[Official] water.dat Management
Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:50 AM
I need control over all the water where the tunnels run underneath. Apart from that, someone else can run the water.dat or I can run it myself.
Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:18 AM
1. The 'sea'.
2. Pools and other personal water level uses.
3. The tunnels.
We need to discuss the best way of approaching this. Please reply.
Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:37 PM
1. Making a rough cutout of the island
2. Refining the rough cutout
3. Remake the parts of the refined cutout where the tunnels will go, thus making it possible to assign a different water type to these ocean tunnel pieces
4. Make the layers according to what you've build in 3
5. adding of pools, pools, etc...
I'm not sure about 5 being the last step. It might be the game reads the water.dat in a certain coordination order. I'm not sure about that though.
I need control over all the water where the tunnels run underneath.
Then I guess you'll be in control of all the water (give or take point 5). You can't make 4 without 3, 3 without 2 and 2 without 1. So a new problem comes foreward. Either you learn how to use the Max script, do it al by hand (that's a fun one, I tried that once), or wait for ReSpawn to release his G-tools water editor.
Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:40 PM
- create a map-sized plane in Max and cut out the rough shape of the islands
- cut out the tunnels, but keep the shapes
- run an optimization and/or fix some things by hand; maybe split some long triangles
- run a maxscript to move all verts to 2*round(x/2) positions
- fix those verts that leave gaps after moving
- copy tunnel shapes for additional layers
- add pools, lakes and other small water shapes by hand, taking care of the coordinates
- run a maxscript to export the triangles to a water.dat file, taking care of vertex order if necessary
- fix water parameters for pools and such if needed; or let the script do it
Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:02 PM
Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:31 AM
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users