Photo

BUGS, GLITCHES, and INCOMPLETES

682 replies to this topic
ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ May 28 2010, 19:39)
Could somebody with exe knowledge help me with this crash report? It happens when I approach Asuka's condo. It's the predator that's causing it and I checked over all of the files and the data for that looks right.
CODE
Exception at address: 0x005C2D01
EXE Version:          gta-vc.exe 1.0 US
Last opcode executed: 0001 wait
In thread:            ambul_m

Registers -----------------------------------------------------
EAX: 0x80000000 EBX: 0x0018F3F0 ECX: 0x80000000 EDX: 0x80000000
ESI: 0x0018F384 EDI: 0x0018F378 EBP: 0x00978940 ESP: 0x0018F33C
EFLAGS: 1000010000001010000110

This crash is happening when the game is trying to get the level of a specific part of water (based on x, y and z co-ordinates passed to the function). The value in the EAX register is way off and the only reason for that to happen is for an invalid value for the x co-ordinate being passed to the function.

Has this crash always happened or is it from recent modifications?

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:44 AM

It started recently with the Beta 3.1 files. If I set the $CAR104 (the Predator) spawn value to 0, the game does not crash. But when it's 101 it will crash just before the Predator spawns. The other boats show up fine.

The easiest way to recreate this bug is to play with debug on (and make sure $CAR104 is set to 101). Spawn a DeLorean and fly towards Asuka's condo. It should crash right away then.

I did change a bunch of files to get the extra VC cars and to add your peds. By my memory, these files changed: the image, default, carcols, handling, vehicles.col, gta-lc.ini (for the handling values), and american.gxt.

Weirdo.
  • Weirdo.

Some crazy stuff on that internet!

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

The game crashes immediately upon start-up. I'm running Windows 7 x64.

"gta vc.exe has stopped working"

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:03 PM

If you provide the info that's in the gta-lc-scm.log file, we can probably help you more. Also if you tell us which steps you took to install the mod (be specific) we could maybe tell you what went wrong.

By the way, has anybody gotten 3.1 to work yet (besides me)? I'm still not certain it uploaded correctly. And I'm aware the blank audio is missing.

Weirdo.
  • Weirdo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ May 29 2010, 14:03)
If you provide the info that's in the gta-lc-scm.log file, we can probably help you more. Also if you tell us which steps you took to install the mod (be specific) we could maybe tell you what went wrong.

By the way, has anybody gotten 3.1 to work yet (besides me)? I'm still not certain it uploaded correctly. And I'm aware the blank audio is missing.

I made a copy of GTA VC's installation, then I copied all of the files over from the extracted installation. To end it, I copied all the audio from GTA III (excluding sfx.raw and sfx.sdt) .

I started up the game, went past the videos and the main screen, then... it crashed.

Oh yeah, and it crashed before it could make a log.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:31 AM

Well, I've found out a lot more about the crash regarding the Predator. I even stopped it from crashing, but I haven't truly solved the problem (I just worked around it).

Anyway, I noticed the Freeway was acting weird too since the last update. The bike was half sunken into the ground and it would not drive. It reminded me of the old bugs when the handling data was not mapped correctly. So following that hunch I switched the handling data in gtalc.ini back to the Beta 3 values. Of course that meant the new cars were screwed up, but I was then able to drive the Freeway properly and as a bonus, the predator didn't crash the game. It did fly way up in the sky and blew up when I entered it so I knew it wasn't all right yet.

So after fiddling around with the handling values, I switched the Predator and the Rio around. Now the Predator works perfectly. I couldn't find a value to swap with the Freeway to get that working though. So I changed the default.ide so the Freeway temporarily uses the Angel's handling.

New default line for the Freeway (temporary)
CODE
193, freeway,   freeway,   bike,    ANGEL,     FREEWAY,    bikeh,   motorbike,   10,    7,    0,         23,                 0.654

New handling data for gtalc.ini
CODE
[CarHandling]
BOXVILLE=BELLYUP
BENSON=MRWONGS
SABRE1=DIABLOS
GANGBUR=HOODS
VOODOO=YARDIE
SPARROW=DELOFLY
DELUXO=DELODRV
HERMES=PANLANT
SPAND=COLUMB
KAUFMAN=BORGNINE
BLOODRB=YAKUZA
TOPFUN=GENLEE
OCEANIC=BLISTA
PREDATOR=RIO
RIO=PREDATOR

Maybe with this information we can figure out what's really causing this to happen. However the answer is probably inside Hammer's launcher files and I don't know if we still have the source code for that.

The downside to my workaround is that the Rio would no longer be usable, and the Freeway and Angel would have the exact same handling.

Claude Speed.
  • Claude Speed.

I'm still around...

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:56 AM Edited by Claude Speed., 30 May 2010 - 10:55 AM.

QUOTE (Weirdo. @ May 29 2010, 22:57)
I started up the game, went past the videos and the main screen, then... it crashed.

Oh yeah, and it crashed before it could make a log.

Same here. Also audio doesn't work. I tried with both III's and VC's sfx. It says 'No audio device found'. It crashes as soon as I press Start New Game.
Edit: Fixed. CRUSH.mp3 was missing. I put a file to replace it and it worked.

Also, Craig probably knows this as he passed 100%, but in the opening cinematic when the narrator starts I can't see the cars that were supposed to be there (The Patriot, Cheetah, Kuruma, Rumpo). The van and Patriot spawn when they stop on the bridge.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for finding the missing file. It seems I've forgotten how to upload Beta packages. I've re-uploaded 31update.rar with the missing files. The link is in the first post.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ May 30 2010, 06:31)
However the answer is probably inside Hammer's launcher files and I don't know if we still have the source code for that.

Luckily Hammer still hosts the launcher source code on his website. I'll have a look into this handling problem when I convert the Delphi source code to C++.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Claude Speed. @ May 30 2010, 11:56)
Also, Craig probably knows this as he passed 100%, but in the opening cinematic when the narrator starts I can't see the cars that were supposed to be there (The Patriot, Cheetah, Kuruma, Rumpo). The van and Patriot spawn when they stop on the bridge.

This is known, although I don't remember why exactly it's still not fixed. More specifically, I don't remember why it's necessary to apply all the intro-specific opcodes to the opening cutscene - is there somebody who could enlighten me as to why we cannot treat it as "just another CS"?

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:15 PM

There are GTA3 exclusive opcodes that control the vehicles in that cutscene. Way back when that mission was first converted (about five years ago) Hammer was not able to figure out how to convert those over. I have a feeling ModelingMan or another of our exe gurus here might have better luck if they tried again.

I never put a priority on asking someone to do it as I didn't feel it was worth the time as that's almost always skipped. But if it can be done and someone is willing to put in the time, it would be great to have it done.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:28 PM

I figured that much, but still fail to see why we would need to use those specific opcodes as there's nothing in the CS that couldn't be realized with the usual "goto XY" opcodes (as far as I can tell at least).

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

Feel free to do it that way if you'd like. I won't stop you.

tounge.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:09 PM Edited by ModelingMan, 31 May 2010 - 05:24 PM.

After much confusion as to why the more recent versions of IIItoVC weren't being used, I've discovered the horrible bug contained in them. The 2008 versions of IIItoVC use a C++ conversion of the vcversion module. The process of converting vcversion was simply using find and replace in notepad, but there was one part of the code which I hadn't covered. In Pascal/Delphi to compare two values to see if they are equal you use one equals character (=) and in C/C++ you use two (==). When converting vcversion I hadn't changed this, causing the value to be assigned rather than compared (very bad). So as a result, any offset to be adjusted that was greater than or equal to 0x006D6B28 (there's quite a few offsets in IIItoVC that are greater than this) would always be returned as 0x00786D44 (very very bad).

So if I hadn't made that mistake the most recent version of IIItoVC could have been used. I never noticed this because I always use the US 1.0 exe, I should probably try to get a hold of other versions for proper testing.

Edit: I also found a bug in Hammer's original code where certain offsets adjusted to be compatible with German executables wouldn't be calculated correctly.

Weirdo.
  • Weirdo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:36 AM

So... is that going to be worked on or are we just going to sit here thinking about, "What could've been... "?

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (Weirdo. @ Jun 1 2010, 05:36)
So... is that going to be worked on or are we just going to sit here thinking about, "What could've been... "?

I suppose my post didn't make it seem as though I'm doing anything about it, but the reason I found the bug is because I am.

I am currently working on the new launcher. It will no longer be gta-lc.exe, instead it is dinput8.dll. The reason for this is so you can launch the game the usual way through gta-vc.exe.

Currently the new launcher is able to run the game without gta-lc.exe and gta-lc.asi. I'm now working on adding IIItoVC to it, along with vcopcode.

Weirdo.
  • Weirdo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

Quite groundbreaking.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

Are you still planning on keeping an ini so the hacks can be modified? I hope so.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Jun 1 2010, 20:48)
Are you still planning on keeping an ini so the hacks can be modified? I hope so.

I most definitely am. I'll also need to look into the "Show Config" for adding options for hacks that I've added. For example, give the ability to add/remove scrolling text like what's at Easy Credit Autos and such; although when adding this ability it might be a good idea to switch to XML as opposed to INI. For users, XML isn't as easy to use as INI (still readable but slightly more complex) but that shouldn't be a problem if the configuration program can modify any of the settings in the XML.

If you think that's a good idea I'll go ahead and do it.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:44 AM

I'll trust your judgment as far as ini or xml.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

icon14.gif I'm voting for XML.

MSTS
  • MSTS

Mustang Fan

• Members

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:22 AM

hey guys..great job on the mod!!!! It is amazing!!!! but I have a bug to report..there are few cars on the streets on this mod...in III there was much more cars going around...can you increase the amount of spawned cars???
thanks for the mod guys!! good luck!! icon14.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

There is a file called vc_traffic.asi (and a config file) that should be able to modify traffic. It was made during my hiatus from the mod and I've never spent any time to look at it. But it's possible that config file can be altered to make it more GTA3 like. Feel free to play around with it.

And if anybody can give us values that closer emulate GTA3's traffic, it can be incorporated into the official version.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (gtafreak95 @ Jun 13 2010, 22:12)
There is a bug i found, the characters look dodgy even when i turned: disableculling   into 0
+1
On a previous version of lc when i edited the ini to disable backface culling it worked fine however on the latest version the faces are unchanged. dontgetit.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (frank.s @ Jun 18 2010, 09:29)
QUOTE (gtafreak95 @ Jun 13 2010, 22:12)
There is a bug i found, the characters look dodgy even when i turned: disableculling   into 0
+1
On a previous version of lc when i edited the ini to disable backface culling it worked fine however on the latest version the faces are unchanged. dontgetit.gif

Some of the peds in the recent conversion have some glitches. This one in particular has inverted normals on certain parts of the model.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

I meant that on lc (and on past lc versions) i see all buildings and characters inverted but not vehicles because rw gta always shows faces on both sides for veh's.
On older versions of lc it's fixable because DisableCulling shows the back of faces on all models however the option doesn't have any effect on the new lc version (on my laptop atleast).

AndreiM
  • AndreiM

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:16 AM

I got the same problem. I got a new laptop with 4.0 shadermodels and I tried to install this mod on my new pc. The characters faces are glitches and the buildings won't load correctly. It works perfectly on my older desktop. Any suggestions to fix this? My GTA vice city works perfectly.

goodfella2
  • goodfella2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

i got the same problem with backface culling. I too have a mainboard intel graphic driver (laptop). But if i replace the IIItoVC.asi with the one from 25-5-2007 disabling culling in gta-lc.ini works. Unfortunately that asi doesnt accept cheats, only to spawn a rhino and chopper. Hopefully they will fix the asi so it works on all or get rid of it in the future.
I also noticed a bug with the mission "a drop in the ocean". After the cutscene there is no timer nor any marker. The plane never shows up, so basically there is no way to complete that mission:(

GameMaster90
  • GameMaster90

Andolini Badfella

• Members

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (AndreiM @ Aug 4 2010, 20:16)
I got the same problem. I got a new laptop with 4.0 shadermodels and I tried to install this mod on my new pc. The characters faces are glitches and the buildings won't load correctly. It works perfectly on my older desktop. Any suggestions to fix this? My GTA vice city works perfectly.

I am having the same problem, possible fix?

integrated Intel graphics laptop card

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:27 PM Edited by Diego "DM" Mendez, 26 December 2010 - 02:31 PM.

QUOTE (GameMaster90 @ Aug 22 2010, 20:26)

QUOTE (GameMaster90 @ Aug 22 2010, 20:26)

I can't handle this problem.

Look at this pic:

user posted image

The mod needs a fix for this problem. Maybe a Win 7 problem? Also, GTAVC is running well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users