Quantcast

» «
Photo

BUGS, GLITCHES, and INCOMPLETES

682 replies to this topic
Dylan2112
  • Dylan2112

I'm quite aware; my screen name SUCKS...

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 2 2007, 20:58)
QUOTE (ITBTD @ Jun 2 2007, 15:23)
i just noticed that the gta lc Police Siren SFX is not the gta 3 Police Siren. its the gta 3 fire truck Siren.

No, you are wrong. As far as I know, the fire truck and police car shared the same siren SFX in GTA3, and the sounds have been copied directly from GTA3, and are in the right spot in LC. Check space's SFX guide in the Misc. forum if you don't believe me (I just checked it, and both the GTA3 and LC archives).

in gta3, that siren for the fire truck was made slower, in gta lc the pilice car is like that but gta3 police isnt

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ May 31 2007, 14:00)
QUOTE (SteaVor @ May 31 2007, 12:22)
@MM:
What are you doing exactly to replicate III's handling? Do you manipulate some pointers  to make the III EXE parse the actual handling.cfg?

What I'm planning is to read the handling.cfg data, and use that data exactly like III. I could have copied the assembly code into IIItoVC but for quickness I just loaded III's exe into memory and called the function from there.

I'll have to check this but I think VC:Traffic reloads the .cfg data during new games. This might mess with your plans. I'll check it and notify you.

Alex

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:26 PM

Why the hell I cant get over 2 wanted level stars whatever I am doing ?

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (ITBTD @ Jun 6 2007, 14:52)
QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 2 2007, 20:58)
QUOTE (ITBTD @ Jun 2 2007, 15:23)
i just noticed that the gta lc Police Siren SFX is not the gta 3 Police Siren. its the gta 3 fire truck Siren.

No, you are wrong. As far as I know, the fire truck and police car shared the same siren SFX in GTA3, and the sounds have been copied directly from GTA3, and are in the right spot in LC. Check space's SFX guide in the Misc. forum if you don't believe me (I just checked it, and both the GTA3 and LC archives).

in gta3, that siren for the fire truck was made slower, in gta lc the pilice car is like that but gta3 police isnt

I'm not sure how that works then. I wouldn't have thought that the EXE could change the speed at which the siren sounded as that's defined in the actual audio file confused.gif . Although, it is clear that somewhere the game engine plays a part in how the SFX sounds - the car explosion sound in LC, for example, is exactly the same WAV file as in GTA3, but it sounds significantly different. I'm not sure how we're going to fix these problems. I guess some research will need to be done as to how exactly the EXE deals with certain SFX files.

@stef_92 - Are you using debug mode or normal mode?

I'm assuming also that you're on Portland? I haven't seen a report of this bug for a while, but it's on the checklist (3b-19).

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 7 2007, 00:21)
I'm not sure how that works then. I wouldn't have thought that the EXE could change the speed at which the siren sounded as that's defined in the actual audio file confused.gif .

When a sound is to be played the game stores the info on how it is played in a data structure which is then passed to the Miles Sound System module. The SFX ID of the sound is stored at offset 0x1C of this structure, there are other values that are set (I'm guessing things like the pitch, volume, 3D position, etc.) but as of now all I know is the SFX ID offset...

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:39 PM Edited by SteaVor, 07 June 2007 - 03:07 PM.

The wanted level issue is interesting, I can't get more than 2 stars either (though there's nothing in the code that would suggest such a limit) and I'm guessing that you can't kill fast enough to amass the criminal points necessary to increase your wanted level - it was quite difficult for me to keep my 1 star wlvl!!! (the star kept disappearing... mercie_blink.gif )
If I'm right, the reason could be the sparse population of LC (it's being worked on, but the ped appearance params are very difficult to configure).

DungD2N
  • DungD2N

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:31 PM

Yeah! I've seen it to, hehe...

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Jun 7 2007, 19:10)
QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 7 2007, 00:21)
I'm not sure how that works then.  I wouldn't have thought that the EXE could change the speed at which the siren sounded as that's defined in the actual audio file confused.gif .

When a sound is to be played the game stores the info on how it is played in a data structure which is then passed to the Miles Sound System module. The SFX ID of the sound is stored at offset 0x1C of this structure, there are other values that are set (I'm guessing things like the pitch, volume, 3D position, etc.) but as of now all I know is the SFX ID offset...

Yeah, I thought it might be something like that. As with everything else, it would stand to reason that we could fix it, although it's going to take a fair bit of research I'd imagine. Also, I think it would pave the way for fixing the "positioning" of the background sounds (such as the SSV bridge alarm, which can only be heard when you are quite close to the bridge in LC, yet in GTA3, it echoed across Staunton and SSV). If possible, the easiest way to fix these issues might be to compare how this stuff is loaded in the GTA3 engine and see if it can be directly replicated in LC (in a similar way to how you're doing the handling). I say that from a completely uneducated perspective though, so I could be wrong tounge.gif . Tis just a thought.

Dylan2112
  • Dylan2112

I'm quite aware; my screen name SUCKS...

• Members

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

this area right here accross from the portland hospital needs collision, and if it gets collision, the player will need a way to get out of there
user posted image
user posted image

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:08 AM

Thanks, I've added it to the checklist icon14.gif .

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:13 PM

VC:Traffic definitely reloads the handling.cfg during new game start-up. So all changes should be placed into the proc that loads the .cfg. And, in order to ensure compability with no-VC:traffic-games, there should be a test if VC:Traffic is present and if not, the LC .asi should load the .cfg on its own. If VC:Traffic is loaded, I think 0x6DFFE0 is != 0.

Alex

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:01 PM Edited by SteaVor, 10 November 2007 - 02:53 PM.

Here's a little nuisance that has bothered my eyes for AGES - but I never came around to report it because it was so minor that it didn't justify such an effort. tounge.gif
Here's how the garage door north of Toni's Restaurant in Portland currently looks like:
user posted image
The door object is Garagedr_oddjob.dff, it uses the door.txd textures. The one responsible for the ugly overlay is Window73_64HV. It's a very minor model fix, but I'm unable to fix it because Zmodeler refuses to cooperate... sarcasm.gif
Here's how it should look like:
user posted image
This is also LC; I achieved this by modifying the alpha layer of Window73_64HV but that's obviously no real fix because the texture is used for other models and must therefore remain unchanged.

It should be one of the easiest fixes now, with all the info provided.

--------------------------------------------------------------

And while we're at it:
user posted image
This one's firescapa1.dff, but there are many more examples and it's not a model, but a drawing/culling issue. (IDE flags?) It's rendered correctly when I choose another angle:
user posted image
The left one is correct, the right one isn't.

tacojoe
  • tacojoe

Mother âucker

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:25 AM

Here are some bugs i found.
There is traffic shortage in Portland at the beginning of the game. On the mission "Chaperone" when the SWAT team arrives, the game crashes.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Jun 12 2007, 23:01)
I'm currently working on a SCM update, here's what I got so far:
- lock_car applied in the GML hideout cutscene (it looks strange if the car is sliding on the ground)
- 'S' icon appears after SCAM
- 100% is simulated engine-wise (mission_points += 154) so that you'll indeed get unlimited ammo, double health for vehicles etc. when you set MASTERLC100COMPLETED to 1
- disabled the aforementioned flag - MASTERLC100COMPLETED was still activated in the latest (LCSCM170507) version; and playing the missions with the M60 pickup at the hideout (and unlimited ammo) isn't exactly challenging.  wink.gif

I'm going to consult the checklist once again to determine my next task...
- Ah, the faggio cruising in Portland - let's see...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Checklist issues:

3-13b (the wasted/busted issue in east staunton) has nothing to do with SCM(east staunton IS recognized as staunton territory correctly), but it's most probably related to the ZON/GXT error that prevents this very zones from being recognized correctly.

I'm not too sure that 3-31 is a LC-specific bug, as far as I remember I experienced the suicide when I played GTA3 for the very first time - namely while the cutscene played! I was quite surprised that I'd passed the mission before I even realized what I was supposed to do, but hey.

I've quoted this here for reference, but I've removed it from your original post so I can just link to that in the checklist. wink.gif

Thanks anyway - I've fixed that stuff up. 3-13b has been moved to the General Issues section, and I've added a note to 3-31.

@tacojoe - thanks. Both of those have been reported and we're working on fixes for them at the moment. Hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer.

For temporary workarounds - there's a package in the Download topic which enables you to get past Chaperone. And to fix the traffic problem, just delete the vc_traffic.asi file from your LC directory.

smile.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (tacojoe @ Jun 14 2007, 02:25)
On the mission "Chaperone" when the SWAT team arrives, the game crashes.

I didn't notice until yesterday that this is my fault. IIItoVC was reading the wrong pointer for the vehicle pool causing the call to opcode 00AC (is_car_on_land) to crash the game. You won't have this crash in the next release of IIItoVC...

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Jun 14 2007, 13:53)
I didn't notice until yesterday that this is my fault.

I recall a lengthy discussion about this very subject - you really should create your own checklist to keep track of everything - you're working on many different things as far as I'm aware. You can add 'umlaut and other special character support for pager' to this list of yours then.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:06 PM

Well what I really meant was that I didn't realise the problem was reading the wrong pointer. When it was reported I couldn't figure out the problem, then whilst going through the process of getting cutscene head functionality working I found that the pointer was wrong, therefore solving the 00AC crash.

I do work on alot of things at once, causing me to easily forget other things I'm supposed to do. What I will do first of all is build a list of features already in IIItoVC, then create a list of things to do, it'll keep me more organised.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:48 PM

Would you mind sharing that list (with me and SteaVor at least) please? I'd just like to keep track of what's going on, and seeing as SteaVor's really involved in development as well, it might be useful. Just whenever you get a chance - I won't be taking much of a look until after Tuesday next week anyway. smile.gif

On another unrelated note - where has Konstantinos gone? dontgetit.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 15 2007, 00:48)
Would you mind sharing that list (with me and SteaVor at least) please?

Find the list here. I will be updating it when it's needed...

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

Wow, are all of the features in the first list mostly implemented already? That's definitely a huge list, and I don't think there's anything major missing, apart from the treatment of handling.cfg.

Wanted level suspension (minor) - should it be made accessible through gta-lc.ini, too?

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:14 PM Edited by Ben, 15 June 2007 - 11:22 PM.

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Jun 15 2007, 18:48)
QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 15 2007, 00:48)
Would you mind sharing that list (with me and SteaVor at least) please?

Find the list here. I will be updating it when it's needed...

Thanks. Looks like it's coming along very well icon14.gif .

Aside from the handling (which SteaVor mentioned), I remember you saying a while ago you were looking into modifying Hammer's launcher to implement some stuff. I'm wondering if it would be possible to implement some checkboxes to deal with the gta-lc.ini stuff (where applicable) - for example, with the vicechee and the culling? It just makes it a bit more user friendly for customising, especially for our less-experienced users.

But yeah, it looks really good. I can't wait to try it out next week sometime. I'll try and jump on MSN to catch up with you, when I get a chance.

smile.gif

EDIT - By the way, if you don't have it already, you'll need to grab the latest gta-lc.ini file from this package wink.gif .

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:46 AM Edited by SteaVor, 16 June 2007 - 10:15 AM.

3-25b (There's no text-box pop-up telling you about your reward when you get 10 or 20 hidden packages) - probably a problem on the 'bug' finder's install that prevents the pager from appearing (ASI deleted?), because it works perfectly fine for me (and the code hasn't been touched for a very long time). You can remove it from the list - it isn't (and has never been) a bug at all.

Ben, could you please place a note somewhere that we'd like to have the outlined Launcher behaviour (in regards to treatment of the audio files), so that the launcher automatically redirects every audio slot to a blank file unless specified otherwise in the INI? I really don't like the current, bloated INI that consists of thousands of redundant entries.

EDIT: Moved some parts to Mission Coding IV

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:57 PM

I've fixed all of that stuff (including the stuff in Mission Coding IV) up for you icon14.gif . The note about the launcher is item 2-34 on the checklist.

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Jun 16 2007, 20:21)
Regarding 3-7b(Activation of Securicar Garage at the docks):
What about OpCode 03A5 (used to 'activate' the garage)? I think it should be added to the opcode emulation list, because there isn't a garage type like that in VC (hence 02FA - change garage to type -  can hardly be used).

Rather than wasting the time and adding it to the list in Mission Coding IV, I'll just reference it here so that MM can add it (and the other stuff in my post above) to his list.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:47 PM Edited by SteaVor, 16 June 2007 - 02:16 PM.

Thanks, Ben.

I'm wondering why no one ever mentioned that the size of the little squares (the 'markers') on the radar is wrong - GTA3's are smaller than VC's/LC's --> EXE issue. And the color of the mission markers has to be made lighter/more transparent to resemble III's.
The targeting interface for the rocket launcher doesn't use the whole screen, but just the central section of the screen in III.

And it's far easier to complete Van Heist in LC than in III at the moment (even though I have no idea why), not the other way around as suggested in 3-33.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:06 AM

Thanks - I've fixed up all that stuff (including the bits from Mission Coding again wink.gif ).

You're doing plenty of great work - keep it up icon14.gif . After my exams, I'll have to see if I can find another shiny star for you... ph34r.gif

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:03 AM Edited by SteaVor, 17 June 2007 - 08:35 PM.

3-41: Cannot be fixed (easily), should also happen in GTA3
3-2b : BAIT Sentinels dent proof - notify.gif They aren't supposed to be DP - neither the code nor Demarest's walkthrough suggest this.
3-11b/5-8 : It's the same in GTAIII - could possibly be improved Fixed
3-17b: Should be the same as with the markers hanging in mid-air -> VC engine limitation
3-24b: It's not supposed to show up - you don't get a text_box in III either

3-10 (Turismo corona sound) fixed (III plays sound automatically when a corona is picked up, VC doesn't), BBS fixed

I'm thinking about writing a quick SCM workaround for the Securicar garage. Shouldn't be too difficult. Mostly done

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Jun 17 2007, 20:03)
3-41: Cannot be fixed (easily), should also happen in GTA3
3-2b : BAIT Sentinels dent proof - notify.gif They aren't supposed to be DP - neither the code nor Demarest's walkthrough suggest this.
3-11b/5-8 : It's the same in GTAIII - could possibly be improved Fixed
3-17b: Should be the same as with the markers hanging in mid-air -> VC engine limitation
3-24b: It's not supposed to show up - you don't get a text_box in III either

3-10 (Turismo corona sound) fixed (III plays sound automatically when a corona is picked up, VC doesn't), BBS fixed

I'm thinking about writing a quick SCM workaround for the Securicar garage. Shouldn't be too difficult. Mostly done

Thanks, I've crossed all those off (and added notes where applicable), EXCEPT for the Securicar fix. Just post again when you've done that and I'll fix it up (probably tomorrow - I'm just taking a quick study break at the moment).

smile.gif

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:23 AM Edited by SteaVor, 18 June 2007 - 07:19 PM.

I've been able to recreate the Securicar_garage's behaviour, even though I couldn't use any of the garage opcodes (accept_car, car_inside_garage) because the garage didn't recognize cars that were caught with 03C1 (store_player_car). The code worked flawlessly when I'd tested it with a create_car'd vehicle. turn.gif
I'm now in the process of tidying and reviewing the code, it should be released within the next hour.
Attention:
GXT string "GA_10" will have to be changed everywhere, because you get $5000 reward for every Securicar, not $1500.

Fixing the RTB garage would be an entirely different process and wouldn't be worth the huge effort necessary. So we can't do anything there until the garage types from III are properly emulated.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:17 PM

Ben, you could update the Mission Coding IV list to reflect that Van Heist has proper audio now. Isn't it outdated (horribly) anyway?

MM, your list is missing the one-sided texture issue. It would be nice if the old fence model etc. could finally be used.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Jun 18 2007, 20:17)
MM, your list is missing the one-sided texture issue. It would be nice if the old fence model etc. could finally be used.

I already solved this. This falls under object culling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users