Photo

BUGS, GLITCHES, and INCOMPLETES

680 replies to this topic
LCSurvivor
  • LCSurvivor

X

• Members

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

Ok, thanks for the confirmation smile.gif Then it's working totally fine, glad you found a solution!

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:22 PM Edited by SteaVor, 22 June 2007 - 01:06 PM.

Thanks, I hope to get more of those brainstorms in the future to tackle the more complex issues that are still on the checklist (Sayonara Salvatore, anyone?).
The odds are in my favour it seems, since I'm leaving in about 24 hours to experience 2 weeks without Internet and plenty of time to think about new approaches. rah.gif

Dylan2112
  • Dylan2112

I'm quite aware; my screen name SUCKS...

• Members

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

the police maverick and the chopper that chaces you should be blue, not black. in gta3 the chopper that chaces you is blue.
--------------------------------------------------------------
when you hit cars with a tank, you get a wanted level. in gta3, you dont

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:27 AM

Thanks everyone - I've added all of those bugs (even the blood particles one, just in case).

@SteaVor - Hope you have a good break. Be sure to write any ideas you have down so that you can share them upon your return wink.gif. I should have the latest set of files out by then.

And yes, if you can solve Sayonara Salvatore, I'm willing to quadruple your pay ph34r.gif.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:39 AM Edited by SteaVor, 23 June 2007 - 09:26 AM.

Be sure to test if the SSV garage door bug (3-1b) is definitely fixed now - I'm 99% sure that it is.

When I'm back I shall begin with fixing the LOD bugs, they annoyed the hell out of me once again when I visited SSV yesterday to test some combinations of towergaragedoorX activations.

I've tested my AudioCleanup package on a clean install now, I've installed the 2 packages in the first post of the Download topic on a full install of VC and used the Audio Cleanup package, deleiberately following your instructions to check if the process is understandable. Everything works fine. smile.gif One thing should be noted however; the BAT file ran and closed as if it ran successfully, but the files were read-only and couldn't be modified/deleted by the batch file. I had to clear the attribute manually to make it work.
The Installer needs to clear the read-only attribute on all files inside the LC folder. This will solve all problems with Nullpointer's audio tool as well.
Note: Files that are copied over from CD are automatically read-only. The installer shouldn't clear the attributes before the III CD audio files aren't copied to the hard drive entirely (if the user chose to do so).

Regarding the Traffic CFG:
I spent all my free time on SCM issues last week and haven't made progress there at all. I will however release the CFG that I was using all week, because I think it's quite good already, at least in respect of the vehicle density.
The main problem is that the density of vehicles/peds will become more sparse the more you increase the spawn range of said entities. Reason being that you're changing your position in the game world all the time because of the dynamic gameplay, but as soon as you're leaving one place the game will begin to spawn the new peds and vehicles a great distance away(because it's one 'aim' of VC:Traffic to end the spawning right before your eyes and despawning as soon as you're looking away for a few seconds).
By the time they would've reached your position you're already at the other end of the game world.
The problem is most noticable when you've crashed your car and have to wait for ages to be able to jack another car because it has spawned so far away.
The main changes I made are therefore smaller ranges for vehicles and peds. There's still a huge amount of tweaking possible and necessary, especially if AK-73 comes around to realise different spawn ranges while on foot/in vehicles.

Get the CFG here.

I hope Konstantinos is around again when I'm back. And I hope someone has fixed the GML/LG CS bug by then - I' afraid that it'll be the longest standing bug before the checklist can be closed for good.. suicidal.gif

EDIT: Just noticed that 5-22 exists in GTA3 as well - wow, I never thought they left such a big hole in the game world.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:53 PM

Thanks, I've crossed those couple off icon14.gif.

I've also just finished putting an update package together. I haven't tested it yet, but it should work (it's just got all of the latest files in it). I'll leave it on to upload while I go get some sleep now (it's almost 2am here) and I'll be able to send MegaVovaN and Samutz a rapidshare link for it in the morning - hopefully it'll be online for everyone either tomorrow afternoon or Monday morning (my time). If I've missed any updates, can someone please let me know. Thanks.

Also, I've updated the readme to reflect a few changes that have occurred in the setup of LC. Please read it to ensure that you install LC correctly (I'll put some more specific information in the download topic when I put the link up). I've also updated the contributions list with space's old/new accounts (as per his request - sorry it took so long mate blush.gif) and added coding to SteaVor's contributions (sorry as well blush.gif). Again, if there's something here (actually, anywhere with this update), please let me know.

smile.gif

sleepy.gif

Delerious
  • Delerious

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:49 PM

I've got the bug where it crashes when you press 'Start New Game'. Whenever it corks out, however, a debug notice comes up:

Exception at address: 0x00755054
EXE Version: gta-vc.exe 1.0 Australian

Registers -----------------------------------------------------
EAX: 0x05224740 EBX: 0x00755054 ECX: 0x052248E8 EDX: 0x000001A4
ESI: 0x0A000000 EDI: 0x3F800000 EBP: 0x00000C30 ESP: 0x0012F67C
EFLAGS: 10000001000000010

I really hope contribution will help to squash the bug, as I need a good, working copy of GTA: Liberty City for my new 'The Original Stories - Liberty City' mod.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Jun 23 2007, 08:39)

The main changes I made are therefore smaller ranges for vehicles and peds. There's still a huge amount of tweaking possible and necessary, especially if AK-73 comes around to realise different spawn ranges while on foot/in vehicles.

After I finsih the next version of GTA:FPS, which is going to take some more time. But the VC:Traffic update is quite high on my agenda. smile.gif

It might take more than the aforementioned spawn ranges. We'll see.

Alex

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:42 PM

the new version dont work for me it crashes right after the gtatitles and logo

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:40 PM Edited by Ben, 25 June 2007 - 10:47 PM.

These crashes in the new version could be the result of MM's experimental ASI. I'm a tad busy right now, but I'll have a look around later today to see if I can find where he posted a more stable version. Aside from that, I'm not sure what the problem could be.

EDIT - Try this IIItoVC.asi file and see how you go.

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:18 PM

nop still didint work now not even my old version of it will work suicidal.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:22 AM Edited by Ben, 26 June 2007 - 03:14 AM.

Well there's gotta be something wrong with your setup then, because I just installed the latest version and it works fine for me.

I do have some problems, but they're from my end - the sound is completely f*cked up. I didn't install the SFX, but that shouldn't make any difference - the game is playing the SFX audio all wrong (weird pitch, etc.). I've tried all available hardware setups through the game menu, but they're all the same so I'm a bit stumped as to how I'm going to fix it confused.gif. GTA3 plays the SFX just fine, but I haven't tried VC just yet (although I'm willing to bet it'd be messed up too).

@MM - your ASI works fine for me with the 1.0 no-cd. One problem I came across is that the GETTOTHECHOPPER cheat spawns a Landstalker instead of a Hunter (I tried the old version, and it works fine - it spawns a Hunter). Aside from that, it seems pretty good for an experimental version (although I only tried it for around 15 minutes tounge.gif).

@AK-73 - can you please check the vc_traffic.cfg in the latest version? It looks fine to me, but not all drivers flee when their cars are attacked.

Also, would it be responsible for PEDs being in the middle of the road in some places? I can grab specific coordinates, but I would've thought this was more of a paths issue as opposed to something related to your Traffic module.

EDIT - Maybe if I used the VC sfx.sdt instead of the GTA3 sfx.sdt, it might work blush.gif.

EDIT 2 - Yeah, funnily enough, that fixed my sound problems tounge.gif.

I did come across another strange bug though, and I think it might be related to MM's ASI, although it could've been around for a long time and not have been noticed. I'm not sure if it happens everytime you change the resolution, but the first time I loaded it up, I changed it from the horrible 640x480 to 1024x768, and then when I click Start New Game, I get the following crash:
CODE
Exception at address: 0x0064E14E

EXE Version:          gta-vc.exe 1.0 US

Registers -----------------------------------------------------

EAX: 0x548B575E EBX: 0x548B574E ECX: 0x00000453 EDX: 0x548B575E

ESI: 0x006980F0 EDI: 0x548B5756 EBP: 0x001DCF2C ESP: 0x0012FE00

EFLAGS: 10000001000000010

However, upon reloading LC and starting a new game, everything runs fine. So I'm not quite sure what the issue is, but it's something to look into anyway.

Actually, I'm not sure why that's showing 1.0 US - I was using a 1.0 no-cd confused.gif. Meh.

AMBULANCE2
  • AMBULANCE2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:43 PM Edited by AMBULANCE2, 26 June 2007 - 05:50 PM.

Hello people!=) im new here. so in thet Beta2 v7test2 i cant pass one mission chaprone or how it calls so there is some pic. its olways gives me an error how can if fix thet??
Posted Image

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:46 PM

You can read the other post in the Download topic which explains the main issues with v7test2.

AMBULANCE2
  • AMBULANCE2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:14 AM

where ben?

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 25 2007, 23:40)
These crashes in the new version could be the result of MM's experimental ASI.

Any experimental versions shouldn't be used in a release. These are only for testing (e.g. SteaVor occasionally tests new opcodes, etc.). And since I don't keep older versions of IIItoVC you should go back to using the version in the old package.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (AMBULANCE2 @ Jun 27 2007, 20:14)
where ben?

In the pinned DOWNLOAD topic. What part don't you understand? confused.gif

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Jun 28 2006, 06:58)
QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 25 2007, 23:40)
These crashes in the new version could be the result of MM's experimental ASI.

Any experimental versions shouldn't be used in a release. These are only for testing (e.g. SteaVor occasionally tests new opcodes, etc.). And since I don't keep older versions of IIItoVC you should go back to using the version in the old package.

I already put a note in the download topic with a link to the last stable version of the ASI that you released - I already tried it out on my setup just to be sure. I've saved a copy of it on my PC in case you update it too.

I'll stick a stable (not experimental) version in the next package anyway wink.gif.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:44 PM

In GTA3 not all drivers flee when attacked either. Some just continue to drive as if nothing ever happened.

Alex

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:21 AM

Rightio. I thought that all did flee, but I haven't played GTA3 for AGES, so I'll take your word for it wink.gif.

Thanks smile.gif.

Dylan2112
  • Dylan2112

I'm quite aware; my screen name SUCKS...

• Members

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:55 AM

ben, 3-17 on the second list is the same thing as 14-3 wink.gif

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:47 PM

It's supposed to be like this, even though most of the so-called "general" issues can only be solved by EXE hacking, I suppose. Any news from MM? I don't think he posted anything in the past two weeks (besides his "Don't publish experimental ASIs" post).

Ben, Nullpointer's Tool isn't included in the LC-SFX package, is it? Or am I missing something obvious?

Installation of the latest files went fine, the instructions are good. I'll get some sleep now and will (hopefully) be able to take care of that very weird DMFM issue (camera pointing to nowhere -> model not loading? camera pointing at the wrong place, even though the code shouldn't have been changed for years? ASI influencing?)

Oh, did I mention that I'm back? cool.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:38 PM

Heh, I figured that you were back wink.gif.

MM hasn't been online since June 30 according to his profile, so I'm not sure what's going on. Uni most likely got the better of him wink.gif.

I believe you are missing something obvious with regards to Nullpointer's Tool - there's a folder inside the Extract Me! RAR archive that's (imaginatively tounge.gif) called Nullpointer's GTA3-VC Sound Tools wink.gif.

Did I mention it was good to see you back? smile.gif

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:44 PM Edited by SteaVor, 11 July 2007 - 07:37 PM.

I'm now in the process of fixing the LOD issues and found out why the Amco_ground disappears in the latest version in the process:
Ben, you've added the updated IDE/IPL files (dated from January/February) to the wrong folder (data\maps\), they should have replaced the files inside the identically named subdirectory.
The latest comSE.ide for example (the file relevant for the AMCo building issue) should be in data\maps\comSE, but it's in data\maps at the moment. The latest version of GTA:LC uses map files from 2006 and even 2005.
The solution is obvious, go to the \maps folder to drag&drop the files to the folder of the same name (if there isn't one, just leave the files untouched).

I'm now going to solve the LOD bugs.
"Fix"ed* them, I should have them packaged and uploaded within the next minutes. The package doesn't contain the fixes I talked about at the beginning of this post, you'll have to do those replacements for yourself.

*I didn't, I just manipulated the Z value to make them disappear. That's how it had been handled till v6 and I think it's the only solution until we find out why VC doesn't recognize most LODs. Maybe an internal limit of the engine (maybe there are ID range restrictions for LODs), but testing this would require quite some effort, and then you would have to change thousands of lines in dozens of IDE and IPL files to make them appear in the right height. confused.gif

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:23 PM Edited by SteaVor, 04 November 2007 - 03:38 PM.

OK, the files can be found here.

Instructions for the brave-hearted (and Ben tounge.gif ):
1. Make sure you have copy&paste'd the latest map files to their correct subdirs as described in my previous post. It's important to stick to this order since the files in my package are based on them. If you're doing it the other way around you'll obviously overwrite the latest files with older copies.

2. Copy landNE.ipl to <LC dir>\data\maps\landNE and landSW.ipl to <LC dir>\data\maps\landSW

That should fix all of the LOD issues (I've only noticed them in SSV, hence only the landXX files had to be modified).

The Callahan Bridge LODs should be fixed manually:
The Callahan Bridge LODs' placement lines can be found in \data\maps\industNW\industNW.ipl , which is wrong because the CB is situated in SW Portland. suicidal.gif
I'm talking about
CODE
811, LODbridgeroad, 507.469, -933.827, 36.5095, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1
818, LODbridgeroadb, 626, -933.827, 23.9863, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1

They can be found right at the beginning of the file. You should delete them and instead place them somewhere in industSW\industSW.ipl, right below the 'inst' line for example.
If you want to make the LOD overlaps disappear, simply decrease the Z value of the objects (36.5095 and 23.9863 respectively). Values below 0.0 and 10.0 are necessary to make them disappear completely.
The beginning of my industSW.ipl now looks like this:
CODE
inst
811, LODbridgeroad, 507.469, -933.827, 0.0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1
818, LODbridgeroadb, 626, -933.827, 10.0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1
730, iten_chinatown37, 0, 667.96, -680.933, 26.833, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1
731, Chinabuilds05, 0, 623.289, -655.497, 40.02, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1

EDIT: Oh, nearly forgot:
This fixes modelling issues 2 (AMCo), 14, 15 and 26 (which is actually identical to 15 catspider.gif ) and all the other LOD bugs that have never been reported.

I might look into more of the modelling issues soon. There are also a couple of see-through windows that I never bothered to mention on Staunton Island I think.
5-20 gets top priority so you won't have to think about a proper description of it, Ben. rah.gif

6-4 might be very easy to fix, it's most likely just a misplaced collsion file (Z value too high), so it's not necessary to change the actual collision model.

6-7 is open for discussion, I think: Currently you'll be respawned at the nearest ped path coordinate when you're falling down there; if proper collision is added, you won't have a chance to get out of there if you're just falling down or your heli gets destroyed. You would need to restart or kill yourself. Bad options in my opinion.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:51 PM

Thanks, I've fixed all of that up and have put together another big update package (with a couple of other things I forgot in the last package). It should be online sometime tomorrow for people.

I've also crossed off those modelling issues on the checklist.

Regarding 6-7, I'll leave it up to you to decide what you think is best (as I'm not familiar with that bug, and I'm not sure when I'll get around to checking it out).

smile.gif

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:34 PM Edited by SteaVor, 12 July 2007 - 06:40 PM.

I think we should leave 6-7 as it is because we shouldn't willfully create a trap inside the game world if we can avoid it. Other alternatives (COL at the same height as the adjacent buildings etc...) are too manipulating in my opinion.

Meanwhile I've fixed one of the most obvious of the really long-standing bugs in LC (3-43). Now that it's fixed I'm wondering why it had never been reported before - a screen without any objects and with blueish background that is shown for several seconds isn't something you can ignore or miss, especially because this part of the cutscene cannot be skipped. The reason that no one noticed it yet is that everything works fine unless you're using a big vehicle to transport Misty to Joey in DMFM.
If you're using a firetruck, Linerunner etc. the camera is placed at another point to avoid the vehicle blocking the view at several instances in the code. In this case the X value was set to 5800, which is WAY over the city boundaries.
Additionally I've added the Packer to the big vehicles check (it was missing since there isn't one in III).

Get the latest version of the script here.

(This has 00AC re-activated in Gone Fishing - I forgot to re-enable it in my pre-holidays release since I'd used that version of the script for the Chaperone package and didn't want to do a Gone Fishing package that would normally be necessary as long as 00AC crashes the game)

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:52 AM

Oki doke - I'll add that note to 6-7.

I'll also cross off 3-43. Please note that the package I put together yesterday does NOT have the script linked in your post in it - I'll add that link to the download topic when I update it, though wink.gif.

Speaking of that package, I had some problems uploading it, but I've sorted that out, and I've sent copies off to MegaVovaN and Samutz for hosting, so it should definitely be online tomorrow.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:44 AM Edited by SteaVor, 13 July 2007 - 04:49 PM.

1-9 is related to Asuka's model - it needs to be moved on the Z axis I think.
3-8 has been fixed sometimes in the past - Maria's feet are on the ground.
3-35 cannot be fixed as long as the opcode isn't emulated.

Nearly all of the SCM bugs have been fixed - wow!
That means however that I won't be of much help in the bug fixing area in the future - the remaining bugs basically boil down to modelling and EXE issues

Regarding 3-6: Why is the army.txd deemed corrupt? Shouldn't it be the model (DFF)? I guess it doesn't matter, it has to be re-converted anway.

Some thoughts about issues not mentioned on the checklist:
What about the sharks, fishes and other sea dwellers that are happily living in the contaminated water? The ones that aren't used in missions (fish01 is used in Blow Fish and Gone Fishing) should definitely disappear (manipulating the alpha layer of the textures comes to mind).

And does anyone work on recreating the shaking of the crusher while it's crushing a car? If so then that's great, if not it can easily be recreated through SCM - I did it just now because I was cleaning the crusher lid code anyways - and it doesn't even look that bad.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Jul 13 2007, 04:44)
Regarding 3-6: Why is the army.txd deemed corrupt? Shouldn't it be the model (DFF)? I guess it doesn't matter, it has to be re-converted anway.

I reported that about a year or two ago. For a while, no tanks or Barracks were showing up. I found out that the texture file of the army ped was not being loaded. I replaced it with an older version of the army.txd file and everything worked fine.

I thought that issue was solved way back then though. I didn't think it would still be on the bug list anywhere.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:56 PM Edited by SteaVor, 13 July 2007 - 08:06 PM.

Yes, I remember all that (thank god there was an old version available).
I just wasn't aware that it really was/is a problem with the TXD as this would be very easy to fix - the army.txd contains only one texture after all.

test3 looks good - stable ASI and all map files at the right locations. The mod should work on most PCs, at least till Chaperone and GF.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users