Post your desktop/PC

3,485 replies to this topic
Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:52 AM

Speaking of cases, does anyone else think that they are a waste of money? I mean why bother getting an expensive one especially when you're planning to place it on the floor\under your desk (unless you have tons of money just laying around). Plus there are plenty of nice ones in the $100 range or slightly higher.

Yes to most people it would be a waste of money, however in my opinion if it's a hobby of yours and you have the extra income, getting a more expensive case is entirely fine. It isn't purely aesthetic either, there is a noticeable difference in quality once you step up into something like Lian Li, whose cases tend to sit around $250+ USD.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:34 AM

There's an increasing number of companies doing custom laser cut cases and the like, for reasonable prices. Someone was showing me a UK based company who do pretty much completely custom made-to-order systems in whatever colour and finish combinations you want, they were only in the £100-150 region.

Edit: This is the site. mAXT systems start at £126, ATX at £181. Custom shop work at £200.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:37 PM

^^ yep mentioned that brand in the last page

one store near my work is selling mini atx for 49.90 euros and micro atx for 89.00 euros. i might get one even if i wont build it lmao

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

Speaking of cases, does anyone else think that they are a waste of money? I mean why bother getting an expensive one especially when you're planning to place it on the floor\under your desk (unless you have tons of money just laying around). Plus there are plenty of nice ones in the $100 range or slightly higher.

Yes to most people it would be a waste of money, however in my opinion if it's a hobby of yours and you have the extra income, getting a more expensive case is entirely fine. It isn't purely aesthetic either, there is a noticeable difference in quality once you step up into something like Lian Li, whose cases tend to sit around $250+ USD.
You could invest that money in a better GPU or something.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

Depends how much you value having a unique, attractive system.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

Same can be said about tuners, the money spent on a car could be invested in a better one, instead people mod the cars to something unique that express theyre personality

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

Not sure if that's the perfect analogy. People typically buy computers with good specs in mind. Not many people buy computers with low specs but spend more money on customizing the thing.

It really only makes sense to me if you already have money for everything that has to do with PCs, in which case you might be rich. In that case I would go for something crazy as well.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:21 PM

I don't think "rich" per se. People spend lots of money on hobbies.
  • Audi likes this

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:03 AM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 14 July 2017 - 12:06 AM.

Not sure if that's the perfect analogy. People typically buy computers with good specs in mind. Not many people buy computers with low specs but spend more money on customizing the thing.

It really only makes sense to me if you already have money for everything that has to do with PCs, in which case you might be rich. In that case I would go for something crazy as well.

ofc it is the perfect analogy, i could have a 1080ti or SLI my gtx1080 if i didnt spent money on watercooling or cases or other things that dont get any performance.
i understand that you only see it as a gaming station, others are enthusiasts, just look at the pcs in here from Noale or Azazel, they are pure art.

now if only i could get my hands on one of those In Win S Frame....

Spoiler

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:03 AM

You could invest that money in a better GPU or something.

People who buy top end cases usually have top end hardware to fill it. For those who don't have the funds for both, it's still perfectly fine if someone prefers a high end case over a GPU upgrade. In my opinion, it's not a waste of money if they weighed their options thoroughly and still went for the expensive case instead of a component upgrade, because that's what they wanted. Some people prefer room aesthetics to pure performance. I won't say they're wasting money for getting what they like and enjoying it. That is after all the best part of having a hobby.

Moreover, cases can last you a very long time. Spending extra on a case is a decent purchase considering you can use them through multiple builds. On the other hand, that slightly better GPU that you could have bought is outdated the second it arrives at your door. So if anything, an expensive case isn't as horrible of an investment as it seems.

• Audi likes this

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

Godfather

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

Used to buy cases around £100 and a bit over, as good a bang for my buck as I could get while at that price point, but for my last two I've just got cheapo cases that are decent enough. Really feel like I wasted my money somewhat, my old cases had some little snazzy features but they just weren't worth it. The main thing I was going for was silence but there was very little improvement with the cost increase.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:27 PM

im very happy i changed my case, it was getting to tight inside the nzxt H440, not saying that its not a good case, probably going to build a second pc in there with some parts that i have laying around.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:56 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 15 July 2017 - 07:02 PM.

Pf5IBVS.jpg

dtcBdWb.jpg

In its RGB glory :p

sp2dm40.jpg

filled the old case with some extra parts

Pentium G3258

Corsair H110i GT

Gtx 970 strix

Asus H81 gamer

16Gb ram DDR3

Tnkc3my.jpg

• El Diablo, Azazel, LevelDockSix and 5 others like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

It's splendid. Love it.

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

blah

Lian Li?

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:57 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 17 July 2017 - 08:04 PM.

Lian Li?

yes, went with the black pc-011 instead, i think the white case would become to boring and the contrast between the white components and the black background ended up looking better IMO.

With the Psu and HDD/SDD going in the back and the front and side window it looks more like a museum display then a pc case.

Worth every penny

edit: i should have painted the bottom radiator, but i was in a rush to put things back together :p maybe in a few months if i do some upgrade or try hardtubing for the first time ill do that

• Noale likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:02 PM

the RGB rainbow colors look so much better than the all-plain white you had before :^:

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

For Christmas maybe lol. I tend to stick to one color with anything RGB and it's usually blue. White is pretty good too.

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:06 PM

Lian Li?

yes, went with the black pc-011 instead, i think the white case would become to boring and the contrast between the white components and the black background ended up looking better IMO.

With the Psu and HDD/SDD going in the back and the front and side window it looks more like a museum display then a pc case.

Worth every penny

edit: i should have painted the bottom radiator, but i was in a rush to put things back together :p maybe in a few months if i do some upgrade or try hardtubing for the first time ill do that

Great choice. I've owned about 6 Lian Li cases now. The quality and finish on them is superb.

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Sure Shot

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • India

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:25 PM Edited by LevelDockSix, 21 July 2017 - 05:42 PM.

Hi everyone, I posted in the sub-forum at the start of the year asking for advice/tips, and I'm happy to say I finished the build last month! Build wise its nothing "spectacular", though I may dedicate more time in perfecting (?) it down the line. Irrespective, I am grateful to everyone who helped me by posting in the earlier thread, and a bit sorry I couldn't stick to certain decisions due to a lack of availability in the region (the Zotac AMP Extreme! for example).

You can view the build on my PCPP page here, and for the lazy:

Spoiler

I've mentioned it in the PCPP page, but one of my RAM modules arrived DOA and it was pretty upsetting to find that out when I tried to get the system to POST. Its since been replaced but that was not a pleasant sight to witness with my first PC build, regardless of how "small" the issue actually was.

I think its pretty clear from the above that there is a huge room for improvement with respect to my cable (and general clutter) management skills :p That room will get shifted around in the next month or so (replacing the existing carpet floor with wooden panels), and as a result of just sheer laziness I didn't bother putting too much effort into the presentation part just yet (Ethernet cable visibly sticking out, etc). I will however admit the actual computer's cable management isn't too hot either; I mostly blame myself for again not trying hard enough but I do genuinely feel like it was an afterthought in the design of this case (the gap between the PSU shroud and GPU to be specific).

Here are some 21:9 screenshots taken from games on the rig if you'd like:

Spoiler

Also, keeping the glass clean is annoying af :angry: folks that come over touch the case to no extent...

• El Diablo, Azazel, 2281 and 4 others like this

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

that is a monster build right there, how you liking the ultrawide side of life ? :p

Audi
  • Audi

Merces Letifer

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Switzerland
  • Best Turbo Quattro 2017

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:09 AM

That is a great looklng setup LDS  :^:

I just need a new desk to clean up my setup.

• LevelDockSix likes this

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Sure Shot

• India

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:05 AM

that is a monster build right there, how you liking the ultrawide side of life ? :p

It's hard to go back to 16:9, I'll tell you that much lol

I was originally planning on the Acer X34A but I found the ASUS for a much cheaper price. I just wish the panel didn't have the backlight bleed issue but mine isn't as bad as some reported online at least.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

You'd probably be paying twice as much for QA that ensures you get a premium IPS panel with no issues whatsoever.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

Backlight bleed is a problem across just about every manufacturer. Even at the absolute top end. £1k RoG Swifts are terrible for it. It's basically pot luck whether or not it'll affect you.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

mine got a bit on one corner, but cant see it unless i turn all light off in the room and some black image is on the monitor. but yeah, this shouldnt even be an issue on such expensive monitor.

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Sure Shot

• India

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

Well great, good job manufacturers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But like I said, I guess I got lucky with my panel.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:23 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 23 July 2017 - 08:24 PM.

I have a bunch of Forza Motorsport 4 4K pictures that I took alternating as my desktop background (16 wallpapers so far). The photo mode is really nice and it gives a glimpse into what the game would look like played in 4K on PC. For a 2011 game it looks really good and is the only one in the series (to my knowledge) that allows taking pictures at a higher resolution than the in-game one (which is 720p).

Spoiler
  • LevelDockSix and Audi like this

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Sure Shot

• India

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:00 AM Edited by LevelDockSix, 25 July 2017 - 10:01 AM.

That's a really nice pic (Forza 4 holding up pretty well, what a fun game) but wouldn't playing Forza 6 Apex at 4K give a better glimpse tbh?

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, it would lol. I will play the Forza games that are on PC when I get to them.

Forza 4 is the game that the modern games are pretty much based on. I mean the improvements to the games were incremental but the driving model in FM4 is the most similar to the one in the modern games. I wish the older games were on PC as well.
  • LevelDockSix likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users