Photo

FAQ

7 replies to this topic
REspawn
  • REspawn

REgent

• Members

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

Below are some of the most commonly recurring questions, if you have a question and its not answered here and you feel it doesn’t merit an entire post just throw it in a reply below.

Again this is a tool related faq, most of the other sections of the forums have there own faq or similar so have a look there first.

Questions below
  1. What tools do I need to make a map or new item for the map(e.g.: A new building)?
  2. What tools do I need to make a new car or mod an exsisting car?
  3. How do I edit the players clothes / tattoos / hair / appearance?
  4. What 3D Application should I use?
  5. Is it true you and illspirit own a cabbin in the woods?
  6. How do I create a mission?
  7. How do I make custom objects for the game?

----------

1. Question : What tools do I need to make a map or new item for the map (e.g.: A new building)
    Answer : Your going to need several tools…
    • 3D Modelling application
    • Texture Editor
    • Collision Editor
    • IMG Archive Editor
    • Map Editor *
    When it comes to the 3D Modelling application you need one capable of exporting in .dff file format, this is the model format of GTA. For most users the free version of ZModeler is just fine. There are plenty of export scripts and plugins available for the mainstream 3D apps.

A complete list of tutorials on making new objects for the game can be found Here
    A complete list of the tools mentioned above can be found Here
    * Depending on the 3D Application you use a map editor may not be needed
    --
  2. Question : What tools do I need to make a new car or mod an exsisting car?
    Answer : You are going to need almost the same tools as you do for map editing (minus the map editor of course).

In addition to those tools you may want to check out a configuration editor to allow you to edit the cars setup.
    A complete list of tutorials on making /editing cars can be found Here
    --
  3. Question : How do I edit the players clothes / tattoos / hair / appearance?
    Answer : There are two main types of alteration you can make to a player or any other object in the game for that matter.

1. Where you do not physically change the item. (e.g. You put the words “REspawn rules” on the players t-shirt)
    2. Where you physically change the item (e.g. You change the t-shirt into a bikini top)

In situation one you will need the following..
    • Texture Editor
    • IMG Archive Editor
    • DFF Viewer *
    In situation two you will need..
    • Texture Editor
    • IMG Archive Editor
    • 3D Application (see question 4 for info on these)
    A complete list of tutorials on textures / editing can be found Here

* Not a necessity but its a lot easier than running the game every time you want to see the changes you made
    --
  4. Question : What 3D Application should I use?
    Answer : This is really a choice based on your skill, experience, interest and ability to obtain

R* use 3D Studio Max which is a tad on the expensive side, but if you have access to it then I myself would fully recommend using it.

But your not limited to just that, support exsists for many of the other mainstream 3D apps out there.

For most users starting out ZModeler is the way to go, its free, it works and its got a load of tutorials for it.
    --
  5. Question : Is it true you and illspirit own a cabbin in the woods?
    Answer : Yes. Yes it is.
    --
  6. Question : How do I create a mission?
    Answer : You going to need a mission coding tool and then your going to need a mission coding tutorial.

There is not much else to say really, there are several mission coding tools available and load of tutorials on the subject.

A complete list of tutorials on mission coding can be found Here
    --
  7. Question : How do I make custom objects for the game?
    Answer : Check out question one

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:34 PM Edited by Cerbera, 18 June 2007 - 05:41 PM.

To create an numbered list, use [list=1].

Please don't use long strings of hyphens. They cause horizontal scrolling.

Ideally, link text should be meaningful so people can scan-read the topic to find links to the information they need. For example, you have this:
QUOTE (Respawn)
A complete list of tutorials on making new objects for the game can be found Here
It would be better like this:
QUOTE (Cerbera)
Tutorials about making new objects.
More importantly, the destination should match what you say is there. In these examples, you talk about a list of tutorials specifically about making new objects. But the user is taken to a (usually out-of-date) list of tutorials on a variety of subjects.

You might as well just say this:
QUOTE (Cerbera)
Search the Tutorials Forum for detailed guides about how to create new objects.
Ideally, you would link to one or two specific tutorials which are known to be very good, using the title of the tutorial as the link text.

If this is too much maintenance (I think it would be), you could just have one link to the Tutorial Forum at the start and remove the others.

(EDIT) I can't reply to the File Formats topic because it is locked. Most formats aren't documented on GTAmodding. They are documented on GTAF or on the websites of people with a special interest in those formats.

Perhaps this area would be more useful as a "Tools & Formats" area? That way the topics about water.dat and cullzones would be in the same place as the editors which are used to alter them.

proname
  • proname

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

thanks for the info colgate.gif Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Dmoneygspot
  • Dmoneygspot

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:19 AM

mayb i can learn this stuff myself now.....

highwayman5212
  • highwayman5212

Highwayman5212

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

i just want to add a few new cars and skins into the game, how do i do that? im Very new to this and would like to know how to do it. I am not interested in making them myself (im very n00b) i just wanna load them in and see them for all their glory smile.gif

thanks in advance icon14.gif lol.gif

MSthebilder
  • MSthebilder

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:58 AM

hey im still unsure about how to mod-what programs i need to make cars, and can they work for gta 4?

xXxbBb
  • xXxbBb

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

then how to make or edit animations(IFP) ? can anybody tell me that sarcasm.gif ?

headmetalbanger
  • headmetalbanger

A Dose of Metal you need!!!

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:50 PM Edited by headmetalbanger, 13 September 2012 - 04:28 AM.

EDIT; I have the tool, thanks biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users