• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

There was talk of a modestly sized, single-deck car ferry last year. It would fit between railway pillars and access all parts of the coastline. GTASA has a car transporting COL surface and the handling can reduce wave movement. It would need suitable locations for loading and unloading. If we got all this together, it could add a dimension of gameplay which wasn't present in GTASA. smile.gif

Some examples of the thing we have in mind:Drivable ships are quite possible. For example, the Easter Bay Aircraft Carrier mod by NikT of the DRuG Crew:
user posted image
1024 x 768, 111kB.

I developed the handling and physics setup with them, so you can still use it as a runway:
user posted image
800 x 600, 115kB.

The main problems with ships are the COL limit and the draw distance. Walk to the ends of the Aircraft Carrier and it goes non-solid because you are so far away from its centre. Ships shorter than this with less interior detail would work fine.

What do other people thing about MISA featuring a large vessel of some sort?

simzebu
  • simzebu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:29 PM

Cool! I think that's a great idea!

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:26 PM Edited by Cerbera, 04 February 2007 - 07:11 PM.

I've been talking to TRN about this idea over IRC. He's agreed to set aside Lot 17 on GTI as a ferry port, just in case anything comes of it. I've added real-world pics to the first message.

I'd like it to replace the Dozer or the dump truck, so at least one of the ramps would work. First thing is to do experiments to see if this will even work, though.

Some people I'm going to PM to see if they are interested:
  • Picolini
  • GTAuron
I don't think it's worth trying to make AI cars interact with it or even have it spawn on boat paths. It would just be for the player.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:59 PM

In response to the PM, sure thing I'm game for making the port, probs base if off summin similar to the chain-link ferry near Swanage near Bournemouth.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:09 AM

What about the Hoverspeed Seacat Ferry that goes from Dover to Calais? I think it would be a cool ferry

user posted image

Cool idea, i'd love a ferry in MI.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:45 AM

Go for the Win icon14.gif

Cran: It would be cool too! smile.gif

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Feroci Racing

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Feb 4 2007, 19:26)
I'd like it to replace the Dozer or the dump truck, so at least one of the ramps would work. First thing is to do experiments to see if this will even work, though.

What? You can't do that. At least, not last time I tried. Changing vehicle types causes all sorts of problems ingame.

TRN4L
  • TRN4L

Novus Ordo Seclorum

• Members

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:05 AM

Diesel, i figured that would be the case. In my mind I'm thinking that (i think someone in IRC mentioned it) we could/should have two ferries, a passenger line and a freight/car line.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:36 AM Edited by Cerbera, 05 February 2007 - 09:40 AM.

Diesel: Picolini has done a lot of work with swapping vehicle types around, with some success. I'm not 100% sure if it's possible to do what we want, but it's worth experimenting with.

Cran: The ferry should fit through the railway bridge, even in high seas, so the player can take it everywhere. I don't think those big ones will fit. A downside is that big car ferries can't get close enough to a regular beach to drive straight onto them. With the small, flat car ferries you have a lot more freedom. smile.gif

TRN: Yeah that was me. tounge.gif I think a fancy passenger ferry as big as we can fit would be a nice in addition to a modestly sized, flat car ferry.

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

Well crap, I'm a bit late on that PM Cerbera, sorry. For some reason I didn't get that "You have a new PM" pop up....

I do like the idea and I'll for sure help out with this, I've taken a month or so break from modding and now I'm ready to go, you guys got me at the right time wink.gif

As Cerbera said, I've done a lot of testing w/ replacing vehicles with different types. I don't recall how my car to boat experiments turned out, but I'll test some stuff out tonight or tomorrow.

Also, does this boat have the 5K-ish poly limit too? I don't think it should be a problem since the ferry's shape isn't too complex. Just want to make sure.

Also, what's the COL setting you were talking about Cerbera? The car carrying one... how do I set that for the boat?

Oh, and which boat should I replace for this?

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:43 PM

As the ferry is to be large, I say a bit more than 5k.

We also need to decide on a name/logo for the company too, so we can both use it.

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:39 AM Edited by Picolini, 12 February 2007 - 05:08 AM.

Ooops, smack me silly and call me a fairy tounge.gif
I asked what vehicle to replace, obviously either the dozer or the Packer. I don't know if either of those are taken but I think the Packer would be a better option. Don't know why, I just think so. I see Cerbera suggested the Dumper, I'll try that one out.

Now... a name for it. I'm guessing we want some funny pun type name...
Ferry in itself is funny, so probably build off of that.

- Merry Ferry Transportation
- Ferry Automotive Gurus (F.A.Gs wink.gif ), could use any words with an A and G that make sense... best I could think of.

Those were the only two I can think of. I'm going to work on some test later on tonight and see what I can come up with. First I'll see if I can get the Packer to work as a boat. If not then the dozer... and any other vehicle with a movable part to see if it works. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:28 AM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Feb 5 2007, 20:06)
Cran: The ferry should fit through the railway bridge, even in high seas, so the player can take it everywhere. I don't think those big ones will fit. A downside is that big car ferries can't get close enough to a regular beach to drive straight onto them. With the small, flat car ferries you have a lot more freedom. smile.gif

Good point. You can't deny that Ferry is über cool, though! wink.gif

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:40 AM

Bad news guys... I've tried everything I could think of and I can't get a ramp to work on a boat.

I tried
-Packer
-Dumper
-Dozer
-Andromada

Nothing works... sad.gif

I'll keep thinking but I just don't think it's gonna happen. It seems to be that animation properties hard coded to certain vehicles only work if they are assigned the correct vehicle type in the vehicles.ide. I even tried assigning dozer anims to the packer and that didn't change anything.

Too bad, this would have been a cool mod.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:13 PM

Ah crap...hmmph.

As far as I remember, can't you attach cars to vehicles using the .scm? I'm sure a design without a ramp can be achieved, if a little interesting to drive and load up.

TRN4L
  • TRN4L

Novus Ordo Seclorum

• Members

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:42 AM

what about coding it so a "packer" spawns on top of a boat? and put the "packer" 's door dummy hidden while putting the boats dummy where you'd expect it... two vehicles, and we know there is a COL surface for carrying vehicles.

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Feroci Racing

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (TRN4L @ Feb 13 2007, 03:42)
what about coding it so a "packer" spawns on top of a boat? and put the "packer" 's door dummy hidden while putting the boats dummy where you'd expect it... two vehicles, and we know there is a COL surface for carrying vehicles.

What? I don't quite follow you here. It looks to me like you're suggesting you somehow manage to be in both the Packer and the boat at the same time? Huh? notify.gif

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:35 AM

Someone made a car air carrier a while pack. Search in Vehicles if interested..

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:12 PM Edited by Picolini, 13 February 2007 - 09:08 PM.

TR4NL's idea actually might kinda work, but it'd take some heavy SCM coding I'm guessing.

If you could some how force the Packer to be morphed to a boat then I think his idea might work. What I would suggest is you first go to the packer entrance, then lower the misc_a part. Then load up your car. Run back to the Packer, cloase the misc_a part. Then you get in the actual boat to drive it. It'd be like two seperate sections for each function of the boat.

I just don't know if the scm is capable of making two vehicles be formed as one. Also the placement would be a bitch too.

I have doubts about that working though, I don't know how having a car permanently stuck to a boat would affect it's handling and stuff.

An easier alternative would just be to have the Ferry ends flush with the dock, like on these ones Balboa Island Ferry.
The only thing is I'd have to not model the openable gates at each end, which would mean the cars would have to either be parked at an angle so they would slide with heavy braking and acceleration, or that COL cerbera was talking about better be nice and sticky in heavy waves and driving forces.

Edit: And the car air carrier Cran. is talking about is the one made by pinky, I'm pretty sure. I think think some one else made one too, but if I remember right it wasn't that good.

Edit 2:
Well, whether or not we can get the ferry to work like we wish it would, I started modeling a ferry today. It's based off the Balboa Island Ferry I posted above, and some parts from the ones Cerbera posted.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

What do you guys think? 3,190 tri's.

simzebu
  • simzebu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

Oooh! It's Perfect!

waddle48
  • waddle48

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:00 AM

OMG! I had the exact same idea (well nearly)!

A few months back, i thought to myself wouldn't it be great for a huge boat to float around SA, and you could board it somewhere on the coast and it would travel around on a path. I quickly whipped my map out and started plotting paths which the boat could take (Below).
user posted image

I started to draw up some cruise liner designs, but then realised alot of the bridges were too low, so i gave up on it. but i'm glad to see someone else thought of a similar idea! I'd love to sea (that waas awful XD) a ship, at the same sort of size like the aircraft carrier. that could possibly, travel round the outside of the state and pull into near SF airport (under the big bridges).

Good luck with it anyway.

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:41 AM

DrugNikT did release the SA aircraft carrier from the military base in SF. You can still download that some where I'm sure.

As they said earlier in this topic the boat will most likely only be usable by the player, no paths for it. And it's for the MI mod, not sure if you noticed or not.

A question about textures guys, what are my limits here? I'll try and keep them reasonable and try to use stock SA textures, but I want to know how much I can add. Amount of textures and res's would be nice to know. Total poly limit on this thing should be under 5K, no problem.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

Don't go overboard and try to make it look compatible with current SA style cars...but that doesn't mean use stock textures. Yes use vehiclelights128.tga and xvehicleenvmap128.tga etc etc, but don't worry about the rest I think.

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:35 PM

Ok, I just wanted to make there weren't any limits. I'm sure I'll be able to pull it off with a max size texture of 512x512, most likely I won't need to go over 256x256. Then maybe a couple small ones of a random size and SA textures for the rest.

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:28 AM Edited by Picolini, 17 February 2007 - 05:31 AM.

Here's the ferry ingame... it's all textured, but I don't really like it much, it's too bland. I used the metal textures from the aircraft carrier, but I think they don't contrast enough. I might just do some car color changeable scheme.
Also, I took a texture from NikT's carrier mod, not sure if he made it or not. I edited and used it for the dash you can see here...

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

So far with a regular col I can get the cars to stay on pretty well, even with over powered turning force at 60+mph and no walls. So with that COL setting Cerbera was talking about, it looks like car should stay on just fine. Needs to take the waves a bit better though, it can get a little bouncy and the cars move around. I could add a divider to keep them roughly in place...

and sorry for the bump... should be ok since it's on topic, yea? It's not like I'm spamming it up with useless posts.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:46 AM

That looks awesome! icon14.gif Looks very good! smile.gif

Gforce
  • Gforce

"Segregate and Rearrange" "The Hills"

• Feroci Racing
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:12 AM

that ferry is looking very nice ingame, any texturing you think it may need aside, my first impressions are it will do the job nicely but it's only when we get to play with it ingame that we could get a real feel for the way it behaves.

keep up the great work Pic, you're onto a winner here i think wink.gif

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:42 AM

Thanks GForce biggrin.gif
I just think the textureing is too bland in spots like as in the top pic you can hardly see the differents between the outer sides of the bench seats and the main floor.

I'll probably just leave the deck texture as is, but the control room exterior and bench seats will be white and car col compatible, or all the way car col compatible.

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:22 AM

Realy nice ferry, Picolini.
I can make on my illcom_c1_r12 lot place for ferry. But I need a few photos or plans, as it should look.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:14 PM

Not a bad place for one actually, That'll mean there's a possible place on the north of the island (c4_r1 could be adapted looking at it) and then there's yours on the south. Coupled along with the lot on GTI and we're already building quite a large infrastructure for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users