Universal Wrestling Topic

14,382 replies to this topic
Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

It's not the idiot who formed team bricky, it's just some other dude using the name.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Basketballs don't hold grudges.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (billy james @ Saturday, Jul 6 2013, 22:20)
QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 13:13)
John Cena is the biggest ratings killer they've had in 15 years. About time he takes some blame. His title reign was not only a boring piece of sh*t, he also killed the ratings fast. The guy was such a flop with the mega push they gave him. I don't understand why he continues to get all these special matches against the part-timers even though he hasn't earned any of it. Now his heart is not even in it since he's done everything possible. His sloppy performances since coming back only show that.

Really pumped up for Money in the Bank to see R-V-D make his return. He should get a big reaction in Philly.

Fixed

Hahaha.

@Flesh. Punk didn't kill ratings mate. Cena was still the focal point of almost every Raw with him main eventing or/and cutting a promo to end the show (Or before his main event match.) even though Punk was champ, the focus was on Cena. Not sure if Punk took a sh*t in your cheerios or something but he's not why the ratings went down hill. It's the predictable ass booking and same old sh*t.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (billy james @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 04:54)
It don't say anything about a 434 days title Reign, it's only says title reign

But the title reign was referred to in past tense. Cena is the current champion and the last reign he had that lasted a long time was 6 years ago.

@Shenmue: I'm talking about after Raw 1000. Ratings decreased so fast and Punk had all the spotlight. Every show from September onwards got below 3s. I mean 3 hours didn't help matters but when somebody is so terrible with ratings and still gets to be champion for over a year, something should be done about it. If they are finding some way to blame him for bad ratings, about time because he deserved to get bashed last year. And I wouldn't even be bothered about low ratings if he was entertaining but Punk has never entertained me. He's all hype and a loudmouth prick with the physique of a 15 year old. His promos are also the current day equivalent of Triple H's boring speeches a decade ago.

I know the booking is terrible but no other champion has had their reign received by so bad ratings. Even in the past few years.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

He was a key focus, because he was feuding with John Cena and then because Cena was hurt, as soon as Cena was back, what was the key focus? Ziggler vs Cena.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (Shenmue18 @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 00:26)
He was a key focus, because he was feuding with John Cena and then because Cena was hurt, as soon as Cena was back, what was the key focus? Ziggler vs Cena.

And that's because Punk was hurt! smile.gif

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

Even before that, the Cena/AJ Lee scandal thing was given more air time then CM Punk before he got injured.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (Shenmue18 @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 01:28)
Even before that, the Cena/AJ Lee scandal thing was given more air time then CM Punk before he got injured.

I'm not too sure since I tuned out completely at the time and only read results. But the point was, when Punk got to be the centerpiece of the show, ratings tanked harder than ever.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:28 AM

He was feuding with Ryback, who at the time was having major difficulty getting over. Usually the face is the one who should draw the fans (Stone Cold, Rock, Hogan, Sting in WCW, Bret Hart, HBK, Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle, Bruno Sammartino.) the only person to be the one who was meant to be the drawing point is Gorgeous George back in the 40's, face Punk was and is a big draw, that's why ratings boosted up on the Raw after Payback.

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

That awkward moment when TNA is having batter matches than WWE, seriously that X Division title match was a sh*t load better that any match WWE has made recently, just sad, WWE should just fire there writers and make us there writers, although I'd think if that happen I don't think we'd see much of John Cena

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Nah, I'd use Cena, I would just change up his character to a heel, have him lose clean more often and have him break away from the 5 moves of doom and tell him to incorporate and practice some more moves.

Yeah, In my opinion that Austin Aries vs Chris Sabin match was better then the Randy Orton - Daniel Bryan match last week. Honestly I was more entertained by that match then Punk vs Cena because with Punk and Cena I knew that, as much as I didn't want to see him beat Punk and go on to beat The Rock, it was going to happen, Austin Aries and Sabin (Unless you read spoilers of course.) was very unpredictable. Something that you can't say about the main event of Raw last week, we all knew Cena was beating ADR.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Shenmue18 @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 04:28)
He was feuding with Ryback, who at the time was having major difficulty getting over. Usually the face is the one who should draw the fans (Stone Cold, Rock, Hogan, Sting in WCW, Bret Hart, HBK, Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle, Bruno Sammartino.) the only person to be the one who was meant to be the drawing point is Gorgeous George back in the 40's, face Punk was and is a big draw, that's why ratings boosted up on the Raw after Payback.

Ryback was as over as it can get at that point. Obviously they killed him just to continue Punk's crappy reign as he was heading into a match with The Rock. Plus if you're a draw, it doesn't matter who you face, you should help the numbers regardless. Punk can only do that if he's facing a bigger star.

Face Punk is no better as a draw. He was given a chance in late 2011 and it resulted in one of the lower overruns in years. That's why Cena was main eventing over him for the first half of last year. Money in the Bank 2011 also had pretty low buyrates for such a big storyline. And the ratings for Raw after Payback has more to do with others. From Mark Henry's excellent retirement speech to Orton and Bryan's match (which got stopped) and Brock Lesnar's return.

It's okay to like him but to say he's a draw is a lie. Specially when you turn around and bash Cena for supposedly killing the ratings when his segments 9 times out of 10 do the best numbers. Some of Punk's shirts have been good sellers with his fans but that's about as far as it gets.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

MITB 2012 with Cena main eventing had lower buyrates then MITB 2011. As well as TLC 2012 with no Punk at all, and it had lower buyrates then the year before with Punk main eventing. Then you have the terrible Cena vs Kane main eventing into EC 2012, and the buy rates dropped again. Cena main eventing at Vengeance 2011? Only a measly 121,000 buys. Now take the Punk and Jeff Hardy feud of 2009. NOC that year had 267,000 buys. You know why? Because it was an actual GOOD STORYLINE to go with two GOOD WRESTLERS. Also Punk main evented like, two PPVs in 2011, you have to give things time to catch on. Take Stone Cold for example, he was given a top face role after Mania 13 and soon after that he was given THE top face role. Ratings and buyrates didn't increase heavily until 1998. Things take time to catch on, it's not just instant.

They never really even gave Punk the ball anyways as Cena was still regularly the focus of the show. People knew that Cena was still going to be the top face at the end of the day because that's what Vince wants.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

It's not always about what main events, though. The main storyline heading into Vengeance was Triple H & Punk facing Miz and R-Truth even though Del Rio vs Cena main evented. Plus I can point out Night of Champions 2011 when Punk faced a part-time Triple H and the buyrates tanked again.

While Punk never got the FULL focus as the top guy, he still got enough of an opportunity so we can decide whether he was a flop or not. Based on the numbers, the only answer I can think of is a FAILURE. And they turned him heel because it was a flop so Vince didn't think it would risk anything and it didn't. They're hesitant to turn Cena because he still makes them plenty of money even though he's stale as it gets. Punk was nowhere near that level and wouldn't have gotten there even as the main focus.

Anyways, enough about ratings. Money in the Bank is coming this Sunday and I really hope Orton wins the briefcase even though Bryan would be fine with me too.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:31 PM Edited by Shenmue18, 08 July 2013 - 08:35 PM.

Did you just completely ignore my point about new top guys taking time to draw? especially like now when ratings are at a low, it takes a new top guy some time to draw people back in. Austin took nearly a year, and he was arguably the most over person in WWF history when he did start drawing big time.

You also seem to be hesitant to remember Post Mania 28 - Raw 1,000 where Punk was incredibly popular in storylines vs Jericho and vs Daniel Bryan. He was getting huge pops and ratings were doing pretty well during those segments, despite the atrocious Cena-Laurinaitis being what WWE was trying to get over with everyone.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

I never said anything about his pops as I wont deny that. But you wanna bring up the Bryan feud. I remember one of their matches on Raw actually lost viewers. Then he main evented with Bryan in a match involving Tensai and that got another low overrun.

And sure, somebody doesn't become a draw overnight but it happens when you get a big push. Punk got the whole second half of 2011 dedicated to him, had the title for the entirety of 2012 and has been feuding with two of the biggest stars this year before he took his break. And still, he's never done anything impressive to solidify himself as a draw or make the thought of him replacing Cena as top guy something that should be considered. I could buy into this excuse two years ago when he had just gotten his push, but it's two years later and he's still pushed as heavily and hasn't done anything for ratings.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Again, Punk was not pushed as the top guy despite holding the title. He only got to main event 2 ppvs as a face. Again, not long enough to draw in people.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

I never said he was, but he was still pushed as a big deal and it didn't bring interest. Not when he was in the main event (with Cena) and not when he playing second fiddle. But whatever, I ain't speaking on this anymore since we're just going in circles.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

Agreed, we're obviously not going to agree on this.

So, what do you guys think is going to happen on Raw tonight? The Wyatt Family debuts tonight, I wonder if they'll have a match as a team or just Bray Wyatt. Or maybe they'll interfere in another match and start abducting people? I wonder if they'll start converting some of the less used superstars and maybe get one bigger one to join their cult. Maybe they'll "kill" people like the Manson family.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

I get the feeling it's going to be big what they're going to do, I'm thinking something involving the McMahon's.

I'm saying that because Bray is a Rotunda (I.R.S.) boy and he and Vince go way back, so he'll get the Vinny backing, plus they have been saying for a while that they aren't going to promote someone from NXT without a long term plan in place for them, so whatever they have planned for The Wyatt's it's going to be big. #FollowTheBuzzards thing as well as Vickie getting a job review.

But I'll just have to wait and see.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

The smarks are already ruining Bray Wyatt. devil.gif

Decent show with some great matches.

The promos were alittle "meh".

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

I nearly punched out my damn TV when the started chanting "Husky Harris" I was really looking forward to this and these annoying wannabe cool guy smarks in the crowd had to ruin it. We all know he's Husky Harris, stop trying to be a cool guy, shut the f*ck up and enjoy his new character.

Werleman1
  • Werleman1

Werle

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

Do you think the Husky Harris chants might stop WWE from pushing Bray Wyatt?
He is so friggin' awsome.

OliRow
  • OliRow

Eater of Worlds

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

The Wyatt Family debut was incredible, one of the best moments on RAW in a very long time. Been watching Bray since his FCW re-debut for his current gimmick, and he is really great. Has a ton of potential, is a decent in ring worker, great on the mic, great leader for the stable.

Oh and no, the Husky Harris chants won't stop him from being pushed.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Louis van Gaal's red and white army!

• Members
  • British-Antarctic-Territory
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

The Wyatt family debut was f*cking awesome!

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

No, it's just annoying. WWE has built this guy up waaaaaaay to long to let Husky Harris chants stop him from being pushed. Hopefully the chants will just die down eventually.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

Ha I saw the Wyatt Family before all you did.

I too hope he gets a better push. We've seen many similar wrestlers in the past, but I'm still curious where they are going with them.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

How'd you see the Wyatt family first? Yeah, he's not an amazing in ring worker, for his build and his size he's really good. He's not a Shawn Michaels or a Bret Hart though, but his character is what's going to get him a push. Triple H gets to control who they build up in NXT and I think he picks who they bring up, so if Trips likes him expect him to be pushed.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

Live event I went to back on the 28th had the Wyatt Family. Wasn't any more special than Raw's.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

Did he actually wrestle a match?

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

he had about a 5 minute match with Alex Riley. It ended with him getting Riley counted out.

What's Wyatt's name again?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users