1,915 replies to this topic
Rob.
  • Rob.

Don't Stop

• Zaibatsu

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (lesfleanut @ Mar 4 2007, 07:16)
QUOTE (Canoxa @ Mar 3 2007, 18:12)
Bass is harder than I expected. Dunno if it was because the bass was too low for me and I didn't adjust the strap for those three minutes, or the strings, but they're pretty hard to pretty down with only one finger.

You probably played a horrible peice of sh*t, if you blow on my strings too hard it starts playing Für Elise.

Sounds like a poor attempt at a precision bass canoxa, i'm thinking of getting a new bass, Fender Jazz, i want one so bad, i want a US one after i played one at my friends house, as i hear they're better than the Mexican one's, could anyone tell me the difference?

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

Seeing as there are so many bassists around, what's the difference between the several types of basses?

@ Rob - I'm guessing it's somewhat similar to guitars, better manufacturing, better materials and so on.

lesfleanut
  • lesfleanut

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:19 AM

Rob - Fender has the most horrible quality control issues in the industry, it's been that was since the CBS days... You can go into a music shop and play the most amazing mexican fender and sitting right next to it will be a dead peice of sh*t american fender, and vice-versa. When buying a fender, you really need to spend time with quite a few of them and buy the best one that YOU have played. Don't pay attention to the origin of the bass, but of the quality.

If you REALLY want an awesome fender, buy a Sadowsky.

http://www.sadowsky.com/

Scarface - My bass was 700USD

fox09 - Put some lead weights in the control cavity, it will take care of the neck dive.

Canoxa - You're gonna need to be a little more specific.

fox09
  • fox09

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:15 PM

user posted image

Can some identify this for me?

Thanks.

ThaddeusMcKlown
  • ThaddeusMcKlown

Relentless Pursuit of Progress

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:36 PM

@Fox: Can't say I can, but I'd be interested too.

Looks like an odd mix of an SG and a Strat.... probably a knockoff of some sort.

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:48 PM

My favorite guitarists would probably be Pete Townshend, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, and other generic ones like that.

My gear includes an Austin strat copy and an epiphone lp. I use a crappy spiderIII 30w amp too. I plan on buying a used telecaster soon and a better amp.

Gouveia
  • Gouveia

#YardOn

• The Yardies
  • Brazil

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:53 PM

Mah axe tounge.gif
user posted image
Brazilian like me, this Tagima is so cool to play and that paintjob kicks some serious ass IMO

fox09
  • fox09

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:50 PM Edited by fox09, 24 March 2007 - 01:47 AM.

user posted image

Newest addition to Fox's family of sexy guitars.

I really wanted something that was more for blues-type stuff. Lately I've been into B.B. King, and SRV type stuff. I was in a pawnshop looking for some of my harder to find music, and I picked this up, and it just seemed perfect. It was exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, since it was a pawn shop, it was missing it's tremelo bar. So I'm gunna have to find an extra one from a repair shop or something.

As a side note, the picture is of a PAC112XJ model, mine is PAC112X. No J. tounge.gif Although there doesn't seem to be much of a difference as far as looks go. I think mine is just an older model. wink.gif

Edit: Thanks a lot Vac.

vacuumo
  • vacuumo

demagogue

• The Precinct

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:14 AM Edited by vacuumo, 24 March 2007 - 01:20 AM.

QUOTE (fox09 @ Mar 21 2007, 17:15)
user posted image

Can some identify this for me?

Thanks.

Sure as hell can, it's a Hagström III. I don't think they were too well known outside of Sweden. I'm sure you've heard the sound of a Hagström at least once, as Noel Redding played an eight-string (two courses) Hagström bass in his Experience days.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (lesfleanut @ Mar 5 2007, 06:19)

I will. I meant to ask what is the difference between precision basses and jazz basses, mainly.

fox09
  • fox09

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (Canoxa @ Mar 24 2007, 23:24)
QUOTE (lesfleanut @ Mar 5 2007, 06:19)

I will. I meant to ask what is the difference between precision basses and jazz basses, mainly.

P-basses are more expensive. tounge.gif

user posted image
Jazz Bass.
user posted image
P-Bass.

The P-bass was essentially one of the first electric basses, made by Leo Fender. The Jazz bass is the succesor, also made by Leo.

Both are made for the same type of thing, pretty much, jazz/blues-type stuff. I couldn't tell you how each one plays, as I've never sat down, and played them side by side, but I would bet they're pretty similar.

Les'll know more about this than I do.

ISd3d
  • ISd3d

Member Title

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:54 PM

Good books for beginners? I've been playing for a while now but I've decided to start reading books to better understand everything. A friend gave me The Heavy Guitar Bible and it's pretty cool.

Lost-Fender
  • Lost-Fender

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:11 AM Edited by Lost-Fender, 27 March 2007 - 02:22 AM.

QUOTE (ISd3d @ Mar 26 2007, 16:54)
Good books for beginners? I've been playing for a while now but I've decided to start reading books to better understand everything. A friend gave me The Heavy Guitar Bible and it's pretty cool.

I learned most of the stuff I know from Guitar For Dummies, Wikipedia and from experience (which is better for me). But it's better learning with a teacher than with a book, in my opinion. A book can't tell you if you're fingering wrong a chord, or it can't explain you something if you don't understand it. tounge.gif

@ fox09 and the bass discussion: The difference in sound between the P-bass and Jazz Bass is that the Jazz bass has a brighter, more vivid sound. It's pretty straight foward, and because of its sound it's often used in power trios. It is also focused for jazz players (duh). But the P-bass is far more popular.

ThaddeusMcKlown
  • ThaddeusMcKlown

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (ISd3d @ Mar 26 2007, 12:54)

Teachers are still the best way to learn.
But, this book looks pretty good.

If you can't afford a teacher, find a freind who's been playing a while... a year or so maybe - that way they can help explain stuff if it gets really confusing or they could help you if you just don't get something.

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Flyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:49 PM

Are most of the people here bass players or what? lol.

anyways,

I like Fender and sh*tty cheap brand guitars

but I hate Yamaha guitars with a passion. the action on them is almost impossible, they look and feel horrible. you just know when your holding a sh*tty yamaha

I dont like heavy metal shaped guitars, I prefer the classic style older guitars, I like Telecasters but I f*cking hate the stupid headstock on the telecaster, it looks so ugly.

guitarrocker
  • guitarrocker

And they won't rest until you're dead.

• Members

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:52 PM

My Les Paul.

My ESP.

ESP headstock.

Real Floyd Rose. (Locked the annoying thing of course.)

My rig right now.

ThaddeusMcKlown
  • ThaddeusMcKlown

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

@Guitarrocker: nice rig and nice axes, my freind.

Me and my SG last night at band practice....
clicky
The bandana around my arm is for my boy Andy, who died last week of cancer.

Did trade off solos for the first time yesterday, as i'm not used to playing with another lead guitarist, it was pretty sweet. The other guy, Scott, blows me out of the water, though. Still fun smile.gif

I'm gonna post some info on my rig later.

Billy.The.Mountain
  • Billy.The.Mountain

Slimey

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:03 PM

Well I personally only have a Epi SG and an Ibanez acoustic (signed 2x by Joe Satriani smile.gif)

but the whole family all up has a range of Fenders (none of this mexican crap) and I think 1 Gibson SG, but more gibsons on the way, some fender acoustics, some no name guitars to torture and play and mod with, a nice new gretsch, atm my Epi is being worked on so I have the Fender '72(or '74 not sure) Tele Thinline. With the f hole . It's amazingly good to play. It's the only tele I like, humbuckers, it's a true beauty. Sounds so nice to play some blues/jazz improv on.

We have a steel guitar, an early 1900's resonater not sure what it is, i think a fender reso, 2 martin's , very nice sounding.
A nice ibanez acoustic that isn't mine , it's an artwood i think not sure the model.

we have more, but i'm rounding it all up.

we got like a squier and an LP copy, the LP copy isn't that bad though..

Yeah there's more.. Just so you know, theres been guitars come and go, and theyve been accumulated over a period of atleast 30 years, though in the past 5 years my dads been buying quite a few.

I love everything from metal to jazz. I can play speedmetal, blues (studying jazz and neoclassical, a little classical, flamenco and a lil ragtime, but not much), metal.. To be honest, if it's a good band (imo) then I like the music. Ranges from Zappa to Carcass, the Beatles to the Doors, Sabbath to Tommy Emmanuel.

-----

I was playing a JEM and a JS 1000 today (not sure the JEM model) amongst other guitars at a store. I preferred the JS-1000 for some reason. But I played a JEM once before and it felt really nice, I dunno what went different.. Ohwell.

----

I love guitarists like Zappa, Becker, Friedman, Paige, Beck, Clapton, Emmanuel, Rhoads, Gilbert, Santana, Morello, Satch, Vai, jeez, all good (imo true) guitarists.

No Escape?
  • No Escape?

Skaficionado

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:39 AM

I'm going to be renting a bass soon, to try it out. I'm curious as to what brand I should be on the lookout for...I don't have an exact one in mind and all I can think of are Rickenbacker, Schecter, MusicMan and, obviously, Fender. The music I'd be playing is standard (rock, maybe some jazz), so this further simplifies the choices, but I'd figure I'd ask here in case there was a specific model anyone wished to suggest. Bare in mind, I'm a beginner, hence the rental.

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:44 AM

the Fender would prob'ly be a good one to start with...when i first started, i made do with a locally made bass, but i soon got a standard Fender Jazz Bass, which was good for the kinda music i played - 60s-80s rock, 50s-60s rock 'n roll...they're a bit expensive though, but worth every penny of the investment...

since you're starting out, try out a few of the models at the store from which you'd be renting and get a "feel" for the guitar...more important than anything else would be to feel comfortable with what you've slung across your shoulder...

You'll Never Walk Alone

nabo45
  • nabo45

Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:45 AM

Im gonna buy a new guitar and ive looked at this one
user posted image
its an Ibanez SA260FM is it worth it?

fox09
  • fox09

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:09 AM

@ No Escape?: Also, keep on the lookout for Yamaha stuff. I've got a both a Yamaha bass, and guitar, and I love them both. But if you're just starting out, you could always hit a pawnshop, slap down $150 on the counter, and buy a peice of crap. icon14.gif Who knows, you might even get lucky and find something amazing for cheap.

P.S. Cort

@ Nabo: I was looking at that a while back before I got my EVL K6. They're really nice, and weigh next to nothing. Good guitar. icon14.gif

lesfleanut
  • lesfleanut

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:46 AM

I think I might go out tomorrow and purchase a bass.

lesfleanut
  • lesfleanut

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:49 AM Edited by lesfleanut, 24 April 2007 - 06:48 AM.

QUOTE (lesfleanut @ Apr 22 2007, 02:46)
I think I might go out tomorrow and purchase a bass.

user posted image

1975 Fender Jazz Reissue... there's three differences between that pic and my bass:

1) Mine doesn't have the gay chrome pickup and bridge covers

2) Mine has a rosewood fingerboard

3) My inlays are mother of pearl blocks, not black.

Other than that it's exactly the same. Snagged it for 600 bucks used in pristine condition.

EDIT: Planned mods - BadAss bridge, Audre preamp, Bartolini p/up's.

EDIT2: I should mention that I don't physically have this bass yet, I bought it from a friend in new york, but I won't have it for about another week. Yes, I've played this bass.

Lost-Fender
  • Lost-Fender

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:34 PM

Anyone checked the new VG Stratocaster?

For those who don't know about it yet, it's guitar which "tunes itself to different tunings and changes its sound just by turning a know on the guitar". In short, this axe is just an American Strat that changes sound by itself. From the "Mode Knob" you can change the guitars sound to Normal, Stratocaster, Humbucking... and surprisingly enough, Telecaster and Accoustic. Apart from these, it's plain sexy. inlove.gif

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Lost-Fender @ May 5 2007, 20:04)
Anyone checked the new VG Stratocaster?

man, this axe looks ace! though i don't like calling any of the Fender's an axe...i'm in the market for one, so maybe i'll get this...have to test it out, though...

You'll Never Walk Alone

PCJ.
  • PCJ.

Shaggy

• Members

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

Admittedly, I've never played one, but seems like a bit of a gimmick. Theres already plenty of options to get all those tones as it is, and to be honest, you would probably only use the humbucker and strat settings anyway. If you really want a humbucker tone, change out one of the stock pickups. As for the acoustic setting, half the reason I play an acoustic when I do, is the feel of an acoustic as opposed to an electric. And personally, I've never found use for a 12 string.

Bottom line is that modeling never sounds as good as the real thing. That being said I wouldn't mind trying it out to see how it compares.

G twenty-nine
  • G twenty-nine

• Members

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

A question for all you guitarists:

Floyd rose/not floyd rose?

I have a Jackson Rhodes, which of course has a floyd rose bridge. I love how sharp the sound is, but it really sucks to change the strings or mess it all up for a different tuning (which is why I keep it a whole step down).

guitarrocker
  • guitarrocker

And they won't rest until you're dead.

• Members

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (G twenty-nine @ May 5 2007, 15:54)

I have a Jackson Rhodes, which of course has a floyd rose bridge. I love how sharp the sound is, but it really sucks to change the strings or mess it all up for a different tuning (which is why I keep it a whole step down).

I have a lot of different bridges, and on my ESP, I have a Floyd Rose. It just got so annoying, that I locked it, and now I can tune to anything, and it stays in tune exponentially better. To lock it, you need to place a piece of wood behind it and put more springs in the backside of the guitar. Trust me, it's better off that way. tounge.gif

ThaddeusMcKlown
  • ThaddeusMcKlown

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (G twenty-nine @ May 5 2007, 17:54)

Pssh.
Ibanez Zero Resistance Trem.
Best trem unit ever...... FAR smoother than any FR I've played, and I've played several customized and custom built ones...
Changing tunings hardly affects it at all, and if it did, you can adjust the spring tension by just turning a knob. It's the shiznit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users