The New Guitar Topic

1,436 replies to this topic
evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:05 PM

I ordered the prs (25th anniversary custom 24 in sapphire smokeburst with 10 top) yesterday, delivery is 4-6 months......I'm gonna go nuts in the meantime. lol
user posted image
It's going to look something like this smile.gif

Suihkubad
  • Suihkubad

Peon

• Members

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

f*ck. 6 months waiting for a PRS must be harder than not having one at all

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

Step one of my pedal board is finished. I'm going to stain it orange, then build the top to make it a case.

user posted image

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (yngwierocks @ Nov 20 2010, 15:05)
I ordered the prs (25th anniversary custom 24 in sapphire smokeburst with 10 top) yesterday, delivery is 4-6 months......I'm gonna go nuts in the meantime. lol
user posted image
It's going to look something like this smile.gif

One hell of a way to start a PRS collection.

Aussiebushmatt
  • Aussiebushmatt

How's that for a slice of fried gold?

• Members

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

My new guitar finally arrived today and I f*cking love it!

user posted image

ESP LTD EX-360 OW E-Guitar, EX Style, Mahogany Body, Set in Mahogany Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, 22 Frets, 42mm Nut at width, Scale 628 mm, EMG 81 and EMG 60 active Humbucker Pickups, TOM Bridge & Tailpiece, Finish Olympic White

500.30/589

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

Niiiiice.

I just got in the hardware for the pedal board/case I'm building. Once I've got it all in place, I'll post up pictures.

Gundog
  • Gundog

EnTrance

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

Saving up for a Squier Vintage Jazz Bass, since I have no cash to buy a Fender, which costs 3 times as much. Anyone got exp. with Squier guitars? Are they any good? This will be my learning guitar, since I never held one before.

user posted image

Rougarou
  • Rougarou

Blue Dog

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (Gundog @ Dec 15 2010, 20:45)
Saving up for a Squier Vintage Jazz Bass, since I have no cash to buy a Fender, which costs 3 times as much. Anyone got exp. with Squier guitars? Are they any good? This will be my learning guitar, since I never held one before.

user posted image

As far as squiers go their pretty decent guitars for the price and all just don't get anything out of the affinity series from what i heard their rubbish! btw nice looking bass you will be getting! wink.gif

kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:38 PM

[/IMG]http://www.yourguitarreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/vintagemodifiedjazzbass.jpg[/IMG]

That looks pretty nice man, I'm in a similar situation, ordered an Epiphone Thunderbird cause a Gibson one is about five times as much tounge.gif
That comes on Thursday, but for now I have these:

user posted image
My apologies for the sidewardsness.

The P-bass copy is nothing special, gets the job done though. The acoustic was a Christmas present from my friend, it's really nice. Once I get my Thunderbird I'm thinking of stripping the paint off the P-bass and painting the pick guard black.

drscot
  • drscot

Step Into My World

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

not sure about how much it costs in the US, but for 150 you can get a 40 watt Fender Mustang II with 27 effects, and a manual reverb/sustain and a flanger/modulation changer. very modern amp, came out in november. has usb connectivity.

i have two many guitars, basses and amps to post a list off as i am a professional musician, but my favourite has to be my Epiphone Sheraton, although i do like my numerous Gibson les pauls, their basicallly the same as epiphone with a fancy logo

stinomontana
  • stinomontana

contract chiller

• Members

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

i took my les paul to the shop to change my pickups to some seymour duncans slash alnico pro 2's and a new toggle switch 3weeks ago

its still not done yet, and im really starting to miss it sad.gif
cant wait to see how it sounds

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:27 AM

This was released by Gibson quite a while ago but still a good read. A lot of good tunes in there (my hero at #1). Anyways I present (and or just post a link) to you all Gibsons Top 50 Guitar Solos.

-Enjoy cool.gif

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

finally.....after 6 months IT'S HERE
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
chick on them to make them bigger.

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

Just realized, I never posted here, so here's my baby (crappy picture, I know):

user posted image

And here's me performing at a school band thing, got forced to play there 'cause I took additional music classes.

user posted image

I've been playing around with the guitar for as long as I remember, got it in my genes - big bro and dad both play guitar.
Took some classes two summers ago, but I found it boring so I chose to remain self-taught, lol. I'm decent, though. moto_whistle.gif

Stoatz
  • Stoatz

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

I've started jamming on my sister's guitar and own an acoustic, can I have some tips for remembering chords?

Puma06111991
  • Puma06111991

asdfghjkl;

• Members

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:50 AM Edited by Puma06111991, 03 June 2011 - 10:00 AM.

Start playing them and practice, chords have to get into your fingers and that can only be done by practicing smile.gif .

@ Cheat: Guitar looks nice, just the white with the gold and the black isn't really my thing. The guitarist in my band also hasn't got lessons and he's really good too, check him out: (solo @ 2:46 is FCKING EPIC)

QUOTE (WizardOfTruth @ Dec 15 2010, 22:29)

user posted image

As far as squiers go their pretty decent guitars for the price and all just don't get anything out of the affinity series from what i heard their rubbish! btw nice looking bass you will be getting! wink.gif

Squier vintage modified jazz-bass... YEAH!! Good stuff, worth your money a lot! Bought it as my first base and I'm still satisfied with it. It looks good and sounds good. I garantee you that you'll be satisfied with it too smile.gif .

So this is my small collection so far:

user posted image

(from left to right, top to bottom)

- Squier Mexican strat
- Squier Vintage Modified Jazz-Bass
- Alhambra 3C (accoustic)
- Epiphone Thunderbird (made in Korea, not in Chine like nowadays)
- Farida (don't know the type, but great bass, great sound and best look for a bass ever (body is sooooo smooth xD))
- Recently bought a Alhambra 3C with Fishman pre-amp, not on the pic

Owait, here's another pic of the Farida:

user posted image

Rest of the bass kit (older photo):

user posted image

- Hartke LH500 500W bass amp
- Nemesis N410RS speaker

And using a Boss ME-50 panel for some effects I use (actually meant for guitars, but I bought it from my brother for 100 euro's and for me it's fine).

Stoatz
  • Stoatz

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Nov 23 2010, 16:05)
Step one of my pedal board is finished. I'm going to stain it orange, then build the top to make it a case.

user posted image

I'm new to guitar so excuse my ignorance, what are the purposes of these pedals blush.gif

stinomontana
  • stinomontana

contract chiller

• Members

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Stoatz @ Jun 4 2011, 07:17)
I'm new to guitar so excuse my ignorance, what are the purposes of these pedals blush.gif

they are basicly effect pedals and a pedal to switch channel

there are many types of pedals like: wah pedal, delay pedal, distortion pedal, volume pedal.....

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

Just got a quick question.

I'm selling my guitar, amp and stand. I was wondering how much i should sell it for, the guitar Is a Squier Start by fender and it's In perfect condition. The Amp Is a 10 watt Marshall. How much should I sell them for (together)

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (Stoatz @ Jun 4 2011, 02:17)
QUOTE (Moonshield @ Nov 23 2010, 16:05)

[IMG]http://i30.photobuck...1123_105611.jpg[IMG]

Lemmy go over what I use right now:

user posted image

Starting from top right:
Boss TU2 Tuner. It's a chromatic tuner.

Voodoo Labs Pedal Power, which is great for not needing to pug everything in, or using a daisy chain with everything.

Arion Stereo Chorus: I got this free with my first amp. It's an okay chorus, but I rarely use it.

Going down to the red one: MXR Dynacomp 79 reissue: Compressor pedals are cool for some added sustain and consistent tone. I don't have mine cranked like a lot of metal guitarists do, because I use a lot of picking dynamics, but it's still nice to have.

The green one: Ibanez TS9DX: It's a tube screamer that I use to give a great grit to my clean tone (I play out of a Fender Deluxe Reverb, which has a great tone, but super clean, even if it's a very warm tone) and it puts a little more high end when I hit my fuzz.

That grey monster: Mountainking Electronics Megalith. It's a f*cking monster of a fuzz pedal. The guy that makes them is super great to work with, and he usually does custom orders. He runs a small shop in Philly, so the pedals he sells are a little pricier than what you can get at GC or somewhere, but they're worth it. (Mine was $275). The great thing about this guy is with most fuzz pedals (like my Big Muff) is there's no cut in bass frequencies at all. In fact, there's a switch on it that BOOSTS the bass frequencies (the "More Heavy" switch on the right). I love it, and it makes a Muff sound prepubescent.

And a Boss volume pedal. Usually use it for fades and messing with some volume sweeps.

My next pedal's probably going to either be a phaser or MAYYYBE a delay. But I'm looking at Red Witch's Moon Phaser. It's fantastic.

Stoatz
  • Stoatz

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

@Moonshield thanks for that overview smile.gif

So guys I can't seem to get the motivation to play guitar but I really want to learn, so what do you guys do to get the motivation to play? Also would you suggest bands like Panic! At The Disco, 30 Seconds To Mars, Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance as good bands to start off with learning as a begginer?

Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:10 PM

Hi, I'd like to ask something... I've never played an instrument before and I know absulutely nothing about music, and I've been wondering if I could learn to play guitar by myself, or I should take some classes first? Sorry if it's a realy stupid question, but I was just wondering... How did you start?

stinomontana
  • stinomontana

contract chiller

• Members

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (Toup @ Jun 4 2011, 23:10)
Hi, I'd like to ask something... I've never played an instrument before and I know absulutely nothing about music, and I've been wondering if I could learn to play guitar by myself, or I should take some classes first? Sorry if it's a realy stupid question, but I was just wondering... How did you start?

well, i would advise you to take some lessons first.

if you got the basics you can still decide if you want to learn on your own or keep doing lessons.

you can also watch some beginners exercises on youtube

Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (stinomontana @ Jun 5 2011, 09:55)

if you got the basics you can still decide if you want to learn on your own or keep doing lessons.

Hmmm ok, do you have any cheap guitar sugestions? Just to start I think a cheap guitar would do no?

Puma06111991
  • Puma06111991

asdfghjkl;

• Members

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

The best you can do when you want to start playing guitar, is just drop by some guitar-shop or music-shop, take someone that knows about what you want and what's possible with you and ask a lot of questions to one of the employees.

stinomontana
  • stinomontana

contract chiller

• Members

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (Toup @ Jun 5 2011, 09:35)
QUOTE (stinomontana @ Jun 5 2011, 09:55)

Hmmm ok, do you have any cheap guitar sugestions? Just to start I think a cheap guitar would do no?

the problem with most cheap guitars is that they get out of tune very quickly.

personally (if you are looking for an electric guitar), i would recomend an epiphone or a squier, but it really depends on your personal preference though.

like puma said, you should go to a music store and try out some guitars, and pick one you are comfortabel with smile.gif

Stoatz
  • Stoatz

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

More guitar questions, apparently I need to losen my wrists whilst playing what are some ways to easily do it? Also I have a habit of quiting things so what could you guys suggest or say that will make me want to continue to play guitar. I mainly feel like this because I have expected to play guitar perfectly after two lessons which I havent

Puma06111991
  • Puma06111991

asdfghjkl;

• Members

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

Start with easy songs, like "smoke on the water", so you'll feel satisfied about it. Just chords, powerchords, and later on start with small riffs.

Deuce Deuce
  • Deuce Deuce

-

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Stoatz @ Jun 6 2011, 13:25)
More guitar questions, apparently I need to losen my wrists whilst playing what are some ways to easily do it? Also I have a habit of quiting things so what could you guys suggest or say that will make me want to continue to play guitar. I mainly feel like this because I have expected to play guitar perfectly after two lessons which I havent

It's a steep learning curve, it won't just happen over night. Practice every day for a good few years, and you'll thank yourself. If you have enough drive to do it, you'll see results. sh*t-hot shredders like Guthrie Govan and Paul Gilbert weren't even able to play a chord at one point in their life. Everyone starts somewhere.

@Toup: Decide for yourself whether you want to learn acoustic or electric (or both). For budget beginner guitars I would still go with something like Ibanez for their sound and playability. You can't go wrong!

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:36 AM

Buy guitar magazines that have tabs and dvd lessons free with them as well as articles. It'll help you learn and it will help to keep you enthusiastic about it if you have musicians you like doing guest lessons and such. I used to buy "Total Guitar" for a couple of years and learned a lot from it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users