BUGS, GLITCHES, and INCOMPLETES

682 replies to this topic
Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Jul 13 2007, 19:44)
1-9 is related to Asuka's model - it needs to be moved on the Z axis I think.
3-8 has been fixed sometimes in the past - Maria's feet are on the ground.
3-35 cannot be fixed as long as the opcode isn't emulated.

Nearly all of the SCM bugs have been fixed - wow!
That means however that I won't be of much help in the bug fixing area in the future - the remaining bugs basically boil down to modelling and EXE issues

Regarding 3-6: Why is the army.txd deemed corrupt? Shouldn't it be the model (DFF)? I guess it doesn't matter, it has to be re-converted anway.

Some thoughts about issues not mentioned on the checklist:
What about the sharks, fishes and other sea dwellers that are happily living in the contaminated water? The ones that aren't used in missions (fish01 is used in Blow Fish and Gone Fishing) should definitely disappear (manipulating the alpha layer of the textures comes to mind).

And does anyone work on recreating the shaking of the crusher while it's crushing a car? If so then that's great, if not it can easily be recreated through SCM - I did it just now because I was cleaning the crusher lid code anyways - and it doesn't even look that bad.

I'll fix those first 3 up (add notes, crossout, etc.) wink.gif .

With regards to the corrupt army.txd - I was under the impression that the TXD was restored to the VC version, which would explain why it was still on the buglist. Can someone just clarify that please, and I'll cross it off if need be? smile.gif

I'll add the issue of the underwater world ( tounge.gif ) to the modelling section if you think that a texture manipulation would be best wink.gif .

As for the crusher - as far as I know there was no-one working on the shaking animation (I think you're the only person working on the SCM atm, now that Kon's gone wow.gif ). So if you can recreate it, that's great icon14.gif .

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:10 AM Edited by SteaVor, 14 July 2007 - 04:37 PM.

Short correction for the second post of the DOWNLOAD topic:
My Chaperone package has 00AC disabled in GF, that means you'll definitely be able to complete the game (even to 100%). smile.gif

The underwater issue doesn't fit anywhere else, the appearance of those models/textures is probably hardcoded, so removing the DFF and TXD files would probably result in a crash.
EDIT: I've found the files, thankfully they weren't named as cryptical as some other objects in GTA games. The TXDs are fish1, fish2, fish3, jellyfish1, jellyfish2 and shark. wow.gif fish01 (used in missions) uses a different TXD (fishmarket), so no conflicts there. Should be a piece of cake to edit the alpha layer.
Are there any other textures that need to be blanked - are there algae in VC?
EDIT: I found lobster - I didn't notice them at all in VC. Should it be removed as well?

And I asked about the crusher since I wasn't sure if MM worked on this already.

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

well now my lc dosent crash right away it crashes when i press start new game and also it shows in the options a purple audio leters and it says at bottom no audio hardware

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:08 PM

The lobster is just used in a mission cutscene with Colonel Cortez...I think it was the mission when u needed to kill someone with a chainsaw. cant remember the name though.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Jul 14 2007, 17:10)
Short correction for the second post of the DOWNLOAD topic:
My Chaperone package has 00AC disabled in GF, that means you'll definitely be able to complete the game (even to 100%). smile.gif

The underwater issue doesn't fit anywhere else, the appearance of those models/textures is probably hardcoded, so removing the DFF and TXD files would probably result in a crash.
EDIT: I've found the files, thankfully they weren't named as cryptical as some other objects in GTA games. The TXDs are fish1, fish2, fish3, jellyfish1, jellyfish2 and shark. wow.gif fish01 (used in missions) uses a different TXD (fishmarket), so no conflicts there. Should be a piece of cake to edit the alpha layer.
Are there any other textures that need to be blanked - are there algae in VC?
EDIT: I found lobster - I didn't notice them at all in VC. Should it be removed as well?

And I asked about the crusher since I wasn't sure if MM worked on this already.

Rightio, I'll fix up the Download topic now. Thanks.

I can't think of any other textures that may need to be blanked off the top of my head. I think it's probably just easier to blank out the individual textures rather than messing with the EXE to remove them. I'll cross that off the checklist now (seeing as you released an update in the General LC Chat topic - I'll link that in the Download topic too wink.gif ).

As for the crusher - now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember MM mentioning it. But as far as I was aware, he hadn't released any crusher updates - and I haven't seen him online for a while now, so I don't know if he's around to answer definitively.

QUOTE (jp245 @ Jul 15 2007, 04:36)
well now my lc dosent crash right away it crashes when i press start new game and also it shows in the options a purple audio leters and it says at bottom no audio hardware

That's the problem glenster is having. I'm not sure why LC isn't recognising the Audio hardware - I've asked MM to take a look at it because I think it's most likely an EXE issue, but I don't know if he's going to be able to fix it. Are you using Vista?

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:10 AM

no not using vista using xp

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:03 AM

Install the latest drivers for your sound card, then delete gta_vc.set (in My Documents\GTA LC User Files). That could fix the audio hardware recognition issue.

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

(quitter sneaks in)

The "no audio hardware" error is misleading - it actually has nothing to do with audio hardware smile.gif It comes from missing audio files. I saw it myself. Make sure they are installed properly (the procedure is somewhat touchy) and it should take care of things.

And the lobster is indeed only used as a #CUTOBJ in the VC mission "Treacherous swine". It's leftover junk - feel free to remove that crustacean.

(quitter sneaks out)

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Jul 15 2007, 10:44)
The "no audio hardware" error is misleading - it actually has nothing to do with audio hardware smile.gif

I just mentioned the steps that had helped me fix this particular problem when I experienced it on standard VC years ago.

And thanks for the confirmation about the lobster - it wasn't referenced in LC's IDE files, so there were just two possibilities remaining - either a leftover VC file or hardcoded. Thanks for clearing this up.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Jul 15 2007, 18:44)
(quitter sneaks in)

The "no audio hardware" error is misleading - it actually has nothing to do with audio hardware smile.gif It comes from missing audio files. I saw it myself. Make sure they are installed properly (the procedure is somewhat touchy) and it should take care of things.

And the lobster is indeed only used as a #CUTOBJ in the VC mission "Treacherous swine". It's leftover junk - feel free to remove that crustacean.

(quitter sneaks out)

Thanks muchly. I suggested to glenster what SteaVor suggested here, but it didn't work for him. At least you've found a solution smile.gif . I'll add that to the Readme and HELP topic as a common problem.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

The crusher shaking is basically finished now - there's only one error:
It's moving smoother than in III! biggrin.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:19 AM

lol.gif

Well, that's not good enough! Make it authentic. tounge.gif

Nah, just kidding - sounds great icon14.gif . I'm about to email you the updated readme now (with Kon's no audio hardware solution included).

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:51 AM Edited by SteaVor, 15 July 2007 - 11:39 AM.

QUOTE (Ben @ Jul 15 2007, 12:19)
Well, that's not good enough!  Make it authentic. tounge.gif

It was pretty authentic not 2 hours ago, when I decided that alternating between two states (original position and to the left of the original position) didn't suffice (even though the animation looked alright in its choppiness).
Now there's five states - the crusher body moves half-left, left, half-left, original position, half-right, right, half-right, original position at the moment, with 5 ms between every transition. Looks great.

And I got the mail.

EDIT: Bah, just noticed that the dolphins are still around in LC's ocean.

EDIT2: FIXED, updated the animalkillingspree package - deleted lobster.TXD since it'll be gone in the next package anyway. Same Link.

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Jul 15 2007, 08:44)
(quitter sneaks in)

(quitter sneaks out)

that didint heplp me at all sorry but its true

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:59 PM Edited by SteaVor, 15 July 2007 - 07:46 PM.

Did you follow the instructions in the HELP topic - did you double-check that all the audio files are inside the AUDIO folder of your LC installation?

BTW: Seems as if my prediction about the GML/LG CS bug being the last remaining one in the SCM coding segment might come true.
Let's take a closer look at the remaining SCM bugs:

- 14b, 17b, 18b don't have anything to do with the SCM - the solution for 3b is currently being implemented by MM

14b: hardcoded behavior or wrong model for the traffic lights?
17b: Engine limitation, cannot be fixed I think. You can remove this here since there's no way it could be fixed through SCM. It's already in the appropriate General Issues section anyway.
18b: That's interesting: Which files are separating the districts of LC in a way that the game recognizes a difference between them? We're treating all 3 islands as 1 huge area in the ZON files (thus no loading screens) and gta_vc.dat, so that's not it. A stripped SCM doesn't change the behavior either. Anybody there who knows which file tells the EXE what is what?

- the SCM isn't the culprit in the case of 13, 20, 35 either - their status depends on non-SCM issues that need to be fixed before they can be crossed off.

- I didn't experience 7 or 8b, could be crossed off for now.

- 23 is debug-mode only, and it might have been fixed completely (at least it seemed so when I tried it out recently)

The remaining bugs:
6 - Claude pauses slightly in mission Luigi's girls - no idea how to fix this - I'm running out of opcodes here!
11 - Sayonara Salvatore, really tough nut to crack
3-31 - GF suicide, exists in GTA3 as well, I might have a cheap solution for this

3-1 can be summarized as 'redundant mission bugs + animation/SFX issues'.
What about 'replace dodo with full wing' (A Drop In The Ocean)?

And that's it. I guess that stuff will keep you busy for a while, Ben. tounge2.gif

And two questions:
Are all the VC weapon icons supposed to be yellow or should we use red to make it possible to distinguish between standard and bonus weapons?

Would it be safe to replace all the objects in the game (minus weapons, peds, vehicles) with their original GTA3 counterparts as soon as MM has released a stable ASI that supports the ability to switch culling on/off (sorry, don't know if the version distributed in test3 supports this already)? This would probably fix the 'transparent windows' issues. We need to do it anyway because the models that had to be edited don't look perfect with culling disabled.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Jul 16 2007, 04:59)
Did you follow the instructions in the HELP topic - did you double-check that all the audio files are inside the AUDIO folder of your LC installation?

BTW: Seems as if my prediction about the GML/LG CS bug being the last remaining one in the SCM coding segment might come true.

- 14b, 17b, 18b don't have anything to do with the SCM - the solution for 3b is currently being implemented by MM

17b: Engine limitation, cannot be fixed I think. You can remove this here since there's no way it could be fixed through SCM. It's already in the appropriate General Issues section anyway.
18b: That's interesting: Which files are separating the districts of LC in a way that the game recognizes a difference between them? We're treating all 3 islands as 1 huge area in the ZON files (thus no loading screens) and gta_vc.dat, so that's not it. A stripped SCM doesn't change the behavior either. Anybody there who knows which file tells the EXE what is what?

- the SCM isn't the culprit in the case of 13, 20, 35 either - their status depends on non-SCM issues that need to be fixed before they can be crossed off.

- 23 is debug-mode only, and it might have been fixed completely (at least it seemed so when I tried it out recently)

The remaining bugs:
6 - Claude pauses slightly in mission Luigi's girls - no idea how to fix this - I'm running out of opcodes here!
3-31 - GF suicide, exists in GTA3 as well, I might have a cheap solution for this

And that's it. I guess that stuff will keep you busy for a while, Ben. tounge2.gif

And two questions:
Are all the VC weapon icons supposed to be yellow or should we use red to make it possible to distinguish between standard and bonus weapons?

Would it be safe to replace all the objects in the game (minus weapons, peds, vehicles) with their original GTA3 counterparts as soon as MM has released a stable ASI that supports the ability to switch culling on/off (sorry, don't know if the version distributed in test3 supports this already)? This would probably fix the 'transparent windows' issues. We need to do it anyway because the models that had to be edited don't look perfect with culling disabled.

Ok, I've fixed all those up. I've also bolded the remaining bugs so that they're easy to see wink.gif .

One question - is 20 an opcode emulation issue like 13 and 35? That's what I've listed it as for now, so let me know if I need to change it.

Is there anything on the table linked in 3-1 that can be marked as done?

As for the full-wing dodo - I don't know. I think that the full wing dodo was meant to be put in ADITO, but hadn't actually been put in. As to whether or not it's in now, I don't know confused.gif .

With regards to the weapons icons, I made a decision that all VC icons should be made yellow because I felt that they fitted in better. space had converted most of them I think, but I don't know if he did them all.

I'm pretty sure that MM's latest ASI supports culling enabled/disabled, so theoretically you could replace all "environment" objects with the original GTA3 files. However, it's not that simple - GTA3 buildings had issues such as missing roofs, which means that the problematic files can't be copied over. And sorting through them all would be a pretty big task, which is why I think nothing has ever been done about it. I suggest you ask MM and wait to see what he says before doing it.

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Jul 15 2007, 18:59)

The remaining bugs:

And two questions:

i tried everything only my old version works now somehow i got the old one to work but not the new one...

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:08 AM Edited by SteaVor, 16 July 2007 - 05:07 PM.

3-20 can be easily fixed - we just need to adjust numbers denoting the particle type. The right ones can be taken from particle.cfg. See below...

3-1:
Craig should know more about this than me, I didn't edit any of those missions, although I'm confident that mission 39 and 41 are currently bug-free. I haven't played Plaster Blaster for ages, this mission really sucks IMO ('It was a decoy!' die.gif ).

There are some #DEADDODO references in the code as well, probably leftovers.

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (SteaVor)

QUOTE (SteaVor)
There are some #DEADDODO references in the code as well, probably leftovers.

DEADDODO is the full wing "dummy" version with no collision that is used in ADITO, S.A.M. and also flies around the city with the "Zombie Elvis Found" sign. Also in Vice City.

DODO is the flyable version with clipped wings. GTA3 only.

I can't remember how it's done now in LC and I don't have the scm at hand, but these missions should definitely be using DEADDODO.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:58 AM Edited by SteaVor, 16 July 2007 - 10:08 AM.

The DEADDODO model isn't used at all in the current SCM, it's just being requested and unloaded without being used to create a vehicle of this type (oh, and it's used in garage_accept_car opcodes for the IE garages - both of them).

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:23 PM Edited by Konstantinos, 16 July 2007 - 05:40 PM.

I found that lc scm after all (don't have lc installed though).

The way GTA3 handles the mission Dodos is by the 0358: create_drop_off_cessna (ADITO) and 033A: create_incoming_cessna (SAM) opcodes, that only require the model (DEADDODO) to be loaded, I think. But these aren't emulated in LC, so it uses the complicated CESNA_D and CESNA_I threads as substitutes. These use the DODO model right now, I think it's just an oversight that this wasn't changed to DEADDODO yet.
So yeah, (un)loading the DEADDODO for these missions in their current state is redundant.
Of course the ideal solution would be to get the cessna opcodes working... hello MM? smile.gif

Why DEADDODO should be in the garage opcodes is beyond me. It doesn't make sense, it's of course DODO you are supposed to deliver dontgetit.gif

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:57 PM Edited by SteaVor, 16 July 2007 - 08:02 PM.

And the garage opcode doesn't even work with model IDs (emulating the Securicar garage would have been SO much easier if it did), so it's completely unnecessary there (it isn't used there in GTA3 either, unlike the other instances that DEADDODO is currently correctly being used in).

Meanwhile I've fixed most of the particle bugs (this might include 3-20 if I can get it to work with one of the supported particle opcodes) after I've spent many hours* to research the differences between GTA3 and VC in regards to the particle IDs and created a basic number conversion table. It might very well be possible to recreate all of the particles correctly (dry ice in Chaperone etc).
Might only leave the chainsaw issue because the slot that the corresponding particle is taken from is obviously hardcoded. I can't check the blood issue here at the moment since my game is still censored even though it shouldn't... that means no blood and no chainsaw fun for me at the moment.

* I could have achieved this much faster if I hadn't played with the great visual effects that can be achieved with manipulating the parameters of the particle opcodes.
VC only has a greater number of particles to choose from than III, but the basic structure is the same. If you wanted to recreate GTA3 particle 10 in VC you would write 13, if you wanted to use 15, you'd write 18. Some more examples:

III value -> VC value
5 -> 7
10 -> 13
15 -> 18
18 -> 24
19 -> 25
65 -> 76

BUT: The entries in particle.cfg differ between III and LC, so they have to be converted to deliver the "true" GTA3 experience.
I've saved this table locally since it is necessary if need to revert them (when MM changes the internal table to fix the chainsaw issue).

@Konstantinos: The DEADDODO model has still the same wings as the DODO, I think (according to Zmodeler). And since the hardcoded opcodes for the cessna and the other plane have been substituted by working scripts it isn't necessary to load DEADDODO the way it is in III.

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:44 PM Edited by Konstantinos, 16 July 2007 - 04:51 PM.

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Jul 16 2007, 16:57)
And since the hardcoded opcodes for the cessna and the other plane have been substituted by working scripts it isn't necessary to load DEADDODO the way it is in III.

QUOTE (Me)
So yeah, (un)loading the DEADDODO for these missions in their current state is redundant.

That's what I said, innit? tounge.gif

QUOTE (SteaVor)
The DEADDODO model has still the same wings as the DODO, I think (according to Zmodeler).

Nope. Not according to DFF viewer, anyway:
user posted image
Also notice that the DEADDODO model includes wheels, while DODO is given them by default.ide. It's part of the fact that DEADDODO is type "plane", like AIRTRAIN - a type only used for non-flyable scenery planes. Flyabe planes are either "car" (DODO) or "boat" (SKIMMER). But I'm probably stating the obvious here.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:53 PM Edited by SteaVor, 16 July 2007 - 04:56 PM.

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Jul 16 2007, 18:44)
That's what I said, innit? tounge.gif
Yes, I merely wanted to substantiate it.

Nope. Not according to DFF viewer, anyway

Interesting. Zmodeler showed the differing propeller, but the wings overlapped perfectly in top view. You're of course right, don't know why it (apparently) showed the DEADDODO parts on the DODO.

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:44 PM

I just realized that you can't use DEADDODO in 00A5: create_car. That's why it wasn't done yet - it's much more complicated, it would require making another regular vehicle like the flyable Dodo, but with full wings. Sorry.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:48 PM Edited by SteaVor, 16 July 2007 - 06:11 PM.

I would implement it by making the DEADDODO a regular object that is controlled by a wanderer, but I know it isn't that easy (no pilot, unpredictable behavior if it's interrupted in any way...).

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:11 PM Edited by jp245, 16 July 2007 - 06:15 PM.

ok now i got a new error i installed this mod over my unmodded vice well i had one mod the vcs hud but that changes none of the files and i tried removing the files that make vcs hud work ingame and now when i try running lc it says unhandled expression then i readd them and it works... and also i get no guns when i type the cheat gunsgunsguns

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

That's because the GTA3 cheats aren't implemented in the ASI that is supplied with the package. It'll be included in the next stable version of IIItoVC.asi I suppose.

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

ok with the cheats but the hud problem is till have

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

Did you remove the DLL/ASI that controls the VCS hud? It won't be compatible with LC as it uitilizes its own HUD drawing procedures. It might be compatible if MM gets around to realize his 'module' idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users