• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4,565 replies to this topic
asimov
  • asimov

up Debts!

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (poopskin @ Apr 23 2009, 07:59)
Hey, if i plug two computers and two monitors into the same Powerstrip, do i risk frying anything?

Are you talking about a 4 socket adaptor for your wall socket? If yes then it is fine to use, I've seen powerboards that have 8+ sockets. Just don't go adding double adaptors or extra powerboards to the original powerboard.

poopskin
  • poopskin

Yardie | Not a Clever Man

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

No, it's a 6-outlet power strip (i can't remember the actual name, it's one of those strips you plug into a outlet and there's 6 outlets on it...Surge protector comes to mind.). 2 outlets are not taken up, enough for my spare computer and it's monitor.

asimov
  • asimov

up Debts!

• Members

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE (poopskin @ Apr 24 2009, 04:36)
No, it's a 6-outlet power strip (i can't remember the actual name, it's one of those strips you plug into a outlet and there's 6 outlets on it...Surge protector comes to mind.). 2 outlets are not taken up, enough for my spare computer and it's monitor.

Your fine, they were made for this purpose, having a surge protector is even better.

poopskin
  • poopskin

• Members

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:25 AM

it worked.

...Of course, now my main computer is inexplicably screwing up whenever i run WinAmp...Now it's one of those programs that makes my PSU wig out? confused.gif

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

Horny

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:28 AM

Aight not too sure what I'm looking for but here it goes. My PC didn't come with a DVD drive (I know what your thinking... this thing aint exactly top of the line lol) but I managed to hook one up so I could play/install games that came on DVDs. Problem is, I'd like to be able to watch DVDs on my PC but it didn't come with any playback software. Is there any free DVD playback software on the web anywhere? Obviously, I'm not looking for anything illegal/warez etc but there's usually free, independant word processing/web design etc software floating about so I was thinking there might be something I could use to play DVDs? I mean, are there any codecs or whatever for Winamp/Windows Media Player I could use? Been looking around but I can't find anything free or anything that I can make sense of tounge2.gif

Proper not that smart at technical sh*t so any help would be appreciated.

Stink_Fist
  • Stink_Fist

Goo Goo G'Joob

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:35 AM

Ok, I'm not the biggest computer buff here, hence why I'm taking a few classes at school, to boost my knowledge. I've heard everyone talking about re-formatting their pc, I don't really get it, they just say it will run faster. I'm guessing it just deletes all the software you don't need and leaves the stuff you use. Wouldit be possible for someone to PM about how it works, and what it does? Cheers.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:45 AM Edited by girishb, 24 April 2009 - 05:48 AM.

QUOTE (Stink_Fist @ Apr 24 2009, 11:05)
Ok, I'm not the biggest computer buff here, hence why I'm taking a few classes at school, to boost my knowledge. I've heard everyone talking about re-formatting their pc, I don't really get it, they just say it will run faster. I'm guessing it just deletes all the software you don't need and leaves the stuff you use. Wouldit be possible for someone to PM about how it works, and what it does? Cheers.

Formatting your PC will delete all data on your HDD and not leave anything at all. I'm not sure how that is supposed to help your PC run faster. Instead, you could try defragmenting your HDD though.

@SIKKS66: http://www.mpcstar.com/download.htm
If it still asks for codecs, install this: http://www.codecguid...download_kl.htm

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

anti-pasto

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Australia

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (poopskin @ Apr 24 2009, 08:25)
it worked.

...Of course, now my main computer is inexplicably screwing up whenever i run WinAmp...Now it's one of those programs that makes my PSU wig out? confused.gif

Good god, if your PSU can't even handle WINAMP (!), that PSU must be one huge piece of sh*t. I recommend you replace it ASAP before you f*ck your entire system up.

@SIKKS66, Just get
VLC.

@Stink_Fist, Formatiing makes your PC run faster because Windows really clutters up over time. Sure, defragmenting and programs like CCleaner help, but there are some things they can't even fix.

Don't expect miracles though, it'll make it perform faster, sure, but it won't turn into some super fast beast.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (Stink_Fist @ Apr 24 2009, 01:35)

First of all, you need to understand a little bit about partitions. Disks that Windows shows you are essentially one logical partition each. These can be distributed between one or more Hard Drive Disks. There are some other partitions hidden from view that are used by the system. Formatting a partition destroys all data on it and lets you set up a new file system. For home-use purposes, data destroyed in format cannot be recovered. Data recovery experts can get around it, though, so formatting is not a good way to get rid of the data you really want gone. Neither is deleting files. You have to use special software to really destroy data.

If you format a partition that holds your operating system (Disk C, most commonly under DOS and Windows OS), your operating system will be gone. You will have to install it again from scratch. All your settings and all the files and folders on that partition will be erased.

If you have multiple partitions, you can format one without destroying contents of others. So if you have Disk C and Disk D for storing data, you can move everything you want to keep to D, and then format C. That lets you re-install a fresh copy of your operating system, which can help with performance. Typically, that's what people mean when they suggest formatting disk to improve performance.

If you do attempt this, keep in mind the following. All files on partition will be effectively gone. Back up everything you want to keep. It might be a good idea to backup to external drive, just in case. You will need to re-install the OS. Your PC will be a paperweight until you do. There are distributions of Linux you can run off a CD, though. I recommend getting comfortable with one before attempting a format, because if something goes wrong, that bootable CD will be the only way for you to fix things and to reach files that may still be on your disks. Ubuntu and DSL Linux are good candidates for that. Nice thing about DSL is that it can be run on just about any machine. Ubuntu is more user friendly, though.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

Horny

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

Cheers Warlord, girishb.

DannyRowntree
  • DannyRowntree

Nufc nut

• Members

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

Hi guys,
my pc is running proper slow.
how do i find out and upgrade my ram ?

ChanandlerBong
  • ChanandlerBong

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (DannyRowntree @ Apr 24 2009, 16:54)
Hi guys,
my pc is running proper slow.
how do i find out and upgrade my ram ?

You might not need more RAM. Have you tried deleting programs you don't need, doing a disc cleanup and a defragment?

Download CCleaner

Ed 
  • Ed 

Puusnofl

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • GTA Series Awards - Best Contribution 2009.
    Excellent GTAForums Contributor (carried over from misc. awards).

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

It might not only be old and unused programs, and fragmentation. It could be malware, adware and spyware. I suggest you download:
Lavasoft's Ad-Aware - http://www.lavasoft...._aware_free.php
Spybot's Search & Destroy - http://www.safer-net...load/index.html
Scan your PC with them. Might make your PC a lot faster if there are mal/ad/spyware on it.

poopskin
  • poopskin

• Members

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:02 AM

"Athlon 64 (O) 3500+ 2.2 GHz (35W)"

Is this at least a semidecent processor? i'm thinking about upgrading the zombie a bit once i get some spare money (sure, OpenSuSE runs fine on 512mb of RAM and a 200gb hard drive alone, but...), and i intend to upgrade it to it's max of 2gb. RAM and maybe a new hard drive. If this isn't at least semidecent, can someone link me to a upgrade board for the HP pavilion Slimline s7600n's form factor?

McLovin2404
  • McLovin2404

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:12 PM Edited by McLovin2404, 27 April 2009 - 07:21 AM.

Hi there.

Sorry for the Hell's Kitchen question earlier. LOL

Just wondering if its possible to increase buffer for DVD burner?

I noticed my buffer is at 2000kbs (thru Nero) but I've read around that some burners are way higher than that.

I'm using Pioneer DVR-115D. I've updated the firmware but notice no difference.

And the funny thing is...when I burn a full 4.5 GB DVD, it would take around an hour to complete the burning. But on other systems, it would burn within 15 minutes or less. And on all occasions, I burn at MAX speed.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

anti-pasto

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Australia

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

Not really. Most burners come with 2MB cache. There are only a few drives with more cache than that, and msot of those drives are BD writers.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:58 PM Edited by Wolf68k, 26 April 2009 - 10:01 PM.

QUOTE (poopskin @ Apr 25 2009, 22:02)

Is this at least a semidecent processor? i'm thinking about upgrading the zombie a bit once i get some spare money (sure, OpenSuSE runs fine on 512mb of RAM and a 200gb hard drive alone, but...), and i intend to upgrade it to it's max of 2gb. RAM and maybe a new hard drive. If this isn't at least semidecent, can someone link me to a upgrade board for the HP pavilion Slimline s7600n's form factor?

Suggestion...
Create a new topic in Tech&PC about this.
Include your current specs: motherboard, CPU, RAM size and speed, graphics card, HDD, PSU
Ans also include your budget

You'll get a lot more and "better" help that way.

@McLovin2404
Short answer, as Warlord. said, No.
As long as you have a drive that is new and made within the last 4-5 years you shouldn't have to worry about it. The drives made in the last 4-5 years have some sort of buffer underrun prevention.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:30 AM

2Gb? You do realize that they have 8Gb sticks now, right? That means with just two of the right slots you could have 16Gb.

nixxio
  • nixxio

Cow-tippin Crack Baby

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Apr 27 2009, 02:30)

2Gb? You do realize that they have 8Gb sticks now, right? That means with just two of the right slots you could have 16Gb.

It's most probably the motherboards limit itself not the amount of slots left.

poopskin
  • poopskin

• Members

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

The computer's a HP s7600n slimline from 2006, and 2gb is the most it supports.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (poopskin @ Apr 27 2009, 15:48)
The computer's a HP s7600n slimline from 2006, and 2gb is the most it supports.

A prebuild system huh? And it's 3 years old. Well then your upgrade options got a heck of a lot smaller.
After looking at HP's site for the specs, your upgrade options are a lot like that model; slim and none.
RAM: 2x1GB
While it does have an AM2 port, judging from past experience, the CPU that's installed is most likely the best the mobo will allow and support.
No expansion slots but for a single PCI slot that if I'm reading it right is already taken.

The only 3 things you can really upgrade are the RAM, HDD and DVD burner.
The only problem with replacing the HDD is if the factory recovery is on a special partition of that drive

poopskin
  • poopskin

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:15 AM

i've already formatted it and installed linux, so recovery no more!
If you can say anything, just post it in the specific topic i made.

Anyway, i found another outlet extender/surge protector/whatever out in the garage, but the plug is missing a pin (the 3rd pin you usually see on computers and game systems). there's a hole where it's supposed to be. is it safe to use?

asimov
  • asimov

up Debts!

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (poopskin @ Apr 29 2009, 09:15)
i've already formatted it and installed linux, so recovery no more!
If you can say anything, just post it in the specific topic i made.

Anyway, i found another outlet extender/surge protector/whatever out in the garage, but the plug is missing a pin (the 3rd pin you usually see on computers and game systems). there's a hole where it's supposed to be. is it safe to use?

No it's not, it was designed to carry the charge over 3 prongs, so even though it has a surge protector you are taking you chances by using it in a big way, they are dirt cheap man.

poopskin
  • poopskin

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:01 AM

ah. good thing i haven't used it yet.

Well, i'm gonna have to find yet another bloody plug extender. why don't outlets just have 6 plugs in the 1st place?!

Gouveia
  • Gouveia

#YardOn

• The Yardies
  • Brazil

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

I had MSN Messenger 8.5 and it kept bitching that I needed to upgrade it. I did and it didn't log in with my account but logged with others fine. I tried to uninstall it, but with no success, and I just SHIFT+DELeted the whole folder. Now, whenever I try to reinstall the new Windows Live Messenger, it says that messenger is already installed, and when I try to open the old installer, it gives me a "catastrophic failure" error.

Does anyone here knows what could be the solution?

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

Blind leading the deaf, leading the socially inept.

• Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (VinnyGouveia @ Apr 29 2009, 15:23)
I had MSN Messenger 8.5 and it kept bitching that I needed to upgrade it. I did and it didn't log in with my account but logged with others fine. I tried to uninstall it, but with no success, and I just SHIFT+DELeted the whole folder. Now, whenever I try to reinstall the new Windows Live Messenger, it says that messenger is already installed, and when I try to open the old installer, it gives me a "catastrophic failure" error.

Try something like CCleaner and delete the entry from the cleaner, this should allow you to reinstall

Gouveia
  • Gouveia

#YardOn

• The Yardies
  • Brazil

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (Ronnyboy @ Apr 29 2009, 21:39)
QUOTE (VinnyGouveia @ Apr 29 2009, 15:23)

Try something like CCleaner and delete the entry from the cleaner, this should allow you to reinstall

Didn't work, but I worked around it. I installed a portable version of MSN 8.1. Old, but it worked.

TheSamurai Hobo
  • TheSamurai Hobo

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (TheSamurai Hobo @ Feb 28 2009, 11:32)
QUOTE (Sweets @ Feb 28 2009, 00:49)
QUOTE (TheSamurai Hobo @ Feb 27 2009, 08:19)
QUOTE (TheSamurai Hobo @ Jan 17 2009, 11:44)
QUOTE (Warlord. @ Jan 17 2009, 00:32)
Clear your internet cache and try again.

You could also try resetting your router/modem and see if it helps.

Have you tried using a different browser? Try Opera and see if its the same in that.

Tried that, no go.
~
Resetting the router doesn't work.
~
I tried IE and it is working..

(edit again)

I think I'll just download and use Opera for YouTube (f*cking FF3 whatsthat.gif )

(final edit) I might even make the switch to Opera.. I like it. Especially since I can see embedded youtube vids

Bump.

Happening again.

Cleared cache/cookies

Help?

*Google Chrome, Opera, FF3, IE7 all can not load youtube

What OS are you on?

If it's XP:
Click Start > Run
Then type "cmd /k ipconfig /flushdns"

If it's Vista:
Click Start > All Programs > Accessories
Then right click "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as administrator"
In the window that pops up type "ipconfig /flushdns"

If it's successful you should see "Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache"

Then try google/youtube again.

Also, try this link http://209.85.133.99/

Does that take you to google, or is it blocked as well?

How about this one for youtube?
http://208.65.153.253/

@other topic
You can discuss limewire (even though it's sh*t), there's a damn pinned topic on this. If nobody else has brought up illegal downloads, you shouldn't either. That said, since I don't use that garbage I can't help with it.

The flushing DNS did not work, but the IPs do icon14.gif

Btw, yes I'm on XP

(Above, the IP works, but no video will load)

I still have no solution to this bullsh*t

Google.com gives the same error as youtube.com or .ca but google.ca works. Adobe.com doesn't work, but .ca does. I try to download the flashplayer (despite already having it) and i get redirected to adobe.com for the error

Anyone?

copperwire93
  • copperwire93

Copperdude

• Members

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:19 PM Edited by copperwire93, 01 May 2009 - 01:12 PM.

Can someone help me, I always got server time out (ping out) on IRC on certain period of time. How do I fix this? I'm currently use Chatzilla.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (copperwire93 @ May 1 2009, 07:19)
Can someone help me, I always got server time out (ping out) on IRC on certain period of time. How do I fix this? I'm currently use Chatzilla.

It might help to know what server you're trying to connect to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users