:46 AM Edited by mikkenugent, 16 January 2012 - 09:50 AM.

QUOTE (Mr White0161 @ Sunday, Jan 15 2012, 23:13)

I'm a classic rock guy myself. I look towards those such as Jimmy Page, Alex Lifeson, and David Gilmour when it comes to playing styles.

Gilmour now uses single coil EMG's, page used Gibson pickups most of the time so id suggest pickin up some Gibson humbuckers 490R and 490T are usually what's in most Gibson's and higher end Epiphones. Great for hard rock to rock to almost anythin, think what sound yur after who used what (realize you won't sound exactly like someone else even if u have the same set up) and you will be in the same ball park. Though I personally love EMG's they might be too "hot" for the style you roll on.

EDIT: You said you have a Les Paul Studio, if it's a Gibson you should be set as if it's a Epiphone I'd throw the 490R & 490T in that sum bitch and yur off to the races.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Gilmour's been happy with EMGs, at the time, I paid $300, it was installed at a local shop, not just the purchase price, but they were authentic model 81/85s, Anthrax and Metallica, among other notable bands like Slayer IIRC, using the same at the time, convinced me they had pedigree backing, however, the low end budget models took a critical beating.

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (mikkenugent @ Monday, Jan 16 2012, 09:46)
QUOTE (Mr White0161 @ Sunday, Jan 15 2012, 23:13)

Gilmour now uses single coil EMG's, page used Gibson pickups most of the time so id suggest pickin up some Gibson humbuckers 490R and 490T are usually what's in most Gibson's and higher end Epiphones. Great for hard rock to rock to almost anythin, think what sound yur after who used what (realize you won't sound exactly like someone else even if u have the same set up) and you will be in the same ball park. Though I personally love EMG's they might be too "hot" for the style you roll on.

EDIT: You said you have a Les Paul Studio, if it's a Gibson you should be set as if it's a Epiphone I'd throw the 490R & 490T in that sum bitch and yur off to the races.

Much appreciated, I do believe I have now have a basic idea of what I'm going to be looking for next time I'm at the guitar shop or ordering online icon14.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (mikkenugent @ Monday, Jan 16 2012, 09:46)

I recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul myself and wanted to change the pick-ups so this has been pretty useful for me too seeing as I'm after the same sort of sound. Cheers icon14.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:57 PM Edited by Slamman, 18 January 2012 - 07:35 PM.

...And I owned a fat neck (set neck USA model) Gibson Flying V, I tried to get a signature of one that was identical, but I sadly lacked photos when I owned it, but there is a video of it on YouTube!
I wound up selling it in hard times, and not even pawning it, which would have given me a chance to keep it. I felt the Jackson Rhoads was more to my liking.
PAF is one of the best, Ed Van Halen was keen on PAF as well, he wound his own wiring for his pickup projects and made a point about how the pickup poles should be positioned in relation to the strings. One guitar model allows a Double Humbucker you could slide from the bridge position up the body a bit, away from the bridge. As you move them, the poles in relation to the strings change to a slight degree.

Good friend Tom in NYC, he's a BC Rich collector who hit me up after many years in exile, he asked about my guitars, and offered to trade a USA Warlock with custom inlay for my import series NJ classic Ironbird, as well an NJ Rich Bich he'd trade for it, but I've yet to be swayed, I like my Ironbird THAT much! He offered to pay cash for it as well, but so far, just not liking the idea of living without an IB in my guitar stable, as small as it is!

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:37 AM

I've been thinking it might be fun to get a Gibson electric 12string or Double-neck. The guitar place here a couple of months ago had this 0% financing sale along with major discounts. They had a brand new Gibson SG "Angus Young Edition" for $2800, also an electric 12string for the same. I was seriously contemplating getting one of the two however I'd just bought a TV so had no money.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:18 AM Edited by Slamman, 28 January 2012 - 02:38 AM.

Stepping in to Pawn America to do some shopping, They have a DK-2 Jackson, seems it's authentic USA, Just not too sure. Dinky Strat type with custom flame finish, Seymour Duncan pickups, two singles, one HB. Very nice, but they want $449 or so.
Another guitar is a Made in China import BC Rich Custom Series Rich Bich 6 string arch top, black with binding. Both guitars have binding, the Jackson's with shark tooth inlays, the Rich Bich without any inlays, it's styled like Mick Thompson's model, he of Slipknot fame

Well, I think he played one at some point
Archtop was preferred, for imports it adds more impressive bevels then usual

USA and Neal Moser getting credit, new vid, have to include it here ^

The Neal Moser PMS models were intended to celebrate the Bich's anniversary, but only a partial production actually came about due to a falling out right then between Moser and BCR's new owners and management HHI
Sadly, BCR stumbled again with Bernie Rico's death and his son leaving the company, it remains but not really associated to it's origins any longer

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:44 PM Edited by ilovebender.com, 13 February 2012 - 08:08 PM.

I have a 1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard Red Sparkle Top that I had
Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Humbuckers (APH-1)s put into...
I love this guitar, for real, I love it. I love how it plays, how it feels, how it looks and everything.
This is my dream guitar.

I have a lot of cool guitars, but this one, words can't describe how much I love this one.
It was love at first play.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:22 PM Edited by Slamman, 13 February 2012 - 08:26 PM.

My dream guitars are still hand built Neal Moser's BC Rich Bich, ten string design originally, never owned, but always a Kahler version, which is just as nice, really!

user posted image

http://www.nealmoser...products_id=235

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:58 AM Edited by ilovebender.com, 14 February 2012 - 05:01 AM.

Telecaster/Stratocaster Hybrid.
Acoustic Neck Profile
Bone Truss Rod, Mother of pearl fret inlays...

(I didn't design this guitar but my guitar guy knows who built it, and said it was built in the UK.)
I got it at a pawn shop for next to nothing and spent a little having it fixed up, This had a refret in 2009
(When Obama came into office.) But I didn't buy it then, I got this in 2007/2008... Some time like that.

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:45 AM Edited by Mr White0161, 14 February 2012 - 06:48 AM.

I've been working on this for the past hour and a half, my fingers began to bleed (literally) and I had to take a break. I still sound like sh*t compared to Gilmour... but that's a given seeing as how he's one of the true gods up there with Page, Hendrix, and Ray-Vaughan.

Also I'm using a Gibson Les Paul which doesn't happen to have a whammy-bar... which in some cases is a shame. But I guess my wah-wah pedal will have to suffice cool.gif

EDIT:

I've also been f*cking around with this and I must say I'm getting pretty good at it. It's surprisingly quite simple...

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:17 PM Edited by ilovebender.com, 19 February 2012 - 12:21 PM.

Now this is me being ostentatious.

user posted image
In this photo, you can see my guitars, that right there is my Gibson as it was Stock. Zebra Head pickups.

stinomontana
  • stinomontana

contract chiller

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (ilovebender.com @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 12:17)
Now this is me being ostentatious.

user posted image
In this photo, you can see my guitars, that right there is my Gibson as it was Stock. Zebra Head pickups.

QUOTE (ilovebender.com @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 12:17)

just wondering, howlong have you been playing?

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:55 PM Edited by ilovebender.com, 19 February 2012 - 08:03 PM.

A long time...

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

Nice collection, too much Fender for my liking though wink.gif I'm not a big Fender fan but that's just me, many others seem to really enjoy them...

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:43 AM Edited by ilovebender.com, 24 February 2012 - 10:45 AM.

I don't own a Fender... Wished I did.

My Aardvark Guitars Telecaster/Stratocaster hybrid's f*cking cool though.

I once bought a broken Epiphone Explorer Frankenstrat; Explorer neck, Stratocaster body with
a 'Floyd Rose Licensed Trem' 1 bridge humbucker, 2 single coils for middle and neck and a 5
way selector switch.
It had funny paint on it too that some previous owner did, that didn't bother me, I liked it.
I hated the neck profile, traded it for a Columbus Strat, that had the tell tale Columbus pointy
head stock; broken.
I had both peices so that wasn't hard to have fixed, I also had 5 machine heads so I needed
new ones, so I went for a set of black Gotoh machine heads. Then I needed a new humbucker.
This Columbus had a bridge humbucker and 2 single coils for the middle and the neck and a 5
way selector switch.
I also wanted a Floyd Rose, and to my rotten good luck, I found that where I go to have all this
done were/are also the official distributor for Floyd Rose in the UK; almost fell off my seat when
I saw that, I bought a black Floyd Rose Original Trem, my guitar guy measured the neck and
said '6' or something, dipped into a big box of Floyd Rose parts and found the correct lock in nut for
the neck. I had wood cut out of the back of the Columbus, so the bridge is floating,
'I have a floating bridge.' biggrin.gif
I actually needed a new scratch plate because of the Floyd Rose, so I went for a black one to match.
I decided to keep true to the 1 humbucker 2 single coils Strat guitar idea, so I got
2 x Di'Marzio Area 67s (blue) and a Di'Marzio X2N (blue) for the bridge.

I hated it, I hated how it looked, how it sounded and how much I wasted.

So I decided to go with Seymour Duncan. biggrin.gif
I wanted to try the Dimebucker that I heard so much about, so I got a Dimebag signature Seymour
Duncan SH-13 and had it put in the bridge next to the Floyd Rose, sold the 2 Area 67s to cut cost
and had the bridge Di'Marzio X2N put into the neck postion and I decided to go with a toggle switch.
I had a new shinier scratch plate made too, it's got 2 Volume pots and 1 master Tone.

I love how this guitar looks and sounds now... It's great, one of a kind, for what it is...
It's got a Floyd Rose on it though, and I like this guitar, when it's set up, but; Because
of the Floyd Rose bridge, that isn't always the case.

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

Went to the music store the other day and I can't believe what I saw... a brand new Gibson EDS-1275 with the cherry finish (like the one Page so famously used). I picked it up and played, I gotta say it was certainly a different experience playing with two necks.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

I actually really like changing guitars. Michael Schenker once advised players to stick to one guitar, and become more adept that way, but if you just generally love guitars, I can't see avoiding playing on a bunch of 'em!!

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Sunday, Mar 18 2012, 03:27)
I actually really like changing guitars. Michael Schenker once advised players to stick to one guitar, and become more adept that way, but if you just generally love guitars, I can't see avoiding playing on a bunch of 'em!!

I find the best advice that was ever given to me was the feeling of the guitar. How it feels for you, not whether what it looks like or what it is but how it feels to you and only you. I'd love a Les Paul Standard, Custom, Traditional, etc. but I'm going to stick with the Studio because I like how it feels, especially the neck. Some are too thick, too thin, too wide, this one... just right cool.gif

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:10 PM Edited by ilovebender.com, 18 March 2012 - 04:16 PM.

I wish I had more Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standards... the rest of the guitars can go suck one... I also wished I had a VOS Gibson Les Paul, I really want a VOS Gibson Les Paul or a genuine 1959, actually...

I'm pretty picky about my Gibson Les Pauls, I love Gibson Custom Shop, all other Gibsons like all other guitars can go suck one. lol.gif

Some Fenders and some Deans are great to play on actually; but like everything, there's a lot of cr*p out there too.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Never would you see me saying that, Les Pauls are preferred to Fender, but they are heavy and the neck angle seems odd to me, I owned a genuine Flying V (hence my signature at the moment) and a genuine USA Randy Rhoads Jackson, and I prefer Randy's take on the V. Love Gibson's quality pickups, and their guitars are often better lookers then Fender Strats by a large margin, I'd be willing to say.
If money were no object, I'd easily have about 20 guitars or more!

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

I LOVE the weight of my Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard, but then; Playing that guitar is a pretty orgasmic experience.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

The awkward handling of the Gibbo Flying V along with it's rather large radius neck led me to depart with it, I pawned my Jackson to get a DTS/DD receiver, I don't have either any longer, so I certainly live with regrets

mikkenugent
  • mikkenugent

Wolf God

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:57 PM Edited by mikkenugent, 19 March 2012 - 09:59 PM.

Always dug they Gibson vibe, my Les Paul custom crushes most others in my area. Cream colored with EMG 81's emmmmmmm, funny thing i have an Epi custom too and they ain't far off in quality. Both are really nice solid builds, but my black Jackson Rhodes is ridiculously built. it sounds great (not as good as my Paul) and is built like a fukin tank, i have actually thrown off a 5'5" stage onto the floor below and the fuker was fine and pretty much in tune as well. I've had explorers which were awesome, and some Gibson V's as well but at the end of the day nothin' beats a Paul.

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:19 PM Edited by ilovebender.com, 19 March 2012 - 11:24 PM.

QUOTE (Slamman @ Monday, Mar 19 2012, 00:39)
The awkward handling of the Gibbo Flying V along with it's rather large radius neck led me to depart with it, I pawned my Jackson to get a DTS/DD receiver, I don't have either any longer, so I certainly live with regrets

This has nothing to do with anything but a coincidence.

I read that, then when browsing online this morning for would be guitar projects for my own amusement, I just finished scanning eBay and moved on to find amongst other guitars, a bunch of these on Cash Coverters.

user posted image
and was like WTF!? - instantly reminded of this post... But, by Gibbo, I ASSUME you mean a Gibson, and not a Gibbo, as pictured.
'What are the odds?' lol.gif

Puma06111991
  • Puma06111991

asdfghjkl;

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Sunday, Mar 18 2012, 03:27)

New guitars bring new inspiration, in some sort of way. It does for me smile.gif .

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

I love redesigning guitars, that's what I do... Tomorrow I'm spending 185 on guitars. (I'm having stuff done to 3 of my guitars, can't wait. I had to budget and plan for this too and when it's done it's going to be awesome.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users