Photo

Strange Acceleration Bug

51 replies to this topic
LEViANT
  • LEViANT

ch34t3r

• Members

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

done it all - fixes, drivers etc - nothing.
you have a modded or a different copy

no, i have the same copy which i installed on my old pc.

btw i have the problem in the gta3 too.
can i ask u something? iF u have really fast pc can u do som things like reverse on cars or avery missions without fps limiter?

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (LEViANT @ May 29 2007, 12:49)
can i ask u something? iF u have really fast pc can u do som things like reverse on cars or avery missions without fps limiter?

Yeah, I think you're are right. This problem might have something to do with certain CPUs. Because when bugs like these get fixed when you Alt-tab out, it has something to do with CPU priority and processes in Task Manager.

But we are not sure if this is a result of a very slow computer though. Could be though.

LEViANT
  • LEViANT

ch34t3r

• Members

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

bugs like these get fixed when you Alt-tab out
u got it fixed? dontgetit.gif mine not.

anyway if i got more than 190 fps these bugs will occur.

result of a very slow computer though

what u mean "slow"?

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:01 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 29 May 2007 - 09:05 PM.

QUOTE (LEViANT)
u got it fixed?  mine not.

No, I haven't tested it out as yet. And even if I was about to test it, I wouldn't even no where to begin getting the same bug scenarios as you.

anyway if i got more than 190 fps these bugs will occur.

Some different hardware, motherboards, and CPU can cause that acceleration bug (car scrapes on ground) to occur, supposedly 100% of the time instead of it only happening when you alt-tab out of Vice City after you hear other cars' engine. It would be a good idea in your case to update your CPU drivers, as well as your motherboard chipset drivers (sound/graphics -> southbridge). CPU drivers can be found on AMD/INTEL.com depending on what brand it is. You can also get them from your motherboard manufacturer's website. MSI has the Liveupdate utility that you can use as well; not really sure about other motherboard brands.

I thought you said that you got over 100 fps: "anyway if i got more than 190 fps these bugs will occur". What the hell is this madness anyway? bored.gif

Try to turn FPS limiter on, yeah... playing with 30 fps is bad idea, or try to use Vsync and its will give u 60 fps but "mouse oil" effect too.

cry.gif

what u mean "slow"?

...Well, not slow, since you managed to get over 100+fps in the game. And I doubt that the frame limiter has anything to do with the kind of bugs you're experiencing (like car/mission script bugs). Kinda looks to me like a random/made-up bug you're talking about, and then posting it on the forum.

The reason why I am quoting as hell is because I am utterly confused about your bug problem. I will show a movie about how to fix this, and I am pretty sure tonyresta was actually reversing and using his brakes in his video?

LEViANT
  • LEViANT

ch34t3r

• Members

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

"mouse oil" effect
When the vsync is on a reaction of mouse pointer will be slower, feels like its moves on the oil, if ure gamer u have to know the symptom.

No, I haven't tested it out as yet. And even if I was about to test it, I wouldn't even no where to begin getting the same bug scenarios as you.

Try to do these things with 190+ fps.

What the hell is this madness anyway?

I mean if i got 190fps - nothing will help.

P.S. (sry for my english)

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:44 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 30 May 2007 - 01:22 AM.

QUOTE (LEViANT @ May 29 2007, 17:46)
I mean if i got 190fps - nothing will help.

Turn on the frame limiter then! I turned my frame limtier on/off, and the results of the bug are not there. And I thought 30fps was a bad idea? Why isn't 100fps+ the bad idea?

Try to do these things with 190+ fps.

May I ask for all of your system specs before I begin helping you further? The closest I got to Vice City on maximum w/o frame limiter turned on is I think 110fps. Video will be arriving soon in this post soon...

Strange Acceleration Bug video:
Note: The slight pauses in gameplay means that I Alt-tab out of Vice City and then back in. And wow, the quality is good as well. See, the bug and the actual solution is shown. And also, when the bug is there...the engine isn't loud...but when the bug is not present...then the engine is finally loud as it used to be.

Is that your problem LEViANT, HerrieM, ZOM-B, tonyresta? I can do it everytime I want as if it is like a glitch! lol.gif
And this can't possibly occur on a PS2/Xbox console.

LEViANT
  • LEViANT

ch34t3r

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:47 AM Edited by LEViANT, 30 May 2007 - 09:02 AM.

And I thought 30fps was a bad idea? Why isn't 100fps+ the bad idea?

Coz 30 fps is not so playble.

May I ask for all of your system specs before I begin helping you further?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Gigabyte GA-965P DS4
Kingston 2048mb (1024 X 2) DDR2 667 RAM
Radeon X1900GT (256mb)
WinXP SP2

I cant make movie with the bugs coz when im recording - FPS's drops to 25 and all became normall.

Im trying to find solution/tool/prog or something else to stik my fps's on 100, and its all the story.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:17 AM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 30 May 2007 - 04:14 PM.

Coz 30 fps is not so playble.

I cant make movie with the bugs coz when im recording - FPS's drops to 25 and all became normall.

It is playable. You have a fast computer. And VC was meant to be played on 30fps anyway (whereas SA is 25fps). My computer too is playing it on 30fps w/AA-AF turned on. Plus, I made a movie w/FRAPS and everything was smooth and still normal. confused.gif

"mouse oil" effect
When the vsync is on a reaction of mouse pointer will be slower, feels like its moves on the oil, if ure gamer u have to know the symptom.

I only know the symptom known as "tearing, stuttering, or flickering". And "mouse lag" when the fps is way below normal! -> like say less than 15-20fps.

Im trying to find solution/tool/prog or something else to stik my fps's on 100, and its all the story.

All I can think off is to go in Display Properties, and set the monitor's refresh rate to 100Hz (or less/more). Now go into ATi Catalyst CC, and force VSync to be enabled throughout the game. And I think you need to turn off frame limiter as well, but VSync should disable the fps limiter (I think) anyway.

So... did you managed to get it the fps capped to 100 with what was stated above?

LEViANT
  • LEViANT

ch34t3r

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:12 PM

So... did you managed to get it the fps capped to 100 with what was stated above?

its not helped. i have lcd monitor (here is always 60Mhz) and when i turn vsync on it gives me 60 fps + the "mouse lag".

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:55 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 30 May 2007 - 09:06 PM.

Did you make sure to uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" in Display Properties. All of the refresh rate modes should be there in a drop-down list box.

the "mouse lag".

And no, mouse lag doesn't happen on Core 2 Duo gaming PCs.

LEViANT
  • LEViANT

ch34t3r

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:59 PM

Did you make sure to uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" in Display Properties.

Yes i know. I can set even 180 but i will have only 60.

And no, mouse lag doesn't happen on Core 2 Duo gaming PCs.

Yes it is. I have and had it on all my pc's with all games - if vsync is on i got slow reaction of mouse.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:07 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 31 May 2007 - 02:57 AM.

I don't get slow reaction on mouse. What are you "talking" about?

All VSync does is to sync the fps to the refresh rate. So does the video shown above have at least anything to do with your current problem? Mouse "sensitivitiy" lag only occurs if you don't have a high fps, and since VC was meant to be played on 30fps, you can't possibly experience bugs. I am assuming as well that you have the sensitivity (both mouse cursor/acceleration) options in Control Panel near to the max, and in Vice City mouse setup?!

...anyway, you want to know MY system specs? Tada!

Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz
1GB of RAM
Radeon X1950 Pro

Now compare this to YOUR computer. Your computer is at least 1.5+ times better than it mainly because you have dual-core processor and more memory, plus your video card is only a tad bit weaker than mines. And this brings us to a next idea to fix your bug problems: did you set the affinity of the [gta-vc] process to only 1 CPU core? Remember the game doesn't support dual-core processors, and enabling it will only speed up gameplay tremendously. To balance the fps, try maxing out the resolution, turning off frame limiter & VSync, maxing out the draw distance, and then turn on 16x AA/AF! See if your problem is now solved. rah.gif

If nothing helps, then I am officially out of problems/ideas for your kind of situation dude. But what I would like to know is if the video above has anything to do with your problem? If not, then I would assume that whatever solution you manage to come up for your problem, helps out the thread starter here as well. smile.gif

LEViANT
  • LEViANT

ch34t3r

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:10 AM

All VSync does is to sync the fps to the refresh rate

I know

Mouse "sensitivitiy" lag only occurs if you don't have a high fps, and since VC was meant to be played on 30fps, you can't possibly experience bugs.

I really duuno why is so, but i always had this problem, with vsync, and all my friends too, and if i play with frame limiter mouse reaction is ok.

I am assuming as well that you have the sensitivity (both mouse cursor/acceleration) options in Control Panel near to the max, and in Vice City mouse setup?!

problem isnt here, for example you move the mouse after 1ms its reacting and with vsync is reacting after 10ms.

did you set the affinity of the [gta-vc] process to only 1 CPU core?

Yes of course.

To balance the fps, try maxing out the resolution, turning off frame limiter & VSync, maxing out the draw distance, and then turn on 16x AA/AF!

Haha, i fixed so these bugs in gta3 there i had 240 - 270 fps i turned aa/af on max its give me
110 - 150 perfect for gameplay.

But in VC i have 350 - 400 fps and with aa/af on max fps drops to 250 - 300, and thats not good.

in VC try to set on low ur graphics, resolution etc, to get hight fps, and go to some "lite" graphical place (beach for example) and do reverse on some car. So u can understand better what im talkin about.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:31 PM

in VC try to set on low ur graphics, resolution etc, to get hight fps, and go to some "lite" graphical place (beach for example) and do reverse on some car. So u can understand better what im talkin about.

Well, I'm gonna try and test that out later.

...so if VSync is giving you problems, then why don't you turn it off and use the frame limiter instead?

LEViANT
  • LEViANT

ch34t3r

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:59 PM

then why don't you turn it off and use the frame limiter instead?

Coz 30fps really not playble for me.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:46 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 31 May 2007 - 06:50 PM.

A question: can you tell me exactly how fast your eye can render the real-world outside? What fps does your eye go at -> 30fps? If it is 10-20fps processing speed or less, then I have heard glasses that speeds up the rendering capabilites of your eyes (or you could buy robot eyes). But they are called super-glasses I think. Anyway... sarcasm.gif

Trust me, go to Google.com and type in "Human eye fps". They will be a lot of results/aritcles/blogs about this case. Seriously, if there is one thing that the human eye can't though, it would easily make your graphics card useless (a bottlenecking factor). biggrin.gif

OK OK OK, I am going to test out what you asked for me to do. You better hope it happens to me as well! But please comment about what I posted above in this post is utter garbage or if it makes sense to you?

LEViANT
  • LEViANT

ch34t3r

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

I posted above in this post is utter garbage or if it makes sense to you?

I think - first. Human eyes can see up to 100, precisely 85.

You better hope it happens to me as well!

But do it with 200+ fps rolleyes.gif

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:03 AM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 02 June 2007 - 07:55 AM.

Wow, you were angry.gif right! Well then, this is obviously due to the fact that Vice City was meant to be played on only 30fps with the frame limiter on. However, even at 60+fps I still manage to fix the SA bug glitch, except for the "strange deceleration bug" glitch (because the game isn't moving at the same speed as your input devices). But what's else? -> I didn't experience slow mouse lag reactions at 60+fps!

Note: I hope when somebody gives to you a PS2/Xbox controller, I hope you say that the game isn't playable.

QUOTE (LEViANT)
"lite" graphical place

A non-graphical intensive place would be of course the ghostworlds, particularly the Hotring. Anyway, all areas caused me to get this new "Strange Deceleration Bug".

If you really want to get the game running at a constant 100fps, then maybe buy a monitor that supports 100Hz refresh rate (but I think Vice City would force it to return back to 60Hz/fps anyway if VSync is enabled). If you want to find a program, then do that yourself.

I say try playing the game at 60/70fps for the devil.gif 's sake!

QUOTE (Vice City ReadMe)
Frame Limit:
We do not suggest disabling the "Frame Limit" in the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City display
Setup page, as this will lead to a more "variable" rate of playback.

QUOTE (San Andreas ReadMe)
Normally the frame rate of GRAND THEFT AUTO: San Andreas is capped at 25-30 frames per second. This option allows the game to go faster than 30 frames per second. Be warned that this will not magically make GRAND THEFT AUTO: San Andreas run better, but rather may make your experience "more variable". We do not recommend un-locking the frame rate. If you have a fast machine, it is far preferable to increase resolution, detail options, anti aliasing, etc. rather than trying to achieve a higher frame rate by un-locking the Frame Limiter. This will lead to a more variable game play experience.
So by you now trying to turn off the frame limiter, you are complaining of bugs? anuj_cop.gif

And BTW, you should have noticed by now that your saved game file takes longer to load up + it takes longer to go back in/out of the main menu. But all I am trying to say for your 100fps sake, if 30fps is for whatever reason not playable, try 60-70fps! Everything will be smooth and there's no mouse lag apart from "in-game loading" lag. I have tested this myself.

So there's the "Strange Acceleration Bug" glitch, and you are the only person that managed to come with the "Strange Deceleration Bug" glitch! I like the SD bug better than the SA bug, because it does come with other bugs too right LEViANT? rah.gif

One of the ridiculous things that happens when people don't try to play with the frame limiter on, they get used to playing it off! rahkstar2.gif

But then again, when VSync is on and the frame limiter is off, you'll get the "Strange Texture Bug" problem (game too slow for the graphic's rendering speed) where textures take long to load up. Is that the "Mouse oil" effect you're referring to? If not, then at 30fps, you'll won't experience this lagginess and will also achieve the same performance as PS2/Xbox gamers, but with better graphics.

LEViANT
  • LEViANT

ch34t3r

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

So by you now trying to turn off the frame limiter, you are complaining of bugs?

In the san andreas? no, i dont have any bugs in san andreas with fps limiter off.

I hope when somebody gives to you a PS2/Xbox controller, I hope you say that the game isn't playable.

Huh?

And BTW, you should have noticed by now that your saved game file takes longer to load up + it takes longer to go back in/out of the main menu.

True.

try 60-70fps! Everything will be smooth and there's no mouse lag apart from "in-game loading" lag.

U mean turn vsync on, right? But, YES, i got the mause lag.

But then again, when VSync is on and the frame limiter is off, you'll get the "Strange Texture Bug" problem (game too slow for the graphic's rendering speed) where textures take long to load up

Now no. But i HAD it on my OLD pc. (my old pc specs Athlon 3200+ (venice), 2048mb ram, x800gt) colgate.gif

I like the SD bug better than the SA bug, because it does come with other bugs too right LEViANT?

Yes, these bugs i have: 1. Cars do not "slides" (for example u have 30fps and drive the car on 200km/h u release the "acceleraton" button ur car will slide 100 - 200 meters AND if u have 200fps ur car will slide 10 - 20 meters. (is metric system good for u?))
2. Max speed of cars is less (maybe its looks like, coz of slides).
3. Boats is really slow. (Not so slow u cant move, but u never win any boat mission)

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:54 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 04 June 2007 - 06:43 PM.

In the san andreas? no, i dont have any bugs in san andreas with fps limiter off.

SA is not as buggy as VC, so this is no surprise. I even remember when I was running around in one of the Film Studios' building in Vice City to find the hidden packages (I was really sleepy sleepy.gif ), and apparently when I woke up... I kept running at some corner and I realized that I got teleported into an unknown location, and I got stuck in an "indefinite loop". Checked out Catalyst to see if my graphics card was dying, and I saw no information about the temp. Alt-tabbed back in VC, and the game just crashed as usual and the Catalyst was all back to normal. So, Vice City really is a buggy game. alien.gif

Oh, and I think you had missed out on another "Frame Limiter off" bug -> planes won't take off like the seaplane behind Film Studios (found that out in another thread). I'm gonna see if I can find some more bugs! cool.gif

Huh?

PS2/Xbox versions runs at 30fps as well, doesn't it?

U mean turn vsync on, right? But, YES, i got the mause lag.

But you'll get the Strange Texture Bug once you turn on VSync, and then turn off Frame Limiter (happened to me but with no mouse lag). What I am saying is that whatever you try will give you newer problems in all situations, except for when the frame limiter is on?

TonyResta
  • TonyResta

Tony Resta

• Members

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:50 PM

Thanks Ring_of_Fire, i can finally enjoy vice city again, ive also made a comparison video showing the fixed version and the bugged one, ive also added you to the credits. Ive added a tune from the lemmings in the background lol, bring back some memories.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (LEViANT)
Im trying to find solution/tool/prog or something else to stik my fps's on 100

Hope this helps: Download FRAPS and since you have a powerful computer, let the FPS be 75 and record at the same time while playing. I think if you choose the "Custom" option, you can record at 100 and it will give you 100fps as well. If your computer is slowing down and not giving you the FPS you want, then set the resolution to 640x480, don't record sound, and choose the half-size option. It should be stable. smile.gif

Which recording program you using? Use FRAPS, and follow the advice above.

QUOTE (tony-resta)
ive also made a comparison video showing the fixed version and the bugged one, ive also added you to the credits. Ive added a tune from the lemmings in the background lol, bring back some memories.

Thanks. I knew it would help. I never give up on troubleshooting until I help the thread starter! Look how old this thread is? This why I never have problems with computers...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users